PDA

View Full Version : Starting RT

HarveyWallbangers
06-10-2009, 10:40 PM
I like Lang long-term, but I would like to see Barbre deservedly WIN the job this year.

Joemailman
06-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Barbre. With Favre gone, we need someone whose name is pronounced phonetically incorrectly.

Oh, and I think he has the ability to be an upgrade in run blocking.

boiga
06-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm liking that Barbre seems to have improved so much compared to last year. He's getting noticed in the OTA's and having a guy that big in the OL might help out our run game.

Harlan Huckleby
06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
is Tauscher gone for sure?

Bretsky
06-10-2009, 10:53 PM
is Tauscher gone for sure?

I think we are all banking on the combo that TT loves youth and he may or may not be ready for the regular season so TT will move on. So far all indications are that is the case

Harlan Huckleby
06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Tauscher's got another year or two in him. I trust him more than Clifton, and he's affordable now.

I did hear some quick remark on talk radio that there are signals that Tauscher is signing elsewhere.

Bretsky
06-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Tauscher's got another year or two in him. I trust him more than Clifton, and he's affordable now.

I did hear some quick remark on talk radio that there are signals that Tauscher is signing elsewhere.

I agree with you; the dude is realiable and IMO wherever he goes he'll be a serviceable starter

But what I'd expect with TT is if there is ever any doubt he goes with youth

I've listed to Tausch; I think he wants to return but he does not appear to be wanted

Harlan Huckleby
06-10-2009, 11:10 PM
I've listed to Tausch; I think he wants to return but he does not appear to be wanted

ya, but there's some decent vet money involved in this negotiation. Both sides are probably posturing.

Bretsky
06-10-2009, 11:13 PM

ya, but there's some decent vet money involved in this negotiation. Both sides are probably posturing.

I kind of think of Tauscher like I do Henderson and maybe Driver in a couple years.

They all should be Packers for their career

But they might want to play longer than they are wanted

pbmax
06-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Tauscher might not be ready until October. There isn't any money available for him now. He was hurt a month later than Barnett and they'll be lucky if Barnett is ready for Week 1.

I voted for Barbre this year given his lead in actual playing time and two offseasons. I think either Lang or Breno get the job long term.

bobblehead
06-11-2009, 02:05 AM
sounds f-ed up, but if Babre doesn't WIN that job I still believe Daryn College will start at RT in week 1.

RashanGary
06-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Too tough to call right now. There are a lot of variables. Physically, if there is one guy who's a brute, I think it's Barbre. I've seen him root Raji out one on one in the run game. He's probably the most agile and maybe the strongest lineman on our team right now. He, Sitton and Spitz would instantly bring a new respect to the right side of our run offense. I worry about his consistency in the pass game and ability to handle complex protection schemes. He's been great except one play where I saw him completely whiff on an overload blitz to the right side. That's the type of play that will lose him the job for sure if he doesn't get it cleaned up.

Gunakor
06-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Personally, I'd like to see Daryn Colledge at RT. I'd like to see TJ Lang at LG. And I'd like it to stay that way for 16 games + playoffs.

RashanGary
06-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Personally, I'd like to see Daryn Colledge at RT. I'd like to see TJ Lang at LG. And I'd like it to stay that way for 16 games + playoffs.

What gives you any confidence in a rookie you've never seen? Physically and mentally he's going to have a huge learning curve. Barbre has been in this offense going on three years. Giacomini is entering his second.

For me, the last thing I want is a rookie starting. We've seen how that works out the last few years. Part of continually drafting depth is that hopefully you don't have to start rookies very often. Of course, the depth was incredibly weak three years ago and it's just getting built back up, but I think it's far enough along that rookies shouldn't have to start week one unless injuries force the issue.

Harlan Huckleby
06-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Daryn Colledge is a LT.

Gunakor
06-11-2009, 10:32 AM

What gives you any confidence in a rookie you've never seen? Physically and mentally he's going to have a huge learning curve. Barbre has been in this offense going on three years. Giacomini is entering his second.

For me, the last thing I want is a rookie starting. We've seen how that works out the last few years. Part of continually drafting depth is that hopefully you don't have to start rookies very often. Of course, the depth was incredibly weak three years ago and it's just getting built back up, but I think it's far enough along that rookies shouldn't have to start week one unless injuries force the issue.

I haven't seen Barbre play RT for any significant time in a game either. Gia hasn't stepped onto a field on game day once yet. What should give me any more confidence in those two at RT than I'd have in Lang at LG?

This is the way I'd like our line to look going forward. I don't expect it to be at all polished in week 1 (as if they've ever been polished in week 1 in any of the last 5 years), but I'd like MM to stick with it for the entire season and let them grow together. I'd like Lang to start week 1 for continuity.

Gunakor
06-11-2009, 10:32 AM

Daryn Colledge is a LT.

Not until Clifton is gone. Cliffy is our LT this year.

Fritz
06-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Barbre. With Favre gone, we need someone whose name is pronounced phonetically incorrectly.

Oh, and I think he has the ability to be an upgrade in run blocking.

This is the best damn reason I've heard yet.

I like the way you think, Joe.

Bossman641
06-11-2009, 11:44 AM
No Tony Moll option??? :cry:

:D

vince
06-11-2009, 11:50 AM
I'd like to see 1. Barbre or 2. Giaco take over the RT spot for good. I think Lang's best spot would be LG with Colledge moving out to replace Clifton in 2010.

bobblehead
06-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Daryn Colledge is a LT.

I've been on that wagon for a long time, but if we need an RT, DC played it very well last year when called upon. I know its only one game, but he looked so natural at it. If we NEED him at RT I won't be worried about him there.

SnakeLH2006
06-13-2009, 01:53 AM
I don't see the man-love for Breno. Can't even remember that guy doing anything EVER in preseaon or current. Langy baby! Love his tough guy shit. Barbre had that rep, but didn't do much to show it. Lang looks the guy for the nasty shit as a rook starter. Snake endorses Langy.

Harlan Huckleby
06-13-2009, 05:59 AM

Daryn Colledge is a LT.

Ahhh, Colledge is better now. All he needs is an affectionate nickname like "Cliffy" and you'll start to come around. How about "DeeCee"? Or "Hard Knocks"? (as in college of hard knocks).

KYPack
06-13-2009, 10:17 AM

Daryn Colledge is a LT.

Ahhh, Colledge is better now. All he needs is an affectionate nickname like "Cliffy" and you'll start to come around. How about "DeeCee"? Or "Hard Knocks"? (as in college of hard knocks).

Change his first name to "Joe".

Gunakor
06-13-2009, 10:21 AM

Daryn Colledge is a LT.

Maybe Colledge is better. Maybe not. They'll have that battle in camp. Or, maybe they won't. Maybe MM is going to play Colledge at LG and that's that. Or, hopefully, MM gives him a shot at the starting RT spot, seeing as how we don't really have anyone over there at all we can feel confident about. I don't know, but I certainly can't see Clifton being removed from the starting LT spot as long as he's on our roster, especially considering Colledge's versatility whereas Clifton can only play LT. I'd think the only way they could stick Colledge in as a starting LT is to give Clifton his outright release, using his roster spot on a guy who is capable of playing multiple positions on the line. Cliffy's contract expires after this season anyway, so I'm pretty sure he'll be our starting LT until then.

ND72
06-15-2009, 07:12 AM

Daryn Colledge is a LT.

I have been one of the biggest chad clifton fans there is...but he's done. I watched him a ton last year, and he didn't have that good first pitch backwards in pass pro you want from a LT. And has lost his forward punch on swim moves that you need, especially since most DE's from that side are fast.

ND72
06-15-2009, 07:16 AM
I really like our 2 picks this year in Lang and Meredith. I think Lang projects more of a Guard than a Tackle, and Meredith has the potential to be one of the best...but that's just potential.

This Year -
LT - Cliffy
LG - Colledge
C - Wells
RG - Spitz
RT - Barbre

I could See in the Future -
LT - Colledge
LG - Lang
C - Spitz
RG - Sitton
RT - Meredith

I don't see the love for Gia either, he just hasn't impressed me in the limited play time he's had. He is the guy every coach loves to hopefully develop, 6'7" (if not taller), a lean 300+....but I donno. I tend to not trust those "hopefuls".

pbmax
06-15-2009, 08:29 AM
I can't disagree about Cliffy, he really seemed to struggle at times last year (esp. early) with his pass protection.

I am not sure about Colledge at Left Tackle, but I do know that he seems to have gone from a question mark to a solid contributor at Guard, which at times looked unlikely in the beginning. Someone mentioned arm length in relation to his struggles in pass protection which made sense to me, he always seemed to be leaning out to reach the defender early and could get caught off balance if the guy changed direction. If so, that might get worse at Tackle.

Breno supposedly wowed everyone with his improvement on the Scout team blocking AK. But unless I am mistaken, those practices might be in pads but its not live hitting. So he may very well be better but not ready for primetime yet.

I could easily live with NDs lineups. I suspect though, that the coaches are looking for Clifton - Colledge Spitz - Sitton - Barbre

RashanGary
06-16-2009, 11:21 AM
This year

Clifton
Colledge
Spitz
Sitton
Barbre

Next year

Colledge or draft or FA
Lang or Colledge
Spitz
Sitton
Barbre

Gunakor
06-16-2009, 12:05 PM
This year

Clifton
Colledge
Spitz
Sitton
Barbre

Next year

Colledge or draft or FA
Lang or Colledge
Spitz
Sitton
Barbre

Just wondering, what does everybody see in a guy like Barbre - who hasn't really gotten any PT in a couple years of being here - that makes everyone comfortable with him becoming a starting tackle? I guess I'm indifferent about Barbre, because I've really not seen him play. But if Tony Moll was listed higher on the depth chart than Barbre and made several starts at RT where Barbre hadn't even earned that chance, I'm not real comfortable with the idea of Barbre being a regular starter there. Am I missing something?

rbaloha1
06-16-2009, 12:34 PM
AB is a wait and see at rt. Physically capable. ZBS is instantly improved since AB and Sitton are capable of reaching the second level thus potentially bigger runs.

Pass blocking is going to be interesting though.

Joemailman
06-16-2009, 01:16 PM
This year

Clifton
Colledge
Spitz
Sitton
Barbre

Next year

Colledge or draft or FA
Lang or Colledge
Spitz
Sitton
Barbre

Just wondering, what does everybody see in a guy like Barbre - who hasn't really gotten any PT in a couple years of being here - that makes everyone comfortable with him becoming a starting tackle? I guess I'm indifferent about Barbre, because I've really not seen him play. But if Tony Moll was listed higher on the depth chart than Barbre and made several starts at RT where Barbre hadn't even earned that chance, I'm not real comfortable with the idea of Barbre being a regular starter there. Am I missing something?

Although Barbre was a Tackle in college, I believe this is his first real shot at Tackle with the Packers. The Packers tried to turn him into a Guard, and it didn't work out. I think Moll proved last year that he'll likely never be a starting-quality RT, so they decided to give Barbre a shot there. McCarthy is now saying that Barbre is probably better suited to tackle than Guard. Barbre's problems his first 2 years may be more due to a coaching decision gone bad than his own play.

Fritz
06-16-2009, 01:23 PM
The real problem is with this "Allan" or "Alan" crap. If people would start calling him "Al" he'd get his nasty back right quick.

Joemailman
06-16-2009, 06:55 PM
I really like our 2 picks this year in Lang and Meredith. I think Lang projects more of a Guard than a Tackle, and Meredith has the potential to be one of the best...but that's just potential.

This Year -
LT - Cliffy
LG - Colledge
C - Wells
RG - Spitz
RT - Barbre

I could See in the Future -
LT - Colledge
LG - Lang
C - Spitz
RG - Sitton
RT - Meredith

I don't see the love for Gia either, he just hasn't impressed me in the limited play time he's had. He is the guy every coach loves to hopefully develop, 6'7" (if not taller), a lean 300+....but I donno. I tend to not trust those "hopefuls".

Sitton had the RG spot won last year when he got hurt. It would be a pretty big surprise if he's not the starter this year. The only way I see Spitz at RG is if Barbre bombs and they move Sitton to RT. Unless of course, Sitton gets hurt again.

RashanGary
06-16-2009, 08:33 PM

My brother said this too. They had him at left guard only (maybe because he's not the fastest learner and they wanted to keep his situation stable. Colledge ended up winning the spot and doing quite well at it. Barbre did end up playing a lot of snaps in the last game of the season and I don't remember him playing poorly.

LG requires strength and smarts
RT requires strength and athleticism

His best attributes are athleticism and strength so he seems better suited for tackle.

He's coming into his third year, a prime year for a raw small school prospect to break out.

I see no reason to write him off. The whole reason TT keeps drafting lineman after lineman after lineman is so there would be guys ready when an opening comes available. Hopefully that's what happens here. Hopefully a guy gets to learn in the wings and then step in seamlessly (barbre in his third year instead of being tossed in as a rookie)

SnakeLH2006
06-17-2009, 12:56 AM

My brother said this too. They had him at left guard only (maybe because he's not the fastest learner and they wanted to keep his situation stable. Colledge ended up winning the spot and doing quite well at it. Barbre did end up playing a lot of snaps in the last game of the season and I don't remember him playing poorly.

LG requires strength and smarts
RT requires strength and athleticism

His best attributes are athleticism and strength so he seems better suited for tackle.

He's coming into his third year, a prime year for a raw small school prospect to break out.

I see no reason to write him off. The whole reason TT keeps drafting lineman after lineman after lineman is so there would be guys ready when an opening comes available. Hopefully that's what happens here. Hopefully a guy gets to learn in the wings and then step in seamlessly (barbre in his third year instead of being tossed in as a rookie)

Snake agrees and remembers hearing about Barbre's mental aptitude being less than par for learning...but maybe he does it at RT, but wouldn't be surprised if Langy started this year and Meredith next year in 2010. Bottom line though, WTF has Breno done other than be 6'7" 300? Can't remember that guy even getting waters for vets at a scrimmage, much less being in line to start. Forget that guy. He's had a coupla years to get on the radar...time to move on Barbre (to see if he has "it") and Langy and Meredith as sliders in the draft with talent. Love both those guys.

Lurker64
06-17-2009, 01:49 AM
Snake agrees and remembers hearing about Barbre's mental aptitude being less than par for learning...but maybe he does it at RT, but wouldn't be surprised if Langy started this year and Meredith next year in 2010. Bottom line though, WTF has Breno done other than be 6'7" 300? Can't remember that guy even getting waters for vets at a scrimmage, much less being in line to start. Forget that guy. He's had a coupla years to get on the radar...time to move on Barbre (to see if he has "it") and Langy and Meredith as sliders in the draft with talent. Love both those guys.

I think Meredith grades out significantly better at LT than he does at RT, and I would be surprised to see him in the mix at RT next year (or this). He's not a tremendous mauler and doesn't generate a great amount of push in the run game. We have a lot of guys who have mauler potential at RT (Barbre, for example) and I don't see Meredith beating all of them. What Meredith does have, that makes him a good option at LT in the future is that he has very quick feet, very long arms (34"), and he's a natural pass-blocker (he has good "knee bend" in the scouting parlance). His pop isn't great, and he's a little uncomfortable blocking downfield, but he has excellent awareness and is a natural pass blocker. Next year, after Clifton is put out to pasture, I fully expect the LT competition to be between Meredith and Colledge (with Lang probably taking LG if Colledge wins).

SnakeLH2006
06-17-2009, 02:09 AM

I think Meredith grades out significantly better at LT than he does at RT, and I would be surprised to see him in the mix at RT next year (or this). He's not a tremendous mauler and doesn't generate a great amount of push in the run game. We have a lot of guys who have mauler potential at RT (Barbre, for example) and I don't see Meredith beating all of them. What Meredith does have, that makes him a good option at LT in the future is that he has very quick feet, very long arms (34"), and he's a natural pass-blocker (he has good "knee bend" in the scouting parlance). His pop isn't great, and he's a little uncomfortable blocking downfield, but he has excellent awareness and is a natural pass blocker. Next year, after Clifton is put out to pasture, I fully expect the LT competition to be between Meredith and Colledge (with Lang probably taking LG if Colledge wins).

I agree...sorry Lurk, but didn't make it clear. Meredith is a no doubt LT prospect with his length. I only meant that Langy is a RT guy maybe this year and Meredith if the chips fall, the LT maybe, and a big maybe next year....then again, both were looked at as first round guys that slid from 2007. I totally agree with your assessment Lurker though, as that is how I looked at it too.

Scott Campbell
06-17-2009, 08:46 AM
WTF has Breno done other than be 6'7" 300? Can't remember that guy even getting waters for vets at a scrimmage, much less being in line to start. Forget that guy. He's had a coupla years to get on the radar...

Breno was a rookie last year.

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 10:58 AM
WTF has Breno done other than be 6'7" 300?

Rumor has it that the Packers were working on building bulk to match his frame, and that was a big reason he did not see any PT last season. Last year's 6'7" 300 could be 6'7" 325 this year. If he can learn techique and footwork, which he may or may not have a grasp on already, he still as as good a chance as anybody. He hasn't been given a chance to fail yet either.

Patler
06-17-2009, 11:08 AM
What do we know about Barbre's ability to be a starter? Not much.
What do we really know about Sitton's? About the same as we know about Barbre.
As for Lang and Giacomini, we really know nothing at all.

Barbre is no more uncertain than Rivera was going into his 3rd season. The light may go on for him, it may not. Let's hope that it does, because he has uncommon athleticism for an O-lineman.

Scott Campbell
06-17-2009, 11:15 AM

Most of us know only what we've read in a few paragraphs from a scouting report. JH attends practices, and probably has a better feel than most. But it's still not much to go on. A guy could conceivably get killed one day in practice because a coach told him to work on something specifically. Bystanders wouldn't know.

The coaching staff are really the only ones well equipped to judge progress - at least until we can watch these guys in games.

Fritz
06-17-2009, 11:29 AM
WTF has Breno done other than be 6'7" 300? Can't remember that guy even getting waters for vets at a scrimmage, much less being in line to start. Forget that guy. He's had a coupla years to get on the radar...

Breno was a rookie last year.

And besides, it's not that easy to be 6'7" and 300 lbs. You try doing that.

Patler
06-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Heck, I've been trying my whole life. I figured out that the 300 lbs part of it is more easily attainable than the 6'7" part! :lol:

hoosier
06-17-2009, 12:52 PM

Heck, I've been trying my whole life. I figured out that the 300 lbs part of it is more easily attainable than the 6'7" part! :lol:

My image of you has been shaken. Here, I found a new avatar for you that will help restore my faith in images. :lol:

http://allengoldberg.blogspot.com/snoopy2.jpg

Patler
06-17-2009, 01:31 PM

My image of you has been shaken. Here, I found a new avatar for you that will help restore my faith in images. :lol:

http://allengoldberg.blogspot.com/snoopy2.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm now where near the 300 lb. part (never even at 2/3 the way there!) But I COULD get there. I've given up on the 6'7" part!!

Fritz
06-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Look out, Patler! That kid's about to punch you!

SnakeLH2006
06-19-2009, 12:38 AM
WTF has Breno done other than be 6'7" 300? Can't remember that guy even getting waters for vets at a scrimmage, much less being in line to start.

It's not that easy to be 6'7" and 300 lbs. You try doing that.

Well Fritz....I got the other half of the Partial equation, as Snake has been 6'5 1/2" and 215-225 for years now. I could put on weight if that gets me a few hundred thou a year. I'd even get waters for vets! 8-) :lol:

pbmax
06-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Barbre is no more uncertain than Rivera was going into his 3rd season. The light may go on for him, it may not. Let's hope that it does, because he has uncommon athleticism for an O-lineman.
We only know that the coaches have wanted Sitton on the field in games since early in his first training camp.

Barbre suffered to some degree in that his second year, there was no tackle position coming available. And one thing we may know is that he isn't going to crack the starting lineup as a guard, since he could get a start ahead of Colledge, Spitz or Sitton. So while the coaches are obviously comfortable with his skill set and athleticism as a starter, he has still failed to earn a job. Given the youth that is behind him, he might get all the time in the world to fail.

Unless the coaches were quite serious about their love of Breno's scout team work.