PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Front Seven

pbmax
05-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Here's a reason to celebrate for all you Jeremy Thompson lovers on the board:

* From a depth chart perspective, the most intriguing sight was second-year pro Jeremy Thompson working at right outside linebacker with the starting defense -- while Brady Poppinga worked with the twos. Poppinga and rookie first-round pick Clay Matthews, who sat out with a strained hamstring, have been the presumptive candidates to compete for the rightside job. But Thompson appears to be getting a long look, and he earned an excited helmet slap from OLBs coach Kevin Greene after dropping into coverage on one play.

* With DE Cullen Jenkins (ankle) and SS Atari Bigby (ankle) sitting out team drills, the front seven with the No. 1 base defense was: LE B.J. Raji, NT Ryan Pickett, RE Justin Harrell, LOLB Aaron Kampman, ILB A.J. Hawk, ILB Brandon Chillar and ROLB Thompson.

It would seem like Matthews would take this spot back after his hammy heals, but Poppinga appears to have taken a step back. And I must admit, even though I desperately want Jenkins back healthy, I am a bit excited about Raji and Harrell on the field together with Pickett.

bobblehead
05-30-2009, 10:38 PM
yep, all I saw was...blah blah, injured blah blah, Justin Harrell actually on the field.

pbmax
05-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Bush was at free safety for the 2nd team according to JSO.

Jenkins was at starting RDE during the walkthrough, Harrell took over in team drills.

Rouse is at Free Safety with the ones. Anthony Smith is SS with the 2s.

Matthews told JSO that he and Poppinga were co-No. 2s at ROLB. Capers said not to read too much into teh depth chart right now.

HarveyWallbangers
05-30-2009, 11:02 PM
There's talent on this defense. I'd be shocked if they were in the bottom 3rd of the league in defense again.

SnakeLH2006
05-31-2009, 01:35 AM

I am a bit excited about Raji and Harrell on the field together with Pickett.

There's Jeremy Thompson lovers? :shock: LOL, but Raji, Harrell and Pickett together is kinda exciting. But I'd rather have Jenkins out there too. Either way, that's a lotta beef yo.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rW-OJ48AJBU/R6HjqeLMXrI/AAAAAAAAD80/YBv5erplwo8/s320/whereb.jpg

packrulz
05-31-2009, 05:45 AM
The big front is exciting, Harrell is working hard, it's obvious he wants to play. Al Harris is embracing Dom Capers scheme as well, this defense is going to be fun to watch: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090530/PKR01/90530030/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL
From Green Bay Press Gazette:
One person with knowledge of Capers and his system said Capers is one of the most creative defensive minds in the game, and if he feels Harris isn’t suited to zone coverages, he will find a way to mix in more man-to-man principles.

“We want to have the ability to play both,” Capers said. “If you’re locked into one, you can be too predictable, and from what I’ve seen, I think we’ll have enough ability to play what we want, and that might vary from one week to the next.”

Waldo
05-31-2009, 10:43 AM
It would seem like Matthews would take this spot back after his hammy heals, but Poppinga appears to have taken a step back. And I must admit, even though I desperately want Jenkins back healthy, I am a bit excited about Raji and Harrell on the field together with Pickett.

According to the JSO (whose info comes from Clay), Matthews was never ahead of Thompson.

Biggest surprise had to be Jeremy Thompson working out as the first-team right outside linebacker. Matthews said he and Brady Poppinga are second-team there, although coordinator Dom Capers said not to pay attention to where everyone is at this point.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/46420932.html

Bretsky
05-31-2009, 10:51 AM
up to this point my view of Jermey Thompson is not that high so I sure hope Matthews is better than he is

RashanGary
05-31-2009, 11:17 AM
up to this point my view of Jermey Thompson is not that high so I sure hope Matthews is better than he is

He didn't impress me at all last year. He was slow, lacked suddenness and wasn't very strong as a DE.

He was a rookie though. I'm certainly open to the possibility that this guy can cover, stop the run and rush the passer. I'm just not putting him on my list of guys to be excited about just yet. He has to show something first. OLB's in this scheme of so many responsibilities, I can't imagine any of our OLB's will be great this year.

rbaloha1
05-31-2009, 12:28 PM
JT has the body type and athleticism to play olb. Future starter should AK not return.

Lurker64
05-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Jeremy Thompson's work at DE shouldn't really be counted against him too much, as he was always going to make a better 3-4 outside backer than a DE. He's got marvelous physical tools, but he's a lot more comfortable playing in space and he's much better at "read and react" than "all out balls-to-the-wall aggression". Going into the draft last year, most people had him ranked higher as an OLB than as a DE.

All too often last year, he got into trouble because he held up for half a beat to diagnose what the offense was doing. As a DE, that's going to get you killed since the guy across from you isn't going to wait for you: he knows what he's supposed to do, and that's "knock you on your ass". As an OLB, though, this behavior is potentially an asset.

Patler
05-31-2009, 12:38 PM

I have been a bit intrigued by Jeremy Thompson, if for no other reason than that Ted Thompson actually thought enough of him to trade up for him. Most unusual.

I hope he fits the 3-4 well enough to beat out Mathews! :lol:

Bretsky
05-31-2009, 12:52 PM

I have been a bit intrigued by Jeremy Thompson, if for no other reason than that Ted Thompson actually thought enough of him to trade up for him. Most unusual.

But that would mean we pissed away all those picks to move up for a backup :wink:

pbmax
05-31-2009, 01:50 PM
According to the JSO (whose info comes from Clay), Matthews was never ahead of Thompson.

I saw that:

Matthews told JSO that he and Poppinga were co-No. 2s at ROLB. Capers said not to read too much into the depth chart right now.

but my question to Capers is that I am not just reading your depth chart, but I am also watching practice and hearing this from the player. This would seem to call for some comment, you'd think.

Patler
05-31-2009, 02:06 PM

But that would mean we pissed away all those picks to move up for a backup :wink:

Future starter, future starer !!! :)

SnakeLH2006
05-31-2009, 02:22 PM

Ah, but Brett, even if Clay starts as you wish, and JT goes to the bench that would mean we pissed away all those picks to move up for a backup :wink:

bobblehead
05-31-2009, 02:27 PM

He is going to play on all the ST's and based on last year that will be a nice improvement.

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Kampman may not be here in 2010. Matthews and Thompson may be the starters after this year.

wist43
05-31-2009, 04:00 PM
I like Thompson - as a RDE; just as I like Kampman - as a LDE. I don't like either one of them as LB's.

Kampman is their best front seven player, and has to be on the field... but he's going to be playing out of position if they are going to be dropping him into coverage.

Beyond that, with Thompson on the other side.... if he is, in fact, the starter at ROLB, now you've got two DE's playing out of position at LB... and ROLB is traditionally the predominant rush LB in a 3-4... definitely going to be some growing pains.

rbaloha1
05-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Kampman may not be here in 2010. Matthews and Thompson may be the starters after this year.

Exactly. AK is a dominant 4-3 end. Remains to seen if AK can remain dominant in a new role.

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Exactly. AK is a dominant 4-3 end. Remains to seen if AK can remain dominant in a new role.

That wasn't really my point. My point is that he'll be a free agent after this season.

Fritz
06-01-2009, 11:40 AM

* From a depth chart perspective, the most intriguing sight was second-year pro Jeremy Thompson working at right outside linebacker with the starting defense -- while Brady Poppinga worked with the twos. Poppinga and rookie first-round pick Clay Matthews, who sat out with a strained hamstring, have been the presumptive candidates to compete for the rightside job. But Thompson appears to be getting a long look, and he earned an excited helmet slap from OLBs coach Kevin Greene after dropping into coverage on one play.

* With DE Cullen Jenkins (ankle) and SS Atari Bigby (ankle) sitting out team drills, the front seven with the No. 1 base defense was: LE B.J. Raji, NT Ryan Pickett, RE Justin Harrell, LOLB Aaron Kampman, ILB A.J. Hawk, ILB Brandon Chillar and ROLB Thompson.

Hurt me, hurt me. Make me feel like the cheap piece of linebacker that I am, Mr. Greene!

pbmax
06-07-2009, 10:14 AM
From today's Green Bay Press Gazette's Nick Barnett article, we finally have the official word on the names for the two inside backers.

He’s moving to one of the inside linebackers in Capers’ 3-4 system. Capers calls the inside positions the “mack,” or the weak-side spot, and the “buck,” or the strong-side spot, in the base defense. Barnett will play the “mack” in the base defense.

I think we had noted these positions would be Mike and Jack, but here is some indication of what the team is using. This earth shattering news is brought to you by: The Department of Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing.

Fritz
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I think they should call the positions the "Nick" and the "AJ."

Or maybe the "Desmond" and the "Brandon."

pbmax
06-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I think they should call the positions the "Nick" and the "AJ."

Or maybe the "Desmond" and the "Brandon."
If we go off some of their play in the last season, how about "Jack and Jill"? :lol:
Or Tom and Jerry. How about Mickey and Mouse?

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2009, 09:56 AM
I know AK74 helped out Rodgers immensely his first couple of years in the league. Now, it's time for the mentor to help the teacher. They are good friends. There are other tidbits in the article.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/47765382.html

Rodgers likes 3-4 for Kampman: For his part, Aaron Kampman did not hear about the radio interview with Aaron Rodgers recently in which the quarterback said Kampman should be excited about playing in the new 3-4 defense. Yesterday, Kampman reiterated that he was just focused on learning the new scheme.

But Rodgers is advocating the merits of the 3-4 for his friend in the interview (about 5:00 in) with Milwaukee's ESPN radio (this is the Madison link): “Him being disappointed about the 3-4 switch, he obviously doesn’t understand how it would help him out. I have a statistic for you. How many sacks has Aaron Kampman had in base defense over the last two years? I believe the number is less than three. Most sacks come in sub which is nickel defense, we bring in the extra corner, the (offense) brings in a third receiver. The 3-4 is strictly a base defense. We go in sub, they’re a four-down team. Why would you not be excited about a defense switch where you’re going to have an opportunity with us bringing more guys to have more one-on-one matchups in base? … Yeah occasionally you’re going to be out covering, but why would you not be excited about more opportunities in base?”

RashanGary
06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Well said by Air Rod. Kamp is going to be doing everything exactly the same as far as how he's gotten his sacks. He's going to get even more opportunities in base. No matter what happens, unless Kamp takes a step back in his pass rushing ability, he's going to get monster sacks. If he struggles in the few coverage opportunites, then the team taht pays him will be a 4-3. If he excells all the way around, his value only goes up.

BobDobbs
06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
At least we finally found out Who's the Mack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eiKTp3VdE0