PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Smith a starter?

Harlan Huckleby
06-11-2009, 09:08 AM
I just a report on the radio that Anthony Smith (guy from Pittsburgh) has a good shot to start at safety.

Gunakor
06-11-2009, 10:44 AM
He has experience in a defense similar to the one Capers is installing, so he has a bit of a jump on everyone else as far as the mental aspect is concerned. That, and he played significant time last year while Bigby did not. Bigby probably has a bit more rust to shake off.

I take this news to mean there's an open competition for the job, and Smith is a part of it. That can only be a good thing.

KYPack
06-11-2009, 10:50 AM
There's a real possibility that Bigby is done. He isn't running yet. The articles that say he all ready for bear this season mention at the end of 'em that he still can't run. It's mid-June. Time is tight.

Fritz
06-11-2009, 11:13 AM
APB on Nick Collins, then.

packrat
06-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Collins isn't helping himself with his hold out, either from the perspective of learning the position or from endearing himself with the team. They may have decided to move on without him--trade him?

bobblehead
06-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Collins isn't helping himself with his hold out, either from the perspective of learning the position or from endearing himself with the team. They may have decided to move on without him--trade him?

I think the truth finally came out on that and he isn't holding out. A close family member was very sick. I don't recall details, but the story broke a few weeks ago.

Freak Out
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I thought the Collins hold out story had been disproved a few weeks back as well?

PlantPage55
06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
But didn't the agent also say that he would have held out REGARDLESS of the family issues? I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Harlan Huckleby
06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Here is Anthony Smith story that must have got the radio buzzing:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers//454482

mission
06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Collins dad had cancer or something and just died you clowns.

Bigby? Who knows... they're just trying to create some competition. May the best man win.

rbaloha1
06-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Its nice to have a dependable qb on defense. Hopefully someone emerges for the front 7.

KYPack
06-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Bigby? Who knows... they're just trying to create some competition. May the best man win.

Well Mish, I know what you mean. Between Bigby, Smith and Rouse, I think we'll get us a good safety.

They got a helluva coach now in Darren Perry. He'll be real good for Rouse and Bigby. Those two are the biggest peekers I've ever seen. Darren will teach 'em the reads and get 'em to stop looking in the backfield.

We also have a hole card now in Smith. He's a meat and potatoes guy. Nothing flashy, but he's got those zone blitz reads down cold. If the two guys from last year can't get with it, Smith can hold down the fort.

falco
06-11-2009, 08:48 PM
why do people keep saying that Collins holdout is related to his dad's death? His agent made it pretty clear the two issues were separate.

pbmax
06-11-2009, 09:38 PM

I think the truth finally came out on that and he isn't holding out. A close family member was very sick. I don't recall details, but the story broke a few weeks ago.
The papers broke the story of his sick father and then linked the absence at OTA with the family emergency. But then in a display of unnatural admission against interest, Collins agent publicly and for the record stated that even if Collin's had not had a family emergency, he would be absent from OTAs. And the reason was the contract.

Fritz
06-12-2009, 07:14 AM

Well Mish, I know what you mean. Between Bigby, Smith and Rouse, I think we'll get us a good safety.

They got a helluva coach now in Darren Perry. He'll be real good for Rouse and Bigby. Those two are the biggest peekers I've ever seen. Darren will teach 'em the reads and get 'em to stop looking in the backfield.

We also have a hole card now in Smith. He's a meat and potatoes guy. Nothing flashy, but he's got those zone blitz reads down cold. If the two guys from last year can't get with it, Smith can hold down the fort.

KY, you clearly never watched me in action in high school biology, when Michelle Mclouth would wear a dress and heels to class...

SnakeLH2006
06-13-2009, 01:50 AM
I just a report on the radio that Anthony Smith (guy from Pittsburgh) has a good shot to start at safety.

I hope that was a joke HH. I really do. :shock:

Harlan Huckleby
06-13-2009, 06:01 AM
Don't look up here for a joke, the joke is in your hand.

(classic graffiti above a urinal, in case your education is lacking.)

Bretsky
06-13-2009, 08:22 AM
just a guy

SkinBasket
06-13-2009, 08:54 AM
just a guy

UPGRADE!
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff116/pack4life789/AtariBigby.jpg

Gunakor
06-13-2009, 10:34 AM

I hope that was a joke HH. I really do. :shock:

I should hope Smith has a shot at starting. He's the only safety who came into OTA's with even a clue as to what he was doing or where he was supposed to be. And if Bigby isn't even there practicing, I'd think Smith would be running with the #1 defense by default. No joke. I'm not super thrilled with Smith either, but he's better than any alternatives out there at this time.

If you need a bright side, our other 3 DB's are all Pro Bowlers. So even if our SS isn't playing up to that level, I would think our defensive backfield will be okay. I'm not too worried about it just yet.

HarveyWallbangers
06-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Nick Collins is apparently at practice today.

]{ilr]3
06-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I was watching an NFL replay of the Steelers vs Bengals from the year Carson Palmer got injured in the playoffs.
Dont quote me on the details.....
It was a regular season game and the one thing I remember most was a brutal full speed hit Smith put on Chris Henry causing him to drop what appeared to be a 30 yard completetion.

I hope to see more shots like that this year!

Fritz
06-17-2009, 05:11 PM

Now this is some news.

Yay! Go Nick Collins!

woodbuck27
06-20-2009, 03:42 AM

Now this is some news.

Yay! Go Nick Collins!

Cool.