PDA

View Full Version : Pickett showing leadership

HarveyWallbangers
05-29-2009, 02:18 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Among the good stuff in the GBPG blog:

The story: Ryan Pickett is getting the first shot at being the nose tackle in the new 3-4 defense.

* Pickett, on the selection of B.J. Raji at No. 9: "Right away, initially you don’t know. I was like, what does this mean? But eventually, it’s great. I think it’s great. You have to make a move for the future. He’s a great young man and is going to be a great player, and I'm excited to have him around. He’s definitely farther ahead than I ever was as a rookie."

Will you mentor him? "I’ll mentor him on and off the field. I don’t mind that role. I like it, he’s a good kid, so you don’t mind."

Thoughts on the 3-4 defense: "I think it’s good, it’s a lot to learn, but I think I can fit in good and be a real good nose guard, it’s challenge the way we play nose here, but I like a challenge."

Open to playing some end? "Yeah, it would be different, I don’t know what I would think about it, but it wouldn’t be no big deal, but nose is so complicated I'm not even thinking about learning anything else. ... Never played a snap of 3-4 in my life."

On the responsibilities of the nose tackle: "I have both 'A' gaps now, if the guard, he goes one way, I have to beat him to that side, it’s not just about being big and strong, it’s about being quick because I have to be front side every play and when you're lining head up on a guy, that’s one of the hardest things to do. You’ve got to read and react fast."

HarveyWallbangers
05-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Rodgers showing good leadership, as well. A few positive stories to offset some of the negativity.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090528/PKR07/90528154/1058/PKR01

Gunakor
05-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Great articles Harv, thanks for posting.

RashanGary
05-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Exciting year!!

retailguy
05-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Exciting year!!

My kool aid glasses are bubbly with excitement.

CaptainKickass
05-29-2009, 03:19 PM

* CB Al Harris was in midseason form, yelling at reporters during stretching, "Y'all better not be asking dumbass questions today."

Priceless.

mission
05-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I like this... his answer about his reaction when he was drafted first. That's pretty real, I can appreciate that.

Hopefully they both benefit each other and Ryan can get a big paycheck in a year or two when it's time. Elsewhere, preferably (at that point in his career).

SnakeLH2006
05-30-2009, 01:08 AM

* CB Al Harris was in midseason form, yelling at reporters during stretching, "Y'all better not be asking dumbass questions today."

Priceless.

You forgot CLASSY. Pickett is full of class, is Al? Prob. not, but it's fun to see how the DL and CB position goes down in GB this year. GO BJ and Travon!!! At least Woodson will be a a safety in a year or so. That dude has class and talent. So long Al. I like him, but don't see much from him as he ages...Wood..plenty at safety. Pickett (great guy) gone after this year for BJ, but much props for his WILLINGNESS to help. Al, you hear that? Prob. not.

Fritz
05-30-2009, 09:28 AM

Among the good stuff in the GBPG blog:

The story: Ryan Pickett is getting the first shot at being the nose tackle in the new 3-4 defense.

* Pickett, on the selection of B.J. Raji at No. 9: "Right away, initially you don’t know. I was like, what does this mean? But eventually, it’s great. I think it’s great. You have to make a move for the future. He’s a great young man and is going to be a great player, and I'm excited to have him around. He’s definitely farther ahead than I ever was as a rookie."

Will you mentor him? "I’ll mentor him on and off the field. I don’t mind that role. I like it, he’s a good kid, so you don’t mind."

Thoughts on the 3-4 defense: "I think it’s good, it’s a lot to learn, but I think I can fit in good and be a real good nose guard, it’s challenge the way we play nose here, but I like a challenge."

Open to playing some end? "Yeah, it would be different, I don’t know what I would think about it, but it wouldn’t be no big deal, but nose is so complicated I'm not even thinking about learning anything else. ... Never played a snap of 3-4 in my life."

On the responsibilities of the nose tackle: "I have both 'A' gaps now, if the guard, he goes one way, I have to beat him to that side, it’s not just about being big and strong, it’s about being quick because I have to be front side every play and when you're lining head up on a guy, that’s one of the hardest things to do. You’ve got to read and react fast."

Oooh. Sexy.

oregonpackfan
05-30-2009, 10:56 AM
I think veteran DL like Pickett realize that having extra good DL subs is not a threat but a boost to the team and their individual careers.

The New York Giants showed in their Super Bowl win that frequently substituting fresh DL linemen helps against the pass and the run.

In the long run, having to play just the majority of snaps versus almost all the snaps helps to prolong the DL's career. Playing most of the snaps just wears a guy out not only in the game but during the season.

DonHutson
05-30-2009, 02:03 PM
I think veteran DL like Pickett realize that having extra good DL subs is not a threat but a boost to the team and their individual careers.

I agree 100%. Pickett has always been underrated by some folks around here, in my opinion. He was less effective last year because he got banged up and still had to play way too many snaps.

Nobody should benefit from having Raji around more than Pickett. Likewise, Raji will benefit from splitting time with Pickett. Big guys tend to get tired. You need a bunch of them.

Scott Campbell
05-30-2009, 02:49 PM

I agree 100%. Pickett has always been underrated by some folks around here, in my opinion. He was less effective last year because he got banged up and still had to play way too many snaps.

Nobody should benefit from having Raji around more than Pickett. Likewise, Raji will benefit from splitting time with Pickett. Big guys tend to get tired. You need a bunch of them.

I think Pickett gets that rap because he shows up overweight to camp most years, and leaves most people who follow the team closely a little annoyed with his girth. But then he goes out and plays every week. He's a very solid player.

Waldo
05-31-2009, 03:22 AM
LOL

There aren't too many (read any) NT's, 3-4 or 4-3, that show up to camp in-shape.

Sorry.

Fans that dog NT's for this like that are pretty much fans that prefer to dog things overall, negafans.

SnakeLH2006
05-31-2009, 04:09 AM
LOL

There aren't too many (read any) NT's, 3-4 or 4-3, that show up to camp in-shape.

Sorry.

Fans that dog NT's for this like that are pretty much fans that prefer to dog things overall, negafans.

Owned...Lol..Snake don't mind fat DT's. They eat up space and buffets. It's the crime of playing that position. Oh, Waldo, I love ya, but you just own everyone on here with facts. Poor, poor Scott. :cry: