PDA

View Full Version : NICK BARNETT - READY FOR LEADERSHOP ROLE

woodbuck27
07-18-2006, 07:26 AM
MIDDLE MAN:

BARNETT READY FOR LEADERSHOP ROLE

By RICK BRAUN / Packer Plus Writer
Green Bay Packers / NFL News & Notes

For three seasons, Nick Barnett was the linebacker who drew the attention. The Green Bay Packers' first-round pick in 2003, Barnett has started every game he's played since being named the Packers' man in the middle. As a rookie in 2003, Barnett drew plenty of attention as the team's top draft pick. His every move was followed in training camp and throughout the season. In 2004 and '05 he racked up tackles in big numbers. But in 2006, Barnett will not be the linebacker that gets the majority of the attention. Not with the Packers coming off a 4-12 season. Because of that disappointing finish in 2005, the Packers had the fifth pick in the April draft and they used it on Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk. Barnett increased his total tackle numbers from 134 as a rookie, to 162 in Year 2, to a single-season franchise record of 194 in 2005. But the question for Barnett is whether simply amassing tackles is enough. Entering his fourth season now, expectations for Barnett should be growing.

In 2005 he had an interception (returned 95 yards for a touchdown), a sack, three fumble recoveries and one forced fumble. The interception and touchdown came at the end of a 52-3 rout of New Orleans. That game was already well in hand. Two of Barnett's fumble recoveries came in an upset victory at Atlanta, and his forced fumble came at Minnesota as the Packers dominated in the first half but ended up losing with a second-half collapse.

In 2006, Barnett hopes to become a complete player. And by that he means more than just piling up numbers. "I have good numbers," Barnett said. "There's no getting around me having good numbers. In tackles every year I'm among the top in the NFC for tackles. (But) I make a couple of mental mistakes out there and that's the kind of thing you have to clean up as a veteran going into your fourth year. You don't want to have those mental mistakes and stuff like that. You want to shake your defense out of bad positions and stuff like that. What does it take? Just keep doing what I'm doing. That's what the coaches tell me."

Along with becoming a complete player, Barnett needs to continue growing as a leader. In the span of a few short years he's gone from the rookie of the bunch to the veteran with the longest tenure. Gone are players such as Na'il Diggs and veteran backup Paris Lenon. "I think with these young guys it is more important for me to take on that leadership role and to know my stuff, because they're asking me questions all the time and I can't be like, 'Oh, I don't know what's going on,' " Barnett said. "I've got to be that vet and direct them into the right direction. So from that aspect I've got to step it up as well." Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders watched Barnett a year ago from a bit of a distance as a defensive line coach. Now that he's taken over as coordinator, Sanders is paying much closer attention to what Barnett does. He'd like to see more big plays from the linebacking corps and expects Barnett to lead the way in that and is already seeing progress.

"He made a few big plays last year," Sanders said. "That play he made (an interception in a June 8 practice) reminded me of the one he made against New Orleans. But a lot of times, you've got to be at the spot where the big plays are happening at times. We're trying to get all of our guys - not just Nick, but everyone - to be looking for those shots when we have the chance because we need to turn the ball over more. That was one area we felt like as a staff and as a defense we talked to the guys about needing to improve is in that area of big plays - getting fumbles, causing fumbles, picking them up and scoring on defense, intercepting or knocking balls down. Those type of things. It's an emphasis for everybody, but with the linebackers as well."

Plus, Sanders simply believes it is coming to be Barnett's time. He's been a Packer and a pro for three seasons now and there's no more slack allowed for being a young player. Simply put, Sanders believes a player in his fourth season should be ready to take off. "You'd like to see that," Sanders said. "He's been very productive and you'd like to see him continue to be as productive and continue to be the leader and get better at doing what he does. But certainly the maturation process a guy goes through helps guys."

Along those lines, Sanders expects leadership out of Barnett. "He's had a solid off-season and his work ethic is really good." Sanders said. "He wants to go to that next level. He wants to be one of the premier linebackers in the league and you'll see he is working toward that end." If things shake out as expected, Barnett will continue his tenure in the middle, with Hawk on the weak side and veteran free agent Ben Taylor on the strong side. With a goal of being a great defense, Barnett knows that top play is needed from him and his position mates. After all, great defenses almost always feature big-play linebackers.

"I think we're really close to that," Barnett said.

