PDA

View Full Version : A team with a bad general manager

Lurker64
06-16-2009, 04:03 PM
What the hell is going on in Denver?

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/16/report-broncos-agree-to-trade-marshall/

Seriously, are they trying to destroy that team? If I was Ted Thompson, I would be calling them up dangling a 2010 2nd round pick for the rights to Knowshon ;) .

bbbffl66
06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I can almost see TT making another draft pick trade! And the Cubs winning the Series. And peace in the Middle East. :roll:

Patler
06-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Well, if he isn't traded to GB, I hope he stays out of the NFC North!

falco
06-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Maybe we could trade and get Kenny Peterson back. Dude won the state championship in high school, the national championship in college, and thus is destined to win a super bowl and complete the trifecta.

cpk1994
06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
I thought this was another thread about Matt Millen until I remembered he actually got fired.

Brando19
06-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I've heard ALOT of speculation on Sirius radio that he's going to Baltimore and it's going to be announced soon.

Fritz
06-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I wonder if Chicago is thinking about getting in the game. How was the Marshall/Cutler relationship?

And if Favre goes to Minny, could he lobby for the Wilfs to trade for Marshall?

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 12:28 PM
I wonder if Chicago is thinking about getting in the game. How was the Marshall/Cutler relationship?

They (Vikings or Bears) can have him, and Pacman Jones, and Michael Vick, and every other distraction in the NFL for all I care.

I don't know how likely a reunion between the two in Chicago is. Didn't Cutler publicly call Marshall out through the media for being a dumbass last offseason?

Chevelle2
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I honestly think we should inquire. We won't of course, but this is the 2nd most talented receiver in the game.

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I honestly think we should inquire. We won't of course, but this is the 2nd most talented receiver in the game.

Our WR corps does not need upgrading, and once Jennings gets his extension we won't have any money available to upgrade our WR's anyway. Figure Driver's gonna be here at least 2 more years (maybe longer, could be as many as 5) @ approx. 7 million per. Jennings will be very close to that salary as well. Marshall's gonna want a bigger paycheck too, and we won't be able to give it to him.

Besides, I really disagree that Marshall is the second most talented WR in the game. He might only be the second most talented WR on our roster should we sign him. Not to mention that Driver would be incredibly put off by it, likely seeing the move as the next step twoard his own release. It could get ugly. No need.

SkinBasket
06-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Not to mention that Driver would be incredibly put off by it, likely seeing the move as the next step twoard his own release. It could get ugly. No need.

Donald Driver can go fuck himself. I appreciate his years of service, but he's kind of used up now.

I would rather we keep what we got than trade for a selfish toad like Marshall.

Lurker64
06-17-2009, 01:46 PM
The thing that confuses me about Denver here is that Marshall has no leverage, almost none whatsoever. In addition to fines incurred by not reporting to Broncos camp, if he doesn't report 30 days before the beginning of the season he forfeits a year of service which would prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent next year. Add that to the fact that if there's no CBA in place before the 2010 season, he won't be an unrestricted free agent anyway.

Plus, unlike Cutler, Marshall is a WR not a QB and malcontent WRs that want new contracts or want to be traded are endemic, and generally fail to get what they want.

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Not to mention that Driver would be incredibly put off by it, likely seeing the move as the next step twoard his own release. It could get ugly. No need.

Donald Driver can go fuck himself. I appreciate his years of service, but he's kind of used up now.

I would rather we keep what we got than trade for a selfish toad like Marshall.

I'm confused....

What are you saying here? Fuck Marshall if he's a Packer, fuck Driver if Marshall isn't a Packer?

I'd rather keep what we have than trade for Marshall as well, but I firmly believe that Driver will be part of what we have for at least 2 or 3 more seasons. I'd rather he didn't go fuck himself. That would be bad.

