PDA

View Full Version : Favre Indecision

HarveyWallbangers
04-06-2006, 07:47 AM
I've stuck up for Brett, and I don't think his waivering has anything more to do with him not knowing if he wants to return to a bad team. However, I can't help but feel that his indecision is hurting the Packers chances at getting Charles Woodson. Woodson has to know that this team has little chance at the playoffs without Favre. With Favre, they could rebound if with their resignings and signing of Pickett and Manuel, they get their injured guys back, and they have a good draft.

MJZiggy
04-06-2006, 07:55 AM
I don't know about that, because right now everyone says he's leaning toward coming back, so it's just a bit of a calculated risk on Woodson's part. I think the biggest stumbling block is the relationship with Bucs staff and the fact that when it's -50 degrees here, it's still in the 60's in Tampa, though training camp's a bitch. I can't fault him for choosing Tampa over WI 'cause I did it myself.

MadtownPacker
04-06-2006, 07:55 AM
I've stuck up for Brett, and I don't think his waivering has anything more to do with him not knowing if he wants to return to a bad team. However, I can't help but feel that his indecision is hurting the Packers chances at getting Charles Woodson. Woodson has to know that this team has little chance at the playoffs without Favre. With Favre, they could rebound if with their resignings and signing of Pickett and Manuel, they get their injured guys back, and they have a good draft.

Not sure about that because Favre said only 1 more year which he hasnt said before so Woodson knows he wont play out his contract with #4 at QB. Thinking Woodson is tired of seeing the raiders D give up 30 almost weekly. In tampa he woudl play on a D full of playmakers that are capable of stopping anyones O.

HarveyWallbangers
04-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Not sure about that because Favre said only 1 more year which he hasnt said before so Woodson knows he wont play out his contract with #4 at QB. Thinking Woodson is tired of seeing the raiders D give up 30 almost weekly. In tampa he woudl play on a D full of playmakers that are capable of stopping anyones O.

He might know Favre will play only one year, but by this time next year people will probably know if Rodgers has what it takes, the Packers could draft their future QB this year, or they could acquire a different QB next year. I get your point, but I think it's obvious that, for a guy like Woodson, knowing Favre will be here this year would make this situation more attractive. I don't think many people are thinking any more than Favre is leaning towards coming back. What's come out in the last week is that it's not a done deal. I think the national sentiment is that he won't come back because Thompson is about building this team through the draft, and that will take time.

Bretsky
04-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Who exactly said Favre said "one more year" if at all ? I'm not convinced this is from a remotely credible source, and we all know he can change his mind if BF and GB have some success next year.

MadtownPacker
04-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Is Fremont, OH a cold place? Just curious cuz thats where he is from.

Guess TT just needs to sweeten the pot and Woodson will forget all about Chucky. Then Favre can say "I like Polar Bear" and announce he is coming back after the Pack trades down and loads up on picks.

MadtownPacker
04-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Who exactly said Favre said "one more year" if at all ? I'm not convinced this is from a remotely credible source, and we all know he can change his mind if BF and GB have some success next year.

From what I read, Favre said that himself at a charity function he was at with McNair. Too bad for McNair the way the classless Titans org is treating him.

MJZiggy
04-06-2006, 08:22 AM
But then again, if Favre retires and the Titans dump McNair...

HarveyWallbangers
04-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Guess TT just needs to sweeten the pot

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening.

HarveyWallbangers
04-06-2006, 08:26 AM
But then again, if Favre retires and the Titans dump McNair...

That's kind of what I'm saying. I think knowing Favre will be here at least a year is a bonus for a FA. A FA might figure the Packers will take care of the QB position by next year. Rodgers or a rookie QB might be ready by next year, or they could get a guy like McNair or Schaub. This year, if Favre doesn't return, they will have Rodgers (who doesn't look ready) or a rookie QB (who likely wouldn't be ready).

Bretsky, Favre said in an interview that if he comes back, this will be his final year. It was a direct quote.

MadtownPacker
04-06-2006, 08:33 AM
I have a feeling Woodson will be signed by the Pack. Dont know why but it is just a gut feeling. TT believes in a strong defense and this would be a good move even though Woodson is a slight risk.

All this leaning towards Tampa talk is just his agent scamming for some more cash IMO.

esoxx
04-06-2006, 08:38 AM
I guess it would help if the Packers actually OFFERED Woodson a contract. I'm not going to lay any of this lack of FA signing stuff at Favre's door. It goes on TT's resume, no one else's.

MJZiggy
04-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Wasn't there a rumor that he was going to announce something at his charity golf tournament that started on the 6th? Hmmmm.

MadtownPacker
04-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Wasn't there a rumor that he was going to announce something at his charity golf tournament that started on the 6th? Hmmmm.
NOOOOOOOOO!! I want them to drag it out til draft day to piss everyone off and make Al Davis give up the farm for the #5.

MJZiggy
04-06-2006, 09:01 AM
23 days and counting...

woodbuck27
04-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Is Fremont, OH a cold place? Just curious cuz thats where he is from.

Guess TT just needs to sweeten the pot and Woodson will forget all about Chucky. Then Favre can say "I like Polar Bear" and announce he is coming back after the Pack trades down and loads up on picks.

Yup! One brings the other and Favre and one year could change real fast if the Packers do re-bound.

Now in that statement I'm in my world not TT's. I really believe that the signs do point to Ted wanting Favre gone ASAP and it's just that way and noone will ever admit where it came from.

Scott Campbell said a few days ago.Maybe in 20 year's Ted Thompson writes a tell all book but he'd have to write better than he speaks.Got it !

Maybe Brett will pen it for him?

Chubbyhubby
04-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Harvey you say that Rodgers does not look ready? How do you know? Explain yourself please.

HarveyWallbangers
04-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Harvey you say that Rodgers does not look ready? How do you know? Explain yourself please.

Well, I have no facts to back me up, but I felt it would be good for him to sit behind Favre for a couple of years--like Hasselbeck, Brunell, and Brooks. Then again, I've never been a big fan of his. He didn't exactly do much in preseason or his short stint in the regular season last year. Until he shows me something in the preseason, I won't believe he's ready. If the Packers thought Rodgers was ready, I would think this whole offseason would go differently. I don't think they'd be as patient with Favre. They still feel Favre gives them the best option to win--despite his 29 picks last year.

imscott72
04-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Thats exactly what I was saying in the Woodson thread. You can't blame him for not wanting to come here when Tampa appears to have the MUCH better team with a lot less drama. Even if Brett does come back, how is the JWalk situation going to work out between those 2? Too many unknowns. Not a situation a free agent really wants to walk into. You have to put yourself in their shoes too. Not too mention the bonus of temps in the 60's-70's in the winter vs zeros.. :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
04-06-2006, 12:26 PM
No doubt. That's why they need to overspend a little to get FAs right now. They don't have to get a bunch, but a guy like Woodson could really help this defense become a legitimately good defense. They are in position to frontload the contract without hurting their future cap much.

Chubbyhubby
04-06-2006, 02:22 PM

Well, I have no facts to back me up, but I felt it would be good for him to sit behind Favre for a couple of years--like Hasselbeck, Brunell, and Brooks. Then again, I've never been a big fan of his. He didn't exactly do much in preseason or his short stint in the regular season last year. Until he shows me something in the preseason, I won't believe he's ready. If the Packers thought Rodgers was ready, I would think this whole offseason would go differently. I don't think they'd be as patient with Favre. They still feel Favre gives them the best option to win--despite his 29 picks last year.

Thanks Havey for the explanation.

If Favre does come back many assume that it will be just for this year and he'll hang it up. I agree that Rodgers didn't impress me either last year. With M3 QB camp this year and Rodgers participation should help him improve greatly. Rodgers have to come into this year as though he will be the starter. Unlike the mentioned QB's that sat while Favre was QB wil not happen with Rodgers. I remember like it was yesterday that "the Majik man" got injured on a sack and the Back up at the time Brett Favre came in... Everyone was mis pronouncing his name wrong. He was wild in that first game, Throwing balls WAY out of bounds, very sloppy however they did win that game and as they say "THE REST IS HISTORY...." Who would have thought after that first game replacing the Majik Man during that game Favre would be entering his 15th season accoplishing 3 MVP's having won SuperBowl. Is Aarron Rodgers the Next Brett Favre? NO but he is our next QB.