PDA

View Full Version : 2 snippets that caught my interest

packer4life
06-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Is this guy gonna blow up this year? Do I need to be worried here?:

Vikings’ Harvin Churning Out Highlights
Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 31, 2009, 3:33 p.m.

Minnesota Vikings rookie wide receiver Percy Harvin grabbed the spotlight this weekend, turning in a series of acrobatic plays.

As the Vikings concluded a full-team mandatory minicamp today, Harvin skied into the air in the corner of the end zone to haul in a touchdown pass from Sage Rosenfels, according to Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

“Percy is a special athlete,” Rosenfels said. “Not only is he a good receiver, but he’s got a little bit of that tailback in him.”

Per the report, the former University of Florida standout was well-covered on the play.

The early reviews on Harvin, who also ran the Wildcat offense and returned kicks this weekend, have been extremely positive.

“He’s explosive,” linebacker Ben Leber said. “You definitely want to get the ball in his hands.”

Added defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier: “I’m so glad [Harvin] is on our team, so we don’t have to come up with a plan for him because that’s exactly what you end up having to do is game plan a guy like Percy Harvin.”

AND

Step away from the ribs justin, please:

Injury-Prone Harrell Has A Lot To Prove
Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 31, 2009, 10:52 a.m.

Here’s the total return on the Green Bay Packers’ investment of a first-round draft pick on defensive lineman Justin Harrell two years ago: Eighteen career tackles in 13 games with two starts.

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson’s gamble on the former University of Tennessee player hasn’t paid off at all so far, something that even Harrell acknowledges to Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

This figures to be a pivotal season for Harrell, who’s projected to start at defensive end in new defensive coordinator Dom Capers’ 3-4 scheme.

“It’s my third year here, and I haven’t really did anything since I’ve been here,” Harrell said. “It’s huge. This is one of the biggest years of my life.”

Weight problems and injuries have plagued Harrell, who has defined the phrase: injury-prone.

“You’ve seen my whole track record,” Harrell said. “I don’t think it’s ever going to be shaken. I’m just trying to stay healthy.”

Vandermause raises the question about whether Harrell can be counted on to not balloon up during a two-week honeymoon in Jamaica.

Harrell said his target weight is 305 pounds, but he admitted recently bulking up to over 320 pounds because of “a little bit too much barbecue.”

Harrell is signed to a six-year contract with a total maximum value of nearly $15 million that includes $8 million in guaranteed money.

Please discuss.

swede
06-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Harrell said his target weight is 305 pounds, but he admitted recently bulking up to over 320 pounds because of “a little bit too much barbecue.”

Even at 320 he'd need another 50 pounds of front porch to catch Grady Jackson.

Just stay healthy big fella.

packer4life
06-01-2009, 12:11 PM
being 50 pounds lighter just might help that back injury, hmmmm?

Scott Campbell
06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Added defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier: “I’m so glad [Harvin] is on our team, so we don’t have to come up with a plan for him......."

They may end up needing a 12 step plan for Percy before it's over.

HarveyWallbangers
06-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Dude looks like he's in pretty good shape to me.

http://media.jsonline.com/images/264*400/mjs-packers29-23-of-hoffman.jpg-packers29.jpg

http://i.packers.com/pg/2009-05-28/photo16.jpg

Waldo
06-01-2009, 12:29 PM
being 50 pounds lighter just might help that back injury, hmmmm?

If the latest photos of him by the JSO aren't 'shopped (doubt it), I doubt that he has 50 pounds of fat to lose. He doesn't have much gut at all, and looks to have a body that has a body fat % roughly similar to Jenkins.

Notice that this whole weight story with the keywords "BBQ" and "trust" are not being pushed by the JSO at all. They have moved toward more of a positive wait and see approach led by Bedard and the rest of their staff, noting that he is working hard, healthy, and receiving praise from the coaches.

OTOH the GBPG has moved into the bunkers and is lobbing mortars, and continues the scarred earth shelling of any reputation that he might be building, instead latching on to the weight issue as the core of the story, something that at least when viewed through the lens of a camera, appears to be a non story, as it is hard to argue that when given the eyeball test, he does look good.

Basically in all aspects of everything this offseason the JSO has thoroughly pwned the GBPG, the GBPG has almost made itself unreadable. Players and coaches clearly trust the JSO writers more and are more open with them, I'm seeing a bit of a shift in the JSO approach, moving away from the one liner opinionated gotcha journalism prevalent at the GBPG, to a bit more of an independent observer that gives multiple angles within a given story and leaves out much in the way of reporter opinions unless it is stressed that it is so.

