PDA

View Full Version : A Decade of Wasted Opportunities

GBRulz
07-18-2006, 08:34 AM
yeah, another slow news day and somewhat of a depressing read... __________________________________________________ ____________________
By: Steve Lawrence
, steve_lawrence_packers@yahoo.com

When Brett Favre led the Green Bay Packers to a victory in Super Bowl XXXI, who would have believed the Packers wouldn't be able to duplicate that feat? For many reasons, PackerReport.com's Steve Lawrence says, it's been a decade of wasted opportunities.

Surfing through the million or so channels on the dish a couple days ago, I stumbled across something completely unwatchable. No, not a World Cup soccer match. It was some snippets of Super Bowl XXXII, when the Green Bay Packers stunningly lost to the Denver Broncos.
That was nine seasons ago, which means it's been 10 seasons since Brett Favre led the Packers to the Super Bowl XXXI victory over New England.

Ten long years.

Ten unthinkable years.

Ten maddening years.

Even the most unbiased observer would have to rank that Packers team as one of the best in the Super Bowl era. Green Bay led the league in offense and defense. It had Favre. And Reggie White. And LeRoy Butler. And a splendid group of wide receivers. And a two-headed monster at running back. And a two-headed monster at tight end. And the two-headed monster of Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren.

Sure, White was nearing the end of his glorious career. Some key members of the defense, especially upfront, were aging, as well.

Still, that the Packers have gone 10 seasons without winning the Super Bowl is unthinkable, given Favre's brilliance.

That Favre almost certainly will retire - barring a say-it-ain't-so trade or a series of about 20 miraculous roster moves by Ted Thompson - without adding a second Super Bowl ring is almost beyond comprehension.

There's plenty of blame to go around.

Holmgren's lust for more power and more money perhaps made him, and his team, distracted in the days leading to an agonizing loss at San Francisco in the 1998 NFC wild-card game. Then again, if Jerry Rice's fumble indeed been ruled a fumble, Terrell Owens never would have had the chance to make his game-winning touchdown catch, and perhaps the Packers would have gotten back to another title game.

Wolf's hiring of Ray Rhodes to replace Holmgren led to a lost 1999 season.

Wolf's decision to hire Mike Sherman as coach in 2000, and then push for him to be coach and general manager upon his retirement in 2001, didn't pan out, either.

The Packers were among the favorites to reach the Super Bowl every season under Sherman, but just about every move designed to push the Packers over the top wound up pushing them further down the hill. To be fair, Sherman faced a tough task. The Packers always were tight against the salary cap, making adding to the roster via free agency nearly impossible, and their draft picks almost always were among the worst of each round, making adding difference-making newcomers more difficult. But Sherman kept shooting himself in the feet by trading up to land players who weren't worth the paper their contracts were printed on.

Then there's Favre himself.

He's won two playoff games since Super Bowl XXXI. Following the 2001 regular season, the Packers rallied past the 49ers in a wild-card game, only to lose the next week when Favre threw six interceptions at St. Louis.

The Packers seemed a team of destiny in 2003. Favre had his memorable performance at Oakland following his father's death, and the Packers snuck into the playoffs on Arizona's incredible upset of Minnesota in Week 17. The Packers capitalized by beating Seattle in overtime in a wild-card game on Al Harris' game-winning interception. The next week, at Philadelphia, the Packers botched opportunities to put the Eagles away, went to overtime, and lost on Favre's up-for-grabs interception.

In between, in 2002, Favre and the beat-up Packers lost the franchise's first Lambeau Field playoff game in team history on a cold night against Atlanta, of all locales. Then, in 2004, Favre was picked off four times in another home playoff loss, this time to Minnesota.

All told, in his last five playoff games, Favre is 1-4 with 13 interceptions.

None of this is meant to bash Favre, or Sherman and Wolf, for that matter. If this is Favre's final season, then it should be treated as a four-month celebration for all he's done and all he's meant to the franchise.

But in five or 10 years, especially if the Packers are unable to add to their Lombardi Trophy collection, their missed opportunities will be harder to stomach than watching John Elway celebrate his Super Bowl XXXII victory over Favre.[/i][/b]

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Teams win the Super Bowl on average of once every 32 years.

Packers had a good run in Holmgren -> Sherman years.

MadtownPacker
07-18-2006, 10:47 AM
This is why I can never hate Sherman. For all his bumbling GM moves and terrible game management he tried his hardest to get to another SuperBowl. I will always admire him for risking his neck. At least he took a chance and if he had just went for it on the 4th&1 against philly I have no doubt they would have beat Carolina the next week and made it to the big dance.

Damn I hate articles like this! :evil:

Partial
07-18-2006, 11:06 AM
This is why I can never hate Sherman. For all his bumbling GM moves and terrible game management he tried his hardest to get to another SuperBowl. I will always admire him for risking his neck. At least he took a chance and if he had just went for it on the 4th&1 against philly I have no doubt they would have beat Carolina the next week and made it to the big dance.

Damn I hate articles like this! :evil:

man, why must this always be brought up. I just remember screaming what a pussy at the TV

Anti-Polar Bear
07-18-2006, 11:44 AM
The Packers always were tight against the salary cap, making adding to the roster via free agency nearly impossible

Ted Thompson had $35 M and all he could sign is one pro bowl caliber player. Thompson is front loading contracts to cover up his inefficiency using the cap and his inability to lure multi-elite free agents to Green Bay. Not to mention, Thompson dismantled a top 3 offense by fucking up with the Wahle situation and failing to draft Logan Mankins in the 1st round of the 2005 draft. Ted Thompson also is responsible for trading away Walker for crap.

Sherman had less money in each of his three seasons combined than the $7.5 M and $35 M Thompson had his first two seasons, respectively, and Sherman was able to keep Tauscher and Clifton under contracts, as well as hand KGB $13 M in SB. Losing Wahle was unacceptable.

If Sherman led the Packers into a cap hell, then no way Thompson would have had $35 M this year. There is no logical explanation showing that Sherman led the Packers into a cap hell.

Ted Thompson is a motherfucking polar bear who loves to hibernate. Or maybe he just suck!!! Yes, Ted Thompson suck!!!

MJZiggy
07-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Sorry, Tank. I'm just not in the mood today. Maybe another time.

BlueBrewer
07-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Fuck you Tank, fuck your friend if you have one , fuck your bong which is probably your only friend, and fuck the horse you rode in on. Oh yeah I am tired of your rhetoric. Peace out fucker!!

Rastak
07-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Fuck you Tank, fuck your friend if you have one , fuck your bong which is probably your only friend, and fuck the horse you rode in on. Oh yeah I am tired of you rhetoric. Peace out fucker!!

The broken record does get a bit old. Tank, you need to add some new material.

mraynrand
07-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Fuck you Tank, fuck your friend if you have one , fuck your bong which is probably your only friend, and fuck the horse you rode in on. Oh yeah I am tired of you rhetoric. Peace out fucker!!

The broken record does get a bit old. Tank, you need to add some new material.

Why should APB have to add material when these points can't really be refuted? That's not to say that the Packers would have been all that much better with Wahle - maybe another 10 win seaon. What's clear is that Sherman was trying to win with Favre before he retired. Sherman got the guy in his 10th year in 2000, with the mileage of a 15 year vet. That Favre continues to play and play reasonably well (he had a pro bowl year statistically in 2004) is a testament to the leadership of Sherman.

The article also stated:
"But Sherman kept shooting himself in the feet by trading up to land players who weren't worth the paper their contracts were printed on. "

Uhh, Sherman never had a chance to draft higher than 20, and even that was due to his moving up to get Javon Walker. Walker, along with Green, and Sherman's running attack (the best in the history of the Green Bay Packers), were the reason the Packers had a shot at the title in 2002 and 2003. If you want to blame Sherman for all the injuries in 2002, go ahead. If you want to blame him for all his decisions going sour in 2003 against Philly, go ahead. But the article fails to ackowledge just how difficult it is to maintain greatness when you draft at the bottom of the first round and the bottom of the second round, etc.