"Time is going to tell. We've got some great quality guys and some great quality young guys out there ready to make that move, so we're coming along. We won't be able to tell until training camp, honestly, but so far so good."

MTPackerfan
07-18-2006, 07:48 AM
thanks for posting this article. would be nice to see Barnett step up as the leader of the LBs

woodbuck27
07-18-2006, 07:58 AM
thanks for posting this article. would be nice to see Barnett step up as the leader of the LBs

I'll be disappointed if OUR Linebacker's really don't step it up this season.

Alot of you certainly expect more consistency from Nick, and if he's positioned correctly in terms of AJ Hawk's potential for OUR team. I believe we'll see some really exciting stuff happen this year.

I believe that Ted Thompson has made real effort to improve us overall on"D", with the FA's he acquired. If they concentrate on . . . .
' the principle needs ' of their acquisition.

It shouldn't just be 'a wish and a prayer' for us fans and OUR teams management and Coaching Staff.

Nick Barnett in my view, is made of . . ' the RIGHT stuff '.

I've never seen anything, but proper attitude from this man. Some of you may disagree?

Creepy
07-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Barnett is in final yer of contract and has not been offered a new one. His play this year will make the difference, if he continues to run himself out oif pkays, or not be able to get off blocks, he will not be re-signed. He has already sounded his I am ready to leave speech. GB does not treat blacks well, and yada yada.

Truth be told Hodge was drafted to replace Barnett. Now if Barnett plays well GB will offewr himan extension, but atthis time he needs to improve to stay in GB. If not playing well you may see him replaced by Hodge, and then playing only in passing situations. For a lot of Packer vets, this is a year to show you can do your job or be gone. For some it will be overthe whole season such as Green, Davenport, and Barnett. For some it may come to the pre-season such as Ferguson and Roman. Ther are otrhers butthese are the best examples.

GB has a nice group that can be competitive and if some return from injuries at 95%, then Gb may be even stronger than anyone would believe. A lot of players on the bubble for age and injuries.

MJZiggy
07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Welcome to the forum Creepy. I agree with you about a lot of players being on the bubble. There are a lot of guys that got one-year, prove-it-to-me deals.

SD GB fan
07-18-2006, 10:18 PM
good to know that barnett knows he is making mistake here and there. at least hes not stuck up and only gloating on his tackles per year.

Deputy Nutz
07-18-2006, 10:52 PM
NANANA NANANANA NANANA GOOD BYE!!!

Creepy, where ya been?

Creepy
07-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Sittin on the Packer forumn, but it has been getting real stale. My job takes me out of town with no internet access, so when I come back fewer and fewer of the old crowd are there. Saw something and finally realized there was a new site. Good to see some of he people I agreed & disagreed with.

There are so few intelligent posters on the forumn, that I needed more. It is good to be home.

Tony Oday
07-19-2006, 05:51 PM
That is a great point. Hodge to replace Barnett. I dont like it but what the hell good to hedge bets!

Creepy
07-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Hodge is there as GB will either resign Barnett, depending on his play, or move him outside. They may during the year move Hodge inside, Barnett outside and Taylor on the bench. There are a lot of options for GB at the LB posiitons. Hawk has made it easier for them to try somebody else in the middle. The problem before this was Barnett was the best they had at MLB. Now they may have some options and things may change by week 8. Man I wish the season would start, I want to see what they have an what they can do.

woodbuck27
07-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Hodge is there as GB will either resign Barnett, depending on his play, or move him outside. They may during the year move Hodge inside, Barnett outside and Taylor on the bench. There are a lot of options for GB at the LB posiitons. Hawk has made it easier for them to try somebody else in the middle. The problem before this was Barnett was the best they had at MLB. Now they may have some options and things may change by week 8. Man I wish the season would start, I want to see what they have an what they can do.

Hi Creepy and your not exactly new here ( I've read your posts) just looking for the best place to post, and man.You found it .This place is growing fast. Give it a rreal chance - for YOU.

I agree entirely with your take on Barnett, here now, and for OUR future. He knows he has to steo it up and DAM I hope he does because he's no sad sack LBer. He's growing - and I believe he will get better as he plays within himself. I like that he has taken Abdul hodge in hand as Nick doesn't advertise to me, the me first and screw the rest attitude of some.

Does he remain a Packer? With the demands of the players today to meet/assure their needs - who in HELL knows?? That's way beyond me - just the loyal fan.

I want what we have. All of him this season and then after that - whatever. . .?