PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy ranked 16th

K-town
06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/47211732.html

A few complimentary things about McCarhy. My WTF moment is how Chilly gets rank 11th. Based on what, number of playoff wins? The maximizing of Adrian Peterson's effectiveness? The continued development of Sagevaris Jackenfels?

Partial
06-08-2009, 03:31 PM
MM is a way better coach than that imo. Though last year his level of preparedness seems to take a step back. He's still gotta be top 10, imo, though. Really like him as the Packers coach.

sheepshead
06-08-2009, 03:35 PM
MM is a way better coach than that imo. Though last year his level of preparedness seems to take a step back. He's still gotta be top 10, imo, though. Really like him as the Packers coach.

So you think MM is better at his job, then TT is at his?

Partial
06-08-2009, 03:36 PM

So you think MM is better at his job, then TT is at his?

I think they're both very good at their jobs.

sheepshead
06-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Since when?

Partial
06-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Since when?

Since always? What are you implying here?

Oscar
06-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Since when?

Partial gave his opinion. Why try an start shit?? DO you have an opinion on the matter or is your only priority to start an argument??

sheepshead
06-08-2009, 03:58 PM
.sheepshead wrote:
Since when?

Partial gave his opinion. Why try an start shit?? DO you have an opinion on the matter or is your only priority to start an argument??

who in the fuck asked you?

sheepshead
06-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Since when?

LOL--so you've never ripped TT a new one on here, blaming him for not making the payoffs etc etc?

Cheesehead Craig
06-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I agree on the Chilly ranking BS. His offense has been very much criticized and his "Vanilla-ness" is legendary. He's getting far too much credit for simply having AD on his team.

Oscar
06-08-2009, 05:08 PM
.sheepshead wrote:
Since when?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thought it was a public forum... :lol: :lol:

RashanGary
06-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Since when?

I agree with sheepshead. My impression was that TT was average in your eyes and a complete idiot for getting rid of Favre.

sheepshead
06-08-2009, 05:17 PM
.sheepshead wrote:
Since when?

NO FUCKING SHIT DICKHEAD. SO SOMEHOW I CANT QUESTION A GUYS OPINION? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU FROM?

RashanGary
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Why the hell is everyone dropping F-bombs all of a sudden?

falco
06-08-2009, 05:53 PM
way out of line sheepshead

Joemailman
06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
This is an important year for McCarthy. I thought he had an off year last year. There were times where he seemed to get conservative in the 4th quarter and took the ball out of Arod's hands. He seemed to coach as if the defense was the strength of the team, which it clearly was not, especially after losing Jenkins and Barnett. I also thought he was rather stubborn about how he distributed carries among the running backs, continuing to give Grant the bulk of the carries even when he was ineffective.

With won/loss records of 8-8, 13-3 and 6-10, it's hard to get a handle on how effective he is. This season should tell us a lot.

pbmax
06-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't think the 16th best coach by reputation lands Capers to coordinate the D. Nor does he get Trgovac or Perry.

This list, at first glance, seems to be the teams record over the last two, three or four years. And how can you be the worst coaches (Morris and McDaniels) when you have never been the head coach?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 06:17 PM
.sheepshead wrote:
Since when?

NO FUCKING SHIT DICKHEAD. SO SOMEHOW I CANT QUESTION A GUYS OPINION? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU FROM?

"When you get personal you know you have won." said Sheepshead numerous times. :oops:

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't think the 16th best coach by reputation lands Capers to coordinate the D. Nor does he get Trgovac or Perry.

This list, at first glance, seems to be the teams record over the last two, three or four years. And how can you be the worst coaches (Morris and McDaniels) when you have never been the head coach?

Those who have experience, even poor record wise, have more wins than those 2. Therefore they are the worst.

Oscar
06-08-2009, 06:21 PM
.sheepshead wrote:
Since when?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Still a public forum.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

sheepshead
06-08-2009, 06:24 PM

How so? I really do have a point here. Jeffro doesnt seem to think these forums are meant to challenge another's opinion. He injected himself into the conversation and he started with the foul language. If I ever get an answer from partial(i'm not holding my breath) I 'll make my point.

Oscar
06-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I thought P said he thought M.M. T.T. were both good at there jobs..

Oscar
06-08-2009, 06:29 PM
No mood to argue... Night all.. :lol:

sheepshead
06-08-2009, 06:30 PM
If he answers me, ill make my point-again, im not sure what you acting as a cop accomplishes. It's actually YOU that started the "shit" as you put it.

Oscar
06-08-2009, 06:33 PM
If he answers me, ill make my point-again, im not sure what you acting as a cop accomplishes. It's actually YOU that started the "shit" as you put it.

Sorry lil buddy. I'll be a lil more careful with my foul language.. Night all...

Bretsky
06-08-2009, 07:04 PM

:bclap:

Partial
06-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Since when?

I agree with sheepshead. My impression was that TT was average in your eyes and a complete idiot for getting rid of Favre.

One move doesn't make a GM. I don't like the move. It worked out ok. It was bound to happen eventually, via Brett leaving or whatever. For what its worth, I don't think they're treating Tauscher much better this year. At least offer the guy a camp contract and let him use Packer facilities to rehab and to be with his teammates. He's a leader and a veteran, and according to LeRoy Butler and Gary Ellerson he's the offensive linemen vocal leader.

My opinion of TT is that if he doesn't improve his drafting (prior to this year), he needs to address some positions via FA. I really like this years draft outside of Raji. Would have preferred Crabtree as I believe he was BPA, but I'm still hopeful that Raji becomes a hoss.

I'm not super hot or super cold on him, and I think his team has a long way to go from being great, but he has shown that he understands the core principals of building a team imo.

The Leaper
06-08-2009, 10:43 PM
I think he is better than #16...but not by a longshot. I'd stick him around #12...but I would also include the coaches who don't have a coaching job at the moment, such as Cowher and Dungy.

Coaches who I think are DEFINITELY better than McCarthy:

Beli
Cowher
Dungy
Coughlin
Reid
Fisher

Coaches who I think are PROBABLY better:

Tomlin
Lovie
Mike Smith
Harbaugh
Gruden

Joemailman
06-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Since when?

One move doesn't make a GM. I don't like the move. It worked out ok. It was bound to happen eventually, via Brett leaving or whatever. For what its worth, I don't think they're treating Tauscher much better this year. At least offer the guy a camp contract and let him use Packer facilities to rehab and to be with his teammates. He's a leader and a veteran, and according to LeRoy Butler and Gary Ellerson he's the offensive linemen vocal leader.

My opinion of TT is that if he doesn't improve his drafting (prior to this year), he needs to address some positions via FA. I really like this years draft outside of Raji. Would have preferred Crabtree as I believe he was BPA, but I'm still hopeful that Raji becomes a hoss.

I'm not super hot or super cold on him, and I think his team has a long way to go from being great, but he has shown that he understands the core principals of building a team imo.

I'm ok with how they are treating Tauscher. 1 of 3 things will happen with Tauscher:

1. He recovers from his injury and signs with the Packers.
2. He recovers from his injury and signs with another team.
3. he can't recover and announces his retirement.

I think any of those scenarios would be better than signing Tauscher to a minimum contract and then cutting him if he can't make it. I think the Packers would rather avoid that.

pbmax
06-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Since when?

He has been using the Packer facilities according to the man himself on Milwaukee radio.

pbmax
06-09-2009, 12:24 AM
I think he is better than #16...but not by a longshot. I'd stick him around #12...but I would also include the coaches who don't have a coaching job at the moment, such as Cowher and Dungy.

Coaches who I think are DEFINITELY better than McCarthy:

Beli
Cowher
Dungy
Coughlin
Reid
Fisher

Coaches who I think are PROBABLY better:

Tomlin
Lovie
Mike Smith
Harbaugh
Gruden

Don't buy Lovie, Tomlin, Smith or Harbaugh. Too soon for the last two, Lovie has maintained a D and stagnated on O. Tomlin inherited a Super Bowl quality team. Hard to say if maintaining it qualifies. Possibly. Actually, yes, winning the SB has to put you near the top. So I would cross three off Leaper's list here. I am not too fond of Gruden either. But the SB is a tough argument to crack.

sheepshead
06-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Since when?

Ok here's my point before I got rudely slammed to the pavement. You have been critical of TT at every turn(as many have). On the second or third post on this thread you are gushing over MM like a little school girl. My point is; we lost 7 games by an average of 3 points that's the difference between sitting home and a first round bye. While we can imagine all kinds of moves TT should have made or shouldn't have made to pick up 4 points in those games, I instead put that squarely on the coaching staff. As a "guy" , I like MM. So far I have seen more blown opportunities then achievements from MM and his staff. I think he is more on a hot seat than many of us realize.

retailguy
06-09-2009, 08:06 AM
So, instead of "baiting" partial, why didn't you just give your opinion?

