PDA

View Full Version : Vacation advice for your friend Falco

falco
06-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi all,

Looking to take a week vacation later this summer with the family. We want to go someplace warm, preferably on the Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic Ocean. Needs to be within a day and half drive of central WI. Preferably warm!

Any advice on potential locations and/or attractions would be appreciated. We are looking for a nice mix of relaxation and sight-seeing, in particular any sort of cultural or natural attractions (art museums, state parks, etc).

Thanks!

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 09:50 PM
I would advise skipping the gulf. It is too warm and muggy, and the water isn't really refreshing...it becomes kinda soupy. This was my experience living in florida.

I was just in Mexico..puerto penasco/rocky point, and this is late in the year to enjoy it, but we caught great weather.

Ty still shivers at the memory of being there in labor day...hot and humid....sweating through clothes..disgusting.

I would think NC beaches and epecially outer banks.

Brando19
06-08-2009, 09:54 PM
We usually go to Myrtle Beach, SC. It's really warm and there's alot to do there. You could go to VA Beach, it's beautiful, and hit up Colonial Williamsburg while you're there (Busch Gardens is awesome.) NC Beaches are great, as well.

Partial
06-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Do you all have passports? There are great deals to bahamas, etc these days but without passports for a family of 4 that kills the deal right there.

Scott Campbell
06-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I've been to Destin twice - the Redneck Riviera. I was surprised that I liked it. Whitest sand I've ever seen. Great fishing.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I've been to Destin twice - the Redneck Riviera. I was surprised that I liked it. Whitest sand I've ever seen. Great fishing.

In the summer?

Scott Campbell
06-08-2009, 10:52 PM

In the summer?

April and early June I think.

BallHawk
06-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Never come to Florida unless you are spending all your time in an amusement park. The beaches here are overrated and the weather is bad in the summer. Alternating periods of tormenting heat and pulverizing rain.

New England is a beautiful area, especially Maine. Or you could head down to the Smokies. It may be busy, but the Smokies are great for a family visit. Lots to do.

MJZiggy
06-09-2009, 05:58 AM
In the summer, forget the south. I know what everyone assumes, but consider the Jersey shore. Cooler and you can still find a ton to do. Also, if you want a great family vacation switch ocean for lakes and go to the Kentucky state parks. Granted I haven't been for a long time, but great fun with boating, skiing and all the kid activities that a lodge has to offer. Also, in the east end of the state there are some cool caves.

Little Whiskey
06-09-2009, 06:40 AM

I'll have to check it out!

I'd agree with maine, but have never been there in the summer, only the fall and only on the coast.

I just got back from Grand Cayman. I'd give that a thumbs up. Temps were warm but the wind kept you comfy. (obviously not a driving destination, and you need a passport. )

Freak Out
06-09-2009, 11:40 AM
No decent airfares out of there? Mexico is begging for tourists to come back.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-09-2009, 04:30 PM

In the summer?

April and early June I think.

I thought so. Those two are the last good months till october. June is pushing it.

That is why you see most people with money who are snowbirds depart around/after mother's day.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-09-2009, 04:32 PM
No decent airfares out of there? Mexico is begging for tourists to come back.

Mexico is hot, and not comfortable this time of year.

Ty was very lucky this past weekend for Circus Mexicus...the weather was good, but we got lucky. Scottsdale was unseasonable cool as well...predicted 107, but was like 92.

SnakeLH2006
06-13-2009, 02:37 AM
I would advise skipping the gulf. It is too warm and muggy, and the water isn't really refreshing...it becomes kinda soupy. This was my experience living in florida.

Snake's been everywhere on vacations, and prefers the Cali landscape, but hate Florida's mugginess, but must say I went on a cruiseship outta Miami to the Florida Keys and Cozumel Mexico a few years ago with an ex. The mugginess of Florida (which sucks) subsides as you get out to sea. After eating 5 star all inclusive food and drinks, Snake met some other college girl at the topless sunbathing top of the ship on our Carnival cruise and engaged in a flurry of great things at her deck room. Good ass time with pics. I still dated the same girl for a year after, but damn if cruises aren't a good time for all. And must say, those might be a good, cheap deal for families too Falco.....seen plenty of those too. Cheap, hot sun, water, fun....good times. Just saying. If you go with your family, stay away from the late night clubs and topless spas up top. Otherwise........GREAT VACATION.

SkinBasket
06-13-2009, 08:02 AM
If you go with your family, stay away from the late night clubs and topless spas up top.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u22/bfamtime/women/fat-girls-in-bikinis.jpg

oregonpackfan
06-13-2009, 10:17 AM
I spent 3 summers as a camp counselor in Maine and I absolutely loved it! The coast is very appealing and scenic. Inland, I enjoyed hiking portions of The Appalachian Trail.

falco
06-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks all for the advice! I will let you know what we decide.

Cornholio
06-13-2009, 08:25 PM
The Outer Banks of North Carolina are always an excellent choice. You can be there in a day and a half, the drive down is great going through the Smoky and Blue Ridge Mountains and the outer banks is a very nice vacation spot. Or you could travel further south to the Myrtle Beach area and tour Charleston, South Carolina on your way. If you like old southern cities, you will love Charleston.

Bretsky
06-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Punta Cana; topless Europeans. Beautiful Beaches. got Nothing Else

Tyrone Bigguns
06-14-2009, 12:15 AM
The Outer Banks of North Carolina are always an excellent choice. You can be there in a day and a half, the drive down is great going through the Smoky and Blue Ridge Mountains and the outer banks is a very nice vacation spot. Or you could travel further south to the Myrtle Beach area and tour Charleston, South Carolina on your way. If you like old southern cities, you will love Charleston.

Wow. The outer banks....guess no one suggested that.
:oops: