PDA

View Full Version : Where do you stand on Favre being a Viking?

RashanGary
06-17-2009, 07:40 PM
I was OK when the Packers moved on from Favre. I thought it came down to a few things.

Favre was getting up there in years and wasn't in great shape heading into training camp

Rodgers is just hitting his prime and was in great shape

Favre didn't show up to the offseason work and has an attitude about offseason work that contradicts everything the Packers try to do in the offseason.

Rodgers showed up every day and has the hard work, team attitude that the Packers are trying to promote in the offseason.

In the end, I think the Packers felt good about Favre as QB, but they felt better about Rodgers after Favre took the offseason off and Rodgers got another offseason better. That's the way I read it and because of that, I was OK with the switch. It was in the best interest of the team.

As far as Favre being a Viking. I think he definitely should play and if he feels slighted by having the Packers choose Rodgers over him, then more power to him. I'd probably feel the same way (although I don't think I'd ever take time off in the offseason. I believe in hard work and chemistry so it probably would have never happened to me).

As far as rooting for him? No way. I didn't particularly like him when he was here so naturally, I'm not going to root for him one bit while he's gone. I hope we crush him. I want to see him struggle badly against our defense and I'd like it if he lost the game with an interception.

Brett Favre is NOT a Packer. Never will be. Brett Favre is a Viking so I will treat him as such.

Freak Out
06-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I will always root against the Vikings with or without Favre.

Lurker64
06-17-2009, 08:25 PM
I want whoever plays QB for the Vikings this year to play poorly and for the team in Minnesota to go 1-15 (split the season series with the Bears), with particularly crushing defeats at the hands of the Packers.

That doesn't change regardless of who plays QB for the Vikings, even if he was my brother.

Packnut
06-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Favre being a Viking sucks. However, it is what it is. I'd be very surprised if a 40 yr old QB can last a full season. Stranger things have happened I guess, but the percentages are against it.

Joemailman
06-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Won't be cheering for the Vikings QB to have a good year no matter who it is. The thing is, the success of the Vikings hinges so much on the play of the QB. That's why they are willing to go with Favre instead of developing a younger guy. There is enough talent on their roster for them to be a Super Bowl contender if they get strong QB play. Why would a Packer fan cheer for that?

Administrator
06-17-2009, 08:38 PM
I loved watching Favre the Packer. I haven't enjoyed the last several years with all the retirement talk. I lost a lot of respect for both the organization and Favre last year. Neither handled it particularly well.

I'm pleasantly surprised with Rodgers, and barring a second starting year slump I think we've got a more than capable replacement.

I surely won't root for Favre as a Viking. I did root for Favre as a Jet. Every game the Vikings win makes it more difficult for the Packers. That wasn't the case with the Jets. We don't need that.

In the end, when he finally retires and patches things up with the Packers, I'll probably forgive him, but, I am not sure I'll ever forget this mess. It is very, very disappointing.

FWIW, I do understand that he wants to continue playing. So did I, but I wasn't even good enough to play in college. But, in the end, loyalty is still a respected value, whether or not he owes it to the organization or the fans. Until I heard the hotel reservation scandal, I held out hope for that, but that hope has faded. If he can play, he'll play.

hoosier
06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I want whoever plays QB for the Vikings this year to play poorly and for the team in Minnesota to go 1-15 (split the season series with the Bears), with particularly crushing defeats at the hands of the Packers.

That doesn't change regardless of who plays QB for the Vikings, even if he was my brother.

1-15 is good. But how much worse is it when the go 15-1 or thereabouts, followed by a meltdown in the postseason?

Gunakor
06-17-2009, 08:41 PM

1-15 is good. But how much worse is it when the go 15-1 or thereabouts, followed by a meltdown in the postseason?

EPIC

"You fucked up Gary!"

Every time they replay that on NFLN I laugh :lol:

RashanGary
06-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Favre being a Viking sucks. However, it is what it is. I'd be very surprised if a 40 yr old QB can last a full season. Stranger things have happened I guess, but the percentages are against it.

I don't think I'd bet on the old man getting injured. He's got a pretty good track record when it comes to that.

Also, TJack could run a pretty mean wildcat (giving Favre a 5 snap/game break).

Also, Peterson/Chester Taylor can handle a pretty big load

Also, they don't have to pass a lot because teams don't score very often on them.

The only possible weakness I could find in the Vikings is ST's and if they feel they're on the cusp of a great season maybe they make a strong effort to improve those too.

Scary offense.
Scary defense
borderline ST's

They're a sure playoff team IMO. If they're ST's comes out strong, they're a SB team.

Joemailman
06-17-2009, 08:48 PM
The real question is whether Favre can be successful over a 16 game season. He has faded in December/January the past 4-5 years. I don't think it's just weather either. He's had poor performances in games where the weather was not a factor. I think the pressure he puts on himself wears him down as the season goes on.

pbmax
06-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I would only care if it costs the Packers something. In other words, same as usual.

Scott Campbell
06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't think I'd bet on the old man getting injured. He's got a pretty good track record when it comes to that.

Yeah, but at 25 he didn't have to really worry about breaking a hip, and stuff like bone density.

Scott Campbell
06-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Where do you stand on Favre being a Viking?

He's dead to me.

gbgary
06-17-2009, 09:36 PM

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

MadScientist
06-17-2009, 09:37 PM
As long as he plays such that the Viking fans start calling for TJ, I'm ok with it. :D

Spaulding
06-17-2009, 09:52 PM
I loved watching Favre the Packer. I haven't enjoyed the last several years with all the retirement talk. I lost a lot of respect for both the organization and Favre last year. Neither handled it particularly well.

I'm pleasantly surprised with Rodgers, and barring a second starting year slump I think we've got a more than capable replacement.

I surely won't root for Favre as a Viking. I did root for Favre as a Jet. Every game the Vikings win makes it more difficult for the Packers. That wasn't the case with the Jets. We don't need that.

In the end, when he finally retires and patches things up with the Packers, I'll probably forgive him, but, I am not sure I'll ever forget this mess. It is very, very disappointing.

FWIW, I do understand that he wants to continue playing. So did I, but I wasn't even good enough to play in college. But, in the end, loyalty is still a respected value, whether or not he owes it to the organization or the fans. Until I heard the hotel reservation scandal, I held out hope for that, but that hope has faded. If he can play, he'll play.

Pretty much sums my thoughts as well. In one word "disappointment." Disappointment that we had to go through the years of waffling on retirement, disappointment on the way the issue was handled by both sides last year, disappointment that he again pulled the retirement trick, and finally disappointment that he's pretty much all along wanted to play for the Vikings and stick it to TT above and beyond any loyalty or love he had for us common fans.

Bossman641
06-17-2009, 10:04 PM
The real question is whether Favre can be successful over a 16 game season. He has faded in December/January the past 4-5 years. I don't think it's just weather either. He's had poor performances in games where the weather was not a factor. I think the pressure he puts on himself wears him down as the season goes on.

This sorta goes along with being successful, but I wonder what style he will play with. IMO, the Vikings would be better off with someone who takes care of the ball more carefully. Even if they limit Favre's attempts with a healthy dose of AD/Taylor, you still know he is gonna force some passes.

pack4to84
06-17-2009, 10:12 PM
I want him to play for the Vikings so the Packers would have a easier time beating the Vikings. He sucks. He will hurt them more then help them. Ya he will look good beating the Browns,Lions, and 49ers only to get spanked in the game he wants to win the most. If he does play for them I hope the Packers never add him to the Packers Hall of Fame. If they do someone would have to spray paint his stuff purple because that is where his heart is now.

TennesseePackerBacker
06-17-2009, 10:16 PM

He's dead to me.

QFT

Stevogbfan
06-17-2009, 11:32 PM

He's dead to me.

LOL aww come on scott, it can't be that bad

Zool
06-17-2009, 11:56 PM

He's dead to me.

QFT

Third. Only way it could be worse is the Bears. Like someone said, if my brother was QB for the Vikes I would hope he goes 0-16.

bbbffl66
06-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I want him to play for the Vikings so the Packers would have a easier time beating the Vikings. He sucks. He will hurt them more then help them. Ya he will look good beating the Browns,Lions, and 49ers only to get spanked in the game he wants to win the most. If he does play for them I hope the Packers never add him to the Packers Hall of Fame. If they do someone would have to spray paint his stuff purple because that is where his heart is now.

