PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tidbits from OTA

Bossman641
05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Been reading through whatever information I can find pertaining to the practice yesterday (Finally, ACTUAL FOOTBALL NEWS!!) and saw a few items I thought were interesting.

In team periods Rodgers had 11 attempts and Flynn 10. Brohm only had 1 and said he had a couple scrambles. Either Brohm didn't get nearly as many snaps, the pass rush was out of control and he didn't have a chance, or he still hasn't grasped the offense and is thinking way too much and doesn't know where to go with the ball. Brohm is one of those guys I was hoping would make a jump this year as he was a huge disappointment. Let's hope this isn't a sign of the game not slowing down for him at all.

Bedard said it was the most chatter and hand signals he had ever seen from the defense. Good sign

Harris' transition may be going better than feared, as everyone was thrilled with his adjustments so far.

CB's don't move with motion. Apparently there was a lot of man to man with some zone switched in.

SnakeLH2006
05-30-2009, 01:28 AM
That shit is crazy as Snake is all about Flynn (love that guy) but surprising Brohm (poster boy) isn't getting his chance with all the hoopla over his status. Wow. Love Flynn as he'll be at least he'll be a Doug Peterson. What worries Snake is that Brohm will be a Leaf, or Akili. That is possible. But still want Brohm to be a Hasselebeck for at least the draft picks.

Fritz
05-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Been reading through whatever information I can find pertaining to the practice yesterday (Finally, ACTUAL FOOTBALL NEWS!!) and saw a few items I thought were interesting.

In team periods Rodgers had 11 attempts and Flynn 10. Brohm only had 1 and said he had a couple scrambles. Either Brohm didn't get nearly as many snaps, the pass rush was out of control and he didn't have a chance, or he still hasn't grasped the offense and is thinking way too much and doesn't know where to go with the ball. Brohm is one of those guys I was hoping would make a jump this year as he was a huge disappointment. Let's hope this isn't a sign of the game not slowing down for him at all.

Bedard said it was the most chatter and hand signals he had ever seen from the defense. Good sign

Harris' transition may be going better than feared, as everyone was thrilled with his adjustments so far.

CB's don't move with motion. Apparently there was a lot of man to man with some zone switched in.

Chatter and hand signals? As in:

"Hey, d-ckhead, you're lined up wrong!" (Guy flips the bird)

"Back at ya [flips the bird back] a--hole! You're lined up wrong!"

"F-ck you!"

"F-ck you!"

Lots of chatter and hand signals! It's all good!

Fred's Slacks
05-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I thought I read somewhere that the no 3 qb will get about half the reps as the no 2. Can't remember where I read that but it's a bit discouraging for Brohm. I would think when you have 2 young QBs like this you would split their reps if you think they will be competing for the number 2 spot. So either they are just stuborn about how they split the reps or they don't believe that there is a real competition for the no 2 spot and that it's Flynn's outright.

alquaal
05-30-2009, 10:33 AM
I was there on Thursday and did notice that the D was really fired up. Cheering each other on. Lot of cussing too for whatever thats worth. Good to see Kevin Greene out there running around. I am no judge of QB talent but Flynn looked sharper than Rodgers for most of the practice. Tight accurate spirals with good velocity. AR was chucking some wobblers. Intersting sidenote, TT went out of his way to walk through the little crowd of fans several times to chat and sign a few autographs.

If anyone ever gets a chance to go to one of these OTAs, jump on it!
You are literally on the field with the players. (well the sideline anyway)
For free!

My wife took quite a few photos, I will try and post some later today.
Hopefully there not all of Clay Matthews, I think she might have a crush.

PlantPage55
05-30-2009, 10:40 AM
AR was chucking some wobblers.

That's surprising to hear, considering Bedard said that he's looked very sharp and has been one of the highlights of camp.

RashanGary
05-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the update. That's very interesting about Flynn. He only had 56% completion % in college. If that's cleaned up, who knows.

alquaal
05-30-2009, 11:12 AM
AR was chucking some wobblers.

That's surprising to hear, considering Bedard said that he's looked very sharp and has been one of the highlights of camp.

The accuracy seemed to be there, it just wasn't those pretty spirals he usually throws. Probably just taking his time warming up. You could tell he was having alot of fun, joking around. He is still the best QB on the field.

