PDA

View Full Version : Clay Matthews returns to practice field

packers04
06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Clay Matthews returned to the practice field on Tuesday, got word from a fellow teammate of his.

Good deal, we need him to succeed this year!

RashanGary
06-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Even if Jeremy Thompson pans out, we need this guy on ST's. Our ST's were ranked 26th overall last year. He could probably play on every unit and be a terror.

He's not a midget. I saw him in person. He's looks big next to Barnett.

HarveyWallbangers
06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Clay Matthews returned to the practice field on Tuesday, got word from a fellow teammate of his.

Good deal, we need him to succeed this year!

Jeremy Thompson would beg to differ.
:D

I'd love to see Clay show he's ready early.

SkinBasket
06-09-2009, 05:29 PM
I would love to see Clay not have to show he's ready early. Projected awesomeness or no, a year on ST and situational substitutioning could go a long way to ramping his body up to NFL standards while maintaining his confidence.

arcilite
06-09-2009, 05:35 PM
We drafted this guy in round 1.

He is a LB...not a QB.

Why the hell would we want him to only play ST for a year?

Makes no sense.

I want him starting or at least contributing a shitload.

Joemailman
06-09-2009, 05:50 PM

He is a LB...not a QB.

Makes no sense.

Not sure that's the kind of fertilizer they use at Lambeau.

SkinBasket
06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't care what round a guy's drafted in. I hope our team is always good enough that we don't have to rely on any rookie to "contribute a shitload." I would also rather a guy is physically and mentally ready to make an impact before he's counted on as a starter instead of just tossing him out there and letting him sink or swim based on his "potential."

Guiness
06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Dammit skin, get rid of that avatar.

*shiver*

Yes, I know that's your goal, but this is just too far!

SkinBasket
06-09-2009, 06:53 PM
The last time you all clamored for change, you clamored even more when that changed happened. I'll look into possible solutions only because I respect you as a poster of mental fitness.

MJZiggy
06-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Well you know what I want...

Guiness
06-09-2009, 07:03 PM
We all know what a desperate housewife wants. Why doesn't someone give it to her already?

I mean, it can't be that hard to get chocolate cake in GB!

pbmax
06-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Nice to see this isn't going to be an injury that lingers for weeks, hopefully. I agree with Skin that I would like the depth to be such that even good rookies must wait (Brian Williams took until season 3 or 4 to start-one was an injury year) to start.

But in this salary cap world, that may not be possible, especially when changing a defense and requiring new personnel. After the transition to this defense, however, Skin might get his wish.

Deputy Nutz
06-10-2009, 09:28 AM

seven inches

KYPack
06-10-2009, 11:10 AM

seven inches

(Show of hands please)

How many people knew that shit was coming?

Fritz
06-10-2009, 11:14 AM

He is a LB...not a QB.

Makes no sense.

If he does he would be the Najeh Davenport of linebackers.

rbaloha1
06-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Given the fact of draft position and the number of draft picks sacrificed CM better win the starting job.

Patler
06-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Given the fact of draft position and the number of draft picks sacrificed CM better win the starting job.

Wouldn't it be better if he was everything TT hoped he was, played very, very well; AND was beaten out for the starting job by someone else? :lol: :lol:

Scott Campbell
06-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Why doesn't someone give it to her already?

:lol:

Zool
06-10-2009, 01:50 PM

seven inches

How many people knew that was coming?

Thats what she said.

Freak Out
06-10-2009, 02:00 PM

A little of this? :)

http://photos.al.com/photos/alphotos/cd09555ebe4afb5e99ff26e2d44350c8.jpg

cpk1994
06-10-2009, 03:46 PM

seven inches

(Show of hands please)

How many people knew that shit was coming?Still funnhy as all hell. :lol:

pbmax
06-10-2009, 03:55 PM

seven inches

(Show of hands please)

How many people knew that shit was coming?

When I first saw the parenthetical command to show hands please about seven inches, I feared I was about to learn much more about some of you than I want to know.

Thanks for a rhetorical question KY. :lol:

rbaloha1
06-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Wouldn't it be better if he was everything TT hoped he was, played very, very well; AND was beaten out for the starting job by someone else? :lol: :lol:

Does not make sense. If CM is all that CM starts and makes plays. Not starting is not a good thing. CM was drafted to start. Lets see it.

