PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About The Favre Situation

HarveyWallbangers
06-10-2009, 11:20 AM
This coming from Paul Allen, radio voice of the Vikings. Three things about Allen: 1) he's good at what he does, 2) he's a big-time homer, 3) it's likely that he's relatively plugged into the team he covers and he seems to be certain of the following:

The Vikings are still interested in Brett. Brett wants to play for the Vikings. If the surgery works, he'll be a Viking. There is a soft deadline for around the middle of July (just before Vikings training camp). The Vikings want to avoid an even bigger distraction that would be caused by Brett coming in during the middle of the preseason (ala the Jets). Chilly's comments on the radio today give credence to this angle. Chilly said that he's interested in seeing if Brett still has his cannon or something to that affect.

Allen said this story has been like this for about a month, and that the national (ESPN) reports have mostly been erroneous.

Now, considering that the surgery is relatively minor, I put the odds of Brett playing for the Vikings at about 90%. Of course, the arm isn't feeling right. He just had the surgery. From what I've read, the tendon has little to do with arm strength. I expect than when Brett's arm is feeling better, he'll be able to show the Vikings enough arm strength to ease their concerns.

The other reports are to get the press off the story for now--which really isn't going to work.

Personally, I'll have less respect for Brett, but it will certainly make the season more interesting. It's a free world, and he can do what he wants to do. Of course, I hope he struggles (but only because he'll be wearing purple), but I wouldn't be surprised by how he plays this year (good or bad). I'm hopeful that another offseason of sitting on his tractor will lead to a so-so season for him (and ultimately a disappointing season for the Vikings).

That's it. I've had little to say about the story, and I'll strive to continue that. Now, onto more polls.
:D

Pacopete4
06-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Good post Harv. Espn sure looks terrible these days...

Deputy Nutz
06-10-2009, 11:31 AM
On to more poles? Harvey I thought you were a christian?

SMACKTALKIE
06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
This coming from Paul Allen, radio voice of the Vikings. Three things about Allen: 1) he's good at what he does, 2) he's a big-time homer, 3) it's likely that he's relatively plugged into the team he covers and he seems to be certain of the following:

The Vikings are still interested in Brett. Brett wants to play for the Vikings. If the surgery works, he'll be a Viking. There is a soft deadline for around the middle of July (just before Vikings training camp). The Vikings want to avoid an even bigger distraction that would be caused by Brett coming in during the middle of the preseason (ala the Jets). Chilly's comments on the radio today give credence to this angle. Chilly said that he's interested in seeing if Brett still has his cannon or something to that affect.

Allen said this story has been like this for about a month, and that the national (ESPN) reports have mostly been erroneous.

Now, considering that the surgery is relatively minor, I put the odds of Brett playing for the Vikings at about 90%. Of course, the arm isn't feeling right. He just had the surgery. From what I've read, the tendon has little to do with arm strength. I expect than when Brett's arm is feeling better, he'll be able to show the Vikings enough arm strength to ease their concerns.

The other reports are to get the press off the story for now--which really isn't going to work.

Personally, I'll have less respect for Brett, but it will certainly make the season more interesting. It's a free world, and he can do what he wants to do. Of course, I hope he struggles (but only because he'll be wearing purple), but I wouldn't be surprised by how he plays this year (good or bad). I'm hopeful that another offseason of sitting on his tractor will lead to a so-so season for him (and ultimately a disappointing season for the Vikings).

That's it. I've had little to say about the story, and I'll strive to continue that. Now, onto more polls.

Good post, you described Paul Allen to a tee. Sounds like the biggest part of this story is what a non-story it really is. Maybe Bus Cook is ESPN's agent. Of course I would like Favre to excell in Minnesota, but I hope firstly that this comes to an end soon.

Chevelle2
06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Harvey.

Does anyone know when Favre will be 100%? And if so, what are people's thoughts about when he will report?

bobblehead
06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
The truth is that the vikes have their final OTA June 16-18th or something like that...expect a 4th of july celebration announcement once BF doesn't have to put in any work before training camp...the man just wants to play football let him play...Allen Iverson says "its only practice...PRACTICE MAN, its not like i'm missing any games"

MadScientist
06-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks Harvey.

Does anyone know when Favre will be 100%? And if so, what are people's thoughts about when he will report?
All the early reports say that this surgery can be expected to have a 4-6 week recovery time ... i.e. he will know for sure in mid July. Since the 4-6 week figure comes from doctors and not ESPN sources, it should be reliable. How BF responds to the surgery is known only to Brett.

Pacopete4
06-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks Harvey.

I thought they said the recovery time is 4-6 weeks for a surgery like that. Well its been two if the reports are correct (who the hell knows if they actually are) so week 5 would be around July 6th and week 6 would be around July 13th. I have a feeling that we'll hear reports of him working out and throwing to either hs kids or with some sort of trainer before this even happens but my guess is he'll be back a few days before the Vikings training camp starts which is on July 27th.

rbaloha1
06-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Sounds reasonable and believable. Either way Favre is creating a circus which may cause problems for the Vikings.

Thank you BF!

Fritz
06-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Good post, you described Paul Allen to a tee. Sounds like the biggest part of this story is what a non-story it really is. Maybe Bus Cook is ESPN's agent. Of course I would like Favre to excell in Minnesota, but I hope firstly that this comes to an end soon.

Smackie, old pal, you been around these parts fer awhile now, but mebbe you see everything through a purple haze. So lemme set ya straight on what it's going to be like fer ya up thar in Minny.

Where Mr. Favre is concerned, ain't nothin' coming to an end soon in terms of the media coverage. Your coach and GM are bringing a circus into yer town, so ya better get used to the tents and the clowns. They'll be around fer awhile.

I know yer hopin' the ringmaster of the circus will be a boon for ya'll, and mebbe he will be, but he brings a circus with him these past few years, and that circus gets bigger every year.

Hope ya don't mind the smell of elephant dung.

pbmax
06-10-2009, 03:38 PM
On to more poles? Harvey I thought you were a christian?
I love this post, even though I am not sure which depraved direction you were taking it. Take a dollar from petty cash.

I agree with Harvey on the 10,000 foot viewpoint. Ed Werdson at ESPN/Pravda got played earlier this week.

SMACKTALKIE
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM

Smackie, old pal, you been around these parts fer awhile now, but mebbe you see everything through a purple haze. So lemme set ya straight on what it's going to be like fer ya up thar in Minny.

Where Mr. Favre is concerned, ain't nothin' coming to an end soon in terms of the media coverage. Your coach and GM are bringing a circus into yer town, so ya better get used to the tents and the clowns. They'll be around fer awhile.

I know yer hopin' the ringmaster of the circus will be a boon for ya'll, and mebbe he will be, but he brings a circus with him these past few years, and that circus gets bigger every year.

Fritz, no question my world has a purple tinge to it, but I still consider myself fairly football knowledgable. I have a little D2 experience to go with it.

I know there will be a circus but if it comes with W's I don't care.

If it comes with losses the Vikings will have Leslie Fraiser as head coach next year. I like Fraiser.

I grew up in rural northern Minnesota. My best friend's dad owns a hog farm. I hated going to his house because it smelled like dung. One day his dad heard me bitching about how much his place stunk and he said, "That smells like money to me, and the more I smell the earlier I retire."

All that said, I was planning on going to training camp this year....... maybe not anymore.

sheepshead
06-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm not ready to bet against Brett Favre just yet. It appears to me he is going to do everything possible to come back. What a side show this will be. We will have our work cut out for us. I'll say this, of the Packers, Bears and Vikings, who ever doesn't make the playoffs will have a Head Coach sacrificed with a big name replacement potentially settling down in the Midwest for a few years.

MJZiggy
06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm not ready to bet against Brett Favre just yet. It appears to me he is going to do everything possible to come back.

With the possible exception of working out...

Tyrone Bigguns
06-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm not ready to bet against Brett Favre just yet. It appears to me he is going to do everything possible to come back.

With the possible exception of working out...

God i love your mind!

If your figure is half as hot as your brain....

Joemailman
06-10-2009, 07:58 PM
I guess Ty will be coming to the Posters game after all.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-10-2009, 08:04 PM

No. Ty will not.

MJ is Ty's Beatrice.

ty has already said to much as it breaks the rules of courtly love.

MJZiggy
06-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Enough with the satire already!

Bretsky
06-10-2009, 10:34 PM
a good reasonable, thought out, logical post by HW without any extreme bias

And that's an extreme rarity in Favre threads

Lurker64
06-10-2009, 10:41 PM
All that seems reasonable Favre, but you seem to be assuming that the public face the Vikings are putting out isn't misdirection, a swerve, or otherwise a lie. This isn't exactly a Vikings regime that's known for being forthcoming. I mean, Brad Childress does hold a card in front of his face when he calls the plays for fear of lip readers.

I don't believe anything anybody has said since this whole Favre drama 2009 started.

Partial
06-10-2009, 11:03 PM
a good reasonable, thought out, logical post by HW without any extreme bias

And that's an extreme rarity in Favre threads

Seconded, with a solid zinger from Nutz.

Harlan Huckleby
06-10-2009, 11:04 PM

I fear that Ty's love for you is real.

Good luck with that. Carry mace in your purse, and try to vary your habits. Don't visit the same coffee shop, take different routes home from work. All our prayers are with you.

pbmax
06-11-2009, 07:57 AM

Good luck with that. Carry mace in your purse, and try to vary your habits. Don't visit the same coffee shop, take different routes home from work. All our prayers are with you.
He said "courtly" Harlan, not "stalking". :lol:

I should check Urban Dictionary just to be sure...

Packerarcher
06-11-2009, 09:58 AM

Great job posting the TRUTH,problem is the majority on this board are not interested in the truth. They would rather post lies and bash Brett every chance they get.

Zool
06-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Great job posting the TRUTH,problem is the majority on this board are not interested in the truth. They would rather post lies and bash Brett every chance they get.

Well thats just flat fucking ridiculous. You're really helping the situation with comments like this.

Gunakor
06-11-2009, 10:22 AM

This particular story, the truth in whether there was a deadline or not, truth in whether the Vikings are interested or not... I don't recall any bashing on this particular subject. The bashing has been focused mainly on whether or not Favre SHOULD play, not whether or not he CAN play. The VAST majority of people here all agree that Favre CAN play if he wants to, we are just in disagreement on whether or not he should.

I think everyone on both sides of the aisle appreciate the truth as far as this is concerned.

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Well thats just flat fucking ridiculous. You're really helping the situation with comments like this.

Agreed.

RIPackerFan
06-11-2009, 10:46 AM
To the fans who feel he should stay retired (out of loyalty to the Packers) - would it make a difference if TT would have cut Favre (without Favre ever trying to retire) vs. Favre retiring and then trying to come back?

I am just trying to see how far loyalty should go. If a team cuts a player, and that said play goes to their rival, is that wrong? Does it matter how long that player was with the organization?

Scott Campbell
06-11-2009, 10:49 AM
To the fans who feel he should stay retired (out of loyalty to the Packers) - would it make a difference if TT would have cut Favre (without Favre ever trying to retire) vs. Favre retiring and then trying to come back?

Absolutely. I'd hold no ill will towards him under those circumstances.

Fritz
06-11-2009, 11:12 AM

No. Ty will not.

MJ is Ty's Beatrice.

And my Laura.

Ty, you been writing sonnets, haven't ya?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-11-2009, 07:43 PM

Satire?

I thought your quip was brilliant.

It pains Ty immensely to think that he has displeased you. I sure hope my book of sonnets about you wasn't in vain.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Ty's love is real..as real as Dante's was of meeting Beatrice when she was 9. Ty only has an avatar to go off of..thought, my lady keeps it interesting by changing it. Gotta keep the romance fresh!

Good advice though, as anyone who understands courtly love knows the inevitable conclusion.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-11-2009, 08:06 PM

No. Ty will not.

MJ is Ty's Beatrice.

And my Laura.

Ty, you been writing sonnets, haven't ya?

Ty feels ashamed that he doesn't know who Laura is, though he is ready to fight for his lady, you mongrel!

Fighting it out over Italian vs. Petrarchan. Shakespearean is SO WEAK! :wink:

Harlan Huckleby
06-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I think that I shall never see
a poem as lovely as Ziggy

Joemailman
06-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Ziggy Haiku

Ziggy Is A Rat
A Packerrat Unequaled
Poor Ty can not sleep.

Fritz
06-12-2009, 07:02 AM

Satire?

I thought your quip was brilliant.

It pains Ty immensely to think that he has displeased you. I sure hope my book of sonnets about you wasn't in vain.

Ty, you know full well that the whole point of sonnets is that they are written in vain. That's pretty much the point of courtly love. It ain't gonna happen. (Which means, in my life, that courtly love is the kind I get most of the time...)

As for Laura, here's some info from a website called "kinjasto:"

"(Song Book) was inspired by the Lady whom Petrarch names Laura, chronicling his first encounter with her at the age of 23. However, his love was not returned, her presence causes him unspeakable joy, and on the other hand it creates unendurable desires. There is no definite information concerning Laura, except that she is lovely to look at, with golden hair, and her bearing is modest and dignified."

So, as you can see, Ziggy is our Beatrice, our Laura, the cause of our unspeakable joy and unendurable desires.

For others on this board, Brett Favre fulfills a similar role. Maybe some Brett Favre sonnets would be in order. That'd be great.

Harlan Huckleby
06-12-2009, 10:02 AM
So, as you can see, Ziggy is our Beatrice, our Laura, the cause of our unspeakable joy and unendurable desires.

For others on this board, Brett Favre fulfills a similar role. Maybe some Brett Favre sonnets would be in order. That'd be great.
:lol:

We can send a Shakespeare sonnet to Ziggy and modify for the Legend.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:

Shall we see thee some summer's day?
Thou art the prince of letting them wait
Rough coaches do ruin the pleasures of May
And August for thee is never too late

ahh, needs work. maybe its going to take a real Gusher Ganger to bring the passion.

Fritz
06-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Shall we see thee some summer's day?
Thou art the prince of letting them wait
Rough coaches do ruin the pleasures of May
And August for thee is never too late

Harlan, that's a fine first quatrain. How about this for the rest:

though often is your throwing shoulder sore;
And every great from great most times declines,
gets cut, or forced to retire before
he'd like - not you, whose body now reclines

On couches, not on football fields of grass.
Soon Jim Marshall's record will be all yours,
You'll sign a contract and get off your ass,
You'll learn some plays and work off those S'mores.

Why, oh why, can't you get it through your head,
you play for cash, nor for revenge 'gainst Ted?

Harlan Huckleby
06-12-2009, 01:11 PM
we've put the shake back in shakespeare

Fritz
06-12-2009, 03:22 PM
You must be offensively-minded. Someone with a defensive mindset would've said we put the Spear back in Shakespeare!

MJZiggy
06-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh Christ. I leave you people alone for one day (checking taser prices--nice black market for these things). I suddenly feel the need for a doberman. It seems the shepherd, the border collie/aussie and vicious attack cat might not be enough. Perhaps I'll name him Nellie (for Jordy), or Raji.

Poetry in a football forum. Perhaps you should consult with someone who's actually met me before you go all overboard here.

Scott Campbell
06-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Poetry in a football forum. Perhaps you should consult with someone who's actually met me before you go all overboard here.

Tarlam said you had a nice..............wait a minute...............I'm thinking of that high school girl on the airplane.

MJZiggy
06-12-2009, 08:26 PM

Tarlam said you had a nice..............wait a minute...............I'm thinking of that high school girl on the airplane.

I'm so surprised violence didn't ensue...

Scott Campbell
06-12-2009, 08:30 PM

Did he almost get punched?

MJZiggy
06-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Not almost--should have.

pbmax
06-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Where the heck is Tarlam?

And were you checking for Tasers before or after Ty declared his courtly love for you? :lol:

Scott Campbell
06-12-2009, 08:47 PM

Not almost--should have.

Damnit Ziggy, do you not have a camera phone??????

DO YOU NOT KNOW THAT THEY WERE MADE FOR THESE SPECIAL MOMENTS????? :lol:

MJZiggy
06-12-2009, 09:06 PM
You wouldn't have believed the pics if I'd posted them. Besides, I think my phone was packed. You'll just have to come to the game and see for yourself--that is the long and short of it. Hee hee.

Tar's doing well. Didn't you read his post in the RR? And my taser search began immediately with said declaration...

Scott Campbell
06-12-2009, 09:19 PM
You wouldn't have believed the pics if I'd posted them. Besides, I think my phone was packed. You'll just have to come to the game and see for yourself--that is the long and short of it. Hee hee.

Tar's doing well. Didn't you read his post in the RR?

No. Did he start the thread, or is it buried somewhere else

MJZiggy
06-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Buried.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17475&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=160

About 1/2way down.

Scott Campbell
06-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Buried.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17475&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=160

About 1/2way down.

Excellent news - thank you.

SnakeLH2006
06-13-2009, 01:40 AM

CLOWNS ARE SCARY!!!!!

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started, and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad."