PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 NFL rivalries

oregonpackfan
06-04-2009, 11:09 AM
An article lists the alleged top 10 NFL rivalries.

The Packers vs. Vikings was listed as #5.

The Packers vs. Bears rivalry did not even make the top 10! It is certainly the oldest rivalry but in my mind, it should also be listed as #1. The two teams are geographically close, and they have historical dynasties.

What do you think?

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/sports-nflrivalriesrightnow/6/

Fritz
06-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I know it says "recent rivalries," which I see as a near contradiction in terms, but even so, give me the Steelers-Browns or Cowboys-Redskins any day of the week over the Seahawks and Cowboys (WTF?) or Buffalo and Miami.

Gunakor
06-04-2009, 01:06 PM
How about Bengals/Browns? I know neither team really contends for a whole lot in any given season anymore, but when they play each other it's always a very fun, very intense game. They combined for nearly 100 points in a game they played against each other a few years ago. It's been a pretty good rivalry recently IMO.

sheepshead
06-04-2009, 01:18 PM
More crap from the associated press, my advice-scroll past-nothing to see here.

If you dont get the Bears - Packers rivalry, you're not a football fan, not by any stretch, thus--things like this nonsense should be ignored.

Scott Campbell
06-04-2009, 01:54 PM

Unless the Vikings actually win something, it'll never be one of the great rivalries.

Gunakor
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM

Unless the Vikings actually win something, it'll never be one of the great rivalries.

They won the division last year. We won it the year before that. It's a good rivalry.

Scott Campbell
06-04-2009, 02:05 PM

They won the division last year. We won it the year before that. It's a good rivalry.

Division crowns are nice, but you haven't really won anything until they give you one of these:

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2007/09/Lombardi%20Trophy.jpg

Guiness
06-04-2009, 02:42 PM
I know it says "recent rivalries," which I see as a near contradiction in terms, but even so, give me the Steelers-Browns or Cowboys-Redskins any day of the week over the Seahawks and Cowboys (WTF?) or Buffalo and Miami.

The Bills-Miami one might not be a well known rivalry, but it is a good, and serious one.

There's more Buffalo fans at a Miami game than you might think - Buffalo natives vacation there, and tend to retire there. During the 80's, when Marino was in Miami being Marino, Buffalo kept winning the division titles with Jim Kelly & Co. There's also the cold weather/warm weather difference within the same division - kind of like when Tampa was in our division, except in this case both teams were good at the same time.

Fritz
06-04-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm geographically prejudiced, then. I'll still take the Steelers/Browns over the Bills and Dolphins.

Badgerinmaine
06-05-2009, 10:10 PM
The whole idea of "right now" in discussing rivalries seems pretty silly to me. You could have a different top ten list every week of the season if you choose that way. I'm more interested in rivalries with more staying power.
Buffalo-Miami is a very intense rivalry--if you have ever known a Bills fan, you know what I mean--and probably does deserve to be there. But there are a lot of odd omissions: Steelers-Browns has been much more intense much longer than Steelers-Titans. Packers-Bears is an obvious one. The Raiders have had intense rivalries for years with the Chiefs and Broncos (and the Chargers too to a lesser extent), and Cowboys-Redskins has to be in a top ten of NFL rivalries.

The Leaper
06-06-2009, 12:17 AM
A rivalry is only built up over decades of battle.

No team that has been in a city for less than 25 years can really have a rivalry with anyone else. Maybe you have a bitching squabble with another team...but it ain't a rivalry.

3irty1
06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
This is like calling the Brewers-Cubs more of a rivalry than the Cardinals-Cubs. I love the Brewers but they haven't won anything and haven't been around enough to be a rivalry that anyone cares about outside of our two states.

KYPack
06-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Packers-Bears is the top rivalry in the NFL. Part of the "proof" is that when they discuss all-time rivalries in all sports, Packers-Bears is the pick from football.

Red Sox-Yankees
Packer-Bears
Lakers-Celtics

Those are the top ones in pro sports. Marquee teams that have been around a long time and have been champions. The cities don't like each other and the teams management have history and want to beat the other teams brains out. Those are the real big rivalries in pro team sports.

I'd rank 'em in the order listed.

Dabaddestbear
06-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Packers-Bears is the top rivalry in the NFL. Part of the "proof" is that when they discuss all-time rivalries in all sports, Packers-Bears is the pick from football.

Red Sox-Yankees
Packer-Bears
Lakers-Celtics

Those are the top ones in pro sports. Marquee teams that have been around a long time and have been champions. The cities don't like each other and the teams management have history and want to beat the other teams brains out. Those are the real big rivalries in pro team sports.

I'd rank 'em in the order listed.
But I Love you guys :wink:

Seriously, there is no Rivalry as big as the Bears and Packers. You can tell a rivalry by its fan turnout at each away game. Hell, the Vikings cant even fill there stadium on a HOME game against a rival team. Rivalry shows history of when players and coaches didnt like the other team "just because they were "the team" they was supposed to dislike. too easy of a call here. Bears vs Packers #1 - I love to hate you guys on game day, on any day when football isnt discussed you are cool. 8-)

Cheesehead Craig
06-08-2009, 04:51 PM
This is like calling the Brewers-Cubs more of a rivalry than the Cardinals-Cubs. I love the Brewers but they haven't won anything and haven't been around enough to be a rivalry that anyone cares about outside of our two states.
Cubs-Brewers is a big rivalry and I'd put that far ahead of the Cubs-Cardinals.

All the Cubs fans I've ever met have spoken more venemously about Milwaukee than St. Louis.

As far as having to have someone care about it outside of WI and IL to legitimize it is silly. You can make that argument about any team combo.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Cubs-Brewers is a big rivalry and I'd put that far ahead of the Cubs-Cardinals.

All the Cubs fans I've ever met have spoken more venemously about Milwaukee than St. Louis.

As far as having to have someone care about it outside of WI and IL to legitimize it is silly. You can make that argument about any team combo.

Cheesehead, i love you and all, but the Cub fans that you have met are obviously idiots..and most likely bear fans/fair weather cub fans (of which there are a ton).

The cubs and st.louis is a long standing rivalry. How any real cubs fan could say that that Miltown is a bigger rivalry is a mystery..considering how long Miltown has been in the NL.

The cubs/cards have played over 2000 games against each other. They are "fighting" over a territory..s. illinois that gets coverage of both.

You have 2 cities against each other and the big brother/little brother aspect. Harry Caray left the Cards for the Cubs. That type of thing only makes a rivalry deepen.

You have classic mistakes like Lou Brock's trade, Mac vs. sammy, Dusty vs. larussa..and now with longtime rivals Pinella and Larussa, etc.