Joemailman
06-10-2009, 05:02 PM
So if Jeremy Thompson turns out to be the next Shawn Merriman, you start Matthews ahead of him because he's a 1st round draft pick? Put the best team on the field regardless where guys were drafted. Besides, the 3-4 gives you all kinds of options, which means a guy can have an impact without being a starter.

SkinBasket
06-10-2009, 05:05 PM

Does not make sense. If CM is all that CM starts and makes plays. Not starting is not a good thing. CM was drafted to start. Lets see it.

He's a rookie on a team that's got three guys who've been starting together for a number of seasons and another ex-DE who isn't going anywhere. Of course I hope he's better than Poppinga. But I doubt that he is right now. This isn't madden football where you pick a guy out of college and just dump him onto your pro roster and his numbers increase. He's got a mountain of stuff to learn right now and chances are his body is going to need time to acclimate to NFL practices, much less games. I haven't heard if he's at the weight the team wants him at either and if he's going to be able to maintain that weight into the season or not is a question only time will answer.

If you want to shatter his confidence and put him in a position to get injured his first year because he's pushing a body that isn't ready for the difference between college ball and the NFL, then go ahead and keep on hoping he's playing every down because he was 1st round pick. Still not sure what difference that makes, but I guess it's an important label to some people.

I would rather the team does what's best for the team and the long term career of the player, not what is expected out of people who think a 1st round player is somehow more important or valuable than a 5th round player based solely on that designation.

KYPack
06-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Ay God, Skin. You do make some good football posts from time to time. I agree 100%. I know TT thinks this kid is the Lord's prayer, but I dunno. The pics I saw of him in OTA's, he looked a trifle scrawny. He really hasn't played a lot of football. I'd think his learning curve is pretty long. For a team that needs impact player on D, we seem to have any number of projects floating around.

I hope like hell they all work out, but not every transition/developmental player is gonna work out.

PlantPage55
06-10-2009, 05:24 PM
not every transition/developmental player is gonna work out.

I wouldn't call him transitional or developmental. Clay Matthews was one of the FEW 3-4 prospects on his level of talent that actually PLAYED the position that he'll be playing in the NFL.

As far as NFL-readiness, I don't think he's any more or any less ready for the NFL than almost any other player in that draft. Look at his measureables. He was among the top at his position. Yes, he has lots of room to grow and lots of untapped potential, but I think he's just as NFL ready as any. I'll admit that that part is just my opinion, aside from the factual measureables thing.

You say that TT is hot for him as if it was yet another "Ted Thompson head scratcher" - but he was taken, give or take, where most thought he was going to be taken. It's not like he was Ted's little secret. If we didn't trade up for him, he'd likely would have been gone in the next 5 or so picks. Again, speculation, but it's supported by draft value analysis.

SkinBasket
06-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I should add that I have every confidence that this guy can be a great player from what others who know what they're talking about have said about him. I just don't understand the fan's perceived need to press any rookie into a starting role their first year.

Again, I want him to be ready physically and mentally to start when he does indeed start. I don't think that happens in one offseason for more than one player every few years.

Bretsky
06-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't care what round a guy's drafted in. I hope our team is always good enough that we don't have to rely on any rookie to "contribute a shitload." ."

But we're not

Bretsky
06-10-2009, 08:15 PM

a hot chickie mate ?

Bretsky
06-10-2009, 08:17 PM
So if Jeremy Thompson turns out to be the next Shawn Merriman, you start Matthews ahead of him because he's a 1st round draft pick? Put the best team on the field regardless where guys were drafted. Besides, the 3-4 gives you all kinds of options, which means a guy can have an impact without being a starter.

Jermey Thompson as Shawn Merriman ?

Give me some of that juice :!:

rbaloha1
06-10-2009, 08:32 PM
If CM can not beat out Poppinga the Packers are looking at a potential bust.

TT drafted CM to start.

HarveyWallbangers
06-10-2009, 09:02 PM

TT drafted CM to start.

Poppinga isn't the guy he's currently competing against. Jeremy Thompson is. I'm not ready to proclaim anything about Thompson, but he certainly has the athleticism to fit the scheme. Most don't, but there have been plenty of guys like Thompson who have come out of nowhere to become really good players.

Joemailman
06-10-2009, 09:09 PM

Jermey Thompson as Shawn Merriman ?

Give me some of that juice :!:

http://www.globalclimatescam.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/green-kool-aidman.jpg

KYPack
06-10-2009, 09:24 PM

I wouldn't call him transitional or developmental. Clay Matthews was one of the FEW 3-4 prospects on his level of talent that actually PLAYED the position that he'll be playing in the NFL.

As far as NFL-readiness, I don't think he's any more or any less ready for the NFL than almost any other player in that draft. Look at his measureables. He was among the top at his position. Yes, he has lots of room to grow and lots of untapped potential, but I think he's just as NFL ready as any. I'll admit that that part is just my opinion, aside from the factual measureables thing.

You say that TT is hot for him as if it was yet another "Ted Thompson head scratcher" - but he was taken, give or take, where most thought he was going to be taken. It's not like he was Ted's little secret. If we didn't trade up for him, he'd likely would have been gone in the next 5 or so picks. Again, speculation, but it's supported by draft value analysis.

You don't like transitional or developmental, eh?

Well then let's call him what he is, a rookie. Nobody knows how any first year is gonna play until he laces 'em up against NFL players in a regular season game. He looks good in his measureables, but I have an impression that he's a skinny guy who hasn't played that much at his position in college. This is his first camp and his hammy is tweaked already. I don't know if he's gonna have a good first year or not. Neither do you.

I'm more worried about ALL the transition we have goin' on this season on D. We have many guys (all of 'em really) learning new things. Some of these guys will have trouble picking it up.

Will we come up with a cohesive unit on defense by switching to the 3-4? I sure hope so, but it won't be easy, Mathews or no Mathews.

rbaloha1
06-10-2009, 09:26 PM

TT drafted CM to start.

Poppinga isn't the guy he's currently competing against. Jeremy Thompson is. I'm not ready to proclaim anything about Thompson, but he certainly has the athleticism to fit the scheme. Most don't, but there have been plenty of guys like Thompson who have come out of nowhere to become really good players.

Jeremy Thompson is AK's backup and future starter should AK not return.

Nick Barnett, AJ Hawk and Brady Poppinga started as rookies. Is it too much to expect the same from CM?

KYPack
06-10-2009, 09:51 PM

TT drafted CM to start.

Nick Barnett, AJ Hawk and Brady Poppinga started as rookies. Is it too much to expect the same from CM?

Barnett and Hawk were 1st rounders and did start as rooks.

Brady was our second 4th rounder and was not drafted to start, but to develop. He started all of one game his rookie season when Diggs went down with an injury. Popp then blew his knee out and was lost for the year (the last 3 games).

Thompson is not AK's back-up. Jeremy is the early starter at ROLB.

rbaloha1
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
[/quote]
Thompson is not AK's back-up. Jeremy is the early starter at ROLB.[/quote]

You are correct based on Lori Nickel's blog post. Earlier in the camp JT was backing up AK.

Agree that CM may have difficulty beating out JT.

SkinBasket
06-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't care what round a guy's drafted in. I hope our team is always good enough that we don't have to rely on any rookie to "contribute a shitload." ."

But we're not

Oh how now brown cow!

Even I, who have a rather less than optimistic outlook on all things Packer defense related, am not going to say that fresh off the boat rookies are in order to improve this defense. We have two holes. A safety spot, and ROLB. I think the right rookie could have been an upgrade at safety (not in this year's draft though), but claiming a rookie is an immediate upgrade over Thompson and Poppinga? That is a sour outlook indeed.

Bretsky
06-10-2009, 10:31 PM

But we're not

Oh how now brown cow!

Even I, who have a rather less than optimistic outlook on all things Packer defense related, am not going to say that fresh off the boat rookies are in order to improve this defense. We have two holes. A safety spot, and ROLB. I think the right rookie could have been an upgrade at safety (not in this year's draft though), but claiming a rookie is an immediate upgrade over Thompson and Poppinga? That is a sour outlook indeed.

Reality Bites

And our Safety position is probably stronger than the interior DL as well

Just another reminder

OUR OTHER FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK WILL NEED TO CONTRIBUTE A SHITLOAD TOO :!: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090610/PKR01/90610169/1058

"He’s a big, big, strong, fast kid — guy, dude, whatever,” fellow linebacker Brandon Chillar said of Matthews, the 26th overall pick out of Southern California.

“I think he’s got a lot of talent. He’s been hurt, so we haven’t got to see too much of him, but he’s definitely showed some flashes, and obviously, he’ll probably continue showing those as he’s on the field more.”

HarveyWallbangers
06-10-2009, 10:43 PM
packers.com article, so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/06/10/1/

Thompson Appears Fit For New Position
by Mike Spofford, Packers.com

When the 2008 season ended, the initial evaluation of Jeremy Thompson was that he'd need to add 10 to 15 pounds to his 270-pound frame to become a more all-around player at defensive end.

But with the switch to the 3-4 defense, and a position change for Thompson to outside linebacker, the weight issue shifted gears. During the offseason strength and conditioning program, Thompson dropped roughly 10 pounds to help with his speed and agility, and ever since then a trimmer, leaner Thompson has been No. 1 on the depth chart as a starting outside linebacker opposite Aaron Kampman.

"I have a big frame, but I'm pretty lean, pretty athletic," said Thompson, who is listed at 6-foot-4 and said after really strenuous workouts might weigh 255. "So I think body-wise I'm a pretty good fit. I just have to get my mentality to be an outside linebacker. I think I'm doing a pretty good job of that right now."

Thompson didn't shy away from the position switch in the slightest. Called a "natural fit for this defense" by Head Coach Mike McCarthy, Thompson used the one-on-one time with outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene during the offseason program to dive right in and learn everything he needed to.

As a defensive end in college at Wake Forest, Thompson had on occasion been assigned to drop into pass coverage like an outside linebacker does. So adding that to his duties defending the run and rushing the passer wasn't a foreign concept for the 2008 fourth-round draft pick.

But as a pure 3-4 outside backer, the additional pass coverage skills are needed more than just sparingly, and Thompson knew that in addition to shedding a few pounds, he would have to not only learn the techniques for dropping into coverage but also master them.

"He's been very conscientious along those lines," defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. "Which always makes an impression on me, because I think a big part of a guy developing in any scheme is what type of time he's willing to commit and do all the little things that maybe some guys won't do, and he's certainly done all those things.

"He's made progress and, through just a short period of time we've been around him, has been encouraging. I think he has the ability to play the position."

Capers cautioned not to read too much into who's taking snaps with the No. 1 unit during this month's OTAs, because there's expected to be significant competition for the job in training camp. Veteran Brady Poppinga and rookie first-round draft choice Clay Matthews, who are currently working with the No. 2 defense, will be in the mix and get their chance.

But to this point, more than halfway through OTAs, Thompson has stayed with the first unit, and that has its benefits. On Wednesday with the defense working on several pressure packages, he knifed through for what likely would have been clean sack of the quarterback during team (11-on-11) work.

"I think in terms of knowing the plays, it's pretty much the same -- the 1's and 2's get the same reps," he said. "But just working with the 1's, you kind of develop a chemistry with the other guys out there, and I think that will be good for me.

"They gave me the opportunity early, and I just tried to bone up on all the plays, know what I'm supposed to do, know where I'm supposed to be, and just try to do my best out there."

Thompson's rookie season at defensive end had its ups and downs. He was a healthy inactive for the first four games but then started to flash his ability at midseason, totaling eight of his 13 tackles on the year in back-to-back games against Seattle and Indianapolis.

But three weeks later he injured his groin, missing two games, then injured his knee and ankle upon his return and sat out another contest. Between the injuries and limited snaps the rest of the way, he didn't record a tackle over the season's final seven games.

That prompted the evaluation from then-defensive ends coach Carl Hairston that Thompson needed to bulk up a bit to become more effective and also endure the long pro season. But with the change in defensive scheme he was immediately pegged by the new coaches as an outside linebacker candidate, and thus far he's made the transition relatively smoothly.

"Through practice there's going to be two or three plays, all right, that things (won't go well) just because he's never seen them before," Capers said. "But I think he's one of those guys that once he sees them, he normally responds to it, and you learn from it.

"He's working extremely hard at it. He's doing a good job mentally. I think he can be a physical presence out there, and I think when he gets in situations where backs have to block him, it will be tough duty for them because of his size and athletic ability. Once we get the pads on him, hopefully we feel the same way."

So does Thompson, who would love nothing more than to go from such a limited role as a rookie to a starter in his second year. That would be a dramatic leap, to say the least, and while there's a long way to go before anything is decided, Thompson's quest has begun as well as anyone could have hoped.

"They've giving me an opportunity to compete for the starting job, and I want to take that opportunity and try and run with it," he said. "For whatever reason last year things didn't click for me, but now it's a new year, and I'm ready to look forward and do things the right way this year.

"Right now I see myself as a work in progress, but by the time camp comes I want to be one of the best."

Ryche
06-10-2009, 11:23 PM
I hope this works... Whats up people ? I have read but not posted... i feel that TT drafted clay as the one to take over for Kampman when he is gone next year so you will have both clay and jeremy as OLBS... Ted will get picks for trading Kamp.. and we will have two outstanding OLBS

Bretsky
06-10-2009, 11:25 PM
I hope this works... Whats up people ? I have read but not posted... i feel that TT drafted clay as the one to take over for Kampman when he is gone next year so you will have both clay and jeremy as OLBS... Ted will get picks for trading Kamp.. and we will have two outstanding OLBS

Welcome to the forum ! Is that you in the pic with two hotties ? If so I already look up to you.

Cheers,
B

Ryche
06-10-2009, 11:26 PM
yes i really dont know how that pic got there i did not send it ... but it is me ... i love me

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2009, 12:43 AM
More JT love.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/47732357.html

"He's a natural pass rusher," McCarthy said. "His experience playing defensive end really will help him this year as it carries over to the outside linebacker position. He's as natural of an athlete that you'll see out there at that position as far as dropping and doing all the different things. I know our defensive staff, particularly Kevin Greene and Dom Capers, are very excited."

He said part of the reason he was improving rapidly was because Greene - the assistant linebackers coach - picks a weak spot for each linebacker every day and makes it a focal point for a practice. Whether it was vision or hand placement, Thompson has had a daily goal.

Freak Out
06-11-2009, 12:56 AM
yes i really dont know how that pic got there i did not send it ... but it is me ... i love me

If you have....err..more photos of them you can probably get early access to the garbage can. :D

KYPack
06-11-2009, 10:37 AM

People have spoken about some Rats posters being so knowledgeable, they outta be coaches. My vote for a guy that could be a coach is for Skin, cause he got me fired up in this thread.

Since the draft, I keep hearing about Clay Matthews and how he will start at ROLB. My first reponse is, how do we all "know" that? If Matthews is such a great ROLB, wouldn't he have been an automatic starter in college? Because at SC, Clay Matthews III started only 2 games at LB in his whole career. Not only did he not start at LB at all in 2008, he wasn't even a starter on defense until the second or 3rd game. Matthews started the final 10 games of his 50-game Southern California career at right defensive end in 2008 and vs. Nebraska and Washington State at strong-side outside linebacker in 2007.

Now I know the way SC deploys it's "elephant" end has similarities with a 3-4 LB. but it ain't the same, let me assure you that. A college DE has minimal pass responsibilities other than pass rushing. This kid will have to learn a lot about pass coverage as a 3-4 LB.

Now I know the kid has all the physical talent in the world. But he is woefully inexperienced at the LB position. Many young LB's will tell you that LB in college bears little resemblance to LB play in the NFL. I really feel he will need a year under his belt to be able to be a factor in our defense.

Deputy Nutz
06-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Skin as a coach, that is funny.

Anyways, again, everyone is caught up in who are the starter during OTAs. Even if there is a depth chart listed a certain way heading into the regular season you are going to see Capers use a lot of different packages lots of formational subs. I wouldn't be suprised if say for an example that Thompson is the starter on the right side to enter the year, but only plays 35% of the snaps, Poppinga getting 35%, and say Chillar getting 20% and Mathews getting 10% on the right side per game. You don't have a clear starter on the right side, so right now I think it is all up in the air. I would rather have a 6-4 255 pound athletic Thompson starting than a small leaner Mathews, or Poppinga who roams around at 240. Thompson is a big 255 if he had to lose 10 pounds.

Again it doesn't matter, I realize it is the off season, but you are going to see Kampman on the line with his hand down on more than an occasion, with maybe someone like Mathews coming in on the left side, or coming in as a rotational guy on both sides.

Who knows I could give you a 100 differen scenarios at this point, but I wouldn't get my head all wrapped around the depth chart in the beginning of June.

KYPack
06-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Skin as a coach, that is funny.

(Snip)

Again it doesn't matter, I realize it is the off season, but you are going to see Kampman on the line with his hand down on more than an occasion, with maybe someone like Mathews coming in on the left side, or coming in as a rotational guy on both sides.

Who knows I could give you a 100 differen scenarios at this point, but I wouldn't get my head all wrapped around the depth chart in the beginning of June.

I'm serious. Skin has got me fired up. He got my nose wide open and filled me with a burning desire to win!

Yer right of course. Over the years, I've seen many June "starters" cut come September. I think they will work Matthews in. They will figure out what he can do and how much he's learned and spot in in situations in which he can be succcessful.

There cases of rooks playing a new postion and starting for an NFL team on D, but they are rare. Barnett did it, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd like to see Thompson grab the job and Matthews pick up enough to help us on both sides, R&LOLB. What happens to Popp depends on a whole lot of factors, most of which aren't known now.

bobblehead
06-11-2009, 12:23 PM

TT drafted CM to start.

You are referring to the barnett that got confused in coverage on 4th and 26 his rookie year? Or the Poppinga that looked confused in coverage his entire 2nd year? You are not making a strong case for starting a rookie here.

rbaloha1
06-11-2009, 12:35 PM

TT drafted CM to start.

You are referring to the barnett that got confused in coverage on 4th and 26 his rookie year? Or the Poppinga that looked confused in coverage his entire 2nd year? You are not making a strong case for starting a rookie here.

You pick out one play from a solid rookie season. The whole defense was confused on that play. Sherman needed to call a timeout to make sure everyone was on the same page.

How was Hawk's rookie year? Wasn't Hawk high in Pro Bowl voting?

The point is previous number one lb picks were instant starters. Why should CM not be expected to start barring injury?

Lurker64
06-11-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm thinking that it really doesn't matter who starts at the OLB spot. "The guy who lines up in that spot on the very first play" is sort of irrelevant, since there's a lot of plays after that one. Dom's a smart guy and he'll rotate personnel as is appropriate for the situation. I think it's a lot more important that we have ~4 OLBs who are worth using in certain situations than 2 guys who are anointed with the fully symbolic and meaningless title of "starter".

bobblehead
06-11-2009, 12:46 PM

TT drafted CM to start.

You pick out one play from a solid rookie season. The whole defense was confused on that play. Sherman needed to call a timeout to make sure everyone was on the same page.

How was Hawk's rookie year? Wasn't Hawk high in Pro Bowl voting?

The point is previous number one lb picks were instant starters. Why should CM not be expected to start barring injury?

It was just one play that will stick with most packer fans forever. Hawk, he showed flashes, but he made mistakes too. My only point was that guys don't come into the NFL ready to start. Its hard for rookies who have conflicts with school and OTA type things. The second year is when they get a full offseason to become a pro and its usually the second year where guys emerge. You start rookies when you have no other options or when they just flat out blow you away. Clay may start, but I doubt it. He is likely to play a lot of special teams and then make a splash next season.

edit: My impression of skin is a 135lb guy with AJ Hawk type greasy hair. Not the kind of guys that NFL players listen to :P But hey, he did make a lot of good points in this thread.

KYPack
06-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Guess we've all picked at that GBP article...

Outside linebacker Clay Matthews hit another roadblock on Wednesday, when his problematic hamstring forced him to drop out of practice in the earlygoing.

Matthews sustained the injury in the Packers’ first organized team activity practice on May 27 and didn’t practice at all last week. He opened Wednesday’s practice as the No. 2 right outside linebacker but was on the sideline getting extra stretching before the first team (11-on-11) period.

The injury isn’t believed to be significant, but the Packers likely will proceed cautiously through at least the remainder of OTAs with a rookie they believe can be a major contributor this season.

2 hammy tweaks with very little contact?

That's a part of being a pro. Learning how to prepare and how to avoid and play with injury

SkinBasket
06-11-2009, 01:36 PM
edit: My impression of skin is a 135lb guy with AJ Hawk type greasy hair. Not the kind of guys that NFL players listen to :P But hey, he did make a lot of good points in this thread.

Ahhh... to be 135 again. It's been about 20 years now. I would feel like a butterfly. To be able to grow hair again would be nice too.

Deputy Nutz
06-11-2009, 02:10 PM

Ahhh... to be 135 again. It's been about 20 years now. I would feel like a butterfly. To be able to grow hair again would be nice too.

Well you will always be a soft little butterfly to me.

Harlan Huckleby
06-11-2009, 02:36 PM
are butterfly kisses part of Skinbasket's fluffer routine?

rbaloha1
06-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Guess we've all picked at that GBP article...

Outside linebacker Clay Matthews hit another roadblock on Wednesday, when his problematic hamstring forced him to drop out of practice in the earlygoing.

Matthews sustained the injury in the Packers’ first organized team activity practice on May 27 and didn’t practice at all last week. He opened Wednesday’s practice as the No. 2 right outside linebacker but was on the sideline getting extra stretching before the first team (11-on-11) period.

The injury isn’t believed to be significant, but the Packers likely will proceed cautiously through at least the remainder of OTAs with a rookie they believe can be a major contributor this season.

That's a part of being a pro. Learning how to prepare and how to avoid and play with injury

Good point. Continued pulled muscles are a sign of what? CM was suspected to have you used performance enhancing drugs prior to the draft.

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Good point. Continued pulled muscles are a sign of what? CM was suspected to have you used performance enhancing drugs prior to the draft.

He wasn't suspected. There was an erroneous report by a blogger, who later apologized for the story. Apparently, the blogger was told that Matthews failed a drug test at the combine--which turned out to be false. The blogger didn't have any other information that would have suggested steroid use by Matthews. (Raji had a similar erroneous report about him failing a drug test at the combine.) I couldn't possibbly know if Matthews uses steroids, but that report should not continue to be used to taint Matthews name.

SkinBasket
06-11-2009, 09:17 PM

Well you will always be a soft little butterfly to me.

Brute.

KYPack
06-11-2009, 10:40 PM

Good point. Continued pulled muscles are a sign of what? CM was suspected to have you used performance enhancing drugs prior to the draft.[/quote]

I'm not gonna even go to the suspicion of steroids route.

I think for Matthews, it just another example of him being very green. He didn't train properly for camp. Now you can listen to what they tell you and do all the work, but it might not be what you need. Next year, he'll know how to get ready so he doesn't get these tweaked hamstrings.

That's just one of the many lessons this kid will learn this year. I happen to agree with Nutz's ratio for his approximate number of snaps on D this season. The coaches will figure out a way to get that athletic talent on the field. Nutz guessed 10%, it might be a little more, maybe less. One way or the other, this kid ain't gonna be the starter at ROLB and play 3 downs. He's too green and has way to much to learn for him to get that many snaps.

Fritz
06-12-2009, 08:29 AM
I completely agree, KY. We do like to get excited about the rookie picks - and why not? - but when September rolls around Matthews will most likely be a ST guy with a few snaps here and there on the D to give him some very limited game time.

That is, unless injuries occur. We hope they don't of course.

rbaloha1
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
The problem with hamstring pulls are they are capable of being a season long problem (i.e. Bigby).

It would not be a complete surprise Matthews first season is limited. Lets hope this does not turn into a JH situation.

KYPack
06-12-2009, 11:41 AM
The problem with hamstring pulls are they are capable of being a season long problem (i.e. Bigby).

It would not be a complete surprise Matthews first season is limited. Lets hope this does not turn into a JH situation.
Agreed.

I'd shut the kid down for 2 months. He's not gonna contribute much, but he might be a factor if healthy. He pulled the hammy last week. No way should he be on the field this week. I like this kid, but he is SO green.