View Full Version : New defense doesn't faze Harris

packers11
05-31-2009, 05:09 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090530/PKR01/90530030/1058

New defense doesn't faze Harris

'There isn't a technique that I haven't played'

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Al Harris, predictably, was emotional about it.

Dom Capers, just as predictably, was philosophical about it.

Yet the reactions of both essentially said the same thing: Harris, the Green Bay Packers’ veteran cornerback, will be able to play — and play well — in the new 3-4 defense Capers has brought to the Packers.

Almost from the moment Capers was hired in January, there were questions about whether Harris, a predominantly man-to-man cornerback throughout his 11-year NFL career, would be able to succeed in playing in a defense that is defined largely by zone coverages.

During last week’s organized team activities, Harris couldn’t have been much more defiant in his response to those charges.

“Who says that?” Harris said. “I haven’t heard one scout say that. Just for your knowledge, when you ask these types of questions, zone is much easier to play than man. That’s the way it is. That’s why they call it man and zone.”

When asked if he isn’t suited to play zone, Harris responded: “Why, why wouldn’t it suit me? We’re not hacks here. We’re pros. Man, I’m a corner. There isn’t a technique that I haven’t played.”

One person with knowledge of Capers and his system said Capers is one of the most creative defensive minds in the game, and if he feels Harris isn’t suited to zone coverages, he will find a way to mix in more man-to-man principles.

“We want to have the ability to play both,” Capers said. “If you’re locked into one, you can be too predictable, and from what I’ve seen, I think we’ll have enough ability to play what we want, and that might vary from one week to the next.”

The 34-year old Harris developed a reputation as one of the best pure cover corners in the NFC — and made the Pro Bowl in 2007 — while playing under the Jim Bates-Bob Sanders system the Packers ran from 2005 to 2008. That system was predicated on the cornerbacks playing tight, man-to-man press coverage.

Harris’ game never was predicated on speed but rather his ability to be physical with receivers within the 5-yard contact zone. He was adept at bumping receivers off their routes, forcing quarterbacks to throw elsewhere.

In zone or “off” coverage, Harris wouldn’t play as close to the line of scrimmage, and therefore wouldn’t be in a position to bump and chuck receivers.

“I believe everybody has their strengths, and Al is probably the best press corner in the NFL,” fellow Packers cornerback Will Blackmon said. “But Al is also one of the best cornerbacks, period. Al has probably the best feet I’ve ever seen in a cornerback. Everybody has their thing. Charles (Woodson) is probably one of the best players when the ball is in the air. That’s his strength, but Charles can press, too, and play off.”

Capers acknowledged that playing more zone than man coverage would be a significant adjustment for Harris, but Harris’ willingness to attend the voluntary OTA sessions should help ease that transition.

“He’s working hard at it,” Capers said. “I’ve seen a couple plays the last few days where you can see Al’s ability to close on a receiver and get the ball out. I’ve always felt if a guy can play man, he can learn how to play zone. It’s harder if a guy’s been a zone player to turn him into a man player because it takes physical tools to play coverage in this league.”

One change for corners transitioning from a man scheme to a zone scheme is vision of the football. In the past, Harris was so close to the line of scrimmage that he almost always had to turn his head in order to see the ball. Playing “off” coverage would allow him to see the ball longer.

“Now, we’ll be able to see the quarterback, see the receiver and see the ball,” Blackmon said.

Perhaps Harris’ reputation for struggling in zone coverage was more due to miscommunications throughout the defense that hampered the Packers in the rare instances when they played zone in recent years.

“One thing now is we’ve got a lot of communication,” Blackmon said. “That was the main issue we had last year, communication breakdowns. So that’s what we’ve been working on this year. Communication is the key in (zone) because there are times you might pass off (a receiver). You’ve got to be on the same page, and that was our weakness last year.”

Good article... I hope he can make the transition as smooth as he thinks he can... He is very confident that he can easily play both man and zone, that is a step in the right direction...

rbaloha1
05-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Harris can still play at a Pro Bowl level in whatever scheme. The unpredictability of coverages keeps the opposing offenses guessing unlike Sander's schemes.

pbmax
06-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Al wouldn't win any points on the debate team. But a chip on your shoulder works better for a football player anyway.

Fritz
06-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Al wouldn't win any points on the debate team. But a chip on your shoulder works better for a football player anyway.

Exhibit A:

"Just for your knowledge, when you ask these types of questions, zone is much easier to play than man. That’s the way it is. That’s why they call it man and zone.”

I always wondered why they called the coverages "man" and "zone." Now I know why - because zone is easier to play.

Thanks for clarifying that point, Al.

pbmax
06-01-2009, 07:38 AM

Exhibit A:

"Just for your knowledge, when you ask these types of questions, zone is much easier to play than man. That’s the way it is. That’s why they call it man and zone.”

I always wondered why they called the coverages "man" and "zone." Now I know why - because zone is easier to play.

Because "Man" coverage can only be handled by a MAN! Zone coverage, any stoner can play that position. Now put that in you pipe and eat some crow!

vince
06-01-2009, 08:14 AM
I appreciate Harris' attitude going into this change, but I still can't help but think that his strongest attribute is negating his opponents at the LOS through superior bump-and-run technique and physical strength.

You can't take that greatness away from him when the coverage dictates man-to-man, but I don't see him as great when you take that part of his game away through zone.

Of course he's played it before, and knows what to do, but at this point, I think Williams has superior speed, ability to jump routes and make plays on the ball in the air. While of course he's right that zone coverage is easier to play, that "easy" part is where he's merely average as a corner.

I'd be happy to be proven to have underestimated Al in this regard.

Fritz
06-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Exhibit A:

Because "Man" coverage can only be handled by a MAN! Zone coverage, any stoner can play that position. Now put that in you pipe and eat some crow!

I don't know about that. I've heard AT & T does a piss poor job in terms of zone coverage. But if you watch the Verizon commericials, they claim to have the zone coverage thing all figured out, and they seem to think it's a big deal.

bobblehead
06-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I thik a lot of Harris doubters are going to get some humble pie. I have said from the start the AK issue is more real. AH plays corner in the NFL...he is not slow, he is not one dimensional, and if he works and knows his flats and responsibilities he will be every bit the stud he always is.

I think AK will be fine too....just as ARod made me groan holding the ball at times, AK will make you scream by looking lost in coverage a few times, but mostly he is going to do just fine. Before camp is over Dom will have him lining up with his hand down 75% of the time, and we all know AK does that just fine.

HarveyWallbangers
06-01-2009, 11:59 AM
I would disagree with your sentiment that Harris is not slow. Is he the slowest guy around? No, but he has below average speed. I think Harris would have more problems playing mostly zone coverage than Kampman will have moving to OLB. I have faith that the coaches will do their best to adjust the scheme to allow Harris to play less zone than the Steelers corners generally do. I also have faith that the coaches will not have Kampman dropping back into coverage a lot.

RashanGary
06-01-2009, 08:45 PM
I'll 2nd Harvey's post. I'm not worried at all about Kampman. I don't think Harris will be a good zone corner.

bobblehead
06-01-2009, 11:22 PM
seems to me that I've seen al running step for step with andre johnson and others enough times that I don't care what the clock says. I never see him losing ground to anyone. Even mighty plaxico had to catch about 4 balls on his fingertips because he wasn't getting seperation.

HarveyWallbangers
06-01-2009, 11:28 PM
seems to me that I've seen al running step for step with andre johnson and others enough times that I don't care what the clock says. I never see him losing ground to anyone. Even mighty plaxico had to catch about 4 balls on his fingertips because he wasn't getting seperation.

When he doesn't get a good bump at the line, Al gets beat plenty. Plaxico isn't really that quick, so he's not the type of guy Al normally struggles against. That's strength against strength.

RashanGary
06-02-2009, 06:08 AM

I'm not worried about his speed. Zone corners don't need to be as fast. I'm worried about his instincts. The guy plays perfect man technique. In zone, he just stands there confused.

pbmax
06-02-2009, 08:02 AM
My concern is that Al's best weapon was the Bump in Bump and Run coverage. We have all seen him take out WRs before they even get into their pattern if he can deliver a blow.

Without that, all other aspects of his game must step up. He has one offseason to do it. Pretending that this is not different is bravado on his part. Which is OK for now because a CB needs that to survive. And unlike Kampman now, there is a counter story to "He can't do it" or He will struggle".