PDA

View Full Version : NFL Coaches Hot Seat

KYPack
06-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Yes, yes, it's much too early for this list. We aren't really even in camp yet, how can any coach be on the hot seat? Well, actually, some of 'em are. And it really isn't their fault. You see, this is an unusual year. It isn't so much the coaches that are in their jobs, it's who is waiting in the wings. Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, and Jon Gruden have all won Super bowls. All 4 of 'em are total coaching free agents. Each have different situations, but all of 'em are football freaks and still able to help organizations. And one or two of 'em will probably be coaching in '10. I can't remember 4 more qualified coaches waiting in the wings and it's a factor in the continued employment of the following NFL coaches.

1. Wade Phillips Dallas Cowboys. I thought "Easy Wader" would be fired at the conclusion of last season. Instead, JJ ran off TO, after his son and Garrett convinced "Jerruh" that Owens was the cancer that needed surgery. Many NFL observers think Wade's gone next season no matter what. It may take a SB appearance to keep Wade in big D.

2.Dick Jauron Buffalo Bills. Buffalo made some big off-season moves. By going "all-in", the Bills warmed up the old hot seat for Jauron. Buffalo could have almost any kind of record based on a defense and an offense that both need to gel if they are to perform at a high level. Expectations are high and Buffalo will need to have a play-off appearance or a very solid run to keep Jauron the Bills coach.

3. Brad Childress Minny Soda ViQueens Seems like he's been listed in every hot seat article in the last 3 years. The ViQueens won three of their final four games to slide into the playoffs atop the NFC North last season, but that was the bare minimum for Childress to keep his job, and he didn't accomplish much once in the playoffs. So, if the Vikings go back to the way they have played under Childress in 2006 and 2007, underachieving with a top level defense, old Baldy is out.

4 . Norv Turner SD Norv was headed out of SD last season, too. Most of the coaches with high pre-season expectations got canned last year except for Phillips at Dallas. The late season rally that got the Chargers in the play-offs saved Turner's job. Norv's on his third team and none of 'em have gotten deep in the post-season. If they fired 'ol Marty after a great season and a first round out, shouldn't they be as quick to can Turner?

5. Josh McDaniels Broncos. I hate Denver and have been happy all off-season. McDaniels has shot his mouth off pretty hard and started a goofy power struggle with his QB for strange reasons, most if which add up to inexperience. McDaniels has the potential to be the worst first year coach since Les Steckel (AKA Less Steckel). McDaniels hasn't coached a game yet, but he's put himself in a position where he has to live up to high expectations in order to keep his job. The Broncos aren't looking for a chance to rebuild, and McDaniels will not be graded on the quality of his defense in his first year. Does Pat Bowlen trust McDaniels and will he give him plenty of time to get the Broncos back into the playoffs? I really don't like this kid and am rooting for him to bomb badly in his first season at the Bronco helm and earn a pink slip

The "very warm seat"

These guys are on less shaky ground, but could also have problems

-Sean Payton Saints

He was God in his first season, but the glow has worn off. He could be gone with another average campaign. Payton's offensive concepts were cutting edge 3 season's ago, but they've become pretty static. Their additions on D look promising, but so far there has been little to show for it. Another lackluster season could well result in a change in the Big Easy".

-John Fox, Carolina

The presence of Bill Cowher is a big factor in this listing. Cowher has settled in NC and likes the area. Fox has been around for seven seasons, and last year, he rebounded to lead the Panthers to 12 wins and the NFC South title. But Fox is a mainstay on these hot seat lists because of failures such as last year's NFC Divisional Round debacle against Arizona. The allure of the 2003 season is now gone. Fox could be in-line for a contract extension if his team has another 10+ win regular season, but if they drop to 3rd or 4th in the NFC South, he could get the boot.

- Jack Del Rio, Jacksonville
Del Rio has lasted an impressively long tenure in Jacksonville, as he begins his 7th year as coach of the Jags, one of only two coaches to roam the sideline in the franchises history (Tom Coughlin -- 8 seasons). But recent inconsistencies--following up playoff years in 2005 and 2007 with non-winning seasons in 2006 and 2008--mean that Del Rio is only as safe as his next season suggests. I don't think it's playoffs or bust for Del Rio, but if he wants to match Coughlin's length of tenure, he best have his team in the hunt in December.

- Jim Zorn, Washington
Jim Zorn is a second year head coach, but has been handed a ready-to-win team that figures to be much better than last year's 8-8 team. By no means is the Redskins roster without flaw, , but the expectations in the beltway mean that Zorn has to oversee a team that improves over last years first promising, but ultimately disappointing effort. Owner Dan Snyder has a itchy trigger finger and may use it on Zorn.

