PDA

View Full Version : Are you OK with our backup QB situation?

RashanGary
05-30-2009, 09:39 AM
I was OK with it last year. I knew it was a risk, but I'm a risk taker. I want to be the best, not just better so I guess I lean on the aggressive side in a lot of circumstances. I know there were a bunch of people that thought it was a bad idea. This year, has your opinion changed or do you still think it's a bad idea to keep the two young guys that McCarthy likes.

PlantPage55
05-30-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm okay with it. I believe that it is very rare to have adequate success even with a backup. If Rodgers went down, no matter which backup we had behind him, I'd consider having a good enough offense to win games as a bonus.

And I say this because of the sad state of QBing in the league right now. The decent "backup" types are mostly going to be starters for bad teams! :lol:

Fred's Slacks
05-30-2009, 10:02 AM
It was definately a big risk last year. I wasn't excited about it because I thought we were a contender. If we would have had to go a few games without Rodgers those were pretty much automatic losses with a rook at QB. As it turned out, it didn't matter so we have a much better situation this year with 2 promising second year players. Still risky, but with M3's track record for developing QBs I think we'll have a damn good QB situation by next year at the latest. Hopefully its good enough for now and doesn't bite us in the rear.

DonHutson
05-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Who knows at this point. We haven't seen either of them play more than a few snaps in almost a year. I would assume they've improved since then. Both of them seem to have some talent, so the situation should only get better.

Bretsky
05-30-2009, 04:49 PM
ok with it; I thought it was a huge risk last year. They know what they have now so I'm confident they think one of the two backups could lead them to some wins.

If they don't think that, or if AROD gets hurt and they are both horrible......then get the roasters out

Administrator
05-30-2009, 04:57 PM
At this stage, who is better out there than what we have? Not sure anyone is. Maybe Favre will still be on his couch come October, and Ted can talk him out of retirement... :D (wouldn't that be awesome after all the drama around here lately?)

Scott Campbell
05-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Who knows at this point. We haven't seen either of them play more than a few snaps in almost a year. I would assume they've improved since then. Both of them seem to have some talent, so the situation should only get better.

Agreed - not enough information.

I was not ok with it last year. If they're not significantly better this year, I won't be ok with it this year either. But guys can make huge strides in year 2, so I'm hopeful.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-30-2009, 07:20 PM
QBs are judged on wins and losses.

Neither of our backups has won a game.

They suck.

bobblehead
05-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Last year I didn't like it, but with both of them having an offseason to work I think it willl be ok this year. One of them should emerge as a capable backup.

BallHawk
05-30-2009, 10:51 PM
We need Craig Nall.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-31-2009, 12:00 AM
We need Craig Nall.

What's the point, you know TT wouldn't allow him to compete for the backup job. They'd just give it to Brohm, etc.

The Leaper
05-31-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm not a fan of our reserves. However, I don't see the need to bring in a "reliable" veteran on a team that went 6-10 last year and is retooling the defensive scheme. I don't see us as a Super Bowl contender at this point. IMO, we will have a razor thin chance of making the playoffs...so losing Rodgers for anything more than a game would be a real blow regardless of who was behind him.

Now, say Green Bay impresses this year...10 wins or better. If at that point, you still don't have any real confidence in either guy behind Rodgers, then I think it would be time to grab a "reliable" veteran who could hold the team together if Rodgers went down for 2 or 3 games and let the kids fight for the 3rd spot in camp in 2010.

SnakeLH2006
05-31-2009, 01:23 AM
Snake is happy with the backups for this year, but that was really rolling the dice last year, but worked out as ARod played all 16 games and did well. Flynn looks well on his way to be Arod's Doug Peterson for a decade (as it's doubtful he'll get big money in FA when it's time based on his physical shortcomings, but who knows, even Ty Detmer got a chance to start at one point). I'd be happy to have Flynn for a long time as Arod's backup for sure.

As far as better backups..can't think of anyone this side of a trade with a deece sized draft pick involved as no one wants to give up a QB. It's become almost as hard to find quality backup QB's as it is to find good PR/KR guys. Definitely not a dime a dozen in the NFL market nowadays.

channtheman
05-31-2009, 04:37 AM

They suck.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SnakeLH2006
05-31-2009, 05:02 AM

They suck.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We don't wanna go there as Arod has 6 wins vs. Brett's 180 or so wins..Next thing we know Partial will post up Cutler's 24 wins in 5 years to make us look like fools for supporting ARod. Then we are ass. No one wants that embarrassment. :shock: :lol:

Gunakor
06-02-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm a little bit worried. I was fine with it to begin last year, assuming Brohm was ready to step in if needed. That wasn't and isn't the case. Brohm still isn't ready, as far as I've been hearing. Flynn is intriguing, but I'm not sure I'd trust him to handle the starting gig if anything happened to Rodgers making him unable to make a start. I'm fine with him coming in to finish games once and a while, but if our backup must become a starter for a game or two we're in trouble.

Gunakor
06-02-2009, 12:16 PM

They suck.

Technically speaking, neither of them have lost a game either.

They're awesome!

Joemailman
06-02-2009, 04:26 PM
This is Green Bay. Our starting quarterback plays every game.

Backups? We don't have no backups. We don't need no backups. I don't have to show you any stinking backups.

retailguy
06-02-2009, 04:36 PM
We need Craig Nall.

Or Doug Pederson.

Or... Brett Favre. :P