PDA

View Full Version : When Did Harrell Hurt His Back?

Fritz
05-29-2009, 08:59 AM
I just don't know. In reading this article (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/46423567.html) in the JSO this morning, I see Todd Rosiak, the writer, make the following observation: ". . . but after two consecutive years of major back problems and minimal production . . ."

Okay. Harrell is entering his third year, and according to Rostiak - as far as I can tell - has had back troubles both years he has been in Green Bay. Later in the article, however, Rostiak writes that Harrell "has battled ankle and hip injuries in addition to his back issue, which required multiple surgeries after his rookie year."

So did Harrell hurt his back before his rookie year, during his rookie year, or in the weight room after his rookie year?

Al;so, in the same article, Harrell admits that "I haven't really did anything since I've been here."

Me, I have did a lot of things since I started posting.

Deputy Nutz
05-29-2009, 09:12 AM
humping your mom.

Fritz
05-29-2009, 09:26 AM
humping your mom.

I know that, Nutz, but when? It's been going on for years.

Joemailman
05-29-2009, 09:34 AM
I thought the only issue his rookie year was the arm injury. Although there have been reports that he had back problems going back to high school, the first I knew of a back problem with the Packers was last year when he hurt it lifting weights.

pbmax
05-29-2009, 09:41 AM
It was recovery from the arm issue the first year (2007). Then he hurt his back last offseason (2008).

If he has had hip or ankle work done, it would seem to be minor compared to the other two problems, since they were mentioned as the reasons he couldn't practice or play. But I remember neither. So the answer might be Favre.

Zool
05-29-2009, 10:03 AM
It was recovery from the arm issue the first year (2007). Then he hurt his back last offseason (2008).

If he has had hip or ankle work done, it would seem to be minor compared to the other two problems, since they were mentioned as the reasons he couldn't practice or play. But I remember neither. So the answer might be Favre.

The ankle was in college IIR.

sheepshead
05-29-2009, 11:30 AM
'bout a week back.

swede
05-29-2009, 12:05 PM
'bout a weak back.

fixed

Waldo
05-29-2009, 01:41 PM

Since coming to GB

2007 - Arm recovery held him out of doing much of camp and led to a slow start (in addition to failing his run test for the first week, but he was limited when he could practice). Fully cleared 2 weeks before the end of camp. Didn't play much early on, started getting in games then sprained his ankle (high type) mid-late October. Returned and played a lot in Dec and Jan, having some pretty good games.

2008 - Disc injury the first week of the S&C program in mid-march. Had surgery for it shortly after it happened. Missed all OTA's. Placed on PUP list and missed all of camp. Had 2nd surgery during the last week of camp. Came off the PUP list after the bye, playing sporadically from weeks 9-14. His back was still a problem, causing his hips to hurt, and he missed the final 3 games of the season.

2009 - No injury yet (fingers crossed)

Packerarcher
05-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Probably pushing the first of many unearned wheelbarrows of money to the bank.

HarveyWallbangers
05-29-2009, 11:11 PM
It would be a big bonus if this dude stayed healthy. Physically, he's the prototypical 3-4 DE.

http://media.journalinteractive.com/images/justin52809.jpg

Bretsky
05-29-2009, 11:43 PM
It would be a big bonus if this dude stayed healthy. Physically, he's the prototypical 3-4 DE.

absolutely agree; the guy has the talent if he can stay dedicated and healthy

While I'm not a fan yet, I can't completely dog on him or call him a Fraud because I do think he has the talent to put it together

SnakeLH2006
05-30-2009, 12:20 AM

absolutely agree; the guy has the talent if he can stay dedicated and healthy

While I'm not a fan yet, I can't completely dog on him or call him a Fraud because I do think he has the talent to put it together

Agreed Brett. That pic speaks volumes, but sometimes it takes some action. JH has proved NOTHING so far. Snake would love to be wrong, but JH is a bust so far. Let's prove many wrong and JH just rip it up this preseason...that shit would just go nuts in getting us wins. :)

Fritz
05-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Given Waldo's injury history on Harrell, and given Waldo's reliability, then the writer of the article is flat out wrong to write that back problems have dogged Harrell during his two seasons in Green Bay . . .

KYPack
05-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Agreed.

Thanks for doing the dirty work, Waldo. Your chronology is the way I remembered the situation.

JH's career has been a series of train wrecks, but the guy can still put it together and be a factor for us.

Pugger
05-30-2009, 10:56 AM
To me a bust is a player who flops on the field like Jamale Reynolds. Harrell isn't technically a bust but he is a disappointment because he can't stay healthy. I remember Flannigan (the fella who played center for us for a number of years a while back - am I spelling his last name right?) injured himself his first year but the staff back then was patient with him. It appears MM and company are being patient with JH. I'm hoping Harrell can pull it all together and put these injuries behind him. As Packer fans we all should hope so too. But if he does get on the field and stink out the joint then he is a bust.

pbmax
05-30-2009, 01:30 PM
2009 - No injury yet (fingers crossed)
Way to jinx him Waldo! :shock:

KYPack
05-30-2009, 07:42 PM
With the off-season, I've noticed Harrell played a little more than I remembered.