Probably the biggest factor that brought an early demise to the Packers of the 2000s (the aughts) was the blown Reynolds pick. A blue chip pro bowler at a skill position (like Walker - the Packer's best number one pick sine Sharpe), might have saved them. Think getting Richard Seymour instead of Reynolds and you'll see what I mean.

LEWCWA
07-18-2006, 02:45 PM
you guys all bash Tank, but there is some truth to his rants! Thompson was brought in here and either told to or decided to rebuild a contending team! This team could have kept its players and made a couple of more runs at it and endured the rebuilding when Favre left(which I would have preferred). You guys have all bought into the bogus Salary cap reasoning, when it was just decided it was more prudent to start purging the roster and rebuilding. I can't believe more of you Favre homers aren't pissed!

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-18-2006, 03:35 PM
In 2002, 2003 and 2004 we lost playoff games because our defense sucked ass. The only reason we had good records those years is because our offense was so good we held the ball for 40 minutes a game. In the playoffs your defense is going to take you to the superbowl not your offense. TT was right in not using our last amount of cap space in signing a guard. Yes our offense would have been in the top 10 again and we would of had a 10-6 record, but all to just lose in the playoffs again. TT is rebuilding our defense first and thats why i think we will have a big turn around and maybe go somewhere in the playoffs this time.

GBRulz
07-18-2006, 04:01 PM
If I had to choose which coach to blame because Brett doesn't have a 2nd ring, it's Holmgren, not Sherman.

Tarlam!
07-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Oh come ON! Sherman brought us mediocratity! TT proved with his Nick Collins pick you can get a starter at the bottom of the SECOND round if you know what to look for.

Gimme a friggin break. Why are the Pats contenders after drafing 32nd 3 times of the last 5 drafts?

b bulldog
07-18-2006, 04:08 PM
I blame

b bulldog
07-18-2006, 04:08 PM
I blame Brett himself for that, along with his teammates.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Why should APB have to add material when these points can't really be refuted? That's not to say that the Packers would have been all that much better with Wahle - maybe another 10 win seaon. What's clear is that Sherman was trying to win with Favre before he retired. Sherman got the guy in his 10th year in 2000, with the mileage of a 15 year vet. That Favre continues to play and play reasonably well (he had a pro bowl year statistically in 2004) is a testament to the leadership of Sherman.

The article also stated:
"But Sherman kept shooting himself in the feet by trading up to land players who weren't worth the paper their contracts were printed on. "

Uhh, Sherman never had a chance to draft higher than 20, and even that was due to his moving up to get Javon Walker. Walker, along with Green, and Sherman's running attack (the best in the history of the Green Bay Packers), were the reason the Packers had a shot at the title in 2002 and 2003. If you want to blame Sherman for all the injuries in 2002, go ahead. If you want to blame him for all his decisions going sour in 2003 against Philly, go ahead. But the article fails to ackowledge just how difficult it is to maintain greatness when you draft at the bottom of the first round and the bottom of the second round, etc.

Probably the biggest factor that brought an early demise to the Packers of the 2000s (the aughts) was the blown Reynolds pick. A blue chip pro bowler at a skill position (like Walker - the Packer's best number one pick sine Sharpe), might have saved them. Think getting Richard Seymour instead of Reynolds and you'll see what I mean.

Good post.

MJZiggy
07-18-2006, 04:46 PM
I blame Brett himself for that, along with his teammates.

I'm surprised and shocked!! I never could have predicted such a response from you. :razz:

mraynrand
07-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Oh come ON! Sherman brought us mediocratity! TT proved with his Nick Collins pick you can get a starter at the bottom of the SECOND round if you know what to look for.

Or you could trade a second round pick to move up and draft a pro-bowl wide out, or trade a second to bring in an immediate starter at corner. That is, if you want to win BEFORE your HOF QB slides into oblivion. Different strategies by GMs with different timetables for victory.

Oscar
07-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Theres also the option of trading up and drafting an :smile: all star punter. :shock:

Noodle
07-18-2006, 05:35 PM
If I had to choose which coach to blame because Brett doesn't have a 2nd ring, it's Holmgren, not Sherman.

I couldn't agree more with this post. MrAynRand also speaks truth.

