PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams

RashanGary
05-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News compiles an overall ST ranking each year. He takes the coverage units, return units and field goal kicking into account.

Packers 2007 Season
t-7th ranked ST's

Packers 2008 Season
26th ranked ST's

ST's seems to have a strong correlation to wins. There is a theme among coaches, GM's and players alike that ST's plays a huge part in whether a team wins or loses so I'd say it's more than correlation. It's a big part of the cause. Anyway, with that in mind, ST's seems like an extremely important part of us getting back to being a playoff caliber team.

Early in 2009, the Packers have an easier than average schedule. They are, however, learning the ropes on a new defense. By the time the defense gets its bearing it might be middle of the season. The Packers have a tough 2nd half to their schedule. It's going to be extremely important to get out of the gate quickly with some wins. Having the OL practice at one position so they are ready to rock on day one will help. Strong ST's seems like our best hope for early wins though.

Of all the things we watch in the preseason, ST's might be the most important piece. If the Packers ST's come out of the gates roaring in the preseason, I'm going to bet on the Packers this year. If they're average or poor, I'm going to hold off on my bet. I have confidence in the offense being good. I have confidence in Capers and the new talent on defense being at least average. I think ST's will be the unit that tips this team over the top or sinks it.

DonHutson
05-30-2009, 01:56 PM
The coach took the fall, but personnel moves also had a lot to do with it. Bad choice at punter, bad choice to let Tracy White go. New snapper and holder.

Jason Hunter went from a demon to a dud, supposedly because of the extra weight he put on to play DE. Bodiford got hurt. He was an effective special teamer when he had the chance to play. Also lots of backups were forced into defensive roles due to injuries, which may have caused a lack of focus on special teams. Those things weren't really anybody's fault, but they didn't help the cause.

Supposedly a side benefit of the 3-4 is having extra LB's around to play special teams. Hopefully that will pay off. On the plus side, the return game looked pretty solid. Blackmon was dynamic at PR once he stayed healthy. Nelson was pretty decent as a KR.

RashanGary
05-30-2009, 01:59 PM
I think they ranked 32nd in kickoff return yards and 26th in punt return yards. None of the ST's were good.

Two years ago Blackmon was good. Last year, even he was bad. Even Crosby missed two woulda-been game winners. Just a pathetic group all the way around. As big of a believer as I am of Thompson, he can't get away with that shit for much longer.