The whole issue is moot unless Marshall is brought in anyway.

sharpe1027
06-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Our WR corps does not need upgrading, and once Jennings gets his extension we won't have any money available to upgrade our WR's anyway. Figure Driver's gonna be here at least 2 more years (maybe longer, could be as many as 5) @ approx. 7 million per. Jennings will be very close to that salary as well. Marshall's gonna want a bigger paycheck too, and we won't be able to give it to him.

Besides, I really disagree that Marshall is the second most talented WR in the game. He might only be the second most talented WR on our roster should we sign him. Not to mention that Driver would be incredibly put off by it, likely seeing the move as the next step twoard his own release. It could get ugly. No need.

TT disagrees with you on many of your points because he went after Moss with basically the same WRs already in place (minus Jordy, but with a slightly younger Driver). So he doesn't see a problem with trying to upgrade our WR corps and he didn't seem to worry about Driver's feelings.

Fritz
06-17-2009, 05:08 PM

TT disagrees with you on many of your points because he went after Moss with basically the same WRs already in place (minus Jordy, but with a slightly younger Driver). So he doesn't see a problem with trying to upgrade our WR corps and he didn't seem to worry about Driver's feelings.

Ah, but perhaps he did. According to Randy Moss - I just looked this up the other day - Green Bay called to inquire about restructuring his contract if they acquired him, and what turned Moss off was that the team talked about "the wrong things," one of those being that the team wanted Moss to know that DD was and would continue to be the #1 receiver on the team...

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 05:14 PM

Check your timetable. The Moss negotiations happened before we had James Jones or Greg Jennings either. The pick we had offered to Oakland for Moss was a pick in the draft in which we drafted Jennings. The only two WR's currently on our roster that were here when those negotiations were taking place are Donald Driver and Ruvell Martin. The other guys here at the time were Taco Wallace, Robert Ferguson, Carlyle Holiday, etc.

cpk1994
06-17-2009, 05:40 PM

TT disagrees with you on many of your points because he went after Moss with basically the same WRs already in place (minus Jordy, but with a slightly younger Driver). So he doesn't see a problem with trying to upgrade our WR corps and he didn't seem to worry about Driver's feelings.And you can say minus Jennings. He was draafted the day Moss was ultimatley traded. There is a big differnce between Jennings now and Jennings then.

Pacopete4
06-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Check your timetable. The Moss negotiations happened before we had James Jones or Greg Jennings either. The pick we had offered to Oakland for Moss was a pick in the draft in which we drafted Jennings. The only two WR's currently on our roster that were here when those negotiations were taking place are Donald Driver and Ruvell Martin. The other guys here at the time were Taco Wallace, Robert Ferguson, Carlyle Holiday, etc.

geesh.. i cannot possibly see a reason why Favre would be so upset for not going after Moss harder than what they did.... :bs:

cpk1994
06-17-2009, 05:46 PM

geesh.. i cannot possibly see a reason why Favre would be so upset for not going after Moss harder than what they did.... :bs:Being upset for not getting Moss? fine. Acting like a 4 year old and throwing a temper tantrum about it? Not fine. Unprofessional in fact.

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 05:57 PM

geesh.. i cannot possibly see a reason why Favre would be so upset for not going after Moss harder than what they did.... :bs:

Gee, I cannot possibly see a reason why that would matter anyway. Favre being upset does not mean the GM has to give him what he wants. That's beside the point. We were talking about Thompson, not Favre.

Is our WR corps right now, today, better or worse than it was when the Moss negotiations took place? Better you say? Then why does it matter whether the name on the back of the jersey reads Moss or Jennings? Thompson got the job done, just not the way Favre wanted. Boo fucking hoo.

Scott Campbell
06-17-2009, 06:23 PM

And I say BFD. Favre was not the GM of the team, and should shut up and play.

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 07:51 PM

My mistake, this was the year Jones was drafted. Same basic message applies, however. Ferguson was still a Packer, and our WR's weren't even basically the same.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-17-2009, 07:52 PM

If we have DD on the roster in 5 years at 7 million, either the salary cap is gonna be 200 million or we are fucked.

DD ain't making 7 mill right now...$4.9 million in '08 and $5.9 million in '09..that figure includes roster bonuses.