The upshot being I am alot more comfortable with Flynn at backup.

HarveyWallbangers
05-30-2009, 11:43 AM
GBPG also had an article talking about how good Rodgers looked.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090528/PKR07/90528154/1058/PKR01

I wouldn't read too much into the first practice. Brohm will get nearly equal reps to Flynn, just like last year. Many teams carry 4 QBs in camp, so the fact that they only have 3 means they'll all get plenty of opportunities to show their stuff.

Scott Campbell
05-30-2009, 11:54 AM

I know everybody really wants Brohm to beat him out because of his status as a second round pick. But if Flynn can turn into a stud backup, then I'm all for it. I'm ready to forget about the draft pedigree stuff. May the best man win.

RashanGary
05-30-2009, 12:44 PM

I know everybody really wants Brohm to beat him out because of his status as a second round pick. But if Flynn can turn into a stud backup, then I'm all for it. I'm ready to forget about the draft pedigree stuff. May the best man win.

Agreed. They have about the same everything (arm, size, mobility). So Flynn was underrated coming out of college, you can't knock him on that forever. At this point, I think just develop them both equally through camp and whichever plays better, give him the #2 job and leadership of the scout team.

I like that they have Flynn #2. It shows they don't care where you were drafted. Flynn earned the job and it's his until someone takes it from him.

RashanGary
05-30-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't see any reason to pick one right now and give him all the snaps though. Like Harvey said, they only have 3 QB's. There are more than enough footballs to go around. Give them equal footing through the preseason and give the job to whoever performs best in the preseason games and in practice.

GBRulz
06-01-2009, 09:06 AM
JH, have you been to any of the practices this year? I think I'm going over on Wednesday to check it out. Besides, I have to test the new zoom lens on something :oops:

RashanGary
06-01-2009, 10:02 AM
JH, have you been to any of the practices this year? I think I'm going over on Wednesday to check it out. Besides, I have to test the new zoom lens on something :oops:

If you still have my #, send me a text and I'll add you to my new phone. If I end up going, it'll be for about an hour (somewhere in the middle). I'm actually thinking about holding out until they get Nitchke field up and running. I'm looking forward to the better seating and better view without fences.

Fritz
06-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Or someone?

GBRulz
06-01-2009, 11:42 AM

Or someone?

Na, the EC is gone :wink:

Scott Campbell
06-01-2009, 12:04 PM

????

I thought you moved. Does this mean we'll be getting some exclusive PackerRats training camp pictures this year?

HarveyWallbangers
06-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Na, the EC is gone :wink:

This guy takes offense to your comment.

http://www.packers.com/team/players/matthews_clay/#

GBRulz
06-01-2009, 12:44 PM
SC-

I went down to NC for a job transfer, but I've been back in GB since the end of March. I didn't fully up and move until I made sure I liked the area, etc. Well, I didn't care for Asheville (too far from the ocean) so I came back to GB. Selling my house here and then I'm moving to Columbia or Charleston, SC for good. I've had it with WI winters. My plan is to stay in WI until Sept/Oct.

Go Panthers...LOL

GBRulz
06-01-2009, 12:49 PM

If you still have my #, send me a text and I'll add you to my new phone. If I end up going, it'll be for about an hour (somewhere in the middle). I'm actually thinking about holding out until they get Nitchke field up and running. I'm looking forward to the better seating and better view without fences.

I don't have your # anymore. PM me if you are going on Wed.

I don't mind practices on either field as the crowds are so minimal for OTA's anyhow. Part of why it pisses me off that M3 has so many of these inside and closed to the public.

Scott Campbell
06-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I've had it with WI winters.

I get it. I did the same thing 18 years ago. Only I disliked the summer humidity nearly as much as the winters. There's lots of interesting places to live out there.

Good to hear we get some TC pix one more time.

HarveyWallbangers
06-01-2009, 01:27 PM
SC-

I went down to NC for a job transfer, but I've been back in GB since the end of March. I didn't fully up and move until I made sure I liked the area, etc. Well, I didn't care for Asheville (too far from the ocean) so I came back to GB. Selling my house here and then I'm moving to Columbia or Charleston, SC for good. I've had it with WI winters. My plan is to stay in WI until Sept/Oct.

