PDA

View Full Version : Bigby is ready to go

KYPack
05-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Atari Bigby was on Sporting News Radio. He disputes that he has problems with his contract or is out of camp.

“I think you’ve got the wrong guy,” Bigby said regarding reports that he doesn’t like his contractual situation.

“I am at off-season camp, so let’s get that straight,” Bigby said. “My ankle’s doing good. I’m out there on my own on the side doing my little drills, running around . . . just, you know, taking it easy and making sure we go into the season healthy.”

Even if there’s no problem with his contract, it sounds like there was a serious problem with his ankle — as evidenced by the fact that his ankle is still not sufficiently healed to allow him to participate in team drills five months after the season ended.

“The ankle is good now,” Bibgy said. “I can’t say it’s a hundred percent because I haven’t played a game, I haven’t done any cutting competitively. I’ve been sprinting, jumping and hopping around, but it was a tough injury when I got hurt last season and I don’t think everybody got the full understanding of how bad it really was. But the guy you saw in ‘08, that wasn’t the Atari Bigby that we know.”

Bigby signed a one-year, $1.545 million restricted free agent tender in April. Absent a new CBA, he’ll be a restricted free agent again in 2010.

If he's healthy, he's a good hand. He has a tendency to peek too much, but he will bring the wood like no other safety. I hope he's back at 100%

Fritz
05-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Not a lot of love for Bigby on Rats, but I'm with ya, KY. He brings the hits and he's around the ball, and I think that's something every secondary needs - how many years have we watched the Packers' backfield (I'm thinking the very late 90's and early 2000's) feature the Antwan Edwards drag-'em-down-like-they're-cattle method? Earl Little, in his brief foray with the Pack, getting dragged forty yards by some running back - remember?

CaptainKickass
05-30-2009, 01:20 PM
I've been keeping an eye on Atari Bigby (I call him "TwentySixHundred" as a nickname when he makes a play during a game) since the Packers allocated him to the old NFL Europe for a developmental season. He played well there and that's when I first witnessed his desire and ability to really bring the hard hits.

That translated to his NFL game for a bit. It sure would be nice to have that consistent threat of a big hitting safety, particularly in the new 3-4 defense.

I am a fan of Bigby's, but he still has a ton to prove and an uphill battle in which to do it. He has the "star" potential, but wether he can put it all together remains to be seen.

pbmax
05-30-2009, 01:37 PM
I emailed Florio at PFT because he lumped Bigby with Collins as "absent" for the OTAs the same day Bedard's blog appeared about the first public day of OTAs. He failed to read or comprehend the entire article that mentioned Bigby was present but rehabbing.

I emailed him again today because after this radio spot, his headline wasn't a correction it was "Bigby Diputes Contract Squabble" when the whole thing was set off by a misread of the JSO blog.

As for the injury, my memory tells me there was a chance Bigby would not be ready for all OTAs given the normal recovery time. So there are no surprises here.

MJZiggy
05-30-2009, 01:37 PM
I love Bigby. Dude can punish people.

Bretsky
05-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Chuck Cecil

Big time hits but coverage skills need a load of improvement

Scott Campbell
05-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Chuck Cecil

This new defense is supposed to play to his strengths and not ask him to cover as much. Kampman may be bummed out about the 3-4, but Atari might be happier than anyone on the team.

Bretsky
05-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Chuck Cecil

This new defense is supposed to play to his strengths and not ask him to cover as much. Kampman may be bummed out about the 3-4, but Atari might be happier than anyone on the team.

good point; I hope it works out for him and the GBP

RashanGary
05-30-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm a big Bigby fan too. He's one tough dude. Hopefully the injury thing is behind him and they don't ask him to do so damn much man coverage.

Partial
05-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Would have liked them to bring in Roy Williams for a Looksy in the 3-4. Could be a healthier version of Bigby. Don't think he signed for big bucks.

I think either player would thrive in the 3-4 so long as they're main job is to attack.

rbaloha1
05-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Bigby fan here. IMO is effective closer to the line of scrimmage ala Polomalu.

Bigby possesses Polomalu qualities. Hopefully Capers uses Bigby in a similar manner.

Lurker64
05-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Would have liked them to bring in Roy Williams for a Looksy in the 3-4. Could be a healthier version of Bigby. Don't think he signed for big bucks.

Wait, are you serious? Roy Williams is one of the few safeties in the league that's worse than Bigby.

Partial
05-30-2009, 09:08 PM

Wait, are you serious? Roy Williams is one of the few safeties in the league that's worse than Bigby.

I disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion. What sort of evidence do you have to make this claim?

Bretsky
05-30-2009, 09:13 PM

Williams play seems to have faded to the point where he might be similar to Bigby.....but I would still probably take Williams....if he's a coachable guy

bobblehead
05-30-2009, 10:46 PM
I think I'm the biggest Atari fan. The last 4 games of '07 and the playoffs, he was a stud. He got hurt last year, I hope he is healthy. He is a hitter and even looked a tad like a ball hawk in that span.

If collins is ok with the new D and Bigby is healthy I am going to enjoy our D this season.

SnakeLH2006
05-31-2009, 01:41 AM
Wow...We gotta rename this thread Bigby Love Fest '09. But yeah, love that guy. He has lapses but is far better than that mess with Edwards, Manuel, etc. that masqueraded as safetys the past years. At least he knocks the snot out of peeps and makes INTS sometimes.

Where's Skin? I'm sure his blood is boiling (not just from the STD's from the hookers, either) by this thread love for Bigby. :shock: :lol:

Bretsky
05-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Wow...We gotta rename this thread Bigby Love Fest '09. But yeah, love that guy. He has lapses but is far better than that mess with Edwards, Manuel, etc. that masqueraded as safetys the past years. At least he knocks the snot out of peeps and makes INTS sometimes.

Where's Skin? I'm sure his blood is boiling (not just from the STD's from the hookers, either) by this thread love for Bigby. :shock: :lol:

He is better than Manual, Underwood, Edwards, and Roman....definitely give you those :lol:

KYPack
05-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Bigby is a niche guy. He's not a Bob Sanders guy that can pick up a defense and carry it. Atari needs a strong framework around him to be effective.

He's got his weaknesses. He's a peeker and a guesser. When he guesses right, it's great.
When a hip offense catches him peeking, whooo boy!

He's definitely a physical question mark. When a slow guy has leg problems, it can be the end. That's why they added Smith. if Atari can't run, he's gone.

Fritz
06-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Like a throughbred with a leg problem.

It's a cruel world.