He'll be 35 going into 10, and if the picks we have pan out...shouldn't be better than the #4 receiver.

DD's numbers have declined the past years...he is declining, and now that brett is gone....he no longer benefits from their long relationship.

DD's days in GB are numbered, enjoy him while you can.

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 07:56 PM

If we have DD on the roster in 5 years at 7 million, either the salary cap is gonna be 200 million or we are fucked.

DD ain't making 7 mill right now...$4.9 million in '08 and $5.9 million in '09..that figure includes roster bonuses.

He'll be 35 going into 10, and if the picks we have pan out...shouldn't be better than the #4 receiver.

DD's numbers have declined the past years...he is declining, and now that brett is gone....he no longer benefits from their long relationship.

Before asking Thompson to redo his contract recently, and negotiations were reportedly taking place, he publicly stated last winter that he'd like to play at least 5 more years. He also wants more money. I think the two are related, Driver is going to get his money and his extension, and that's what they are working on right now. Just a guess, but it makes sense.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-17-2009, 08:18 PM

Before asking Thompson to redo his contract recently, and negotiations were reportedly taking place, he publicly stated last winter that he'd like to play at least 5 more years. He also wants more money. I think the two are related, Driver is going to get his money and his extension, and that's what they are working on right now. Just a guess, but it makes sense.

If TT extends him at 7 mill, I will officially join Paco as a hater. Your choice, a declining DD or Ty joining Paco. Pick your poison.

I know what DD wants, but he ain't gonna get it. TT is far to smart for that. DD wants the extension and money cause he sees the writing on the wall..jordy and jones, one injury away from never playing in GB again, and his declining skills.

Where do you evidence they are working on an extension?

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Reported on ESPN a few weeks ago. Haven't heard anything since, just that they were working on something. Don't have any idea what that something is, just basing my thoughts on comments Driver has made about wanting more money and his desire to play 5 more years.

cpk1994
06-17-2009, 08:47 PM
If TT extends him at 7 mill, I will officially join Paco as a hater. Your choice, a declining DD or Ty joining Paco. Pick your poison.

I know what DD wants, but he ain't gonna get it. TT is far to smart for that. DD wants the extension and money cause he sees the writing on the wall..jordy and jones, one injury away from never playing in GB again, and his declining skills.

Where do you evidence they are working on an extension?I thinjk you are going to see a fairly front-loaded deal. Driver gets most of his money now and then it will cost the Packers less later.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-17-2009, 08:51 PM

Where do you evidence they are working on an extension?I thinjk you are going to see a fairly front-loaded deal. Driver gets most of his money now and then it will cost the Packers less later.

AT 7 million?

Hope the forum is ready for me and paco joining forces. It will be like ammonia and bleach!

cpk1994
06-17-2009, 08:56 PM

AT 7 million?

Hope the forum is ready for me and paco joining forces. It will be like ammonia and bleach!No, what I am saying is you give him most of his money this year and from that point you pay him at most what he is making now.

Joemailman
06-17-2009, 08:58 PM

Reported on ESPN a few weeks ago.

Not only that, but a well regarded source of mine assured me that Driver will get an extension.
http://www.populationstatistic.com/images/misscleo.jpg

cpk1994
06-17-2009, 09:01 PM

Reported on ESPN a few weeks ago.

Not only that, but a well regarded source of mine assured me that Driver will get an extension.
http://www.populationstatistic.com/images/misscleo.jpgHopefully they arern't ESPN's sources on Favre. :lol:

Guiness
06-18-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm disappointed in this thread. I was hopping it was going to be more like answers to the question...

A team with a bad general manager is like...(fill in the blank)

-a pimp without hookers?
-Ty without crack?
-packerrats without Mad? 8-(

Fritz
06-18-2009, 02:14 PM
A bad general manager is like...

Tyrone joining forces with Paco.

The Shadow
06-18-2009, 02:17 PM
A bad general manager allows players to dictate team decisions.

Fritz
06-18-2009, 02:23 PM
A bad general manager has a name like "Matt Millen."