Go Panthers...LOL

Charleston is a great area. I haven't been to Columbia. The Panthers play in North Carolina, so you won't feel the need to root for them if you live in South Carolina.
:D

Chevelle2
06-01-2009, 02:23 PM
SC-

Go Panthers...LOL

My family and I are considering moving to the triangle area. Are you familiar with i, if so what is it like?

Administrator
06-01-2009, 03:52 PM
I've had it with WI winters.

I get it. I did the same thing 18 years ago. Only I disliked the summer humidity nearly as much as the winters. There's lots of interesting places to live out there.

Good to hear we get some TC pix one more time.

In a move to SC, you won't be leaving behind the humidty though, that's for sure. That'll only get worse.

SC is really nice though. Only been there a couple of times, but really enjoyed it.

Congrats GBRulz! Assuming it is a great opportunity for you or you wouldn't go.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-01-2009, 06:56 PM
SC-

Go Panthers...LOL

My family and I are considering moving to the triangle area. Are you familiar with i, if so what is it like?

One big Sub minus the urb.

Lurker64
06-01-2009, 07:02 PM

Like Mike Nolan's defense?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-01-2009, 07:50 PM

Ty admits he doesn't get this. Elucidate please.

Noodle
06-01-2009, 08:48 PM
GB

Have you decided between Columbia and Charleston? I've lived in Charleston and spent a fair amount of time in Columbia, and I have opinions about both. But they're pointless if you've already decided.

Either way, I have a great love for SC. Though we're going to miss having you be the eyes and ears on thr ground of the Rats.

Carolina_Packer
06-02-2009, 12:06 AM
SC-

Go Panthers...LOL

My family and I live in the Triangle and we love it. The Winters are awesome. The golf courses don't close. You still get a change of seasons, just not as extreme as in the North. The cost of living is quite affordable compared to a lot of markets. We are positioned two hours from the Atlantic coast and two hours West to the mountains, while 4 hours from D.C. It's a nice life here. Good luck deciding.

KYPack
06-02-2009, 08:19 AM

Mike Nolan's nickel packages were dubbed Sub packages (Common defensive terminology, really). His sub package with 6 DB's was called the Big Sub. Niner fans thought this was some kind of secret weapon for awhile. Then, they realized Nolan didn't have the people to run the thing and couldn't wait to see it (and Nolan) go.

I was real happy when Nolan didn't come here to be DC. He's a blowhard that believes his own, self-created, bullshit.

Fritz
06-02-2009, 11:17 AM

Mike Nolan's nickel packages were dubbed Sub packages (Common defensive terminology, really). His sub package with 6 DB's was called the Big Sub. Niner fans thought this was some kind of secret weapon for awhile. Then, they realized Nolan didn't have the people to run the thing and couldn't wait to see it (and Nolan) go.

I was real happy when Nolan didn't come here to be DC. He's a blowhard that believes his own, self-created, bullshit.

Sign that guy up for Packerrats!

GBRulz
06-03-2009, 08:15 AM
GB

Have you decided between Columbia and Charleston? I've lived in Charleston and spent a fair amount of time in Columbia, and I have opinions about both. But they're pointless if you've already decided.

Either way, I have a great love for SC. Though we're going to miss having you be the eyes and ears on thr ground of the Rats.

I've chosen Columbia, which seems to work for me, in that my sis is 90 minutes to the west in Greenville and the ocean is 90 minutes east in Charleston! There also seems to be a much better job market, too. Truth is, I would love to live in Charleston, but until this economy picks up, forget it. It's mostly a tourist town, so not many high paying jobs, but there sure seem to be a lot of high cost living! What I loved about SC is that, driving 2 hrs in any direction offers you such a difference in scenery. They also have seasons, too, which is one thing I love about WI, even though winter is too damn long! I will miss driving past Lambeau Field every day, but heck..... I'll take pictures, lol.

Speaking of pictures, Mr. admin....did u find my panoramic that's sitting at the top of this page??? Silly me somehow deleted it and the only copy is sitting on the PR web server or whatever.

Administrator
06-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Speaking of pictures, Mr. admin....did u find my panoramic that's sitting at the top of this page??? Silly me somehow deleted it and the only copy is sitting on the PR web server or whatever.

No, sorry, just the "low tech" version you see. Thanks for the reminder, I'll email madtown packer again. He thought he might have it when I emailed last time and was going to look.

cpk1994
06-03-2009, 11:53 AM

No, sorry, just the "low tech" version you see. Thanks for the reminder, I'll email madtown packer again. He thought he might have it when I emailed last time and was going to look.I am curious as to when the main page will be brought back up.

GBRulz
06-03-2009, 02:19 PM
It was so great to see DD at practice today !!!!!
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_4115.jpg

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 02:25 PM
I was there too. I'll have more when I get out of work. Just tiny tidbits from me.

Oscar
06-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Great pictures GBR. Thanks for posting them. :tup:

GBRulz
06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I was there too. I'll have more when I get out of work. Just tiny tidbits from me.

Really? I didn't see you, but I didn't really look, either, lol. All I know is that I'm so tempted to post this picture of this guy who was on his cell phone the WHOLE time giving constant updates to whoever it was he was talking to. Then, as I preceded to walk away from jabberjaws, I came across another dude who couldn't stop jingling his change.

After an hour of jabberjaws and changejingling in my ears, I went home.

I took a ton of pics and I absolutely love the new lens. Just sucks being behind a fence. Other note in no particular order......personally, I have never seen that many people at an OTA before. It really was the first chance the public got to see of them practicing though since M3 is a fan of closing practices to fans.

Raji is just amazingly huge. WOW, but that guy can move.

The house was full, minus Nick Collins....... but it was great to see Bigby getting involved, DD out joking and having fun, Harris yelling at people, Barnett and his huge fro..... One thing that I noticed that I wasn't thrilled about is that Kampy did not look happy at all. Maybe I didn't spend enough time watching the defense, but I'm just saying what I noticed.

Lots of rotation on the front lines, not sure what to expect from that yet. Lots of chemistry, talking and also pre-warm up buddies....Aaron & Jordy.

That's about all the notes from me.

Scott Campbell
06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Good stuff.

GBRulz
06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
http://twitter.com/tompelissero

Some reporter from the PG....twittering his day at practice....

Waldo
06-03-2009, 02:47 PM

His updates suck. All he gives is a roll call and partial depth chart. Bedard's was 100x better, unfortunately he's on vacation.

Fritz
06-03-2009, 02:54 PM

I do appreciate these pics, but I must say that this picture somehow strikes me as two gay men arguing.

Donald: "That is just so not true!"

Jordy: "It is so, you big meanie!"

swede
06-03-2009, 03:13 PM
I thought it looked a little flirtatious:

Donald: "Have you been working out? You look bigger. In a good way."

Jordy: "Oh I'm getting bigger...Driver."

Scott Campbell
06-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I think you guys have read one too many chapters of Ted is Trapped in the Closet.

vince
06-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Great Pic's GB, and a lot of 'em. Thanks.

CaptainKickass
06-03-2009, 03:35 PM

Did I miss a link or something? I only see 1 pic.

Help a grumpy bastard out will ya?

vince
06-03-2009, 03:41 PM
What happened ot the link? When I viewed them, there was no pic of DD and Nelson, just a link to about 75 pics of today's practice. GB must have removed it. I didn't look, but perhaps thy were hosted somewhere where she had some other personal pics. Just a guess.

Scott Campbell
06-03-2009, 03:42 PM

This will cheer you right up Captain. Enjoy!

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17744

CaptainKickass
06-03-2009, 03:55 PM

Um - NOT!

Didn't cheer me up at all there Scooter.

But thanks for playing our game.

As a consolation prize you and your imaginary friend both will receive the home edition of "Let's try to be a smart ass but fail miserably"

Brought to you by the makers of "Damitol" and "Night Kill" - The night time sniffling sneezing coughing aching stuffy head fever so you can rest in peace medicine. Endorsed by Jack Kevorkian and Philip Nitschke.

Scott Campbell
06-03-2009, 04:02 PM

Um - NOT!

Didn't cheer me up at all there Scooter.

But thanks for playing our game.

As a consolation prize you and your imaginary friend both will receive the home edition of "Let's try to be a smart ass but fail miserably"

Brought to you by the makers of "Damitol" and "Night Kill" - The night time sniffling sneezing coughing aching stuffy head fever so you can rest in peace medicine. Endorsed by Jack Kevorkian and Philip Nitschke.

Translation:

"You kids get off my lawn!".

Chevelle2
06-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Dude looks bigger, especially in the shoulder area.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2251/bildem.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
06-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I only see one picture and no link also?

vince
06-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, but can he send 250 lb. linebackers flying back 6 ft. in the air landing on their kazoos at the flick of the wrist like Jay Cutler? I think not.

Chevelle2
06-03-2009, 04:16 PM
link to photos

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=U0&Date=20090603&Category=PKR0204&ArtNo=906030804&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=24

pbmax
06-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Wilde called into Milwaukee radio at 11:30 and had this for the roll call:

Present: Barnett, Driver, Woodson (quickly becoming a favorite despite having attending Michigan)

Absent: Collins, Pickett

Participating in jog through: Barnett is something of a surprise (though JSO has him out for the drills)

pbmax
06-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Wilde on Madison.com has Driver happy but looking to rework the deal. If it gets done, he says great. If not, oh well. Nickel at JSO had him missing for personal reasons rather than waiting on a contract redo, but they had him asking as well.

Nickel also has Barbre frustrating Kampman in pass blocking, which in any other year would have me elated. But I have a sinking feeling this might be glass half empty.

No. 1 O line still the same lineup as last week. Wells and Cliffy are still rehabbing. Matthews sidelined as well.

Joemailman
06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/46837357.html

Report on today's OTA. Kampman speaks!...but doesn't say too much. Sounds like Barbre had some success against Kampman, which of course is a good news/bad news situation. I don't worry too much about Kampman though, so I'm glad to hear that Barbre played well.

CaptainKickass
06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
link to photos

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=U0&Date=20090603&Category=PKR0204&ArtNo=906030804&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=24

Ok - the grumpy dude has at least seen some photo's of our team simulating the act of playing football.

That'll hafta placate me until I can get home and play some Madden.

Gracias Chevelle.

HarveyWallbangers
06-03-2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/46837357.html

Report on today's OTA. Kampman speaks!...but doesn't say too much. Sounds like Barbre had some success against Kampman, which of course is a good news/bad news situation. I don't worry too much about Kampman though, so I'm glad to hear that Barbre played well.

Were these regular pass rush drills where Kampman starts out on the OL? Or is this some sort of drill where Kampman is simulating a blitz? If it's the first, then I'm elated. If it's the second, not so much.

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 05:33 PM
I watched Kampman, Jeremy Thompson and company do open field tackling drills (one of the things you'd expect Kampman and Thompson to struggle at)

Kampman wasn't great. Tackles in the open field are always tough and the bigger you are the tougher typically. Kampman was below average. He had to sort of stop and lunge more than adjust on the fly, square up and hit.

After that drill was a drill where they were rushing off the edge and hitting a pad that simulated a running back in pass protection. Kampman's shots were the most impressive. I'm sure we're going to see a few RB's sitting in QB's laps next year.

I get the feeling we're going to see Kampman excel in taking on blocks and rushing the passer. I get the feeling he's going to be a mismatch that's impossible to stop at time , especially if there are other pass rush threats that the offense has to account for. I get the feeling he's going to miss the occasional open field tackle and get beat occasionally in coverage. Hopefully the coaches play him more to his strengths.

Also, they installed nickle/dime today. Kampman played iwth his hand down as as DE in nickle/dime so he's still a DE 35% of the time.

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Jeremy Thompson was surprisingly good. He doesn't seem take on blockers as well as Kamp, but Kamp might be the strongest LB in the NFL. Thompson does seem to have a well rounded game though. He's pretty good in space and while he was weak for a DE, he's probably on the strong end for a LB. He could be a player. I didn't like him last year, but I'll keep an open mind. It's a new position. He's in his second year. Never know.

Scott Campbell
06-03-2009, 05:37 PM
I watched Kampman, Jeremy Thompson and company do open field tackling drills (one of the things you'd expect Kampman and Thompson to struggle at)

Kampman wasn't great. Tackles in the open field are always tough and the bigger you are the tougher typically. Kampman was below average. He had to sort of stop and lunge more than adjust on the fly, square up and hit.

After that drill was a drill where they were rushing off the edge and hitting a pad that simulated a running back in pass protection. Kampman's shots were the most brutal and effective. I'm sure we're going to see a few RB's sitting in QB's laps next year.

I get the feeling we're going to see Kampman excel in taking on blocks and rushing the passer. I get the feeling he's going to be a mismatch that's impossible to stop at time , especially if there are other pass rush threats that the offense has to account for. I get the feeling he's going to miss the occasional open field tackle and get beat occasionally in coverage. Hopefully the coaches play him more to his strengths.

Also, they installed nickle/dime today. Kampman played iwth his hand down as as DE in nickle/dime so he's still a DE 35% of the time.

Anybody else stand out?

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Anybody else stand out?

Rodgers has a huge arm. Al Harris looked OK in zone coverage. He read and jumped a route well from his off coverage position.

It was tough. I was with a guy at work. Normally I'll just watch one group the whole time, but I moved around because he wanted to. I was only there for a little over an hour. It's tough to tell if anyone stands out without tackling. Ryan Grant looked to be in great shape. He looked really fast.

Fritz
06-03-2009, 05:47 PM
I suppose opposing coordinators will be sending little running backs out into Kampman's area to get short passes. Maybe a tight end on a third and three.

Hmm. We'll see.

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Jolly looked like his belly was smaller. Harrell is a big guy. He looks the part. Nelson plucked the ball out of the air well a couple times. Flynn or Brohm don't throw as hard as Rodgers. Rodgers is the star at QB.

Brad Jones looks really raw. Kampman was a better open field tackler than Jones.

Fritz
06-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Maybe Brad Jones is practice squad material, or maybe just training camp fodder.

See James Jones at all? How is my main Packer?

Joemailman
06-03-2009, 05:56 PM
JSO article said Jones and Nelson seem to be on equal footing as the #3 guy. I'm expecting big things from Jones if he is healthy this year. Either Jones or Nelson will be about the best #4 WR in the league this year.

Scott Campbell
06-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Jolly looked like his belly was smaller. Harrell is a big guy. He looks the part. Nelson plucked the ball out of the air well a couple times. Flynn or Brohm don't throw as hard as Rodgers. Rodgers is the star at QB.

Brad Jones looks really raw. Kampman was a better open field tackler than Jones.

Did DeShawn Wynn look as fit as he did in that earlier picture from a week ago or so?

Scott Campbell
06-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Good stuff Nick - thanks.

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Wynn looked to be in good shape, didn't stand out in person like Grant did though.

Grant is like Driver, he runs hard all the way to the end zone. Guys like that, that work hard, seem to always be in good shape. I've never been the biggest Grant supporter. I like him, but I don't love him. In shorts today, he looked impressive. He just looks big and fast. Hopefully that injury was what slowed him last year.

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 06:12 PM
It seems to me Crosby is getting more air on his kicks. That was a bit of an issue last year but today they were really flying high through the posts.

mission
06-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Keep it comin JH! I've been dyin for this shit!

Do they allow video ?? (probably not huh)

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 06:31 PM
I think you could. It's tough behind the fences though.

Packers.com has some interesting video up now. Kampman is talking about how he likes the system. You can see he had a couple talking points and was trying to fit every question to the talking points. He's usually not like that.

He's obviously a team player and wants to help, but I know it's a huge step for him to learn the new language and the new position at the same time.

The guy is a rare physical specimen. He never gets enough credit for the athlete that he is, but he's both stronger and faster than he looks. Kampman is going to make some monster plays. Hopefully he can work tirelessly for the next few months and get to the point where he doesn't give up many big ones either. Other guys with his size and position have done it in the past. There is nothing that told me he can't do it. It's new, but he's both a freak and a hard worker. He'll be ready.

GBRulz
06-03-2009, 06:39 PM
What happened ot the link? When I viewed them, there was no pic of DD and Nelson, just a link to about 75 pics of today's practice. GB must have removed it. I didn't look, but perhaps thy were hosted somewhere where she had some other personal pics. Just a guess.

Geez you guys are quick, the wrong link was only up there for like two minutes. Yes, at first I posted the link to my photo albums, wrong one....sorry about that.

GBRulz
06-03-2009, 06:40 PM

His updates suck. All he gives is a roll call and partial depth chart. Bedard's was 100x better, unfortunately he's on vacation.

Ok then, you ungrateful little shit. Then don't read it....I simply thought some people might enjoy the updates.

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Ok then, you ungrateful little shit. Then don't read it....I simply thought some people might enjoy the updates.

:lol:

He was talking about Tom Pellesserio.

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Ungrateful little shit :lol:

Waldo
06-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Ungrateful little shit :lol:

If you guys haven't figured out yet I really, really despise the GBPG and their "reporting", same with the JSO, but I'm big time warmed on Bedard since the draft. He's all right. Bedard's twitter is a good read.

But hey, I follow anyway, hoping for that "wow, what a great play by Thompson", or "great coverage by Lee", or "Aaron is on fire".....you know, something about what is going on other than a basic roll call. Even just an eyeball test, something?

Very good updates though you guys that were there. Good stuff. 10x the substance of the press reporters.

Joemailman
06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/06/03/2/

Interesting chess match between Kampman and reporters. I think he said "I'm learning it" about 10 times. 2nd place went to "Historically, it (the 3-4) has been a good defense."

rbaloha1
06-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Great updates JH -- keep them coming. Which o-linemen stand out? How is Finley progressing? What about Matthews?

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Great updates JH -- keep them coming. Which o-linemen stand out? How is Finley progressing? What about Matthews?

Oh, Matthews looks like a tough kid, just by the eye test. He's definitely not a midget. I didn't pay much attn to Finley.

If you're really going to glean any information from these practices, you have to watch one group the whole time otherwise you just get tiny bits of info with no real sense of how they compare to others.

For instance, if you're watching Kampman (an unknown) you have to watch him long enough next to someone that you know does well. In the case of the LB's, I don't have much of a guage because the only known in the outside linebacker group is Poppinga. Poppinga is a physical dude though. He might not be smart or instinctive, but in drills he should do well because he's physically OK. Kampman, today, looked less able to tackle in the open field than Poppinga but MUCH MUCH MUCH more powerful against blocks. That's one comparison I got.

The other piece of info that I think was valuable that I got was the FG's looked really high. I've been at practices before. I wasn't looking for it, I just noticed it and made a mental note. Crosby was good last year, but the low kicks were an issue. It looks like he's evolving a little.

Other than that, I didn't get much. In one hour of practice, if you're really watching one group, you're not going to get all the big picture (what happened) stuff, but you might be able to get a little deeper on one or two things. That's what I do. I like to focus on one or two things the whole time I'm there to get enough info to make some type of judgement.

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
As far as watching the defense, I guess I don't really know how to do that yet because it's not tackle and I don't understand their exact assigment so I don't know if they met it or not. The only thing I've ever really felt like I can get a gauge on is receivers because catching the ball in traffic is the same as catching the ball in traffic is the same as catching the ball in traffic.

The guys that have been consistent in practice have panned out in my experience. Jennings looked great early. Ruvell looked good a few years ago when everyong though Boerigter and Gardner were going to make the team. I said Ruvell was the only guy catching the ball and he made the team as a long shot.

The other thing, once pads get put on that I think I could judge would be the OT's and pass rushers. A few years ago before Kamp had his breakout season, I noted he was beating Tausch regularly and when measuring against something I new as a constant, I felt like it was a good sign. Maybe it was the blind squirrel, but I felt like players making plays against a guy I knew was good meant the player was going to do well. Kampman ended up breaking out. I think there is record of my observations from four years ago here.

Maybe this year I'll watch Finley and the RT situation (against Kampman). Whoever holds up against Kampman, I'll come out and think is going to do well. If Finley looks better than Donald Lee, I'll be able to see that early and get you guys the heads up.

As far as getting a huge picture of everythign that went on, I can't do it. I don't get replay so I have to focus on one thing and little bits of everything is pretty meaningless. I get my own in depth stuff, then read the blogs for the big picture stuff. For anyone who reads my stuff, expect a narrow topic with in depth observation. That's what I bring and it's very different from what the papers bring so I think it has a place for the fanatics here.

I compare things we don't know against things we do know. I'm not Ted Thompson, I can't tell a shade of yellow from another unless they're right next to each other. I view them next to each other and give you the results.

