PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line Roll Call

pbmax
05-29-2009, 10:35 AM
JSO had this as the first group on the O Line:

Moll - College - Spitz - Sitton - Barbre

Now Moll is subbing Chad Clifton who is rehabbing his knee and shoulders. Wells is also rehabbing so Spitz is no lock to remain #1 at center.

But Moll at LT would seem to indicate the coaches were serious about not moving the young guys around as much. I think the musical chairs tag on the note misses the point entirely. What say you?

Joemailman
05-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I say that Moll possibly becoming Clifton's backup at LT is his last chance to make the team. He is finished at RT and RG. I'm glad that it likely means that an injury to Clifton would not result in moving Colledge out of the LG spot.

Clifton/Colledge/Spitz/Sitton/Barbre is the likely starting lineup unless Barbre can't tie down the RT job.

Harlan Huckleby
05-29-2009, 11:11 AM
I would rather see Colledge as the starting LT, and Clifton to challenge for the starting job this summer.

I don't count on Clifton anymore.

And who could possibly be comfortable with Moll as the backup LT. Not even Moll.

RashanGary
05-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I see two options:

1. Do what they are doing and count on Cliffy. He's barely missed a start in 8 years. In this case you play Moll at LT so Colledge can be fully ready to rip, shred and tear at his permanent LG position.

2. Assume Cliffy's career is over. In this case, you put Colledge at LT and set the line accordingly after that move.

I'm OK with either option. It looks like they went with option 1, are counting on Clifton and like PB said, are serious about not shuffling the line as much.

It also shows that they don't consider Moll a starter. He's a veteran stop gap that can shuffle the line. Preston is a similar type player. Neither guy kills you, but you get the feeling they'd dump either as soon as a young prospect worth his salt comes along.

Bossman641
05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
And who could possibly be comfortable with Moll as the backup LT.

I'd imagine opposing DE's are VERY comfortable with that situation.

Packnut
05-29-2009, 01:48 PM
The fact that Moll is still in the mix is depressing at best. He sucks and was nothing more than a wasted pick.

RashanGary
05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
The fact that Moll is still in the mix is depressing at best. He sucks and was nothing more than a wasted pick.

Sounds like the Packer are in trouble, huh?

bobblehead
05-29-2009, 01:57 PM

A fifth round pick who has started multiple games at multiple positions and fought admirably along the way is a waste?? You have unreasonable expectations my pessimistic packer brethren

Packnut
05-29-2009, 03:07 PM

A fifth round pick who has started multiple games at multiple positions and fought admirably along the way is a waste?? You have unreasonable expectations my pessimistic packer brethren

Plenty of 5th rd picks have made good nfl careers. How many times do you need to see Moll get pushed into the backfield before you realize how bad he really is? He's done NOTHING but take up space.

I don't blame him. O-line was'nt his position. It was a stupid idea to take a guy that high and teach him a new position. Do that shit with un-signed free agent types. Sometimes Teddy has brain cramps-this was one of them......

rbaloha1
05-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Maybe LT is Moll's calling card. As Larry McCarren has noted the continually flip flopping is not a good thing.

Meredith is probably the the long term answer.

Waldo
05-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Plenty of 5th rd picks have made good nfl careers. How many times do you need to see Moll get pushed into the backfield before you realize how bad he really is? He's done NOTHING but take up space.

I don't blame him. O-line was'nt his position. It was a stupid idea to take a guy that high and teach him a new position. Do that shit with un-signed free agent types. Sometimes Teddy has brain cramps-this was one of them......

Moll was a LT his senior year in college, first team All-WAC.

Packnut
05-29-2009, 07:12 PM

I'd rather have a guy with FOUR years experience at a position, not one. And first team all WAC team does'nt carry much weight.

Joemailman
05-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Relax, Packnut. I don't see Moll making the team. Clifton, Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, Barbre, Giacomini, and Lang are locks. Wells, Preston and Meredith are next. Moll is at best #11 right now, and only 9 will make it.

SnakeLH2006
05-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Relax, Packnut. I don't see Moll making the team. Clifton, Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, Barbre, Giacomini, and Lang are locks. Wells, Preston and Meredith are next. Moll is at best #11 right now, and only 9 will make it.

Truest shit EVER. Moll needs to go find out if he can flip burgers. Everyone has a niche. Maybe that is Moll's calling cuz god knows he can't run-block or pass-protect worth a shit in the NFL. :shock: 8-)

Fritz
05-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Ouch. Waldo just slapped Packnut like a be-atch.

Patler
05-30-2009, 10:54 AM

I'd rather have a guy with FOUR years experience at a position, not one. And first team all WAC team does'nt carry much weight.

So I suppose you would have stayed away from Kampman who had only two years experience on the D-line, after having been a linebacker in high school and his first two years in college?

Much of drafting success is assessing potential beyond performance. Moll may not be a long term answer, but he hasn't been a complete waste either. He has more starts after 3 seasons than Marco Rivera had, and he has outlasted guys with better college resumes than his. Yes, this training camp will be crucial in his long term Packer future, and he has a real uphill fight to make the final roster. He's beyond the "lets try and develop him" stage that younger players fall into. Even if he is not around in September, and I doubt that he will be, he was worth a shot at that point of the draft. He served a purpose on a team that was woefully short of O-line talent at the time, if for no other reason than providing versatility as a so-so performer at multiple positions.

DonHutson
05-30-2009, 01:59 PM
It's May.

Scott Campbell
05-30-2009, 02:56 PM

So I suppose you would have stayed away from Kampman who had only two years experience on the D-line, after having been a linebacker in high school and his first two years in college?

Much of drafting success is assessing potential beyond performance. Moll may not be a long term answer, but he hasn't been a complete waste either. He has more starts after 3 seasons than Marco Rivera had, and he has outlasted guys with better college resumes than his. Yes, this training camp will be crucial in his long term Packer future, and he has a real uphill fight to make the final roster. He's beyond the "lets try and develop him" stage that younger players fall into. Even if he is not around in September, and I doubt that he will be, he was worth a shot at that point of the draft. He served a purpose on a team that was woefully short of O-line talent at the time, if for no other reason than providing versatility as a so-so performer at multiple positions.

By the time you get to the 5th round all the guys with no warts have been long gone. You pick your poison and gamble on a guy that has either a lack of athleticism, size, experience or some combination of all of that. Griping about Ted picking Tony Moll is the equivalent of my wife griping about me leaving the seat on the toilet up. Big frigg'n deal.

Scott Campbell
05-30-2009, 02:57 PM

And Patler nailed him as he spun around. I really shouldn't laugh.

pbmax
05-30-2009, 10:30 PM
GB Press Gazette has the same lineup for the first days of OTAs on the O Line, but they also included the 2nd line guys.

It's harder to read into anything on the offensive line, because C Scott Wells (shoulder), RT Breno Giacomini (ankle) and T Chad Clifton (knees) are recovering from surgery and didn't practice. From right to left, the No. 1 line was Allen Barbre, Josh Sitton, Jason Spitz, Daryn Colledge and Tony Moll. The No. 2 line was T.J. Lang, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Duke Preston, Nevin McCaskill and Jamon Meredith.

Its going to be fun to see that hypenated name on a jersey back. :lol:

JSO also had Lang getting work at Right Guard.

bobblehead
05-30-2009, 10:42 PM

See, take an afternoon off and someone else does my dirty work....well done guys.

pbmax
05-30-2009, 10:58 PM
From JSO:

Lang started out of RG with the 2s, and when he was there Dane Randolph was RT. After some time, Lang went to RT, Dietrich-Smith to RG and Duke Preston went to center. Dietrich-Smith was at center for the 2s prior to the switch.

SnakeLH2006
05-31-2009, 12:39 AM

True, but that's like firing a pistol at King Kong, then Godzilla showing up to breathe fire on you too. Not an enviable position to be in. But still worth watching. :shock: :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
05-31-2009, 12:45 AM

Shut the fuck up! You with your accuracy and facts.

I'm tired of it. Damn tired of it.

Harlan Huckleby
05-31-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm not so thrilled about the state of the offensive line. Having to wait and hope that Clifton can be pieced back together for one more "one more year" is frustrating. Spitz ought to be the starting center, College the starting LT.

But i have to keep reminding myself the glass is half full. They have some promising young players, and getting Tauscher back is an unexpected bonus.

bobblehead
05-31-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm not so thrilled about the state of the offensive line. Having to wait and hope that Clifton can be pieced back together for one more "one more year" is frustrating. Spitz ought to be the starting center, College the starting LT.

But i have to keep reminding myself the glass is half full. They have some promising young players, and getting Tauscher back is an unexpected bonus.

Actually we should be short one BJ and plus one Oher to play LT next year.

Harlan Huckleby
06-01-2009, 12:38 AM
I think I decoded Bobblehead's cryptic post. He is still sore at Mike Sherman.

Fritz
06-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I think I decoded Bobblehead's cryptic post. He is still sore at Mike Sherman.

And I see a pattern of deeply-buried resentment toward Forest Gregg in your posts, Blue Dog.