PDA

View Full Version : Vikes give Favre deadline

gobias
06-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Chilly is giving Favre until the end of the week to decide if he is going to play for the Vikes or not. We all know how Favre responds to people telling him when to make up his mind.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4240888

Pacopete4
06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
From the reports, if they are true, it sounds like Favre really does wanna play but is just unsure if the arm is going to be healthy enough to actually do it.. Man I hope that shoulder gets healthy asap..

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2009, 12:24 PM
A strange sort of deadline. So what if on Friday Favre says, "OK, I'm playing." Doesn't mean crap, all that matters is how he feels in August. What is accomplished by him "committing" this week? Is he going to re-retire in August if the arm hasn't come around?

Pacopete4
06-08-2009, 12:33 PM
A strange sort of deadline. So what if on Friday Favre says, "OK, I'm playing." Doesn't mean crap, all that matters is how he feels in August. What is accomplished by him "committing" this week? Is he going to re-retire in August if the arm hasn't come around?

Tim Hasselbeck was just on ESPN saying this deadline makes no sense because after the 4 days of OTA's the Vikings have this week, they have nothing planned for like another 15 days or something.

Scott Campbell
06-08-2009, 12:34 PM
What is accomplished by him "committing" this week?

He stays in the news?

SMACKTALKIE
06-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Why would a deadline be set when nobody will know if his arm is working for at least a few weeks?

This too has been reported before.

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Maybe the Vikings want him to start learning the play book?

Or perhaps the Vikings think it would be less disruptive to have Favre re-retire in August than it would be to go through 8 weeks of Favre speculation. I can see that point of view.

It obviously wasn't the Vikings' choice to wait until this late date for Favre to have the surgery. I can see the Vikings preferring to move-on if Favre won't make up his mind now.

Man, those Vikings are acting almost as mean as Ted Thompson. :P

Joemailman
06-08-2009, 12:58 PM
They need to know if Favre is going to play so they can start negotiation with Josh David Booty about him giving up jersey #4.

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Minnesota+Vikings+v+Dallas+Cowboys+HVj00xgPZZCl.jp g

cpk1994
06-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Or perhaps the Vikings think it would be less disruptive to have Favre re-retire in August than it would be to go through 8 weeks of Favre speculation. I can see that point of view.

It obviously wasn't the Vikings' choice to wait until this late date for Favre to have the surgery. I can see the Vikings preferring to move-on if Favre won't make up his mind now.

Man, those Vikings are acting almost as mean as Ted Thompson. :PYeah, how dare they act like Ted Thomspon. That is disrespecting the man! FAvre should be allowed to wail until the season opener to make up his mind. He's a HOF'r. He doesn't deserve this treatment. Shame on Vikings. :lol:

Pack-man
06-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Man, those Vikings are acting almost as mean as Ted Thompson. :PYeah, how dare they act like Ted Thomspon. That is disrespecting the man! FAvre should be allowed to wail until the season opener to make up his mind. He's a HOF'r. He doesn't deserve this treatment. Shame on Vikings. :lol:
Absolutely right! He is Brett Favre and he has EARNED the right to make up his mind on his time!

- rolls eye in disgust -

Patler
06-08-2009, 02:07 PM
I don't think the deadline is strange. The Vikings are simply telling him that they will not allow this to be a distraction for the next 2 months.
If he is unable to commit now, for whatever reason, its a dead issue.
If he is unsure of his arm, its a dead issue.
If he is unsure of his desire, its a dead issue.

Could they do it later? Sure, but the Vikings are expressing their desire to get it done with now.

Teams are in the process of setting their training camp rosters, which for some reason they all complain about now days. They have rookies to negotiate with and sign. If Favre wants to play, they have to negotiate with him, too; and his contract will not be a small one. The Vikings simply want to get the train moving if it is going anywhere.

MadScientist
06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't think the deadline is strange. The Vikings are simply telling him that they will not allow this to be a distraction for the next 2 months.

How can he be sure of his arm 2 weeks after a surgery that takes 4-6 weeks to heal? He can be sure of his desire to play, but after last season's collapse he needs more time to have confidence in his arm.

Here's to Favre finding a way to continue to be a distraction for the Vikings for the next two months With a bit of luck the locker room can be nicely divided into 3 camps before Favre even steps foot in it. :D

Scott Campbell
06-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Better them than us.

sheepshead
06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Chilly is playing hard ball with Brett where TT never did.