NFLN just had the Titan game on. In the 4th quarter, we needed a stop. Harrell went in for Jolly. On 3rd and five, Tenn ran a draw play. Harrell flat stoned Kevin Mawae (a good C) and snaked into the backfield. Chillar and Harrell made a key stop for us to hold Tenn late in the game.

I really thought Harrell played in a game or two. Actually he played in 6 games and made 13 tackles. 5 solo, 8 assists. Not what we paid for, but watch the guy. He is talented, we just need to get him on the field.

pbmax
05-30-2009, 09:32 PM
With the off-season, I've noticed Harrell played a little more than I remembered.

NFLN just had the Titan game on. In the 4th quarter, we needed a stop. Harrell went in for Jolly. On 3rd and five, Tenn ran a draw play. Harrell flat stoned Kevin Mawae (a good C) and snaked into the backfield. Chillar and Harrell made a key stop for us to hold Tenn late in the game.

I really thought Harrell played in a game or two. Actually he played in 6 games and made 13 tackles. 5 solo, 8 assists. Not what we paid for, but watch the guy. He is talented, we just need to get him on the field.
Absolutely. His rookie year, he would look lost at times, but he rarely went backward or got washed out. He might take the wrong gap, but he wasn't getting moved there.

I do remember him being high a few times and unable to get off a block to make a tackle, but the talent is clearly there. He would make a huge difference in the run defense. He just needs to stay on the field, fingers crossed.

SnakeLH2006
05-31-2009, 12:35 AM
I do remember him being high a few times and unable to get off a block to make a tackle, but the talent is clearly there. He would make a huge difference in the run defense. He just needs to stay on the field, fingers crossed.

Damn, I knew it. Snake warned Mission about smoking up with BJ this preseason, but Harrell now too? Damn. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
05-31-2009, 12:38 AM
I do remember him being high a few times.

I remember Ty being high a few times as well.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-31-2009, 12:38 AM

Damn, I knew it. Snake warned Mission about smoking up with BJ this preseason, but Harrell now too? Damn. :lol:

Damn, you got to the joke first.

SnakeLH2006
05-31-2009, 01:02 AM

Damn, you got to the joke first.

Snake never jokes. Only complete facts based on complex algorithms and mathematical formulas. I say if we ever run into Mission we smoke all his cache, if only to ensure our D-Lineman can function properly this season...Errr.. Yeah that's it. :oops:

KYPack
05-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Absolutely. His rookie year, he would look lost at times, but he rarely went backward or got washed out. He might take the wrong gap, but he wasn't getting moved there.

OK.

Enuff of the "High Times" open forum.

Harrell had a spectacular game in the last pre-season game of 1007 against the Titans. (I know, it's pre-season, 2 on 2's, etc)

He had a number of solos, pressures, but one play really stood out. He was dominating his man so bad, JH was using him like a plaything. On a pass rush, he backed his man into the QB, the QB got off a hurried toss. Harrell discarded his blocker, & jumped up. He deflected the pass, caught it, and returned it for a TD.

& Nobody ever mentioned it. It wasn't in the JS article about the game, nobody on Rats said anything, nada was heard about that play. Harrell has the ralent to be a great. But he's gotta get on the turf somehow.

Waldo
05-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Did you notice how much better his tech was last year than his rookie year.

He did a very good job of keeping his pads square and playing low last year.

Last year when they doubled him, he was ready for it. As a rookie he wasn't.

He was dominating his man so bad, JH was using him like a plaything.
That has definitely happened more than just that once.

cpk1994
05-31-2009, 11:54 AM

OK.

Harrell had a spectacular game in the last pre-season game of 1007 against the Titans. (I know, it's pre-season, 2 on 2's, etc)

He had a number of solos, pressures, but one play really stood out. He was dominating his man so bad, JH was using him like a plaything. On a pass rush, he backed his man into the QB, the QB got off a hurried toss. Harrell discarded his blocker, & jumped up. He deflected the pass, caught it, and returned it for a TD.

& Nobody ever mentioned it. It wasn't in the JS article about the game, nobody on Rats said anything, nada was heard about that play. Harrell has the ralent to be a great. But he's gotta get on the turf somehow.ACtually, since it was the Titans, he got plenty of time against the 1's. Remember, Fisher plays his ones for more than a half in the final preseason game.

pbmax
05-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Harrell had a spectacular game in the last pre-season game of 1007 against the Titans...
He looks much younger than his age. I wouldn't put him a day past 750 years old. :lol:

pbmax
05-31-2009, 02:01 PM
More seriously, the GBPG has him 15 pounds overweight from his team-assigned goal weight (320 vs. 305). He says he gained the weight while home eating too much barbecue. That's a lot of food in a single month.

15 pounds isn't exactly eating your way out of the league, but his attitude (now that I know I have a chance to stay on the Packers I have all the motivation I need) speaks of a immature approach. He has had that chance for the last two years and has packed on unwanted weight twice now.

It would be a non-issue at 15 pounds for a DE except for his injury history.

SnakeLH2006
05-31-2009, 02:16 PM
15 lbs. in a month for a dude that size is nothing to worry about, but for a dude with back issues, perhaps.

So it looks like a big tease, but if healthy he could be a force. Now if Jenkins comes back heathy too, who starts on the 3 man front (I know, I know they'll all rotate time)? Jenkins, Pickett, Raji most likely? With all of JH's injury issues, I'd have no probs. seeing him work himself in off the bench to get some reps.

Patler
05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
More seriously, the GBPG has him 15 pounds overweight from his team-assigned goal weight (320 vs. 305). He says he gained the weight while home eating too much barbecue. That's a lot of food in a single month.

15 pounds isn't exactly eating your way out of the league, but his attitude (now that I know I have a chance to stay on the Packers I have all the motivation I need) speaks of a immature approach. He has had that chance for the last two years and has packed on unwanted weight twice now.

Fifteen pounds for guys like that happens very quickly. They relax a bit, don't work out and sweat, and they get 5-10 pounds almost overnight. It happened in a part of the off season when players are supposed to relax and recuperate. It happens for all players who have to work to keep weight off. We've seen the same thing with all the "big boys" the Packers have had since Gilbert Brown. It's just that their weight problems were alluded to generally, and the press reports Harrell's in detail, almost mouthful by mouthful.

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2009, 02:45 PM

I don't know. He sure doesn't look that fat for a big DL. You want a little girth on your linemen, don't you? I'm not sure I want my linemen looking like WRs. Demetrius Underwood and Tony Mandarich were probably the two most athletic linemen in NFL history.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-31-2009, 06:47 PM

I don't know. He sure doesn't look that fat for a big DL. You want a little girth on your linemen, don't you? I'm not sure I want my linemen looking like WRs. Demetrius Underwood and Tony Mandarich were probably the two most athletic linemen in NFL history.

I dont' know about Tony, how bout we sub the Frig.

pbmax
05-31-2009, 06:57 PM
I would agree with every comment about about the weight gain being natural esp. during the offseason. I would then complain about this coverage like I did last spring when the world fell down on this guy about getting out of shape and packing on weight between Jan 20 and the second week of March.

But he has a back problem. This isn't the time for extra barbecue. If you want to play, you just say no to seconds.

rbaloha1
05-31-2009, 07:08 PM
JH has flashed explosive power. Should flourish as a DE.

Waldo
05-31-2009, 09:25 PM

And the JSO disagrees with the GBPG, but they just used a picture and didn't say anything.

You make the call....

Is the man on the left fat and overweight and a mere 12 pounds lighter than the man on the right?

http://media.jsonline.com/images/264*400/mjs-packers29-23-of-hoffman.jpg-packers29.jpg

He looks really good IMO. Really good. If that is what him being overweight means......who cares. Just look at the guy. He big time passes the eyeball test.

KYPack
05-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Harrell had a spectacular game in the last pre-season game of 1007 against the Titans...
He looks much younger than his age. I wouldn't put him a day past 750 years old. :lol:

I dunno, PB.

1007 was a big year for the Pack. We just got nipped by the Huns and we blew out the Visigoths.

Harrell is a coin flip, but man if he gets going, he can be huge for us. We could have a great DLine rotation with Jenkins, Jolly, Harrell, Pickett, Raji, and some of the others. For instance, I expect zero from Montgomery, but what if the 3-4 End is his thing?

Justin has all the talent in the world. He's had some lousy luck. We are due to get a healthy season from him. It could be our year on D.

Scott Campbell
05-31-2009, 09:49 PM
I hope you guys aren't just toying with our emotions. It's been a long time since we've had a nasty and deep defensive line.

woodbuck27
05-31-2009, 09:50 PM

OK.

& Nobody ever mentioned it. It wasn't in the JS article about the game, nobody on Rats said anything, nada was heard about that play. Harrell has the ralent to be a great. But he's gotta get on the turf somehow.

ahhhh. . . sure that wasn't just a dream KY? Ok sure and sure. It was in the pre-season.

Everyone wants this kid to come through. All we can do is hope.

GO JH !

MJZiggy
05-31-2009, 10:12 PM
http://media.jsonline.com/images/264*400/mjs-packers29-23-of-hoffman.jpg-packers29.jpg

Dude...it's called a q-tip.

pbmax
06-01-2009, 07:13 AM

He just wants to be sure he heard his jersey correctly. It said "remember to come back next Monday and don't eat any of Justin's Mom BBQ this weekend."

Fritz
06-01-2009, 07:33 AM

He just wants to be sure he heard his jersey correctly. It said "remember to come back next Monday and don't eat any of Justin's Mom BBQ this weekend."

The guy on the right is definitely shorter, too. Man...that new weight room coach must have some crazy exercises.

KYPack
06-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Harrell is listed at 6'4" - 320
Raji is listed at 6'2" - 337.

Looks like Raji is a tad shorter than advertised, mebbe.

SnakeLH2006
06-03-2009, 02:28 AM
Harrell is listed at 6'4" - 320
Raji is listed at 6'2" - 337.

Looks like Raji is a tad shorter than advertised, mebbe.

...Definitely not horizontally. I wonder if GB get's on Raji for the BBQ's yet? :D