GBRulz
06-03-2009, 08:29 PM

:lol:

He was talking about Tom Pellesserio.

I realize that. But I hate when people take the time to post something and someone just bitches that it sucks or whatever.

Speaking of PG winners though.... I zipped off an email to Evan Siegle who is a PG photographer. He was basically complaining in his blog about having to photograph OTA's and how boring they were. Do you know how many people would LOVE to have his job and would do it for free?? Another ungrateful little shit... :wink:

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Holy shit, this guy looks big and agile. Talk about balance, huh?

http://www.packers.com/pg/2009-06-03/photo22.jpg

Barnett has been a hell of a chase and drag backer. Look at his size though. I don't know if he can hold up with only three lineman in front of him. He looks like a safety.

http://packers.com/pg/2009-06-03/photo35.jpg

RashanGary
06-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Nelson looks more developed.

http://packers.com/pg/2009-06-03/photo24.jpg

Jones looks shredded

http://packers.com/pg/2009-06-03/photo25.jpg

Fritz
06-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Wynn looked to be in good shape, didn't stand out in person like Grant did though.

Grant is like Driver, he runs hard all the way to the end zone. Guys like that, that work hard, seem to always be in good shape. I've never been the biggest Grant supporter. I like him, but I don't love him. In shorts today, he looked impressive. He just looks big and fast. Hopefully that injury was what slowed him last year.

So you fell in love with him when you saw him shorts?

Justin, I'm blushing here.

But I do most appreciate your insight. It is much more in-depth than anything the "real" reporters have done. And GB, thanks for the pics, but did we miss anything by not clicking the initial link to your photo book or wherever that posted link led?!?!?

I had to laugh at the "little shit" comment to Waldo. I mean, if you look at his avatar, well, that damn simian does look like a little shit, doesn't he? A smart little shit, though.

MJZiggy
06-03-2009, 09:19 PM
What in God's name did Allen Barbre do to his hair? YIKES!!

Fritz
06-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Okay, okay, if you're going to leave it that wide open, Zig . . .

He went to his Barbre.

http://www.instantrimshot.com/ :rs:

MJZiggy
06-03-2009, 09:24 PM
No, really he didn't... :lol:

Fritz
06-04-2009, 07:39 AM
I couldn't help myself.

Chevelle2
06-04-2009, 06:43 PM
This is pretty sweet. Justin looks lean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2jniL9zdGk

Fritz
06-04-2009, 07:28 PM
So much man love, so little time!

SnakeLH2006
06-06-2009, 12:01 AM

DD looks like an older Obama lately. Just saying.... :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Bedard has been pretty negative all offseason about Kampman converting to OLB, so it was nice to read this.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/48955781.html

Biggest thing I gleaned from today: Aaron Kampman has come a long way since the start of OTAs. He's no great athlete or anything out there, but he's starting to look more and more comfortable. He tossed the formidable Quinn Johnson out of the way without much problem at one point. Stuck with some receivers down the field too.

Patler
06-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Bedard has been pretty negative all offseason about Kampman converting to OLB, so it was nice to read this.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/48955781.html

Biggest thing I gleaned from today: Aaron Kampman has come a long way since the start of OTAs. He's no great athlete or anything out there, but he's starting to look more and more comfortable. He tossed the formidable Quinn Johnson out of the way without much problem at one point. Stuck with some receivers down the field too.

Interesting, because several other writers chose to write about Kampman dropping smoothly into coverage and batting passes away twice. I get the feeling that no matter how well Kampman plays, Bedard will not be one to say, "You know what? I was wrong! Kampman is doing very well."

Joemailman
06-23-2009, 10:23 PM
From what I've been reading, doesn't sound like Brohm is making much progress. Still taking sacks because he is holding on to the ball too long. Is it still early with him, or is it a little late to be saying it's still early?

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
From what I've been reading, doesn't sound like Brohm is making much progress. Still taking sacks because he is holding on to the ball too long. Is it still early with him, or is it a little late to be saying it's still early?

From the link I just posted.

Brohm seems to be getting more and more comfortable in this mini-camp after a rough start on Monday.

Scott Campbell
06-23-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't remember Aaron lighting it up in his second preseason.