- Lovie Smith, Duh Chicaga Barz Lotta pressure on Smith. Coach Lovie is going to get all the heat if/when the team does not win with Jay Cutler. When your G.M. gets a top ten NFL QB gift-wrapped in a trade to you, losses against other teams in the division will likely not be tolerated. If the Bears struggle against Green Bay, Minnesota, and Detroit this year, I think Smith could take the fall. Otherwise, he should get at least one more year to try to get back to the playoffs.

- Mike McCarthy, Green Bay
If Smith's on here, fairness requires one to postulate, what if the Pack goes 6-10 again? Would the GM have to pull the trigger to save his job? Maybe.

- Andy Reid, Philadelphia
Andy Reid is still in a great situation for a coach to be in. However, do understand that both of the last two Eagles' playoff teams have wound up in last place the following season. That is not a pattern that will be tolerated for a third time. For Reid, it might be a playoffs or bust year. This also marks his 11th season with the team. Maybe he's out-stayed his welcome. It might take a bad year, but an iffy QB and an older D might yield a bad year and a early retirement for big Andy.

Scott Campbell
06-07-2009, 10:47 AM

Scott Campbell
06-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Coaches have to be pretty desperate to want jobs in Dallas or Oakland. You really have no chance at all in those situations.

woodbuck27
06-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Nice thread start KYP. On top of it. :D

ThunderDan
06-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Great thread KY.

I disagree on Josh McDaniels and Denver.

I think by signing 32 free agents and trading Cutler for two 1st round picks that Denver really is rebuilding. I know what the front office is saying but I just don't believe it. Unless Denver goes 4-12 McDaniels is back next year.

KYPack
06-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Nice thread start KYP. On top of it. :D

Got sick of posting in threads about which "Tiger Beat" article about Jay Cutler was the grooviest.

KYPack
06-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Great thread KY.

I think by signing 32 free agents and trading Cutler for two 1st round picks that Denver really is rebuilding. I know what the front office is saying but I just don't believe it. Unless Denver goes 4-12 McDaniels is back next year.

Yer right, TD.

I just think McDaniels is a punk ass weasel and I WANT to see him get fired. I, too, think baby Josh gets that first year hall pass. If Bowlen cans him, Bowlen looks like a fool.

Scott Campbell
06-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Great thread KY.

Yer right, TD.

I just think McDaniels is a punk ass weasel and I WANT to see him get fired. I, too, think baby Josh gets that first year hall pass. If Bowlen cans him, Bowlen looks like a fool.

I thought Bowlen might fire him this summer. I can't remember a shorter honeymoon for any coach in history.

Scott Campbell
06-07-2009, 11:15 AM
3. Brad Childress Minny Soda ViQueens Seems like he's been listed in every hot seat article in the last 3 years. The ViQueens won three of their final four games to slide into the playoffs atop the NFC North last season, but that was the bare minimum for Childress to keep his job, and he didn't accomplish much once in the playoffs. So, if the Vikings go back to the way they have played under Childress in 2006 and 2007, underachieving with a top level defense, old Baldy is out.

Is it me, or does it seem like the Vikings have been hoping for a good reason to can the guy?

ThunderDan
06-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Is it me, or does it seem like the Vikings have been hoping for a good reason to can the guy?

I was so happy when the Eagles took him off of the Badger's hands.

Joemailman
06-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Three of the coaches on the "very warm" seat have new defensive coordinators this year. McCarthy (Dom Capers), Fox (Ron Meeks), and Payton (Gregg Williams). The level of success of those DC's may have a lot to say about whether these guys survive.

Joemailman
06-07-2009, 11:33 AM
It will also be interesting to see if Lovie unleashes the offense now that he has Cutler. Ron Turner, the current DC, was also the Bears DC in 1995 when Eric Kramer had 29 TD passes. This included the great 35-28 game against the Packers when Favre threw 5 TD passes on a bad ankle. Favre's greatest game, IMHO.

KYPack
06-07-2009, 11:39 AM
It will also be interesting to see if Lovie unleashes the offense now that he has Cutler. Ron Turner, the current DC, was also the Bears DC in 1995 when Eric Kramer had 29 TD passes. This included the great 35-28 game against the Packers when Favre threw 5 TD passes on a bad ankle. Favre's greatest game, IMHO.

Right, but OC, not DC.

He's Norv's brother, BTW

MJZiggy
06-07-2009, 11:56 AM
But the former DC played all year against the offense and should know how to counter it pretty well...

oregonpackfan
06-07-2009, 12:04 PM
This past season, the NBA had its most incredible "Win for the team right now or get fired" mentality. Halfway through the season, about 1/4th of the coaches were canned. A couple of them had above .500 records but did not "reach expectations."

I wonder if the NFL will have that same mindset this year with their coaches.

Joemailman
06-07-2009, 12:25 PM
The NFL generally waits until the season is over to fire coaches. It's much more difficult for an NFL coach to step in as HC in the middle of the season due to the number of players involved and complexity of the offenses and defenses.