Right, that the Titans game last year. :roll:
Like I said in another thread, I will root for the Packers every game. But if Minny makes it to the NCF Champ game against the Cowpukes or the SB against Belicheat I will root loudly for BF. Not necessarily Minny, but I would root for BF in that circumstance.

Scott Campbell
06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
If he does play for them I hope the Packers never add him to the Packers Hall of Fame.

I support this idea. He no longer measures up to the standards of our HOF. When he's feeling nostalgic in his old age, let him visit the good folks in Canton. He should stay out of Wisconsin.

mraynrand
06-18-2009, 11:26 AM
If he does play for them I hope the Packers never add him to the Packers Hall of Fame.

I support this idea. He no longer measures up to the standards of our HOF. When he's feeling nostalgic in his old age, let him visit the good folks in Canton. He should stay out of Wisconsin.

My first reaction was to say this is lame. I still think it is, since many Packer greats played for others in their waning years, but I can understand how vitriol directed at Favre is deserved, especially since we have evidence from the horse's mouth that playing for the Vikings, specifically, is vengeful. As I've said before, if Favre plays for the Vikings, I will view him like I did Millard, Carter, Doleman, Randall, Moss, Hovan, Fuller, etc. - and hope he gets the shit kicked out of him on Sundays.

pbmax
06-18-2009, 11:27 AM

I have heard there are Packer fans in all States, maybe we can force him to stay in Mississippi? :roll:

Scott Campbell
06-18-2009, 11:30 AM

I have heard there are Packer fans in all States, maybe we can force him to stay in Mississippi? :roll:

I like it! Would that be legal? :lol:

Fritz
06-18-2009, 01:08 PM
As I said elsewhere, I hope he does play for the Vikings because it's a Greek tragedy (okay, it's not quite tragedy but you get the idea) unfolding in front of us.

It's like watching a car stall on the train tracks. As the train barrels headlong down the tracks, you don't want anything bad to happen. Mostly.

cpk1994
06-19-2009, 05:41 AM

I support this idea. He no longer measures up to the standards of our HOF. When he's feeling nostalgic in his old age, let him visit the good folks in Canton. He should stay out of Wisconsin.I disagree simply becuase that would be stooping to Favre's level of childishness. The Packers should show the class that Favre currently and severely lacks right now.

SkinBasket
06-19-2009, 07:28 AM
I hope the Packers murder Brett Favre and send his head to the Vikings wrapped in leftover fish fry tinfoil.

Scott Campbell
06-19-2009, 08:01 AM
I hope the Packers murder Brett Favre and send his head to the Vikings wrapped in leftover fish fry tinfoil.

Would that be legal?

pbmax
06-19-2009, 08:33 AM

I support this idea. He no longer measures up to the standards of our HOF. When he's feeling nostalgic in his old age, let him visit the good folks in Canton. He should stay out of Wisconsin.I disagree simply becuase that would be stooping to Favre's level of childishness. The Packers should show the class that Favre currently and severely lacks right now.
Just as long as neither stoops to the posters' level of childishness. :lol:

prsnfoto
06-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Ahh yes let us remove the likes of Taylor,Lombardi,Horning, Majik,Bennett,Reggie,and soon to be A. Green, Sharper and Longwell those son of a bitchs are all traitors who went to other teams either willingly or forced and all should be shot dead according to the braindead dumbfucks on this board. I was heartbroken at first to hear the possibbility of Favre playing for the Queer Queens but that is reality today most players will play for 3-5 teams in their career you can be pissed at him if you like but you(meaning anyone with the bright idea he doesn't belong) sound pretty silly even suggesting it.

]{ilr]3
06-19-2009, 09:11 AM

Ahh yes let us remove the likes of Taylor,Lombardi,Horning, Majik,Bennett,Reggie,and soon to be A. Green, Sharper and Longwell those son of a bitchs are all traitors who went to other teams either willingly or forced and all should be shot dead according to the braindead dumbfucks on this board. I was heartbroken at first to hear the possibbility of Favre playing for the Queer Queens but that is reality today most players will play for 3-5 teams in their career you can be pissed at him if you like but you(meaning anyone with the bright idea he doesn't belong) sound pretty silly even suggesting it.

