PDA

View Full Version : Exciting NFC North: So which QB Wins the Most Games in 2009?

SnakeLH2006
06-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Well, this Favre-O-Drama is just getting better and better everyday now. Got plenty of hardcore Pack fan buddies, some Vike fans, and some Bear fans talking bout the madness as everyone seems equally excited about "their" QB's this year. Used to have a Lion fan buddy from Detroit, but he turned his back on his hometown to root for the Raiders the last couple of years. Yea...Really worked out well, eh Tim?

Looks good on paper for all 3 teams, but really what's the deal?

With Favre more than surely coming back again to the Vikes and the Cutler trade to the Bears it sure looks interesting for hardcore fans of all 3 teams in the NFC North, no?

-Arod is the man, and gets Snake's vote as the guy with the stats, youth, and breakout year for not just him, but for the Pack of the 3 teams in 2009. Here's hoping for 10+ wins possibly this year and the crown. A young, strong-armed QB that proved much last year in starting 16 games and having a strong fledgling season as a 1st year starter. He already looks the part of leader without significant questions about his arm, health, experience like a year ago.

-Cutler has NEVER had a winning team in all of college or the pros so far. He has incredible talent, but immaturity, a new system to learn, and a less than stellar supporting offensive crew will be his downfall. That's 2 birds with one stone if Cutler and Da Bears fail. Hopefully an EPIC FAIL. Fuck Da Bears. :D

-Favre...I could care less about the soap opera shit other than the fact it only hurts team unity with the QB's on their team and personell, but face it....dude's gonna be 40 this year coming off a bum arm. I really can't bet against him though as he's had what, 1 losing season in his long ass career as a starter, but looks like the wheels are finally falling off the Iron Man. To his defense, he looks to have a few positives going for him though...Arguably the top D-Line and O-Line in all of football with maybe the best talent in all of football at RB with AP (dude is a beast fosho). New WR's, etc. with the same Offensive packages under D. Bevell he ran in GB, too. The only question is ironic as can the Iron Man hold up, as he broke down last year at 39?

No matter what, Snake is a GB fan 1st and formost, but a NFL fan 2nd. This will be exciting to watch, though, with 3 very good QB's taking charge of 3 potentially great teams if all falls in place. This might be a dogfight as I already got $50 on a bet with my die-hard Bear fan boss that Arod will win more games than Cutler in 2009. Throw Brett in the picture with that loaded Vike team....Who knows? :shock:

NOTE: To try and throw a javelin at subjectivity and homer views....This isn't who's the best QB this year, but who gets the most wins for their team?

Snake's Take:

Snake supports ARod as his vote. Go Pack.
Fuck you Cutler you whiny prick.
And oh yeah, don't get hurt too bad on that turf Bretty! Have fun! But remember that Bradshaw will be giving you commercial break backrubs at FOX and have a job for ya, and you know Strahan will be getting you bottled waters at the snap of finger too. :lol: 8-)

GrnBay007
06-13-2009, 11:31 AM
NFC North will be exciting this season .....with or without Favre playing for the Vikings. Esp. seeing how the new D comes together.

MJZiggy
06-13-2009, 11:41 AM
It most certainly will! Wonder if the Lions will win one this year...?

Fritz
06-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Sure they will. They may well win 4 or 5.

oregonpackfan
06-13-2009, 12:58 PM

I predict 3 wins for the Lions--a big step upwards for them. :roll:

Fritz
06-13-2009, 02:29 PM
If you gave me a choice of Arod, Cutler, Favre, and Stafford, I'd take Arod. If it was 1996, I'd take Favre.

MOBB DEEP
06-13-2009, 04:35 PM
If you gave me a choice of Arod, Cutler, Favre, and Stafford, I'd take Arod. If it was 1996, I'd take Favre.