BallHawk
06-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Man I hope that shoulder gets healthy asap..

So do I. I want to get the satisfaction of our players, specifically a Mr. Raji and a Mr. Matthews, destroying that shoulder to a pulp, and then our others players, specifically a Mr. Woodson and a Mr. Collins, taking advantage of said shoulder.

So, Mr. Favre, best wishes and get well soon.

Bossman641
06-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Here's to Favre finding a way to continue to be a distraction for the Vikings for the next two months With a bit of luck the locker room can be nicely divided into 3 camps before Favre even steps foot in it. :D

I'll drink to that.

I'm hoping Favre refuses to give an answer this week, retreats to his house and has his relatives talk trash about Chilly, appears on a cable news program as the announcer lobs softballs to him, and then invites AD over to his house to talk things over. It will all culminate with Favre showing up at training camp saying he just wants to play.

Cheesehead Craig
06-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Better them than us.
+4

packrat
06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Playbook? He don't need no stinking playbook -- just throw long and hope for the best.

falco
06-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Playbook? He don't need no stinking playbook -- just throw long and hope for the best.

ahh, i miss the good old days when he'd only throw it up for grabs in the playoffs.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Look, all he needs to know is like 5-10 plays. Partial detailed this before.

Have you guys learned nothing.

GrnBay007
06-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Wonder if it would work to have 1 Favre thread here where people can follow the story without all the insults, potshots, wishing injury, etc. :?:

Then the 5-10 people that like to insult and bash him can have the other 3-4 Favre threads for that purpose.

Think that would work?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Wonder if it would work to have 1 Favre thread here where people can follow the story without all the insults, potshots, wishing injury, etc. :?:

Then the 5-10 people that like to insult and bash him can have the other 3-4 Favre threads for that purpose.

Think that would work?

I agree. Brett is above ridicule, insults, potshots, etc.

They can only be used towards other team's players and current packers that we feel aren't doing the job.

Clearly Brett doesn't fall into either of those two categories.

I would also like to stop all the sniping at T.O. Ocho Cinco, the Bears, the Vikings, players with 9 kids from 6 different mommas, any and all players involved in contract disputes, all owners as they are great, the media,..and anyone else that i forgot.

pbmax
06-08-2009, 06:58 PM

Think that would work?
No it wouldn't because messages such as the one above would make no sense in a one sided thread. There would be little to say amongst those who agree that the other side is clearly off their rocker. The thread would sink and inevitably, one side would move to the other's thread and post another message containing nothing but a complaint.

To avoid my post falling into this category, let me make the following observation:

Brett Favre's approved ESPN spokesman Ed Mortender, today filed a story about how the Minnesota Vikings had given Brett a deadline of Friday to decide what to do. This deadline makes NO objective sense, and it certainly makes no sense for the Vikings to proclaim it if their goal is to land Favre.

Lo and behold, Chilly's spokespuppet Pat Kirwan today told his radio audience that there is absolutely NO deadline whatsoever, and Favre can come in anytime up to training camp. (per PFT)

You may remember this sequence of odd public statements from years past. In fact, it happened at least three times with the Packers, once with Sherman (who, faced with the leak of a tentative "we'd like to know" date, caved in so completely that the NEXT season, Mike proclaimed the no deadline timetable BEFORE the players had left town). The other times were with Thompson. One year, Favre finagled a visit from the coach and GM, the second year it was left to the coach (I think this was the year of the longest wait). We all know what happened in year 3.

Its my belief, that you are witnessing one of the world's best public relation manipulators in action. Despite being 39 (and 40 during the season), Favre now has public permission to skip all off-season activities and training. He is free to condition or not condition himself as he sees fit. And in the greatest coup of all, if he shows up two days early, or comes in to do meeting work for 2 days of OTAs, the coverage will make it seem like he is a hero.

ND72 or Nutz or KYPack can confirm for you that high-level coaches, even in this day and age like to be in control. In fact, most are control freaks. Trying to work with them (especially if you are fighting for an interest against their wishes) can be an ugly scene. This QB has completely turned the equation around, which finally answers my question from a decade ago: Why did Dan Marino's career end so bitterly with the Dolphins?

