PDA

View Full Version : Winston Moss??

Patler
05-31-2009, 12:43 PM
The guy seems to have disappeared. Articles about the new defense have quoted most, if not all of the other D-coaches, but I've seen nothing from Moss. He is still supposed to be the inside LBs coach, but the writers don't even seem to ever refer to him or mention his work with the players.

Maybe I've just missed it.

Bretsky
05-31-2009, 12:55 PM
The guy seems to have disappeared. Articles about the new defense have quoted most, if not all of the other D-coaches, but I've seen nothing from Moss. He is still supposed to be the inside LBs coach, but the writers don't even seem to ever refer to him or mention his work with the players.

No, I have noticed the same thing; I'll be very surprised if he's here two years from now.

He may feel a bit like Jim Bates not getting promoted after thinking he was a key part of the organization

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2009, 02:43 PM

Could it be that reporters aren't interested in what the guy has to say? And really, it seems they only talk to Capers, Greene, and occasionally the DL coach. You don't hear much from Darren Perry either.

Patler
05-31-2009, 02:49 PM

Could it be that reporters aren't interested in what the guy has to say? And really, it seems they only talk to Capers, Greene, and occasionally the DL coach. You don't hear much from Darren Perry either.

I did see something from Perry a couple days ago, which is what made me think about Moss. Besides, Moss should be a higher profile guy than Parry.

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2009, 03:25 PM
I did see something from Perry a couple days ago, which is what made me think about Moss. Besides, Moss should be a higher profile guy than Parry.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Who you see quotes from mostly depends on who the reporter feels like talking to. Much of the talk on defense centers around the switch to a 3-4, and a lot of reporters may not feel Moss is the guy to go to on that. Other issues to deal with are Kampman (Greene is his coach) and the transition for the DL and the DBs. Not a lot of stories on how Hawk and Barnett will do in the new defense.

pbmax
05-31-2009, 04:35 PM
We'll see when Barnett comes back. They might be holding story ideas on the ILBs until they can cover Barnett's recovery and Hawk's move.

Patler
05-31-2009, 05:02 PM

I wouldn't read too much into it. Who you see quotes from mostly depends on who the reporter feels like talking to. Much of the talk on defense centers around the switch to a 3-4, and a lot of reporters may not feel Moss is the guy to go to on that. Other issues to deal with are Kampman (Greene is his coach) and the transition for the DL and the DBs. Not a lot of stories on how Hawk and Barnett will do in the new defense.

Who's reading anything into it?
But the fact remains, Moss is the only significant hold-over from the old staff, AND is the Assistant Head Coach; but we hear nothing from him, whether because he has nothing to say or reporters find no reason to talk to him.

Hawk should also be a significant story. Highest draft pick in ages for the Packers, mediocre performance so far. Will the change help him? Can he play in a 3-4? How are HIS injuries healing. What say you Mr. Moss?

Barnett too. Injury? Is he big enough and tough enough for a 3-4? Will he be ready for TC? Who is next in line? Bishop? Where does Chiller best fit? What say you Mr. Moss?

By the way Mr. Moss, what is you experience in a 3-4? What background do you have to coach it? Who are you learning from on the staff? Greene?

and what is your role in the new 3-4 Mr. Moss, considering you are also Assistant HC? What does that really mean?

Gee, I could find a lot of reasons to talk to Moss. :lol: :lol:

MJZiggy
05-31-2009, 05:10 PM
You should have taken that job with that publication, Mr. Shamrock...! :P

Patler
05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
You should have taken that job with that publication, Mr. Shamrock...! :P

The one in "early April" a couple years ago?? :lol: :lol:

MJZiggy
05-31-2009, 06:34 PM
That's the one I'm thinking of, yes. :lol:

rbaloha1
05-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Capers is a rockstar. Moss knows his role.

Fritz
06-02-2009, 11:33 AM
It's always the new kids in school that get all the attention.

Waldo
06-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Hawk was on Sirius the other day. When they asked about coach Greene, he steered the conversation back to coach Moss, saying they both get a lot of respect since they were good players at one time, and said that they work well together.

MJZiggy
06-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Hawk was on Sirius the other day. When they asked about coach Greene, he steered the conversation back to coach Moss, saying they both get a lot of respect since they were good players at one time, and said that they work well together.

More proof that they read us...

Fritz
06-05-2009, 09:03 AM

AJ Hawk has a future in politics.

KYPack
06-05-2009, 11:30 AM

This thread is slowing down. Thought I'd inject a thought I've had since the "big purge". It really seemed to me (this is suppostion on my part) that a big part of Moss's job was to stooge to coach Mac what was going on in the defensive meetings. MM is basically concerned with putting together the offensive gameplan with Philbin and the QB's.

MM put Moss in charge of being his "eyes and ears" in the D meetings. MM's suspicions that Sanders was incapable of putting in more looks and schemes in his D. When MM made the big move, he rewarded Moss by keeeping him on staff. Now Moss is in a tenuous position and is staying low key until the new guys trust him.

Might not be the case, but I'm sure some of this is in play.

Scott Campbell
06-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Can the guy coach?

Patler
06-05-2009, 02:34 PM

This thread is slowing down. Thought I'd inject a thought I've had since the "big purge". It really seemed to me (this is suppostion on my part) that a big part of Moss's job was to stooge to coach Mac what was going on in the defensive meetings. MM is basically concerned with putting together the offensive gameplan with Philbin and the QB's.

MM put Moss in charge of being his "eyes and ears" in the D meetings. MM's suspicions that Sanders was incapable of putting in more looks and schemes in his D. When MM made the big move, he rewarded Moss by keeeping him on staff. Now Moss is in a tenuous position and is staying low key until the new guys trust him.

Might not be the case, but I'm sure some of this is in play.

I had the thought that MM didn't fire Moss with all the others because he was likely to be a candidate for several HC jobs, and it wouldn't look good to get fired at the same time.

HarveyWallbangers
06-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I had the thought that MM didn't fire Moss with all the others because he was likely to be a candidate for several HC jobs, and it wouldn't look good to get fired at the same time.

Maybe McCarthy likes the guy and thinks he's a good coach? Signs point to that being the case (e.g. naming him assistant head coach). It's weird situation, I'll give you that. I just think McCarthy likes the guy, but he wanted to bring in a more experienced DC. Maybe he thinks Moss isn't quite ready to be a coordinator yet.

Patler
06-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Maybe McCarthy likes the guy and thinks he's a good coach? Signs point to that being the case (e.g. naming him assistant head coach). It's weird situation, I'll give you that. I just think McCarthy likes the guy, but he wanted to bring in a more experienced DC. Maybe he thinks Moss isn't quite ready to be a coordinator yet.

Ya, I think MM does like him and probably didn't want to hurt his interview possibilities. The NFL coaching fraternity (all sports, actually) is really a strange one. If Moss wasn't ready to be a coordinator yet, (and MM apparently thought he wasn't) why in the world was he being touted for H.C. positions? He had some interviews, didn't he?

The designations of "Assistant Head Coaches" also puzzle me. Some are coordinators, and that makes it simple. But others are a position coaches as well, so they work under a coordinator for that, but then also are the Assistant HC. Just sort of a wierd reporting structure it would seem! :D

Cleft Crusty
06-05-2009, 03:43 PM
If you have the title of assistant coach, you are not likely to be reduced in rank - you typically go on to be a head coach. It's a sign of respect and expectation of advancement. There may even be an official league-wide understanding that you have to move up or at least laterally - you can't be demoted.

Moss likely got at least some interviews due to the Rooney rule.

HarveyWallbangers
06-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Ya, I think MM does like him and probably didn't want to hurt his interview possibilities. The NFL coaching fraternity (all sports, actually) is really a strange one. If Moss wasn't ready to be a coordinator yet, (and MM apparently thought he wasn't) why in the world was he being touted for H.C. positions? He had some interviews, didn't he?

1) Whether he was interviewed for HC for other teams has little to do with what McCarthy thinks of him.
2) Rooney Rule.

The designations of "Assistant Head Coaches" also puzzle me. Some are coordinators, and that makes it simple. But others are a position coaches as well, so they work under a coordinator for that, but then also are the Assistant HC. Just sort of a wierd reporting structure it would seem!

I think the designation primarily goes to position coaches, and there's a big reason for it. It allows teams to keep good position coaches because the only way they can leave is to become a HC elsewhere. I don't think the designation is designed to keep OCs or DCs from becoming HCs though.

Patler
06-05-2009, 03:59 PM
If you have the title of assistant coach, you are not likely to be reduced in rank - you typically go on to be a head coach. It's a sign of respect and expectation of advancement. There may even be an official league-wide understanding that you have to move up or at least laterally - you can't be demoted.

Moss likely got at least some interviews due to the Rooney rule.

There is as far as hiring a coach from another team, that's why the Assistant HC position came about. The Packers would have to consent for Moss to take any position other than HC. On the other hand, a team can't refuse permission for an advancement.