HarveyWallbangers
06-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Kampman weighs 270, and he's too small to play DE in a 3-4. I can't tell you if Harrell is in prime shape, but he looks like what most DEs in a 3-4 look like. You don't want him getting much smaller.

packer4life
06-01-2009, 12:33 PM
you think this percy harvin guy is going to be legitimate? i dont follow college football and did not read up on him, what's the basic scoop?

Scott Campbell
06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
you think this percy harvin guy is going to be legitimate? i dont follow college football and did not read up on him, what's the basic scoop?

Incredibly talented. Injury prone. Weed rumors. Head case rumors. Posse rumors. Could have gone much, much higher.

SMACKTALKIE
06-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I love rumors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34--XTjboDI

Scott Campbell
06-01-2009, 01:06 PM
I love rumors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQIFIT382Bw

SMACKTALKIE
06-01-2009, 01:11 PM
I love rumors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQIFIT382Bw

Well.... by that logic Raji is soon to acquire a back problem.

pbmax
06-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, before we start a meme or internet rumor, let's be clear that losing 50 lbs has just been suggested by one of us. Not anyone sensible.

The team wants him at 305.

The suspicious thing about the column when I went back to read it was that it said he weighed more than 320 after a week home at the beginning of May. It doesn't tell us what he weighs now.

packer4life
06-01-2009, 01:19 PM
from that youtube clip he looks fast as hell, but it sure does take him some time to hit that top speed...he wont have the chance to his his stride in the NFL

this year could get really interesting in the north. favre betrays the pack, the 3-4 aggression enters the picture, the wildcat roars, cutler to hester (hopefully a rare occurrence), and on and on

packer4life
06-01-2009, 01:23 PM
what's next, the lions bust out the 4-6 and stafford pulls an orlovsky out his own end zone?

Zool
06-01-2009, 01:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q3l65eA2as

cpk1994
06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Is this guy gonna blow up this year? Do I need to be worried here?:

Vikings’ Harvin Churning Out Highlights
Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 31, 2009, 3:33 p.m.

Minnesota Vikings rookie wide receiver Percy Harvin grabbed the spotlight this weekend, turning in a series of acrobatic plays.

As the Vikings concluded a full-team mandatory minicamp today, Harvin skied into the air in the corner of the end zone to haul in a touchdown pass from Sage Rosenfels, according to Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

“Percy is a special athlete,” Rosenfels said. “Not only is he a good receiver, but he’s got a little bit of that tailback in him.”

Per the report, the former University of Florida standout was well-covered on the play.

The early reviews on Harvin, who also ran the Wildcat offense and returned kicks this weekend, have been extremely positive.

“He’s explosive,” linebacker Ben Leber said. “You definitely want to get the ball in his hands.”

Added defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier: “I’m so glad [Harvin] is on our team, so we don’t have to come up with a plan for him because that’s exactly what you end up having to do is game plan a guy like Percy Harvin.”

AND

Step away from the ribs justin, please:

Injury-Prone Harrell Has A Lot To Prove
Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 31, 2009, 10:52 a.m.

Here’s the total return on the Green Bay Packers’ investment of a first-round draft pick on defensive lineman Justin Harrell two years ago: Eighteen career tackles in 13 games with two starts.

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson’s gamble on the former University of Tennessee player hasn’t paid off at all so far, something that even Harrell acknowledges to Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

This figures to be a pivotal season for Harrell, who’s projected to start at defensive end in new defensive coordinator Dom Capers’ 3-4 scheme.

“It’s my third year here, and I haven’t really did anything since I’ve been here,” Harrell said. “It’s huge. This is one of the biggest years of my life.”

Weight problems and injuries have plagued Harrell, who has defined the phrase: injury-prone.

“You’ve seen my whole track record,” Harrell said. “I don’t think it’s ever going to be shaken. I’m just trying to stay healthy.”

Vandermause raises the question about whether Harrell can be counted on to not balloon up during a two-week honeymoon in Jamaica.

Harrell is signed to a six-year contract with a total maximum value of nearly $15 million that includes $8 million in guaranteed money.

Please discuss.Why worry about Harvin? Becuase he made a few catches in a OTA? The defense is about a strict as a high school one if they had anyone line up on him at all. If he starts doing that in regular season games against real defenses, then worry. That snippet is just a puff piece.

Packnut
06-01-2009, 03:43 PM

Talent wise, he's a legit stud. Very in-mature. Need's to prove he can stay healthy. I would'nt start worrying about him yet.

SMACKTALKIE
06-01-2009, 04:44 PM

Talent wise, he's a legit stud. Very in-mature. Need's to prove he can stay healthy. I would'nt start worrying about him yet.

In-mature? Is that like being in-famous? :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30c0OfL8S6s&feature=PlayList&p=BDD3159575BE872E&index=1

CaptainKickass
06-01-2009, 10:33 PM

In-mature? Is that like being in-famous? :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30c0OfL8S6s&feature=PlayList&p=BDD3159575BE872E&index=1

Yo - Smalktalkie...and we mean this in the most "friendly rivalry" way

UP YOURS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gedjcWLP2E)

:twisted:

SMACKTALKIE
06-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Ohh stop Capt...... you're making me blush.