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

RIPackerFan
06-13-2009, 08:38 PM
I had to go with Favre - but its more based on the team - then anything else. The Vikings have only improved over last year - while I think we may be greatly improved - I see 50% more wins to 9, but not more.....and I think the Vikings win more (with or without Favre).

Pacopete4
06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
I had to go with Favre cuz I love him and he's the most winning QB of all time and Cutler, Arod and Stafford haven't proven to be winning QB's in the NFL yet... soooo Favre it is for me :wink:

Scott Campbell
06-13-2009, 10:04 PM
I had to go with Favre cuz I love him.........

That's sweet. :wink:

Fritz
06-14-2009, 08:59 AM

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

Dude, if you're using the Pro Bowl as a standard of excellence here, you're in trouble. The Pro Bowl - to me - means something more for a guy being chosen the first time. But once a player gets a certain status, he is, as is also true in the baseball all-star game, often chosen again and again not because of his performance but because of his status.

So can have Favre this year if you want him. He's all yours. I suspect that after about half the season you might be crowing about how great he is and how wrong everyone else is, but I also suspect that at season's end you'll be grasping for reasons as to why Favre didn't play as well in the second half as he did in the first.

Other well-respected posters on this site have shown, statistically, that last year's second-half swan dive by Favre was not an aberration but a continuation of a pattern that has been in place for about the last five years.

Rastak
06-14-2009, 02:23 PM

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

Dude, if you're using the Pro Bowl as a standard of excellence here, you're in trouble. The Pro Bowl - to me - means something more for a guy being chosen the first time. But once a player gets a certain status, he is, as is also true in the baseball all-star game, often chosen again and again not because of his performance but because of his status.

So can have Favre this year if you want him. He's all yours. I suspect that after about half the season you might be crowing about how great he is and how wrong everyone else is, but I also suspect that at season's end you'll be grasping for reasons as to why Favre didn't play as well in the second half as he did in the first.

Other well-respected posters on this site have shown, statistically, that last year's second-half swan dive by Favre was not an aberration but a continuation of a pattern that has been in place for about the last five years.

Completely agree Fritz. The swan dive was made worse by injury but he's wearing down. IF he signs with the Vikings and IF they play him in every game they are foolish. Limit his throws with a solid ground game and if he get's dinged up sit his ass, screw the streak. He's old by football standards so he needs to be protected from himself. Can it be done? I have a feeling we're going to find out. Stay tuned!

cpk1994
06-14-2009, 02:52 PM

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

Completely agree Fritz. The swan dive was made worse by injury but he's wearing down. IF he signs with the Vikings and IF they play him in every game they are foolish. Limit his throws with a solid ground game and if he get's dinged up sit his ass, screw the streak. He's old by football standards so he needs to be protected from himself. Can it be done? I have a feeling we're going to find out. Stay tuned!You think Chilly can control him? I don't becuase Chilly doesn't have a set a.k.a. Mike Sherman Syndrome.

Rastak
06-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Not sure cpk. He hasn't been shy about doing unpopular things. The whole Favre hall-of-fame thing might derail him though. I know Frerotte was PISSED when he got benched and Chilly was pretty much "oh well, tough shit for you"

cpk1994
06-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Not sure cpk. He hasn't been shy about doing unpopular things. The whole Favre hall-of-fame thing might derail him though. I know Frerotte was PISSED when he got benched and Chilly was pretty much "oh well, tough shit for you"Easier to deal with a journeyman than Favre. Sherman was that way too. He got tough with guys like Ahman Green. But he was an excuse a minute with Favre.

Rastak
06-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Not sure cpk. He hasn't been shy about doing unpopular things. The whole Favre hall-of-fame thing might derail him though. I know Frerotte was PISSED when he got benched and Chilly was pretty much "oh well, tough shit for you"Easier to deal with a journeyman than Favre. Sherman was that way too. He got tough with guys like Ahman Green. But he was an excuse a minute with Favre.

Agreed.

Pacopete4
06-14-2009, 03:37 PM

Favre during the Sherman era:

Averaged 27 TD's while thowing 19 INT's a season with that being pretty high because of the 27 INT season... also avg. 3787 yards a season with a 62.1% completion percentage.... I think Sherman as a coach was a lot than most here would give him credit for... just because he was a stinky GM

cpk1994
06-14-2009, 03:43 PM

Favre during the Sherman era:

Averaged 27 TD's while thowing 19 INT's a season with that being pretty high because of the 27 INT season... also avg. 3787 yards a season with a 62.1% completion percentage.... I think Sherman as a coach was a lot than most here would give him credit for... just because he was a stinky GMYou are totally missing the point. Sherman constantly made excuses for anything FAvre did wrong like "Well, the ball slipped out of his hands", "Well you know he has a thumb injury", "WR ran the wrong route"or flt out refusing to do anything about Favre's mounting INT's during his last season as coach. Sherman lacked a set of balls where Favre was concernecd Sherman was a big enabler of what Favre has now become, a self centered prima donna drama queen who has to have everything centered around him and be put above the team he is playing for.

Fred's Slacks
06-14-2009, 05:33 PM
I so badly wanted to vote for Arod. I just think MN is going to be scary this year. Even if Harvin doesn't pan out they will still be very good on offense and I don't think age has caught up to their defense yet either.

I am very hopeful that we will be right in it though if we stay healthy. I know we were better then our record indicated last year, even with the injuries. I just think we have a few more question marks than MN right now, especially if they add Favre (which is a virtual certainty now).

It's going to be an interesting year. If we were voting for best QB in the division, Id give Arod the homer edge over Cutler. But homerism aside, I'd say at this time, Favre will have the best record. Hopefully Mr Capers and Mr Raji change my mind, but not quite yet.

MJZiggy
06-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I so badly wanted to vote for Arod. I just think MN is going to be scary this year. Even if Harvin doesn't pan out they will still be very good on offense and I don't think age has caught up to their defense yet either.

I am very hopeful that we will be right in it though if we stay healthy. I know we were better then our record indicated last year, even with the injuries. I just think we have a few more question marks than MN right now, especially if they add Favre (which is a virtual certainty now).

It's going to be an interesting year. If we were voting for best QB in the division, Id give Arod the homer edge over Cutler. But homerism aside, I'd say at this time, Favre will have the best record. Hopefully Mr Capers and Mr Raji change my mind, but not quite yet.

Do you still feel that way about the Vike defense if the Williams boys get suspended? Can they do it without them?

SnakeLH2006
06-14-2009, 06:46 PM

Do you still feel that way about the Vike defense if the Williams boys get suspended? Can they do it without them?

Won't it only be a 4 game suspension? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Back to topic though, I'm shocked that Cutler and the Bears garnered the same 2% of the votes so far as Stafford and the Lions?? :shock:

Personally, I think it's really gonna come down to coaching and injuries this year for the Pack, Bears, and Vikes.

-The Pack must stay healthy with it's D, as Arod will be fine at QB. MM needs to be better.
-The Vikes must stay healthy on D. Chilly really needs to be better. The Favre thing is prob. moot as it's doubtful he'll be healthy all year at this point. ESPN had a graphic on the final 7 games of 2008. TJack had a far better win % and QB rating than Favre (battling fatigue, arm issues).
-The Bears really gotta hope Cutler is all that and can bond with his teammates, but I really can't get over Lurker's analysis on a different thread showing that through Cutler's college and NFL career as a starter, he's never had a winning season. That cannot be disputed, nor the fact, that Bears and great QB's is not synonomous.

Joemailman
06-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Me too, since the other guys would still be in grade school.

RashanGary
06-16-2009, 06:42 AM
The NFC North is going to be a battle. The Bears got better by giving up future picks and developmental guys to get a guy right now.

The Vikings lost Sharper and Birk. You wonder how much longer fat can be effective or even healthy at age 35. They did add a legit QB in Favre.

The Packers have one of the most successful first year QB's ever entering his second season starting. They have a couple young OL that have promise that could help the running game. They brought in Raji, got Jenkins back healthy after a year off and possibly get a bonus lineman if Harrell pans out so their DL looks to be deeper and stronger than a year ago. They have a D coordinator with a proven track record of quick turn arounds.

The Lions are going young, should be better but should still stink.

The top 3 teams are going to battle it out until the end IMO. I'll place my vote after 4 preseason games, after I see how the defense is shaping up, after I see how the RT situation is settled.

Gunakor
06-16-2009, 11:03 AM
The top 3 teams are going to battle it out until the end IMO.

The North is likely going to get one of the Wild Cards this year, and there will probably still be a team from the North deserving of one that gets left out. There is a real possibility that our divison produces three 10 win teams this year. The East will likely produce at least 2. Someone is going to be disappointed come January.

This is going to be an exciting season :D

Fritz
06-16-2009, 11:15 AM

Exactly!

HarveyWallbangers
06-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Kind of interesting.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-12-64/Projecting-Favre-s-impact.html

The quantitative answer is a bit more complex. ESPN Research recently commissioned a statistical simulation of the NFC North from AccuScore, a company that -- in the interest of full disclosure -- uses computer-generated results to predict NFL games for ESPN.com and also provides advice for gamblers and fantasy football players.

AccuScore develops about 100 variables to create profiles for every NFL coach and player. Examples of coaching variables include a coach's play-calling tendencies in certain situations: first-and-10, third-and-long and in the red zone. For a player, AccuScore develops a profile based on his historical performance in various situations: grass fields, turf fields, division games, against Cover 2 defenses and the like.

The digital profiles of each player and coach are combined to form a digital team, and a computer program then plays out a season based on the team's actual schedule.

"Kind of like Madden without the graphics," Oh said. The process is repeated 10,000 times for each team to allow variables to play out randomly. The NFC North standings above are the averaged results of the 10,000 "seasons."

This is by no means a perfect system. Using the same method last year, AccuScore correctly predicted five of the eight division winners. They were wrong on the AFC South, where they had Indianapolis as the champion, the NFC East (Dallas) and AFC East (New England). It's worth noting all three teams finished 2008 with winning records.

Vikings Without Favre

Green Bay - 9.6 wins
Minnesota - 9.5 wins
Chicago - 9.5 wins
Detroit - 3.4 wins

Vikings With Favre

Minnesota - 10.2 wins
Green Bay - 9.8 wins
Chicago - 9.4 wins
Detroit - 3.3 wins

sheepshead
06-16-2009, 05:28 PM

:lol:

SnakeLH2006
06-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Kind of interesting.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-12-64/Projecting-Favre-s-impact.html

The quantitative answer is a bit more complex. ESPN Research recently commissioned a statistical simulation of the NFC North from AccuScore, a company that -- in the interest of full disclosure -- uses computer-generated results to predict NFL games for ESPN.com and also provides advice for gamblers and fantasy football players.

AccuScore develops about 100 variables to create profiles for every NFL coach and player. Examples of coaching variables include a coach's play-calling tendencies in certain situations: first-and-10, third-and-long and in the red zone. For a player, AccuScore develops a profile based on his historical performance in various situations: grass fields, turf fields, division games, against Cover 2 defenses and the like.

The digital profiles of each player and coach are combined to form a digital team, and a computer program then plays out a season based on the team's actual schedule.

"Kind of like Madden without the graphics," Oh said. The process is repeated 10,000 times for each team to allow variables to play out randomly. The NFC North standings above are the averaged results of the 10,000 "seasons."

This is by no means a perfect system. Using the same method last year, AccuScore correctly predicted five of the eight division winners. They were wrong on the AFC South, where they had Indianapolis as the champion, the NFC East (Dallas) and AFC East (New England). It's worth noting all three teams finished 2008 with winning records.

Vikings Without Favre

Green Bay - 9.6 wins
Minnesota - 9.5 wins
Chicago - 9.5 wins
Detroit - 3.4 wins

Vikings With Favre

Minnesota - 10.2 wins
Green Bay - 9.8 wins
Chicago - 9.4 wins
Detroit - 3.3 wins

That's pretty interesting as stats are predictable to a point. Personally, I don't care if Brett comes back, cuz at 40 he's not the difference maker anymore. Either way, that's about how I looked at it. Prob. 3 teams all about 9-10 wins with the Pack, Bears, Vikes.

But, I slide the Bears to the backside based on their inferior overall talent to the Pack/Vikes on paper. Cutler needs to shed his "losing" streak and lead this team, else it will be 2 teams with 10-12 wins in the Pack/Vikes. Cutler is the wildcard. Talent/stats don't mean shit when you can't EVER will your team to winning record EVER in college or the pros. Suck on that Bear fans. :x

But, we know Bear fans not just on PR but in real life, they only appear in bunches with repugnant, facetious lies when something comes up to gloat apon...don't (but hoped for) expect the 2 retarded Bear posters to show up for this one (and boy those 2 PR Bear posters are really, really bad). I used to have a redneck Bears fan buddy who was the craziest, violent redneck you'd ever know, but the epitomy of a Bears fan, not knowing shit (dude pulled a shotgun on Snake a few years ago, after I intervened at a afterbar when he slapped his pregnant g-friend in front of Snake). :roll:

Fritz
06-17-2009, 11:50 AM
How cool is that? The Vikings, with Favre, gain .7 of a win - and the Packers gain .2!

MOBB DEEP
06-20-2009, 08:53 PM

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

u made some good points and i admit that when i went to the phins v jets game in week 17 i couldnt bliev how bad he looked....cats were open all over the field but he couldnt get the ball to them

but lets not discount what he did throughout the ENTIRE season; all those incredible wins wernt a fluke, thus the pro bowl...and PLEASE dont forget HE WAS INJURED, therfore he had a rare surgery...not sure why ppl here discount that as a key reason for the "swan dive"

...i dont think he was selected merely b/c of name but thats my biased opinion i guess huh?!

MOBB DEEP
06-20-2009, 08:59 PM

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

Completely agree Fritz. The swan dive was made worse by injury but he's wearing down. IF he signs with the Vikings and IF they play him in every game they are foolish. Limit his throws with a solid ground game and if he get's dinged up sit his ass, screw the streak. He's old by football standards so he needs to be protected from himself. Can it be done? I have a feeling we're going to find out. Stay tuned!

u dont deserve favre if ure talkn like that....randall had a rebirth there and u're dissn favre, best QB ever?

dont wana hear u lauding favre this season like all the jets fan were last season pal! guess u prefer sage huh?!

u need to get on the favre bandwagon and njoy the ride

MOBB DEEP
06-20-2009, 09:00 PM

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

Completely agree Fritz. The swan dive was made worse by injury but he's wearing down. IF he signs with the Vikings and IF they play him in every game they are foolish. Limit his throws with a solid ground game and if he get's dinged up sit his ass, screw the streak. He's old by football standards so he needs to be protected from himself. Can it be done? I have a feeling we're going to find out. Stay tuned!You think Chilly can control him? I don't becuase Chilly doesn't have a set a.k.a. Mike Sherman Syndrome.

LOL

MOBB DEEP
06-20-2009, 09:04 PM

vikes sept sched is cake save for pakers in game 4, so williams boys wont be missed too much

they got 49ers, lions and rams i believe

woodbuck27
06-21-2009, 07:50 AM

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

Brett Favre. 3 Time NFL MVP 1996-98.

Brett Favre. Pro Bowler 2007 - Green Bay Packers. ( 13 wins )

Brett FAVRE. - Pro Bowler 2008 - New York Jets (** 9 wins)

** New York Jets had 4 wins in 2007.

Minnesota Vikings 2008 NFCN Champions.

Will Brett Favre play again? If he comes back with the Vikings then I expect a very exciting season in the NFCN. Common sense dictates. With Brett Favre behind center with the Vikings they will be favoured to win the NFCN.

GO PACKERS!

Scott Campbell
06-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Brett Favre got his coach fired in 2 out of the last 4 seasons. Can he make it 3 out of 5?

woodbuck27
06-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Brett Favre got his coach fired in 2 out of the last 4 seasons. Can he make it 3 out of 5?

Now Scott get some cornflakes into you please :lol: . That post reveals alot. Not alot of that is described as good sense.

Scott Campbell
06-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Now Scott get some cornflakes into you please :lol: .

I'm not yet old enough to need a ruffage strategy.

woodbuck27
06-21-2009, 08:46 AM

Now Scott get some cornflakes into you please :lol: .

I'm not yet old enough to need a ruffage strategy.

WOW! Wide open there Scott. Bring up those hands. :D

MJZiggy
06-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Now Scott get some cornflakes into you please :lol: . That post reveals alot. Not alot of that is described as good sense.

What exactly is nonsensical about that post? If Favre doesn't do well, Chilly is looking for a job. What is the threshold for "coach killer" status anyway?

DannoMac21
06-21-2009, 01:29 PM

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

Especially with the fact that he made it over Philip Rivers...

DannoMac21
06-21-2009, 01:32 PM

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

u dont deserve favre if ure talkn like that....randall had a rebirth there and u're dissn favre, best QB ever?

dont wana hear u lauding favre this season like all the jets fan were last season pal! guess u prefer sage huh?!

Hahaha holy shit dude. I mean I knew you were creepily obsessed with the guy, but now you're his safekeeper?! "YOU DON'T DESERVE BRETT!!" What the fuck?! You, my friend, are super fucked up, and need to get your head out of your as-...Favre's ass. It's so far up there you're talking for the guy now. I shudder to think what you would do if Favre came to your house and asked you to give him head.

MJZiggy
06-21-2009, 01:37 PM
the line >| you.

woodbuck27
06-22-2009, 03:47 PM

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

Hahaha holy shit dude. I mean I knew you were creepily obsessed with the guy, but now you're his safekeeper?! "YOU DON'T DESERVE BRETT!!" What the fuck?! You, my friend, are super fucked up, and need to get your head out of your as-...Favre's ass. It's so far up there you're talking for the guy now. I shudder to think what you would do if Favre came to your house and asked you to give him head.

Holy Cow! :D

Is it safe to assume that:

You DannoMac21 don't like Brett Favre?

Packers4Ever
06-22-2009, 09:18 PM

I predict 3 wins for the Lions--a big step upwards for them. :roll:

Gotta be more like 5 -11 wouldn't you say? :lol:

MOBB DEEP
06-22-2009, 10:00 PM

mvp 1996

pro bowler 2009!

DAYUM, u came hard with that one

granted it was a lil over the top; but i did apologize to Ras on another thread for the harsh tone

u took it a lil out of context tho

Pugger
06-23-2009, 02:43 PM
If BF plays like he has in recent years in big games this coming season for the queens we should be sitting pretty. MN needs a QB that can manage a game and hand it off to AP. I wonder how long it will take for BF to audible away from that and throw the ball up for grabs yet again? Favre is known for getting slightly :wink: geeked up for big games = playing poorly. THIS is why I think he's gonna run into problems playing against us, if indeed he dons that horrid purple jersey!! :P

SnakeLH2006
06-26-2009, 01:14 AM
This was/is kinda the whole point of the thread....3 pretty good QB's with 3 pretty good teams. All will be interesting, but esp. in Minn. Who knows what will happen there? The only constant is Arod is onto year 2 coming off a very good stat season with GB. Cutler is a ? So is Brettie...