Now, I'm not interested. Before you became a jerk, yet again, I'd have thought, good point....

sheepshead
06-09-2009, 08:33 AM

Now, I'm not interested. Before you became a jerk, yet again, I'd have thought, good point....

See Jeffro, (he sent me a nice email) this is the kind of gestapo bullshit I'm talking about.

cpk1994
06-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Since when?

I'm ok with how they are treating Tauscher. 1 of 3 things will happen with Tauscher:

1. He recovers from his injury and signs with the Packers.
2. He recovers from his injury and signs with another team.
3. he can't recover and announces his retirement.

I think any of those scenarios would be better than signing Tauscher to a minimum contract and then cutting him if he can't make it. I think the Packers would rather avoid that.I agree. No GM in their right mind would sign an injured veteran player, especially one who isn't 100% sure of a recovery.

retailguy
06-09-2009, 09:30 AM

See Jeffro, (he sent me a nice email) this is the kind of gestapo bullshit I'm talking about.

What I see, is a pot screaming about the differences in the look of the new kettle.

Oscar
06-09-2009, 09:40 AM
I most certainly don't want to be in the middle of any of this. I thought I'd offer a no hard feelings gesture. Had I taken a few seconds to think and re worded my first post things may have turned out different.

sheepshead
06-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Naww youre fine. Asswipes will be asswipes - part of the deal

Zool
06-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Naww youre fine. Asswipes will be asswipes - part of the deal

Admitting you have a problem is the first step in recovery.

SMACKTALKIE
06-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Well since none of you seem able to get along on this thread, and you have gone so far off topic I'll try to stir the pot here.

Chilly: 24 and 24, MM: 27 and 21

Childress's ranking is higher on this list because of the Favre factor. MM and Chilly are only 3 games apart in total record. MM won 21 of his 27 victories with a hall of fame QB at the helm and followed that up with 6 wins out of 16 with an "average" QB. (I like Rodgers but he's not Favre yet.)

Chilly has won all of his 24 with either a re-tread or highly inexperienced QB. He's had AD for 18 of his wins but only used him as a starter in his last year and a half.

Chilly has steadily improved (6-10, 8-8, 10-6) implying he is improving the team and his coaching as he acquires more players that fit his system, and the players that were there before him have picked up the system.

MM has waivered in his record (8-8, 13-3, 6-10) leading one to wonder if his strength was based on talent or coaching. Going from 13-3 to 6-10 has to hurt MM's ranking.

Ballboy
06-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Well since none of you seem able to get along on this thread, and you have gone so far off topic I'll try to stir the pot here.

Childress's ranking is higher on this list because of the Favre factor. MM and Chilly are only 3 games apart in total record. MM won 21 of his 27 victories with a hall of fame QB at the helm and followed that up with 6 wins out of 16 with an "average" QB. (I like Rodgers but he's not Favre yet.)

Chilly has won all of his 24 with either a re-tread or highly inexperienced QB. He's had AD for 18 of his wins but only used him as a starter in his last year and a half.

Chilly has steadily improved (6-10, 8-8, 10-6) implying he is improving the team and his coaching as he acquires more players that fit his system, and the players that were there before him have picked up the system.

MM has waivered in his record (8-8, 13-3, 6-10) leading one to wonder if his strength was based on talent or coaching. Going from 13-3 to 6-10 has to hurt MM's ranking.

Any how many playoff wins?

What about his players on defense?

As you pointed out, he started using AD in the last year and a half which got Chilly 14 of his 24 wins, I think AD has much to do with it.

Pacopete4
06-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Even though I think Chilly is a dumby, and I like MM as far as offense goes.. you make really good points to why Chilly is higher rated. I mean lets face it, MM really hasnt gotten the job done as well as we'd like to have it. 4 and 6 win seasons? thats brutal. Ya that 13 win season was amazing to go thru but good coaches win year in year out... So far, Chilly hasnt had horrible seasons like MM so I guess the ranking is kinda deserved.

retailguy
06-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Kind of brings the old thought of "what have you done for me lately" into perspective.

I agree, last season hurt McCarthy's "wonderboy" status. As it should have. Both he and Sean Payton were talked about as "real finds" after their seasons in 2007. Neither still enjoys the same status. They've been replaced by Mike Smith and John Harbaugh as the golden boys of the moment.

ThunderDan
06-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I mean lets face it, MM really hasnt gotten the job done as well as we'd like to have it. 4 and 6 win seasons? thats brutal. Ya that 13 win season was amazing to go thru but good coaches win year in year out... So far, Chilly hasnt had horrible seasons like MM so I guess the ranking is kinda deserved.

I sure don't remember MM coaching a 4-12 team. That would be Sherman; the head football coach of Texas A&M.

Pacopete4
06-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I mean lets face it, MM really hasnt gotten the job done as well as we'd like to have it. 4 and 6 win seasons? thats brutal. Ya that 13 win season was amazing to go thru but good coaches win year in year out... So far, Chilly hasnt had horrible seasons like MM so I guess the ranking is kinda deserved.

I sure don't remember MM coaching a 4-12 team. That would be Sherman; the head football coach of Texas A&M.

I'm sorry.. I mean 6 and 8 win seasons.. not 4 and 6, my bad

Pacopete4
06-09-2009, 01:13 PM
the other thing thats hard to dispute is that MM is 5-1 against Chilly... granted they split last season with Rodgers and was 4-0 with Favre... but its still gotta swing towards MM as being rated higher as a coach

SMACKTALKIE
06-09-2009, 01:29 PM
the other thing thats hard to dispute is that MM is 5-1 against Chilly... granted they split last season with Rodgers and was 4-0 with Favre... but its still gotta swing towards MM as being rated higher as a coach

Minus one significant ass kicking (34 to 0?) were'nt all the other meetings decided by 3 pointss or less?

I know Chilly has a great record against the Bears. Would common opponents factor into the rankings?

Pacopete4
06-09-2009, 01:33 PM

Minus one significant ass kicking (34 to 0?) were'nt all the other meetings decided by 3 pointss or less?

I know Chilly has a great record against the Bears. Would common opponents factor into the rankings?

I think if you were to make a comparison, yes.. common opponents would have to but I'm still not sure they'd be enough to make up for a 5-1 record. Coaching becomes that much more crucial in close games.. so I dunno. I do know this, say Chilly wins both this year against the Pack.. he'll be earning that ranking a lot more than he does now I think.

Fred's Slacks
06-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Good post. That's an argument I might buy. I would add, however, that Chilly inherited a 9-7 team. M3 on the other hand inherited a 4-12 team. So before last year we saw the steady improvement to the point to where we were a FG away from the SB. Then we lost our HOF QB (though I think that had little to do with the drop in record), but more importantly had a disastrous and drama filled offseason, and our D was decimated by injuries ( I know, :violin: ) leading to 6-10.

Fred's Slacks
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
If Crosby makes that FG against MN, do these rankings look different?

SMACKTALKIE
06-09-2009, 02:33 PM

That's just football. There were a handfull of plays, for both teams, in all games (except one) that could have changed the outcome.

As for the teams inheirited you make a good point. Although losing a pro bowl QB in C-pep hurt, the Pack going from 4-12 to 13-3 in 3 years is significant.

Please remember that the Vikings lost their best player on D (as voted on by the Team's players and coaches) last season in E.J. Henderson.

sheepshead
06-09-2009, 02:34 PM

Again, I like MM but I dont think he has earned a place of high regard thus far.

Fritz
06-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Those who have experience, even poor record wise, have more wins than those 2. Therefore they are the worst.

I would agree, except that I believe they ranked Jim Schwartz around 20th. So he's a better head coach apparently than other head coaches before he's ever even run a training camp, much less managed a game.

Weird. I think that might make me an average novelist although I've never written a novel before. I have, however, edited many others' works and have read many novels.

Wow. I feel better about myself already. I'm an okay novelist now! And I didn't even have to write one!

Ballboy
06-09-2009, 05:06 PM

That's just football. There were a handfull of plays, for both teams, in all games (except one) that could have changed the outcome.

As for the teams inheirited you make a good point. Although losing a pro bowl QB in C-pep hurt, the Pack going from 4-12 to 13-3 in 3 years is significant.

Please remember that the Vikings lost their best player on D (as voted on by the Team's players and coaches) last season in E.J. Henderson.

I liked EJ coming out of Maryland, but without the Williams wall and Jared, the defense would really be nothing....EJ was made to look even better by those three players...Sorry.

SMACKTALKIE
06-10-2009, 11:03 AM

I liked EJ coming out of Maryland, but without the Williams wall and Jared, the defense would really be nothing....EJ was made to look even better by those three players...Sorry.

What do you mean sorry? Again that's football. That's the reason your LB's look horrible, lack of D Line.