You love me, you really love me.

CaptainKickass
06-01-2009, 10:51 PM

Geezus H.

This, from a guy who roots for the Bi-Queens.

Irony? Or truth in humor?

I'll let the rest of the posters here decide for themselves.

CaptainKickass
06-01-2009, 11:09 PM

Geezus H.

This, from a guy who roots for the Bi-Queens.

Irony? Or truth in humor?

I'll let the rest of the posters here decide for themselves.

I little reminder for all the children:

I triple dog dare you to click on this SMAKTALKIE (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_most_losses_a_super_bowl_team_has_had)

Packgator
06-02-2009, 12:47 AM

He is very talented. Made SEC defenders look bad. "Could" do the same in the NFL if he can stay healthy. Wish he would have ended up in a different Division.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-02-2009, 02:31 AM

He is very talented. Made SEC defenders look bad. "Could" do the same in the NFL if he can stay healthy. Wish he would have ended up in a different Division.

Gator receivers have traditionally made SEC defenders look bad. And, yet...fails to translate to the NFL.

Not saying Harvin will fall into that category, but the list of Gator receivers performing poorly in the NFL is only rivaled by the list of Nole linemen flops.

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Gator receivers have traditionally made SEC defenders look bad. And, yet...fails to translate to the NFL.

Not saying Harvin will fall into that category, but the list of Gator receivers performing poorly in the NFL is only rivaled by the list of Nole linemen flops.

This is true. The other thing is. Watch his highlights. Are they that impressive? I don't think so. He doesn't really show the ability to run all of the NFL routes. Most of his pass routes are flares out of the backfield with an occasional deep route. He runs the ball in mostly open field, and he looks too small to hold up as a RB. Could he help them out as a guy who touches the ball 10 times/game? Sure. However, I think Vikings fans think they got the next Randy Moss type impact player who fell because of character issues. There's a huge difference though. Without the character issues, Moss is the #1 overall pick easily. There are enough question marks on Harvin that I'm not sure he goes much higher even without the character issues.

Zool
06-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Watch his highlights. Are they that impressive? I don't think so. He doesn't really show the ability to run all of the NFL routes.

Agreed. And he runs stride for stride with defenders, he doesn't blow them out of the water. I don't watch too much SEC so I can only watch clips to form an opinion, but it looks like he's a good to very good player on a great team.

Administrator
06-02-2009, 11:01 AM

This is true. The other thing is. Watch his highlights. Are they that impressive? I don't think so. He doesn't really show the ability to run all of the NFL routes. Most of his pass routes are flares out of the backfield with an occasional deep route. He runs the ball in mostly open field, and he looks too small to hold up as a RB. Could he help them out as a guy who touches the ball 10 times/game? Sure. However, I think Vikings fans think they got the next Randy Moss type impact player who fell because of character issues. There's a huge difference though. Without the character issues, Moss is the #1 overall pick easily. There are enough question marks on Harvin that I'm not sure he goes much higher even without the character issues.

Really? What concerns? All I heard about was the character stuff.

Fritz
06-02-2009, 11:05 AM

Reminds me of ol' what's-his-name - that USC running back drafted top five a couple years ago, I think by N.O., who was supposed to be a big game changer. Dangerous touching the ball maybe ten to twelve times a game, not able to hold up as an every down guy. Forgot the name.

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Reminds me of ol' what's-his-name - that USC running back drafted top five a couple years ago, I think by N.O., who was supposed to be a big game changer. Dangerous touching the ball maybe ten to twelve times a game, not able to hold up as an every down guy. Forgot the name.

Harvin is a poor man's Bush--who is injury prone and has character issues. I will say that he went to the right team though. I'm not discounting the possiblity that he goes to Minnesota and helps them win games. With AP around, he's going to get favorable matchups. However, I hear enough Vikings fans make him out to be some guaranteed stud (without the character issues). I don't think so. Actually, if I felt he was as good as Bush, I'd be more worried about the Vikings picking him up.

Fritz
06-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Thank you, yes. Bush. Reginald Bush.

SMACKTALKIE
06-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Any fan of Football knows that drafting WRs is an educated crap shoot. Probably the 2nd hardest position to evaluate. Harvin falls right into that category and could become a stud or another T. Williamson.

I do like his tweener status however. He has been making good catches (unlike T. Williamson) and taking the ball out of the backfield. Adding another playmaker to the same group as AD is exciting.

Besides, this time of year what else is there to talk about?

SkinBasket
06-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I do like his tweener status however.

Being a "tweener" in the NFL usually translates to being unemployed or spending a lot of time watching the game from the sidelines, always waiting for that explosive potential to find an outlet on the field. Hexagonal peg. Round hole. Unless a team tries to build an offense around the hexagonal peg. Then the hexagonal peg doesn't perform as well as expected and starts murdering dogs. Then you have a hexagonal hole and no pegs.

SMACKTALKIE
06-02-2009, 11:57 AM
I do like his tweener status however.

Being a "tweener" in the NFL usually translates to being unemployed or spending a lot of time watching the game from the sidelines, always waiting for that explosive potential to find an outlet on the field. Hexagonal peg. Round hole. Unless a team tries to build an offense around the hexagonal peg. Then the hexagonal peg doesn't perform as well as expected and starts murdering dogs. Then you have a hexagonal hole and no pegs.

Does Jason Taylor know this? How about Terrell Suggs? Did'nt bush lead all RB's in receptions his rookie year. NFL teams have found places for tweeners on their team more and more lately.

Give you new 3-4 D a few weeks before you start talking of hex pegs and round holes. :wink:

Partial
06-02-2009, 10:18 PM

He's not going to be running NFL routes. He'll be Reggie Bush with equal linear speed and less cutting. Wildcat is exactly how I imagined him being used if he was a Packer pick.

He's not a typical receiver. Too small and pansy like. He'll get killed. Put the spotlight on him and either send him A) deep or B) in the flat. Let him man up with somebody and see how he does. He'll perform in that situation imo.

Highlights are very impressive. He's very speedy and was Florida best O player imo. Absolutely will bust though if you expect him to be a traditional WCO receiver. No way is he big enough for that or is he into going over the middle.

The thread of this guy and Peterson split in the backfield should scare the bageesus out of everyone. Both are lightening fast and will easily get to the corner.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-02-2009, 10:54 PM

Citizens of Hell, please break out your winter coats, Harv has agree with Ty. :lol:

Packgator
06-03-2009, 01:08 AM

No doubt Gator receivers have not had much success in the NFL. I hope the trend continues with Harvin.....at least as long as he is with the Vikings....or at very least in games against the Packers. Such trends can/do end though. Looks like A. Rodgers has ended the "Cal QB's flop in the NFL" trend.

Two most productive Gator WR's in the NFL....using Pro Bowls as the gauge.

1. Wes Chandler (4)
2. Chris Collinsworth (3)

Interesting stat.....

Who holds the NFL record for Single-Season Receiving Yards per Game?

Wes Chandler (1982) 129 yards per game

Fritz
06-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Any fan of Football knows that drafting WRs is an educated crap shoot. Probably the 2nd hardest position to evaluate. Harvin falls right into that category and could become a stud or another T. Williamson.

I do like his tweener status however. He has been making good catches (unlike T. Williamson) and taking the ball out of the backfield. Adding another playmaker to the same group as AD is exciting.

Wasn't Brad Childress caught on film last year in the locker room checking out his tight end's (Visigoth? Simacoe? Something like that?) tweener status?

MJZiggy
06-03-2009, 04:21 PM
That was no tweener... :oops:

cpk1994
06-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Wasn't Brad Childress caught on film last year in the locker room checking out his tight end's (Visigoth? Simacoe? Something like that?) tweener status?I bleive the name you are lookinng for is Vicente Shiancoe.

Fritz
06-03-2009, 05:48 PM

Wasn't Brad Childress caught on film last year in the locker room checking out his tight end's (Visigoth? Simacoe? Something like that?) tweener status?I bleive the name you are lookinng for is Vicente Shiancoe.

Yes. Though I thank you for not giving me an update on the status of his tweener.

cpk1994
06-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Yes. Though I thank you for not giving me an update on the status of his tweener.You'll have to ask Brad Childress if you want that info.

Fritz
06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm going to find a bathroom wall and write "Brad Childress likes tweeners."

He did draft Percy Harvin, after all. And somebody here - I think it was even a Vikings fan, maybe Smacktalkie - said the guy was a big tweener.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Umm, no. He isn't latino. :oops:

VISANTHE SHIANCOE.

Noodle
06-04-2009, 12:04 AM
More like Dirk Diggler. Dude had game.

oregonpackfan
06-04-2009, 01:04 AM
On NFL draft day, former Kansas City Chiefs Head Coach Herman Edwards had some interesting thoughts about Percy Harvin.

I cannot recall the exact quote but it was something like "The Vikings need to hire a personal assistant to escort and be by the side of Percy Harvin 24-7. The guy has so many character issues he probably will be trouble for the Vikings."

Fritz
06-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Since this is about "snippets" from OTA's, letme change the subject and say this:

I hope Evan Dietrich-Smith makes the team, so his teammates - at least any of them with any film history - can call him "Marlene."