The answer is that he wanted to play in the games. But on his terms, and on his schedule. You cannot train properly for the NFL with that priority list.

RashanGary
06-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I agree. Brett is above ridicule, insults, potshots, etc.

They can only be used towards other team's players and current packers that we feel aren't doing the job.

Clearly Brett doesn't fall into either of those two categories.

I would also like to stop all the sniping at T.O. Ocho Cinco, the Bears, the Vikings, players with 9 kids from 6 different mommas, any and all players involved in contract disputes, all owners as they are great, the media,..and anyone else that i forgot.

Great post.

gbgary
06-08-2009, 07:52 PM
funny stuff.

i hate the off-season.

Deputy Nutz
06-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Think that would work?
No it wouldn't because messages such as the one above would make no sense in a one sided thread. There would be little to say amongst those who agree that the other side is clearly off their rocker. The thread would sink and inevitably, one side would move to the other's thread and post another message containing nothing but a complaint.

To avoid my post falling into this category, let me make the following observation:

Brett Favre's approved ESPN spokesman Ed Mortender, today filed a story about how the Minnesota Vikings had given Brett a deadline of Friday to decide what to do. This deadline makes NO objective sense, and it certainly makes no sense for the Vikings to proclaim it if their goal is to land Favre.

Lo and behold, Chilly's spokespuppet Pat Kirwan today told his radio audience that there is absolutely NO deadline whatsoever, and Favre can come in anytime up to training camp. (per PFT)

You may remember this sequence of odd public statements from years past. In fact, it happened at least three times with the Packers, once with Sherman (who, faced with the leak of a tentative "we'd like to know" date, caved in so completely that the NEXT season, Mike proclaimed the no deadline timetable BEFORE the players had left town). The other times were with Thompson. One year, Favre finagled a visit from the coach and GM, the second year it was left to the coach (I think this was the year of the longest wait). We all know what happened in year 3.

Its my belief, that you are witnessing one of the world's best public relation manipulators in action. Despite being 39 (and 40 during the season), Favre now has public permission to skip all off-season activities and training. He is free to condition or not condition himself as he sees fit. And in the greatest coup of all, if he shows up two days early, or comes in to do meeting work for 2 days of OTAs, the coverage will make it seem like he is a hero.

ND72 or Nutz or KYPack can confirm for you that high-level coaches, even in this day and age like to be in control. In fact, most are control freaks. Trying to work with them (especially if you are fighting for an interest against their wishes) can be an ugly scene. This QB has completely turned the equation around, which finally answers my question from a decade ago: Why did Dan Marino's career end so bitterly with the Dolphins?

The answer is that he wanted to play in the games. But on his terms, and on his schedule. You cannot train properly for the NFL with that priority list.

Thats about right. Claim whatever you want about the offseason conditioning and programs that Favre "refused" to do, because I never once heard McCarthy or Thompson speak ill of Favre in these terms. I may not be correct or just never heard them going after Favre for this, but the bottom line is that Favre got into issues with Packer management, and regardless of who you are as a player that is never a good thing. Guys like Thompson and every other successful GM are total control freaks and don't much like it when they start getting opinions from those they wish no opinion from. GM's don't wish to hear opinions from players, assistant coaches, and even head coaches in some cases, unless they are specifically asked.

I knew when I was coaching football and now with wrestling as an assistant coach that when I just offered up my opinion it was usually ill received. I am an opinionated son of a bitch, but I try to do my best to only give opinions when asked specifically for them. It is a respect system amongst coaches.

GrnBay007
06-08-2009, 09:20 PM
pbmax,
I wasn't trying to start something with my thoughts/request. Whether you believe it or not there are still some people interested in following the Favre story. Heck, the Green Bay Gazette has posted a lot of information. When I say following the story, I mean exactly that. The Vikings are apparently interested and he seems interested in playing for the Vikings. Why can't this be followed and discussed at a mature level without all the immaturity, bashing and wishing injury upon him? There are a few Viking fans on the board that have been excellent contributors to PackerRats for years.

Why do people find it so hard to believe that some enjoy following a specific player's career? It's really pretty creepy to read what some write here about Favre. And no, I didn't think it was out of line or above the level of maturity of this forum to allow 1 single thread to follow information, updates on Favre without all the childish comments and bashing.

