PDA

View Full Version : Tenor Saxophone

retailguy
06-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Anyone know anything about them? My 12 year old wants to play in the jazz band next year. She's played clarinet for about 2 years, and wants to try the SAX.

I don't rent instruments, and don't know anything about saxophones. Can anyone let me know where I should be looking, what brands are good, and what I should be prepared to pay?

thanks all.

GrnBay007
06-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I can't answer any of your questions. :D But I say let her play the Sax....love listening to the saxophone....my fav!!!!

retailguy
06-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I can't answer any of your questions. :D But I say let her play the Sax....love listening to the saxophone....my fav!!!!

Yeah, of course I'll let her play. But, I want to get a good deal on a good instrument. I taught myself about clarinets and bought a very nice used Buffet for her to use. I don't have that much time for the SAX, she needs to start lessons next week, to be up to speed by fall. I don't know anything about brass instruments, and don't know what to look for.

I've been thinking about renting (gasp), just for the summer, until i can figure this out. But thought I'd ask here first.

Scott Campbell
06-08-2009, 10:21 PM

Yeah, of course I'll let her play. But, I want to get a good deal on a good instrument. I taught myself about clarinets and bought a very nice used Buffet for her to use. I don't have that much time for the SAX, she needs to start lessons next week, to be up to speed by fall. I don't know anything about brass instruments, and don't know what to look for.

I've been thinking about renting (gasp), just for the summer, until i can figure this out. But thought I'd ask here first.

The sax is considered a woodwind just like her clarinet. I know a bit about brass instruments and pianos, but next to nothing about good saxes.

Partial
06-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I would recommend checking Craigslist for good prices, and doing some research online. I had an "intermediate" level alto sax, and it was very good. No need to go any higher end than that. Don't remember what my parents paid. I, like most students in my school, rented for a year or two using a beginner level instrument, then moved up come 7th grade.

Harlan Huckleby
06-08-2009, 11:35 PM
I played sax for a few years. I rented it for almost nothing. I guess it was a beat-up band instrument that wsa normally rented to school kids, but it felt and sounded fine to me. The joy of sax is that it is very easy to play badly. I think I was able to make an OK-sounding tone within a week.

Tenor sax is simply the finest instrument on the planet. The range and tone is quite similar to the human voice. Its a very natural, comfortable instrument, almost like sucking on your mom's tit. Ahhh, brings back happy mammories.

I played trumpet a long time ago. That instrument is difficult to play badly, and impossible to play well.

The best part of learning a wind or brass instrument is you suddenly appreciate the beautiful tone quality of somebody who really knows how to play. You develop a love for music.