Pacopete4
06-07-2009, 02:12 PM
If 6-10 happens again and we dont have a new GM and Head coach.. I'll fucking puke

cpk1994
06-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Three of the coaches on the "very warm" seat have new defensive coordinators this year. McCarthy (Dom Capers), Fox (Ron Meeks), and Payton (Gregg Williams). The level of success of those DC's may have a lot to say about whether these guys survive.I think they are all safe no matter what, barring an epic collapse. A new DC is basically a one year exemption.

ThunderDan
06-07-2009, 04:50 PM
If 6-10 happens again and we dont have a new GM and Head coach.. I'll fucking puke

If we don't win the SB in the next 3 years and we dont have a new GM and Head coach ... I'll f@cking puke.

cpk1994
06-07-2009, 07:33 PM

If we don't win the SB in the next 3 years and we dont have a new GM and Head coach ... I'll f@cking puke.Won't matter to me. I'll support TT until he is gone. Then I'll support the next GM. Ditto for McCarthy and his succcessor. No puking here.

ThunderDan
06-07-2009, 08:26 PM

If we don't win the SB in the next 3 years and we dont have a new GM and Head coach ... I'll f@cking puke.Won't matter to me. I'll support TT until he is gone. Then I'll support the next GM. Ditto for McCarthy and his succcessor. No puking here.

It was a joke. :oops: I guess you don't see the sarcasm. I guess I should have said:
If we don't make the next 3 Superbowls in the next 3 years and we dont have a new GM and Head coach ... I'll f@cking puke.

That would have been too obvious. :)

Carolina_Packer
06-07-2009, 09:07 PM
What about Bengals head coach, Marvin Lewis? That welcome has to be about worn out.

cpk1994
06-07-2009, 09:18 PM

It was a joke. :oops: I guess you don't see the sarcasm. I guess I should have said:
If we don't make the next 3 Superbowls in the next 3 years and we dont have a new GM and Head coach ... I'll f@cking puke.

That would have been too obvious. :)I guess my response was more toward paco than you, but I'll get my sarcasm detector fixed immediatlly. :oops:

Fritz
06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Interesting analysis which points up the lack of logic that often dominates the NFL....a couple of coaches on that list - Fox and Del Rio, I think - are mentioned as being in line for a possible extension if they have good seasons - but being shitcanned if they have bad seasons. I agree with that analysis. That's probably the case for each of them.

So . . . after several years of coaching for the same organization, you're a good coach if you have a good season and a bad coach if you have a bad season.

Ah, the NFL. Coaches don't get fired; teams just "go in a different direction."

Zool
06-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Interesting analysis which points up the lack of logic that often dominates the NFL....a couple of coaches on that list - Fox and Del Rio, I think - are mentioned as being in line for a possible extension if they have good seasons - but being shitcanned if they have bad seasons. I agree with that analysis. That's probably the case for each of them.

So . . . after several years of coaching for the same organization, you're a good coach if you have a good season and a bad coach if you have a bad season.

Ah, the NFL. Coaches don't get fired; teams just "go in a different direction."

Unfortunately this is brought about by fans who are the ones who make the whole thing go. If fans are pissed they stop going to games. This obviously isnt a problem in GB, but in most towns its typical. Owners put pressure on GM's to sell tickets however they can. Bringing in a new coach gives some buzz to a team selling more tickets. Bringing in high profile FA's gives a team buzz.

Stability brings wins and championships but that doesnt always sell tickets in some markets. So we get fans clamoring for big name FA signings so they can buy jerseys. Fan clamor for HC's to be fired and GM's to be fired. Meanwhile the teams they actually root for are pulled down because of the massive turnover.

KYPack
06-08-2009, 12:14 PM
What about Bengals head coach, Marvin Lewis? That welcome has to be about worn out.

Mike Brown, the Bengals brainy owner, is very reluctant to fire coaches. He prefers not to renew the contracts. Lewis has time left on his, and will probably serve it out as Bengal coach.

Two other "warm seat" guys are the Raiders Tom Cable and Texans Gary Kubiak. The Texans have a nice young ballclub. Somehow, Kubiak has had a hall pass due to the Texans being such a young team. Now with many observers picking the Texans to be this year's Cardinals, there is more pressure on Kubiak.

Cable improved the Raiders slightly and Crazy Al was happy to get rid of Lane kiffin. If the Black and Silver falters, look for Davis to reclaim his "wackiest owner in the West" crown and can Cable.

]{ilr]3
06-08-2009, 01:19 PM

I dont know how that guy keeps his job.

pbmax
06-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I think, for McCarthy to be fired, something beyond 6-10 with lots of defensive injuries would need to happen. He has a first year D coordinator and a 3-4 transition on one side of the ball and new punters and new ST coach on another unit. No head coach has ever been fired for ST play. Not that I can recall.

Now if his offense or QB tanks (QBs and his formations are his calling card), then I can see 6-10 or worse causing problems. Anything above 6-10 can be called an improvement in a likely improved division. You don't need Ari Fleischer to spin that.