It always amazes me how sports fans don't seem to get how much good fortune plays in to Championships. When you get your chance at the show, you've got to make it count, because there's just no telling how injuries, bad breaks, bad calls, etc., are going to affect you.

We had our chance against Denver, and we didn't carpe diem. That's on Holmgren, not Shermy. All Shermy did was bust his nads trying to get us to the promised land. Holmgren was there and didn't take advantage of it.

Yeah, the Pats have had a great run, but what if Vinateri doesn't make all those great, clutch kicks? Then the Pats are just the Bills.

b bulldog
07-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Brett's playoff failures can be attributed to Brett himself

mraynrand
07-18-2006, 05:44 PM
We had our chance against Denver, and we didn't carpe diem. That's on Holmgren, not Shermy. All Shermy did was bust his nads trying to get us to the promised land. Holmgren was there and didn't take advantage of it.

I blame Tampa Bay, Indy and the NFL refs. Both teams deliberately injured Gilbert Brown during the regular season. That had a huge (pun intended) effect on the Packer D, with Gilbert hurt and out of shape by the Superbowl. Eugene Robinson also had a horrendous day.

MadtownPacker
07-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Brett's playoff failures can be attributed to Brett himselfYes, it is his fault for not throwing in the towel when his crappy defense that included choke artist like darren sharper kept giving up TDs at crucial times. It is his fault for not caring about his stats and continuing to sling the ball.

But I dont know who's fault it is that you are acting like a bears fan dissing on the QB who helped bring the Pack out of the NFL basement.

Tony Oday
07-18-2006, 05:57 PM
I blame Sherman for bad play calling in preasure situations. Who here didnt like the Joe Johnson signing? Drafting a stud DE in Reynolds? I would have had no problem with him if he didnt overpay for his own players, and really even some of that is ok, but the Eagles game just killed me. You got there because of a stud running game and an explosive offense that covered for your inept defense...soooooooo....hmmmm....ya lets give the game to the defense and see if they can win it! WTF!!!!

I still dont think that not signing Whale and Rivera doomed us. last year our team was a fricken MASH unit out there. I think this is a nice rebound year and I like the fact that we are going defense now.

mraynrand
07-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Brett's playoff failures can be attributed to Brett himself

Isn't this true by definition?

b bulldog
07-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Yes it is but I had to get the apologists worked up cause whenever Brett throws a pic, it's the coach's,WR's,sun,noise level,Oline's,did I mention WR's,fans,....fault,never Brett's.

Scott Campbell
07-18-2006, 08:08 PM

LOL

This just in. Holmgren won a Superbowl here.

Bretsky
07-18-2006, 09:28 PM

Or you could trade a second round pick to move up and draft a pro-bowl wide out, or trade a second to bring in an immediate starter at corner. That is, if you want to win BEFORE your HOF QB slides into oblivion. Different strategies by GMs with different timetables for victory.

I think the whole 2001 draft was what lead most to our failures of Sherman.
Not only Jamal Reynolds, but Ferguson over Chris Chambers and then Torrence Marshall. In a year when we should have been stockpiling talent to set us up for another few runs, we got nothing out of that draft. And we gave up Matt Hasslebeck to get the nothing so we were left with less talent, no future depth, and one less capable QB.

YUCK

Bretsky
07-18-2006, 09:30 PM

LOL

THAT SUPER BOWL LOSS WAS ON MANY MORE PEOPLE THAN HOLMY.

Where were the defensive adjustments; heck, did our DL even show up ? I have a hard time with people blaming Holmy for that loss; he tried lecturing us against overconfidence, but bottom line IMO was the players believed they had it made (per the media) and didn't come ready to play.

Our defense was horrible all day long that day.

B

mraynrand
07-18-2006, 09:35 PM
I think the whole 2001 draft was what lead most to our failures of Sherman.
Not only Jamal Reynolds, but Ferguson over Chris Chambers and then Torrence Marshall. In a year when we should have been stockpiling talent to set us up for another few runs, we got nothing out of that draft. And we gave up Matt Hasslebeck to get the nothing so we were left with less talent, no future depth, and one less capable QB.