It's sad, IMO

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 09:29 PM
pbmax,
I wasn't trying to start something with my thoughts/request. Whether you believe it or not there are still some people interested in following the Favre story. Heck, the Green Bay Gazette has posted a lot of information. When I say following the story, I mean exactly that. The Vikings are apparently interested and he seems interested in playing for the Vikings. Why can't this be followed and discussed at a mature level without all the immaturity, bashing and wishing injury upon him? There are a few Viking fans on the board that have been excellent contributors to PackerRats for years.

Why do people find it so hard to believe that some enjoy following a specific player's career? It's really pretty creepy to read what some write here about Favre. And no, I didn't think it was out of line or above the level of maturity of this forum to allow 1 single thread to follow information, updates on Favre without all the childish comments and bashing.

It's sad, IMO

What is sad is your attitude...not all the time, but some of it.

I think you need to figure out what medium you are in. If you want to follow a story, you read newspapers, magazines, etc..or you watch news outlets.

This is a forum for the packers. One doesn't follow stories on forums. One gets commentary. And, if there is information on a non packer you should be happy....this is packerrats.com....mr. favre is no longer a packer.

Mr. Favre is treated with the same love and devotion given to other packers who left the team. I happen to have liked longwell and sharper.....should i constantly tell others how sad it is that i can't follow their careers on this board without the churlish and childish comments about them?

Or, is there a certain threshold that needs to be reached before ex-players can't be commented on....if so, please define it...or is it just brett than can't be commented on.

I happen to follow players...should i complain about the harsh treatment of OchoCinco, T.O., or players of other teams? :oops:

GrnBay007
06-08-2009, 09:52 PM

To bad! At least I'm not afraid to post what I think/feel.

....mr. favre is no longer a packer.

Then why do some "hater" Packer fans get a hard on everyday talking about him??

I happen to have liked longwell and sharper.....should i constantly tell others how sad it is that i can't follow their careers on this board without the churlish and childish comments about them?

Go for it! Doesn't bother me a bit.

Or, is there a certain threshold that needs to be reached before ex-players can't be commented on....if so, please define it...or is it just brett than can't be commented on.

In my original post I stated there are at least 3-4 hate threads out there....is that not enough?

I happen to follow players...should i complain about the harsh treatment of OchoCinco, T.O., or players of other teams? :oops:

Fine by me.

Scott Campbell
06-08-2009, 10:07 PM
pbmax,

It's sad, IMO

Unfortunately it takes a thick skin to be a Favre supporter these days. I hope you don't take anything I've said personally.

Brando19
06-08-2009, 10:16 PM
pbmax,

It's sad, IMO

Unfortunately it takes a thick skin to be a Favre supporter these days. I hope you don't take anything I've said personally.

And if Favre does become a Viking...his legacy will forever be ruined for millions. His Steakhouse in Green Bay may even come down. Which is sad because Favre is and forever will be a Packer...but why the hell is he stooping to this? Think of the fans for once in your life, Brett.

GrnBay007
06-08-2009, 10:18 PM

You know, that's ok. I've never been a person to let others influence me when I believe in something or support someone. I've never changed my views to go along with the crowd because it's the "in" thing. I personally believe hatred is a sign of weakness and that of someone that is frightened.

I've had no problem with sane, intelligent conversations on this board discussing the good and bad concerning Favre. But then throw in the hate...the wishing injury, etc. that's just lame, weak, hateful people, IMO

KYPack
06-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Hey!

Leave 007 alone.

She was trying to bring a little reason and order to this oft-times goofy ass forum.

Scott Campbell
06-08-2009, 10:24 PM

You know, that's ok. I've never been a person to let others influence me when I believe in something or support someone. I've never changed my views to go along with the crowd because it's the "in" thing. I personally believe hatred is a sign of weakness and that of someone that is frightened.

I've had no problem with sane, intelligent conversations on this board discussing the good and bad concerning Favre. But then throw in the hate...the wishing injury, etc. that's just lame, weak, hateful people, IMO

I'm not sure I'd go that far about either side. People are mostly just ornery and pissed off about it. A lot of this is venting.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 10:29 PM

To bad! At least I'm not afraid to post what I think/feel.

....mr. favre is no longer a packer.

Then why do some "hater" Packer fans get a hard on everyday talking about him??

I happen to have liked longwell and sharper.....should i constantly tell others how sad it is that i can't follow their careers on this board without the churlish and childish comments about them?

Go for it! Doesn't bother me a bit.

In my original post I stated there are at least 3-4 hate threads out there....is that not enough?

Fine by me.

1. You are welcome to post your opinion..and let everyone know how sad you are...and basically let us know that you feel you are better. That is your right. Just like it is our right to post our feelings.

2. I'm not surprised you dropped the "following the story" angle. You really have no point. This is a discussion/forum.

3. "haters"..do you not realize you contribute to the problems by calling someone that. By doing so, you are justifying your actions or someone elses..not to mention marginalizing their thoughts.

But, to answer your question..the same reason that if you mention sharper..you'll get: missed tackles, free lanced, dont' miss him, big mouth, etc.

That is the nature of most fans, be they packers or bears. But, i'm sure you are different...you probably speak glowingly of all your ex-friends and husbands/boyfriends. :lol:

4. I could. I could be just like you. What is the point? You've expressed your opinion to the point where everyone knows it..and some posters can practically post for you in absentia. Not saying they are right for doing so, but pretty much expected when you call people "haters."

5. hate threads. By calling them that, you are trolling. If i post in one of those am i a hater? For many years i was labeled an apologist on the jsonline site. Now, that i've changed my mind...now i'm a hater? :roll:

6. Other players. It is fine by you...great. Unfortunately you miss the point. Brett isn't being singled out....posters here rip on many players..and with far more "hate" and with very few that back them up...a show of hands for the T.O. lovers...puhlease.

What is even more telling is that you don't chide them. If you want justice for your guy, then you can only expect it if you give justice to all.

GrnBay007
06-08-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure I'd go that far about either side. People are mostly just ornery and pissed off about it. A lot of this is venting.

That's the part I don't understand Scott. If people are happy he's gone, happy not to go through the "will he play, won't he play" stuff, then why are they pissed of if he plays for another team? Those people believe he's no good anymore at QB so why be pissed he's playing for another team? Maybe the pissed off part has a bit to do with some fear that he might just have "it" left in the old tank ......and maybe deep down some wish he would have played for the Packers ONE more year. But admitting that would be doubting TT and company......and we know that's forbidden here.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 10:34 PM
pbmax,

It's sad, IMO

And if Favre does become a Viking...his legacy will forever be ruined for millions. His Steakhouse in Green Bay may even come down. Which is sad because Favre is and forever will be a Packer...but why the hell is he stooping to this? Think of the fans for once in your life, Brett.

Brando has essentially nailed it.

Brett's national/worldwide legacy will not be harmed no matter where he plays. People don't care where O.J., Joe willie, emmitt ended their careers. The same will be true of Brett.

However, the special relationship that Brett had with Green Bay and the state of wisconsin will be damaged beyond repair. Brett will still be loved, he still will be cheered at functions, etc...but, that special, unique bond forged will be over.

Brett is telling us that our relationship is not that special, that isn't worth much to him..or that he feels he can get by.

Brett is like a husband or wife that cheats. Yes, you can get past it, yes you can stay married, yes you can still love that person...but, ultimately, the love and relationship you have after the affair is never the same.

Cheesehead Craig
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Brett is like a husband or wife that cheats. Yes, you can get past it, yes you can stay married, yes you can still love that person...but, ultimately, the love and relationship you have after the affair is never the same.
Oh Ty, I'll always take you back even after all your weeks away on those drug "binges". I love you man! :lol:

Bossman641
06-08-2009, 10:37 PM

That's the part I don't understand Scott. If people are happy he's gone, happy not to go through the "will he play, won't he play" stuff, then why are they pissed of if he plays for another team? Those people believe he's no good anymore at QB so why be pissed he's playing for another team? Maybe the pissed off part has a bit to do with some fear that he might just have "it" left in the old tank ......and maybe deep down some wish he would have played for the Packers ONE more year. But admitting that would be doubting TT and company......and we know that's forbidden here.

Because he's acting like a douche. If TO, Randy Moss, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, etc. acted this way I'd say the same thing.

Navigating his release from 2 teams, the lies, the behavior from him those around him, the leaks through the media, and on and on. It's bullshit. Nothing personal. He's just being an ass. Nothing more, nothing less. If that makes me a hater so be it.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 10:38 PM

Some of us are pissed that he put us thru the will he won't he for years and then retired..and somehow blames the pack.

We put up with it, we put up with his lack of dedication, etc.

We didnt' want him to retire, but if he did..then stay retired. Nobody forced him to make the decision.

Finally, none of us are upset because Favre may still have it. He clearly doesn't.

But, nice try at trolling on TT and company.

GrnBay007
06-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Brett is telling us that our relationship is not that special, that isn't worth much to him..or that he feels he can get by.

Sorry. But another way to look at it.....

was TT and company that told "us" that Brett's relationship with the packers was not that special.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Oh Ty, I'll always take you back even after all your weeks away on those drug "binges". I love you man! :lol:

I know you would.

But, i dont' think you could stand to be second fiddle to Soup!!!!!!!!!

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 10:40 PM

was TT and company that told "us" that Brett's relationship with the packers was not that special.

How so? By offering him 20 million.

TT didn't force him to retire.

P.S. TT and the packers have nothing to do with how the fans and brett get along. Nice try. Brett and the Pack are like the parents and we are the children.

Divorce doesn't mean i have to hate my mom or my dad. But, if one or the other acts like a douche....then you can hate them...while still loving them.

Partial
I think some of you are out of touch with how NFL veterans and HOFers are treated. Mike Strahan and Jonathan Ogden were both leaders of the defense and offense respectively, and both have waited until TC or just before to make their decision whether they were going to retire or return.

I guess I just don't see how it matters that much, personally. If they don't have a suitable back-up in place and were looking to draft/sign a guy to play there in the event the guy is gone... they should probably draft/sign the guy for insurance anyway.

Having a bonafide starter who understands the system skip OTAs isn't a horrible thing imo. It gives the young guys a chance to get their feet wet and get a better student/teacher ratio for a few days and get more reps.

If there is a new system in place, then yes, said veteran should be in OTAs. When you're doing the same system over and over and over again, I really don't have a huge problem with them skipping. It almost seems like Favre was held to a standard higher than all the other veterans in the NFL.

GrnBay007

"trolling"........funny!!!

Cheesehead Craig
06-08-2009, 10:43 PM

I know you would.

Damn that Soup! Damn him all to hell!!!

Scott Campbell
06-08-2009, 10:43 PM

Well I'd give you my rebuttal, but I'm guessing you've got it memorized by now anyway.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 10:45 PM

"trolling"........funny!!!

About as funny as you suggesting that arguments against Brett are because we are defending TT and the pack.

BTW, you do know that it is the packers....not the green bay favres.

The Shadow

Choosing to not put in the time required to work and study with the team,and holding your team's plans hostage every year with the retirement drama means, deservedly, that you lose a bit of your 'specialness'.

Tyrone Bigguns

I know you would.

Damn that Soup! Damn him all to hell!!!

I just can't quit him!!

GrnBay007
06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Choosing to not put in the time required to work and study with the team,and holding your team's plans hostage every year with the retirement drama means, deservedly, that you lose a bit of your 'specialness'.

OK, I respect your thoughts and feelings on the subject. ...your thoughts, not facts, btw.

Now, just wondering what benefit you get from the potshots directed toward BF?

Joemailman
06-08-2009, 10:53 PM

Doubting TT is forbidden here? That will surely come as news to some people. Look, the people who make the worst comments about Favre are antagonizing and looking for a reaction. I don't understand why you keep giving it to them. If you want the sharks to go away, stop feeding them.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 10:54 PM

See, i disagree...or at least in the context of legacy and special bond with the fans. Just as we forget the early partying days, so would we forget these days.

What wont' be forgotten/forgiven...is playing against the pack. Especially since he is a QB..the leader of the offense..not just some random offensive or defensive player.

GrnBay007
06-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Doubting TT is forbidden here? That will surely come as news to some people.

Well, it's not forbidden maybe but if you doubt him you get jumped. I think you know that. Maybe not by all, but many. And I don't even care about TT. He's part of the Packer organization and I hope he does well.

Look, the people who make the worst comments about Favre are antagonizing and looking for a reaction. I don't understand why you keep giving it to them. If you want the sharks to go away, stop feeding them.

That's why I suggested having just one simple little thread that could be free from the sharks. Not that big of a deal really. And after tonight, I understand that they can't help themselves and actually feel kinda sorry for them.

Joemailman
06-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I think Favre can possibly be forgiven if he plays against the Pack. It depends on his reasons. If he says he's doing it because he wants another shot at a Super Bowl, many will understand. If he mentions again about wanting to play so he can stick it to Ted Thompson, that's much more problematic.

Chevelle2
06-08-2009, 11:02 PM

OK, I respect your thoughts and feelings on the subject. ...your thoughts, not facts, btw.

Potshots, or facts?

The Shadow
06-08-2009, 11:04 PM

Sorry, I really don't see them as 'potshots'. Been a Packer fan for a long, long time. I read the posts that hold Brett up as something larger than life and like to put in my own two cents. Favre was a very good player; gave me many of the same thrills he has given to all Pack fans.
That part is all good.
On the other hand, I am also disappointed in him for 2 reasons :
1. He refused to evolve into the player all that talent ahould have made the best of all time. In my opinion, he will go out basically the way he came in - a very tough, rocket-armed, competive qb - but having never outgrown a rookie's understanding of the game. I think it's a shame that he did not bring more championships to Green Bay.
2. The selfish behavior of the last few years, from the reluctance to be upfront with the team, to the unwarranted speaking out regarding other Packers' contract situations, and the churlish attitude towards the drafting of Aaron Rodgers.

So : when I read the gushing posts that elevate him to some mythical status - and after having lived through the Glory Years and seen a bit of the mythical- I am compelled to try to bring things back into a bit more balanced perspective.

I realize that we are all entitled to our opinions; I certainly respect yours, and hope that you can respect mine.

Chevelle2
06-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Why is ESPN still reporting this deadline thing? How can they make stuff up like they do?

GrnBay007
06-08-2009, 11:12 PM
So : when I read the gushing posts that elevate him to some mythical status - and after having lived through the Glory Years and seen a bit of the mythical- I am compelled to try to bring things back into a bit more balanced perspective.

I realize that we are all entitled to our opinions; I certainly respect yours, and hope that you can respect mine.

I already said I respect your thoughts and feelings on the subject....although I don't agree.

This whole discussion did not start due to some "gushing" posts. It started when I simply asked for 1 thread where the story could be followed without all the potshots and wishing injury, etc.

LOL it's comical that that one simple thing can't happen on this forum. So I know some here dislike when the term "haters" is used, but really, is there any other way to describe it?

pbmax
06-08-2009, 11:58 PM
pbmax,

It's sad, IMO
I find nothing to object to in this post. I have never thought of the Packer Room at Packer Rats to be exclusive of other players, teams or retired coaches/players. Favre coverage, in and of itself, is not a problem at all.

The only thing I object to are posts from either side of this issue that are all heat and no light. When I see a post that contains a dig at "lovers", I know we are going to get two more from "lovers" complaining about "haters". And yes, some of that content gets weird, creepy and plain dumb. And it will last at least a half page, then the worst, most blunt offenders will take their shots and everyone starts blaming each other for the mess.

If people have a post on Favre or any other player, make it, state your case, defend it, refuse to mention other posters and refuse to speak for them. I will defend anyone's right to make such a post, not just those I agree with.

pbmax
06-09-2009, 12:10 AM
I think some of you are out of touch with how NFL veterans and HOFers are treated. Mike Strahan and Jonathan Ogden were both leaders of the defense and offense respectively, and both have waited until TC or just before to make their decision whether they were going to retire or return.
Strahan was angling for a contract adjustment, and he was younger than Favre. Plus a DE in a 4-3 is not the same nexus of timing and information that a QB is. If he had the same history of fading late in the season (and hiring a personal trainer every third offseason), then I would be on him too. But a DE is never as integral to a team as a QB.

Ken Ruettgers used to do this too to protect his knee. But a LT in the same offense has only two guys he needs to communicate with; the Guard and the TE. But its a losing proposition long term. Ken couldn't complete a comeback during the Super Bowl season, no matter how long he protected and healed the knee.

I am unaware of Ogden's long holdout, you'll have to give me the year to do some reading.

MadScientist
06-09-2009, 12:34 AM
This whole discussion did not start due to some "gushing" posts. It started when I simply asked for 1 thread where the story could be followed without all the potshots and wishing injury, etc.

I agree there is no need to wish for injuries, and it would be nice to see a thread that doesn't devolve to personal attacks on other posters. However Brett is going to the Vikings, and anything that makes the Vikings better is bad for the Packers. So we are left to root for Brett having a season like the last few games last year, and / or all the unsettled QB issues dragging them down.

th87
06-09-2009, 04:05 AM
This is how it looks for me:

Guy's beloved girlfriend breaks up with him.

Guy moves on with new girlfriend.

Ex-girlfriend changes her mind, and wants to get back together. Guy, happy with his new girlfriend, says no.

Ex-girlfriend goes and tells everyone who would listen about how guy pushed her away and forced her to break up with him.

Ex-girlfriend now trying to hook up with guy's worst enemy out of spite.
___

Sorry, but I have very little (read: none) sympathy for the ex-girlfriend. She should have known that the guy was good with the ladies and wouldn't have a problem moving on.

Bossman641
06-09-2009, 05:08 AM

I already said I respect your thoughts and feelings on the subject....although I don't agree.

LOL it's comical that that one simple thing can't happen on this forum. So I know some here dislike when the term "haters" is used, but really, is there any other way to describe it?

Why?

I think it's strange that you think you're entitled to a thread where you all can sit and gush over Favre. Like TB said, this is a forum where of course you are going to get many reactions. There's no way everyone here will agree to that. If you want to only read pro-Favre material go to ESPN. :D

Please stop lumping everyone together when it comes to potshots and injury. There was one person who said he hoped Favre would get hurt, and not a single person agreed with him or defended what he said.

packrulz
06-09-2009, 05:54 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090608/PKR01/90608160/1058

Fritz
06-09-2009, 07:18 AM
So the family has booked rooms in Green Bay for the weekend. Wow.

I think we have a gang war starting here. The Gushers and the Haters.

Don't be wearing your colors to school, people. You'll get kicked out.

Harlan Huckleby
06-09-2009, 08:32 AM

I think this is an idea with real possibilities.

In addition to colors, we'll also need to invent some gang signs for members to make contact with each other.

For the Haters, I would suggest a quick, abbreviated passing motion, just a little flick of the wrist aimed in an upward arc. This is to mock Favre's classic late-game balls put up for grabs.

The Gushers, now that's more challenging. I don't think they would be agreeable to a rubbing of the nose tip. How about just a brief, wide-eyed blank stare, such as Ted Thompson routinely gives as an initial reaction to any press conference question. Needs work.

GrnBay007
06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
There's no way everyone here will agree to that. If you want to only read pro-Favre material go to ESPN.

No problem.
Enjoy yourselves.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-09-2009, 05:19 PM
There's no way everyone here will agree to that. If you want to only read pro-Favre material go to ESPN.

No problem.
Enjoy yourselves.

We will. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

MOBB DEEP
06-09-2009, 07:20 PM

No problem.
Enjoy yourselves.

DONT LEAVE DOUBLE O; WWJD?

what would jackie mcmullen do?

pbmax
06-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I think it's strange that you think you're entitled to a thread where you all can sit and gush over Favre. Like TB said, this is a forum where of course you are going to get many reactions. There's no way everyone here will agree to that. If you want to only read pro-Favre material go to ESPN. :D
So, unless a thread can contain a message wishing harm on a player, its gushing and unacceptable? Have I read this post correctly?

Fritz
06-10-2009, 11:20 AM

I think this is an idea with real possibilities.

In addition to colors, we'll also need to invent some gang signs for members to make contact with each other.

For the Haters, I would suggest a quick, abbreviated passing motion, just a little flick of the wrist aimed in an upward arc. This is to mock Favre's classic late-game balls put up for grabs.

The Gushers, now that's more challenging. I don't think they would be agreeable to a rubbing of the nose tip. How about just a brief, wide-eyed blank stare, such as Ted Thompson routinely gives as an initial reaction to any press conference question. Needs work.

There are some marketing possibilities here, dog. To really capture Ted's kinda spooky blank stare, you might be able to develop some contact lenses that get at that look. Kinda like the way you can buy contacts to make your eyes look red, or look like a cat's.

Good stuff.