PDA

View Full Version : RAY BUCHANON TO PLAYERS: HONOR YOUR CONTRACTS

woodbuck27
07-18-2006, 07:13 AM
BUCHANON TO PLAYERS: HONOR YOUR CONTRACTS

Fr. wbay.com

Some of the old-tim Green Bay Packers took part in the annual Ray Nitschke Golf Classic at Oneida Country Club on Monday. Willie Buchanon was one of those players.

He was the Packers' first pick in 1972 and became a two-time Pro Bowler, AP Defensive Player of the Year, and a Packers hall-of-famer. The defensive back has little sympathy for current players who threaten to miss training camp.

"I know they want their money -- and they deserve their money, that's for sure -- but they know that they signed a contract. They see the number of years of that contract, they know the number, they should honor that. Plain and simple."

Comment: I have to agree in principle with this stance.

I see situations like the one in Minny with QB Brad Johnson's contract - that require special scrutiny and there may be other's like Donald Driver's that demand the player get an extention and more $, but that should be the exception NOT 'the Rule'.

MTPackerfan
07-18-2006, 07:49 AM
amen

GBRulz
07-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Does anyone know if the CBA rules indicate anything like "holdout" clauses cannot be part of a contract? I don't see why more teams don't start doing that.

We're seeing an upward trend in players holding out, or threatening to, until they get their money. It needs to be nipped in the butt real fast.

yes, I think the salaries they receive are outrageous, but when you look at all the money in the NFL, I certainly agree that the players should receive their fair share of it. However, a contract is a contract. Honor it or be penalized.

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2006, 10:45 AM
However, a contract is a contract. Honor it or be penalized.

And they are severely penalized for not honoring contracts. Which is why only guys who have really out-of-line contracts get them rewritten, with or without a holdout.

KYPack
07-18-2006, 11:29 AM
WoodyWoodBuck,

It's Willie Buchanon, you got "Ray" (another great guy & DB) in the headline.

I'll never forget '78 when the Pack played SD in Willie's hometown. Willie had 4 picks and ran one back 77 yds for a TD.

Willie was one of those guys who never had a rookie year, he was an NFL star in his very first year.