YUCK

That was a gawdawful draft. I remember Wolf being excited that they picked up Bill Ferrario on day two - like he was going to be another Tauscher - a late round diamond. Ferrario was a lump of coal in your Chirstmas stocking. That entire draft was for shit. Jue and Ferguson were your 'big contributors' LOL.

MadtownPacker
07-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Yes it is but I had to get the apologists worked up cause whenever Brett throws a pic, it's the coach's,WR's,sun,noise level,Oline's,did I mention WR's,fans,....fault,never Brett's.

If you recall the interview after the playoff loss to the Rams when Favre was asked how he felt about throwing 6 picks, Favre stated ""Nothing's inconceivable to me," Favre said. "I could have thrown eight had we gotten the ball back, you know.".

Doesnt sound like he needed any apologists to me.

esoxx
07-18-2006, 09:42 PM

LOL

Where were the defensive adjustments; heck, did our DL even show up ? I have a hard time with people blaming Holmy for that loss; he tried lecturing us against overconfidence, but bottom line IMO was the players believed they had it made (per the media) and didn't come ready to play.

Our defense was horrible all day long that day.

B

You're right B. The defense was abysmal that day, especially the run defense. Sieve like. Then we catch a break and TD has to sit out for a quarter of the game but still couldn't capitalize.

The blame I give to Holmgren in that game is not sticking with the run game. Levens was just gashing the Broncos early in the game. They were an undersized front and could not handle it. He got a bit cute trying to pass too much and burn the blitz. I know Harry Sydney has repeatedly said the offensive coaches were steamed when they didn't ride Levens more that game b/c they couldn't stop him.

Regarding Sherman, what I find hard to believe is he couldn't even guide them to the NFC Championship Game w/ Favre, that O-line and Ahman Green at the height of his game. It is sad more damage wasn't done these past 10 years.

Creepy
07-18-2006, 09:55 PM
What I rememeber most is the final time GB had the ball. Favre back, Freeman on a crossing pattern and he drops it. The look showed he had a good chance of taking it into the end-zone. Instead GB ends that same series with a 4th down incompletion. I don't think Holmgren made a mistake, I just belive too many things went wrong for GB to win.

1. Sean Gilbert going out in the first series
2. Holmgren activating a new DB (believ it was Haynes, but not sure) and leaving a third DE out of the game. He was more worried about Elways arm than his Davis' legs.
3. Having to move (can't remember his name) to DE though he was a DT and they just kept running sweep after sweep after sweep at him.
4. Not running Dorsey enough, even though he was tearing the Broncos apart.
5. Freeman dropping an almost assured TD on the final drive.

GB had what it needed to win the 97 SB, they just didn't make the right decisons, and when it mattered made the bigger mistakes.

mraynrand
07-18-2006, 09:56 PM
I know Harry Sydney has repeatedly said the offensive coaches were steamed when they didn't ride Levens more that game b/c they couldn't stop him.

Especially on two occasions:

1) when the Packers got the ball at midfield tied 24 all, they should have rode Levens into the end zone. Their D was whipped and they needed to control the ball. When Favre overthrew Freeman on a deep out, the drive sputtered

2) On the final drive, Favre was tossing swing passes to Levens and no one was covering him. Inexplicably, Holmgren started tossing the ball downfield. Denver was pretty much playing prevent with a bunch of d-backs hurt and the short dump off pass was wide open, time and again. If that was on Favre, so be it. But they could have gotten closer dropping off to Levens. Then they could have taken shots at the end zone.

cpk1994
07-20-2006, 08:17 AM
All Shermy did was bust his nads trying to get us to the promised land. Holmgren was there and didn't take advantage of it.

Please! You Sherman apologists are grasping at straws. Do you forget trading up to get BJ Sander? How about the drafting of Johnathon Lee? Donnell Washington? Trading 2 picks for R-Cal Truluck? Signing Hardly Nickerson? Should I givve you more examples. Face it, Sherman totally destroyed the depth of the team, but thats okay to people like you becasue he "bussted his nads to get us to the promised land". God, you you love Sherman so damn bad, why don't you put on a Texans hat and move to Houston so you can continue to kiss his ass. You also seem to forget that part of the reason the Pack was this far under the cap was because of the new CBA.

Iron Mike
07-20-2006, 11:32 AM

LOL

I'm gonna blame it all on Gabe Wilkins! :mad:

mraynrand
07-20-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm gonna blame it all on Gabe Wilkins! :mad:

If you're picking one guy to pin that loss on, you've made a fine selection.

mraynrand
07-20-2006, 09:20 PM
BTW,
That drop by Freeman on the final drive wasn't a guaranteed TD, and the pass was behind him - but he should have caught it.

ALSO, how many think Holgren would have gone for two if the Packers had scored a TD to make it 31-30. IF they had scored, and Holmgren had gone for 2, that would have been the most exciting play in Superbowl history.

Bretsky
07-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Oh, but I think it was a TD; the CB covering Freeman had fallen down if memory serves me right. I think it was a free ride from there.

THEN AGAIN, Denver would have had time to come back for the winning field goal, and the way our D played they probably would have.

HarveyWallbangers
07-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Actually, I remember Freeman being covered well on that play. It's a pass that Favre had to try to thread in there, and they just missed. If anybody has video of that game, I'd like to know what is fact.

Bretsky
07-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Freeman was well covered until the guy lost his footing; the ball was a bit behind Freeman and I think it hit him in the shoulder pad. If the pud would have caught it with his hands we'd have been fine.

HarveyWallbangers
07-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Freeman was well covered until the guy lost his footing; the ball was a bit behind Freeman and I think it hit him in the shoulder pad. If the pud would have caught it with his hands we'd have been fine.

Funny! My recollection is that he was tightly covered. The DB slipped as Freeman was diving for the ball. I remember the ball going off Freeman's fingertips--not off his shoulder pad. Now, I want to know what actually happened.

Noodle
07-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the always helpful observation, SC. But the question was why Favre isn't dangling two rings. I give credit to Holmgren for No. 1, but I think he bears a big burden for not getting No. 2.

A lot of stuff has to bounce your way to even get into the SB, and my point was that if you're fortunate enough to get there, then you've got to seize your opportunity.

The Pack didn't do that against Denver, a team that most observers would have said at the time we should've beaten, and I've never gotten over that lost opportunity.

packerpete
07-20-2006, 11:45 PM
I have a video of that game, I have not been able to make myself put the fucking thing in the VCR since the game ended.

I still have that goddam tape, I may never play that fucking thing.

Gabe Wilkins is the biggest pussy that ever lived. He got a few cut blocks and he ran to the sidelines with a fake boo-boo. Darius Holland was over his head with that pansy Seth Joyner behind him in run defense on our right side. Goodbye fourth SB title, Hello first loss in a Championship game since 1960.

The Packers had to let Wilkins go after the way he quit on his teammates in that game, he wouldnt have gotten out of the locker room alive the next season. Besides, I think that destroyed his confidence too, look at how he became completely invisible with the 9ers.

That said, I still place a great deal of blame on Holmgren for being a distraction by answering questions about his uncertain future all during the 2 week lead up to the game. That prick was just trying to build his image for other teams to increase his price and reputation instead of getting his team ready and keeping them focused. Then he played 98 trying not to lose, not trying to win, just to guarantee he would get a fat offer. The team won in spite of him that year, not because of him. I appreciate what he did for GB, but I hate what he did in the end.

I also remember quite a lot of calls going against the Pack including an obvious interference call that wasnt made on Freeman, then Favres pass went past him and was intercepted in the first half.

I had friends over to watch the game and they left because they thought I was going to kill something. I wouldnt have actually killed anything except maybe Wilkins if I could have reached him.

Thanks for dredging up this vile bitter piece of history, anyone wanna talk about that Jerry Rice fumble, or a debacle in Philadelphia while we are at it?

Bretsky
07-21-2006, 08:17 AM

Funny! My recollection is that he was tightly covered. The DB slipped as Freeman was diving for the ball. I remember the ball going off Freeman's fingertips--not off his shoulder pad. Now, I want to know what actually happened.

Ah, just take my word for it :wink: