PDA

View Full Version : Packers sign 3 draft picks

packrulz
06-17-2009, 05:41 AM
They also signed free agent TE Devin Frischknecht!
Three draft picks sign; no talks with Raji, Matthews yet
By Tom Pelissero • tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com • June 16, 2009

The Green Bay Packers have yet to begin contract talks with first-round picks B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews, but the process of signing their eight-man draft class is under way.

The team on Tuesday announced the signings of end Jarius Wynn, cornerback Brandon Underwood and outside linebacker Brad Jones, its bottom three selections in April’s NFL draft.

The Packers did not announce terms, but all three players are believed to have signed four-year deals with minimum base salaries. According to NFL sources, Wynn (sixth round, 182nd overall) received a signing bonus of between $105,000 and $110,000, while Underwood (sixth, 187th) received a signing bonus of $102,200. Jones (seventh, 218th) is believed to have signed for around $60,000.

Next come negotiations with mid-round picks T.J. Lang, Quinn Johnson and Jamon Meredith. Then, Packers negotiator Russ Ball will focus on his toughest task: getting Raji and Matthews under contract before training camp begins on Aug. 1.

Between them, Raji and Matthews stand to receive well more than $20 million in guarantees and eat up a large chunk of the $5,443,396 the NFL has allotted the Packers for signing rookies.

Two of General Manager Ted Thompson’s previous three first-round picks, quarterback Aaron Rodgers in 2005 and linebacker A.J. Hawk in 2006, missed a day of full-squad workouts while waiting for their contracts to be finalized. But Thompson said on Tuesday he is optimistic Raji and Matthews will be in camp on time.

“They’re a little bit more complicated — first-round picks tend to take a little bit more time,” Thompson said in a phone call before the three signings were announced.

“But I don’t know that it’s over and above challenging. Last year, we had three twos (second-round picks) as opposed to two ones this year. I think it’s a horse apiece. The agents negotiate for the player, and we negotiate for the club, and we normally find a happy meeting ground.”

Raji and Matthews have the same agent, Dave Dunn of Athletes First, who said in an e-mail on Tuesday talks have not begun. That’s no surprise, since most teams negotiate with lower-round selections first and top picks commonly sign just before training camp begins, if not after.

As of early Tuesday evening, the only first-round picks who had signed were quarterbacks Matthew Stafford — the No. 1 overall pick who received $41.7 million guaranteed on a six-year deal before the draft — and Mark Sanchez of the New York Jets (No. 5, five years, $60 million, $28 million guaranteed).

All of the Packers’ draft picks the past two years have been in camp before the first practice. Defensive tackle Justin Harrell signed on the eve of camp in 2007, and the Packers didn’t have a first-round selection last year, when quarterback Brian Brohm was the last player to sign.

“We work at it,” Thompson said of getting deals done on time. “Our philosophy is we’re not going to try to win any of the deals — we just want to be fair and show it’s fair for both sides.”

Raji, the Boston College nose tackle drafted ninth overall, is in line for one of the richest rookie contracts in Packers history. Last year’s No. 9 pick, linebacker Keith Rivers, signed with the Cincinnati Bengals for six years and $23 million, with $15.6 million guaranteed. That’s roughly the same amount of guarantees Hawk, who was drafted fifth overall, received on his record six-year, $35 million deal in July 2006.

Matthews, the outside linebacker out of Southern California, was the 26th overall pick. The player taken in that slot last year, tackle Duane Brown, received a five-year, $9.1 million deal from the Houston Texans that included $6.2 million in guarantees.

Though players drafted in the top half of the first round are eligible for six-year deals, all but four of last year’s top 16 picks signed five-year pacts. Players drafted between picks 17 and 32 are eligible for five-year deals, while all other drafted players sign for four years or less.

The Packers’ entering player pool is their largest since 2006, when they had an NFL-high $6.647 million to sign 12 draft picks, including Hawk. Intended to “slot” signings based on draft position, a team’s pool number must fit all salaries for drafted rookies, as well as prorated signing bonuses for drafted and undrafted rookies. It can be more complicated with first-round picks, who often receive initial signing bonuses, too.

However, many teams work around the limit with escalators, option bonuses due at the end of a player’s first year and one-time incentives. Hawk, for instance, received a guaranteed option bonus worth $11,856,250 after his rookie season.

One complicating factor Ball must deal with this year is the accounting changes brought on by the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement, which will lead to a 2010 season without a salary cap if a new deal isn’t struck by the start of the next league year. The Packers have contingency plans in place for both scenarios, but Thompson acknowledged the uncertainty poses challenges.

“People like, in my position, we like to know things in concrete, and that’s not concrete,” Thompson said. “That’s always a question mark out there.”

Etc.: The Packers announced two other roster moves. They released first-year cornerback Joshua Abrams and signed tight end Devin Frischknecht, a 6-foot-3, 258-pound rookie from Washington State.

Fritz
06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Let the signings begin.

Didn't Corey Rodgers or some other fourth round pick sign really late or almost hold out one year?

I think it'd be kinda funny if a sixth round pick held out.

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Why is it that Eric Arnett can be inked to a contract just days after the MLB draft, yet the top prospects in the NFL draft don't usually get signed until months afterwards?

Patler
06-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Why is it that Eric Arnett can be inked to a contract just days after the MLB draft, yet the top prospects in the NFL draft don't usually get signed until months afterwards?

Maybe so that Arnett can report immediately to a minor league team and begin playing, getting his pro career underway. Arnett can waste a season if he delays too long.

Nothing much changes for the NFL rookie who signs in May or June. Signing in May, June or the end of July, no incentive until TC is close.

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM

Maybe so that Arnett can report immediately to a minor league team and begin playing, getting his pro career underway. Arnett can waste a season if he delays too long.

Nothing much changes for the NFL rookie who signs in June. Signing in June or the end of July, no incentive until TC is close.

What about the team activities occuring before July? Are the rookies allowed to participate if not signed?

Patler
06-17-2009, 01:23 PM
What about the team activities occuring before July? Are the rookies allowed to participate if not signed?

Yes, they can. They are in GB right now at OTAs. The higher draft picks sometimes get insurance policies. Some of the rookies miss camps in June if their school is still in session. The NFL has an understanding that rookies can attend only one camp until school is out.

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 01:57 PM
I see. It makes little sense then, as I don't see the incentive in waiting until TC to sign if they are participating in OTA's unsigned. In fact, I see it as a potential disaster for them. If they are allowed to participate, it seems it would be in their best interest to sign as quickly as possible in case something happens. Once they sign the contract, the guaranteed money guaranteed. Even if they get injured before camp starts, as long as there is a signed contract. Why wait?

Patler
06-17-2009, 02:17 PM
I see. It makes little sense then, as I don't see the incentive in waiting until TC to sign if they are participating in OTA's unsigned. In fact, I see it as a potential disaster for them. If they are allowed to participate, it seems it would be in their best interest to sign as quickly as possible in case something happens. Once they sign the contract, the guaranteed money guaranteed. Even if they get injured before camp starts, as long as there is a signed contract. Why wait?

On the other hand, there are reasons for the team to hang on to a few million dollars for an extra 2-3 months if they can.

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 02:44 PM
On the other hand, there are reasons for the team to hang on to a few million dollars for an extra 2-3 months if they can.

But they are intending to spend that money on the players they draft. And especially as far as first rounders are concerned, aren't their rookie salaries generally predetermined based on draft position anyway? I guess it would make sense if there were a better use for that money over the summer, but since they wouldn't spend it until a contract was signed anyway, what does the team have to gain by waiting?

mission
06-17-2009, 02:54 PM

But they are intending to spend that money on the players they draft. And especially as far as first rounders are concerned, aren't their rookie salaries generally predetermined based on draft position anyway? I guess it would make sense if there were a better use for that money over the summer, but since they wouldn't spend it until a contract was signed anyway, what does the team have to gain by waiting?

Kinda right. I think it has more to do with what the player drafted one spot above the selection got paid unless it's a Quarterback. So unless other teams have taken care of their signings, those prices will never be set.

Plus, giving 20 year olds 2 million dollars to enjoy themselves over the summer can't really be the best way to prepare them for the rigors of an upcoming NFL season. It takes a super special kid to be able to focus and stay hungry ... not many of them.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-17-2009, 03:14 PM

He didn't have scott boras as an agent?

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Kinda right. I think it has more to do with what the player drafted one spot above the selection got paid unless it's a Quarterback. So unless other teams have taken care of their signings, those prices will never be set.

Ah, it makes sense then. I thought their rookie salaries were generally predetermined by the value of the contract given to the player selected at that position the year before, not based on the player picked before them in the same draft. Meaning the #15 pick in this years draft would receive a contract whose value is, say, 2% greater than the value of the contract given to the #15 pick in last year's draft. Or something like that. I know it's not set in stone, but I figured that or something similar was the general guideline for it. At least for first rounders anyway.

Patler
06-17-2009, 04:09 PM

I think it was Andrew Brandt that wrote in one of his columns about teams wanting to delay signings to hang on to the cash. As he rightfully noted, teams don't leave that money sitting around doing nothing. It "works" for them. A few million dollars hung onto for a few extra months can bring a few thousands of dollars. Just 2% of 3 million over 2 months is $10,000. Not a huge amount in the overall budget, by why throw it away if you don't have to?

And as others noted, the teams would rather that the players not have a free summer with new found wealth to get them into trouble. Signing just before camp allows the team to exert better influence on the newly rich player.

Fritz
06-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Devin Frischknecht? Is that some kind of Yiddish sausage? Or is it an adjective?

"Hey, buddy, order the Frischknecht. It's really good at this deli."

"Hey, don't get all Frischknecht with me, willya?"

KYPack
06-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Devin Frischknecht? Is that some kind of Yiddish sausage? Or is it an adjective?

I thought Frischknecht was some cheap champagne I bought.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-17-2009, 05:34 PM

White people crack Ty up. Yiddish is a language, not a culture, people, or region.

Scott Campbell
06-17-2009, 05:38 PM

I think you see many agents paranoid about signing early, because the market hasn't been set yet for their clients draft position. If they blindly negotiate a below market deal, that will be used against them by other agents when recruiting new clients.

Fritz
06-17-2009, 05:38 PM

White people crack Ty up. Yiddish is a language, not a culture, people, or region.

Sorry, Ty. But language and culture are all tied up, and Yiddish is more than just a language.

You want that I should pretend otherwise? Go on, Ty, go find a nice girl already, and take her out for some Frischknecht.

Joemailman
06-17-2009, 07:03 PM
There may be no such thing as a Yiddish sausage, but there is a Yiddish word, karlatz, which means sausage. I found a recipe for karlatznach, which means little sausage. http://books.google.com/books?id=Tn0kUmaFLKoC&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=yiddish+sausage&source=bl&ots=HPQzsfnyvW&sig=JVWKeJigJF7BdcFuQe_ADMxCSDQ&hl=en&ei=74E5Ssb_GYvuMsqY6JMN&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

I'm guessing that Frischknecht has enjoyed some karlatznach in his time. By the way Frischknecht is a Yiddish word which means Camp body.

Scott Campbell
06-17-2009, 07:07 PM
.........................karlatznach, which means little sausage.

I think Harlan's been wondering what to call it.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-17-2009, 07:22 PM

Sorry, Ty. But language and culture are all tied up, and Yiddish is more than just a language.

You want that I should pretend otherwise? Go on, Ty, go find a nice girl already, and take her out for some Frischknecht.

Language and culture and tied up, but there are no Yiddish people. And, in this country you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who even speaks it...about 5% can do so.

Yiddish is but one of many high german languages. And, my white Xian friend, yiddish is the yiddish word for jewish. :lol:

But, if we want to go that way...which yiddish are you referring to? Are you suggesting that romanian yiddish were the same as german yiddish. :oops:

Considering that you tried to make a joke that was poor..jews and sausage :oops: you should just give up.

But, i'm sure you are a jew and are more knowledgeable about it. :lol:

If ty was going to take out a nice girl (proper usage of speaking jewish) he would take her out for some kreplach, knishes, blintzes, tsimmis and finish with some mandel broit. :wink:

Sparkey
06-17-2009, 11:58 PM

Interest .........

Gunakor
06-18-2009, 10:19 AM

Interest .........

I know, as Patler pointed that out earlier. It makes sense. Though it is easy to overlook, seeing as how it's such a small amount of money (as Patler also pointed out). When you are talking about a payroll of over 100 million, 10 grand doesn't even show up as a blip on the radar. I hadn't even considered it, but it makes sense.

pbmax
06-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Every draft pick sign a letter of understanding with the team (or league-not sure) that specifies that in the event of an injury prior to their contract being signed or training camp, that they will be guaranteed a market contract based on the picks around them in the traditional slotting system. So until camp, there is no hurry from a risk perspective other than the normal risk associated with football injuries. It is in essence an insurance policy.

Higher round picks take additional insurance against lost wages or other income such as endorsements or public appearances.

Scott Campbell
06-18-2009, 11:53 AM
I know, as Patler pointed that out earlier. It makes sense. Though it is easy to overlook, seeing as how it's such a small amount of money (as Patler also pointed out). When you are talking about a payroll of over 100 million, 10 grand doesn't even show up as a blip on the radar. I hadn't even considered it, but it makes sense.

One usually isn't given the opportunity to manage large amounts of money unless they have first been good at managing small amounts of money.

Gunakor
06-18-2009, 12:29 PM

One usually isn't given the opportunity to manage large amounts of money unless they have first been good at managing small amounts of money.

I wasn't suggesting Thompson wasn't good at managing small amounts of money. Not at all. I am envious of his money management skills. Very much so as a matter of fact. It's just that I hadn't considered 10 thousand in interest on 3 million sitting in the bank. It makes sense, I just hadn't thought of it.

Fritz
06-18-2009, 02:21 PM

Language and culture and tied up, but there are no Yiddish people. And, in this country you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who even speaks it...about 5% can do so.

Yiddish is but one of many high german languages. And, my white Xian friend, yiddish is the yiddish word for jewish. :lol:

But, if we want to go that way...which yiddish are you referring to? Are you suggesting that romanian yiddish were the same as german yiddish. :oops:

Considering that you tried to make a joke that was poor..jews and sausage :oops: you should just give up.

But, i'm sure you are a jew and are more knowledgeable about it. :lol:

If ty was going to take out a nice girl (proper usage of speaking jewish) he would take her out for some kreplach, knishes, blintzes, tsimmis and finish with some mandel broit. :wink:

And Jewish isn't a culture?

You are knowledgeable, Tyrone, moreson than I, but not exactly correct on this particular point.

Also, I am not sure how my joke about Frischknecht was poor. Do you mean in poor taste somehow? Jewish New York was/is famous for its delicatessens, and the use of the "kn" in that name, as in "kn" does suggest the segment of old New York that consisted of the immigrants who spoke Yiddish, many of them German, which is a language that also offers the "kn" usage.

But we quibble over small matters while TT ponders a long term extension for DD at millions and millions a year. This could precipitate a seismic eruption on Packerrats, if you and Paco join forces in an anti-TT crusade.

So enough of this already!