Gunakor
06-18-2009, 02:43 PM
A bad general manager has a name like "Matt Millen."

Or "Mike Sherman."

Tyrone Bigguns
06-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Ty likes to think of that pairing as A.J. Liebling and Stephen A. Smith.

In this scenario, ty is the white guy.

Scott Campbell
06-18-2009, 06:20 PM

How bout this scenario - are you Lloyd or Harry?

http://thetrotblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/dumb_and_dumber.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
06-18-2009, 06:24 PM

How bout this scenario - are you Lloyd or Harry?

http://thetrotblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/dumb_and_dumber.jpg

Disappointed in you...that was so obvious.

I'll be daniels...better actor.

Scott Campbell
06-18-2009, 06:28 PM

Fitting - he didn't get the girl. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
06-18-2009, 06:41 PM

Fitting - he didn't get the girl. :lol:

Umm, you have a problem recalling the movie. Neither gets the girl. Mary reunites with her husband. :oops:

It ends with them turning down a busload of hawaiian tropic girls.

Please don't force me to go over plot lines again.

P.S. Daniels got the girl...married to his high school sweetheart, 3 kids...lives in michigan..and gets to do those cool ass "Michigan Economic Development Corporation " biz commercials. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fritz
06-18-2009, 06:42 PM
He does seem a pretty good guy, by the accounts I've heard. I believe he's one of the movers in the attempt to bring a little of the film industry to Michigan. Neat little theater he has, too, in Chelsea.

And I'm with Ty: better actor than Jim Carrey.

Dabaddestbear
06-18-2009, 06:52 PM

I doubt it. This guy is worse than T.O.
Marshall is one domestic battery away from getting jail time.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-18-2009, 06:53 PM
He does seem a pretty good guy, by the accounts I've heard. I believe he's one of the movers in the attempt to bring a little of the film industry to Michigan. Neat little theater he has, too, in Chelsea.

And I'm with Ty: better actor than Jim Carrey.

Yeah, he is one of the good guys.

Actor: there isn't even a comparison. He has been on stage and screen, directed, and written plays. He also has i think 2 albums out as well.

Tony award, golden globe, and oscar nominee.

Awesome as the blind friend in THe Lookout and as the dad in The Squid and the Whale..recent films.

Dabaddestbear
06-18-2009, 06:57 PM

They (Vikings or Bears) can have him, and Pacman Jones, and Michael Vick, and every other distraction in the NFL for all I care.

I don't know how likely a reunion between the two in Chicago is. Didn't Cutler publicly call Marshall out through the media for being a dumbass last offseason?
Actually he tried to reach him on his cell phone about some stuff he was facing in regards to beating up his girlfriend, but Marshall didnt accpet his calls. When it got out to the media Marshall had a slick remark to say about Cutler . So it was the othger way around. Bears fans would rather have Buress than the habitual woman beater. At least Buress just likes to harm himself, not the ladies.. :wink:

woodbuck27
06-20-2009, 03:25 AM

Ah, but perhaps he did. According to Randy Moss - I just looked this up the other day - Green Bay called to inquire about restructuring his contract if they acquired him, and what turned Moss off was that the team talked about "the wrong things," one of those being that the team wanted Moss to know that DD was and would continue to be the #1 receiver on the team...

Talent exempted 'of course'.

Gunakor
06-20-2009, 09:42 AM

Talent exempted 'of course'.

Should he have gotten an exemption for his attitude as well? Mr. "Ill play when I wanna play," Mr. "Nobody else cares about winning, why should I" had no business walking into OUR locker room under the assumption that he was going to be "the guy." I could give a rats ass about his talent - we have plenty of very talented guys not named Moss. What we don't have is an attitude like Moss.

Yes, I realize he's become a different player after going to New England. But he didn't become that player until he got there, so how was Ted supposed to know him as anything but a selfish fuck back in 2006? He was a turd, and I never wanted him here in the first place. I have good reason for feeling that way, but that's just me I guess.