This is BS, as the ones who are already in there did not go to the Vikings. Sharper and Longwell showed there true colors when they chose to wear purple just as Favre is doing.

Only a brain dead dumb fuck cannot see there is a HUGE difference in going to anouther team or going to the Vikings :roll:

SkinBasket
06-19-2009, 09:25 AM

Would that be legal?

It might be legally dubious, but I'm no Johnnie Cochran.

The Shadow
06-19-2009, 09:36 AM
As I said elsewhere, I hope he does play for the Vikings because it's a Greek tragedy (okay, it's not quite tragedy but you get the idea) unfolding in front of us.

It's like watching a car stall on the train tracks. As the train barrels headlong down the tracks, you don't want anything bad to happen. Mostly.

Very nicely put!

Pugger
06-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Weren't guys like Taylor and Hornung TRADED to other teams? I guess what really gets under my craw is BF WANTS to to go our most hated rival. If indeed his motivation for going to MN is revenge he will crash and burn by November, god willing...

Scott Campbell
06-19-2009, 10:03 AM
{ilr]3]

This is BS, as the ones who are already in there did not go to the Vikings. Sharper and Longwell showed there true colors when they chose to wear purple just as Favre is doing.

Only a brain dead dumb fuck cannot see there is a HUGE difference in going to anouther team or going to the Vikings :roll:

The vengeance angle ticks me off as much as anything else. That, and I think he manipulated his way out of both GB and NY.

However, my Packer HOF comments were a bit over the top. Though I cringe at the idea of him sharing space with Bart Starr as one of the all time Packer greats.

The Shadow
06-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Weren't guys like Taylor and Hornung TRADED to other teams? I guess what really gets under my craw is BF WANTS to to go our most hated rival. If indeed his motivation for going to MN is revenge he will crash and burn by November, god willing...

Taylor chose to sign with the Saints because it was close to home.
Hornung was left by Lombardi on a list of players who could be taken by the new Saints franchise (gambling that his injuries would stop the Saints from choosing him).
Hornung WAS chosen - and retired.

poogus
06-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey guys, long time lurker and virgin poster here. I found this t-shirt that you may find interesting.

http://sconnie.com/view_item&id=137?PHPSESSID=ece80f0ac13ee744f2665b9c1f241a15

pbmax
06-19-2009, 11:36 AM
This is the part of the argument I cannot really comment on. I did not grow up here and cannot claim any share of Viking loathing (laughing maybe, but not loathing). But if the Packers release Favre, do you really expect that he should abide by your wishes and play out of the division?

No, its not the same as Lombardi, Taylor or Hornung, but shouldn't the rules that apply to the rest of the league apply to Favre?

Gunakor
06-19-2009, 12:40 PM
No, its not the same as Lombardi, Taylor or Hornung, but shouldn't the rules that apply to the rest of the league apply to Favre?

Yes they should, and they do. There is nothing that can stop Favre from playing for the Vikings as long as the Vikings offer him a contract. Nobody is arguing the rules or saying they should be changed in this particular instance. If Brett wants to play for the Vikings and the Vikings want Brett, then it's going to happen and nothing any of us say about it can change that. Those are the rules.

I don't think that after the Packers released Favre that he should have stayed out of our division just to accomidate our wishes. But I don't think that spite should play a major role in his decision not to stay out of our divison either. There's no rule to regulate that, and I'm not suggesting there should be. But that doesn't change the way I feel about it.

KYPack
06-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Hornung was left by Lombardi on a list of players who could be taken by the new Saints franchise (gambling that his injuries would stop the Saints from choosing him).

Taylor was traded to the Saints. Taylor did want to go there, but Vince got Phil Vandersea and the Saints #1 pick in '68. The Pack then drafted LB Fred Carr with the pick. Taylor was all played out, it was a great trade for the Packers.

run pMc
06-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Where do I stand?
I don't like it.

--I understand he still wants to play, that's fine, then play. I have no problem with that.

--The will-he-won't-he retirement crap wore pretty thin about 4 years ago.

--Drafting Rodgers was a prudent move with an aging QB.

--When Favre retired, MM installed new wrinkles in the offense that catered to Rodgers's skill set. Favre's return would have ruined all that work. I think TT wanted to see if he could play, and to justify the R1 pick. I believe that the team had moved on without him -- he retired in a teary press conf, after all -- and so TT had to trade Favre when he unretired.
No biggie, Reggie unretired and played for CAR.

--When Favre retired (again), he admitted he wanted to "stick it to Ted". If this is a primary motivator, it's a selfish one (personal vendetta vs. team accomplishments). That's what I really have a problem with. IMO it also tempts the Football Gods -- e.g., AP blows an ACL or something. Emotion can only carry a team/player so far.

--Can Favre hold up mentally and physically, especially when he's 2/3 thru the season, games vs. the Pack are done? Can he string 3 good playoff performances? Can Childress/Bevell rein this guy in and coach him?
Consider me skeptical.

--Favre is talking to ONLY the Vikings because he knows the WCO & MIN is a good team. Makes sense. However, it sure sounds like he mostly wants to play for MIN to beat GB twice in a year (& especially at Lambeau).

--I don't recall Sharper, Longwell, et al., admitting to negotiating ONLY with the Vikings with the intent to "stick it" to GB. Sharper seems like the kind of guy who would play for the AFL if they waved enough money at him.

--I think MIN has a good team, and I say all of this without a hint of jealousy.

--If someone told you MIN wants to strap it's hopes for good QB play on a 39 year old QB coming off arm surgery and out of retirement, most Packer fans would be doing cartwheels. Yeah, he's not Vinny Testaverde, I get that. Regardless of whether Favre signs with MIN and they win the SB...MIN will have f**d their QB situation. Sage/TJ can't be thrilled about this, and regardless of what anyone at Winter Park says, it IS a distraction for the players & coaches.

--I understand the betrayal people feel, especially after years of Favre's "I'll retire before I play for anyone but Green Bay" statements. I guess we didn't realize what he meant back then...

--I think Favre has seriously damaged his reputation with his behavior, both within and outside Packer Nation. I would prefer Favre stay retired. The drama from last year still has people worked up. Reading all the stuff fans, bloggers, and reporters have written has been polarizing, and not in a good way.

I will not cheer Favre on this year except for when he plays the Bears.

The Shadow
06-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Taylor was traded to the Saints. Taylor did want to go there, but Vince got Phil Vandersea and the Saints #1 pick in '68. The Pack then drafted LB Fred Carr with the pick. Taylor was all played out, it was a great trade for the Packers.

I believe you are wrong here.
Taylor was not traded, he signed willingly.

Packnut
06-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Where do I stand?
I don't like it.

--I understand he still wants to play, that's fine, then play. I have no problem with that.

--The will-he-won't-he retirement crap wore pretty thin about 4 years ago.

--Drafting Rodgers was a prudent move with an aging QB.

--When Favre retired, MM installed new wrinkles in the offense that catered to Rodgers's skill set. Favre's return would have ruined all that work. I think TT wanted to see if he could play, and to justify the R1 pick. I believe that the team had moved on without him -- he retired in a teary press conf, after all -- and so TT had to trade Favre when he unretired.
No biggie, Reggie unretired and played for CAR.

--When Favre retired (again), he admitted he wanted to "stick it to Ted". If this is a primary motivator, it's a selfish one (personal vendetta vs. team accomplishments). That's what I really have a problem with. IMO it also tempts the Football Gods -- e.g., AP blows an ACL or something. Emotion can only carry a team/player so far.

--Can Favre hold up mentally and physically, especially when he's 2/3 thru the season, games vs. the Pack are done? Can he string 3 good playoff performances? Can Childress/Bevell rein this guy in and coach him?
Consider me skeptical.

--Favre is talking to ONLY the Vikings because he knows the WCO & MIN is a good team. Makes sense. However, it sure sounds like he mostly wants to play for MIN to beat GB twice in a year (& especially at Lambeau).

--I don't recall Sharper, Longwell, et al., admitting to negotiating ONLY with the Vikings with the intent to "stick it" to GB. Sharper seems like the kind of guy who would play for the AFL if they waved enough money at him.

--I think MIN has a good team, and I say all of this without a hint of jealousy.

--If someone told you MIN wants to strap it's hopes for good QB play on a 39 year old QB coming off arm surgery and out of retirement, most Packer fans would be doing cartwheels. Yeah, he's not Vinny Testaverde, I get that. Regardless of whether Favre signs with MIN and they win the SB...MIN will have f**d their QB situation. Sage/TJ can't be thrilled about this, and regardless of what anyone at Winter Park says, it IS a distraction for the players & coaches.

--I understand the betrayal people feel, especially after years of Favre's "I'll retire before I play for anyone but Green Bay" statements. I guess we didn't realize what he meant back then...

--I think Favre has seriously damaged his reputation with his behavior, both within and outside Packer Nation. I would prefer Favre stay retired. The drama from last year still has people worked up. Reading all the stuff fans, bloggers, and reporters have written has been polarizing, and not in a good way.

I will not cheer Favre on this year except for when he plays the Bears.

I've found a huge positive out of this debacle. My obsession with the Packers had a great part of control over my life. I remember always feeling like I had been kicked in the gut everytime they lost. I would plan my life around Packer football. I worshiped Bart Starr as if he were some kind of God-like creature. I remember watching a piece on tv when Bart was coaching. It was a video collection with the song "the way we were". Man, I balled my eyes out.

Living in Chicago, I have a different perspective on Favre. He made football fun again for me. I will forever be thankfull to him for that. He gave me some real great times. I will never forget walking in stores on Mondays with my Packer gear on and Bear fans looking at me and then their eyes would shift to the ground and a look of shame would envelope them. It was pure unadulterated joy! I will not throw all those memories out because of this crap.

What this has all taught me is that their is no loyalty what-so-ever in the NFL. Players play for money plain and simple. It's a job, nothing more, nothing less. It goes the same for teams. They have no loyalty to the players. I could care less what Favre's motives are just like I no longer care what Thompson's motives were.

I agree with Fritz, it will be good drama if it happens. I don't buy the Greek tragedy angle, but good drama non-the-less. I'll be happy if the Pack beats a Favre led Vikes team, but at the same time, I won't feel anything if Favre thows 3 td's and the Vikes win.

run pMc
06-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I agree with Fritz, it will be good drama if it happens. I don't buy the Greek tragedy angle, but good drama non-the-less. I'll be happy if the pack beats a Favre led Vikes team, but at the same time, I won't feel anything if Favre thows 3 td's and the Vikes win.

Good post -- I agree it will be good drama.

Where we differ: it is precisely Favre's reasons for coming back (and how sneaky his machinations look to get "revenge" are) that I find objectionable. Whether he plays for the Jets or Vikings is far less important to me.
It's sad to see anyone -- regardless of how admired they are -- publicly go to such lengths for a private vendetta.

pbmax
06-19-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't think that after the Packers released Favre that he should have stayed out of our division just to accomidate our wishes. But I don't think that spite should play a major role in his decision not to stay out of our divison either. There's no rule to regulate that, and I'm not suggesting there should be. But that doesn't change the way I feel about it.
I was using the word "rules" in the loosest possible sense of the word, meaning what acts might cause an uproar among fans. Not to suggest that those opposed to Favre on the Vikes are championing actual player movement rule changes.

I remember no one was happy with Longwell when he went to the Vikes (though his restaurant critique hurt as well) and while some felt the loss of Sharper would hurt (and that T2 had made a mistake) I don't recall too many blaming him for choosing the Vikings. I could be wrong about that.

I understand folks not wanting to have to play the Vikings with Favre at QB. My point was that unlike Longwell or Sharper, people expect Favre to take their feelings into consideration. That, I am at a loss to understand.

Patler
06-19-2009, 02:35 PM

Phil Vandersea was drafted by the Packers as a future pick in 1965. He played for the Packers in 1966 and was lost to the Saints in the expansion draft before 1967, along with Bill Curry and Paul Hornung. Taylor's contract expired and he signed with the Saints, but it wasn't that simple (see below).

Vandersea played one year for the Saints along with Taylor, and then the Packers got him back in a trade before the 1968 season. He played a couple more years in GB.

As I recall Curry was part of a trade almost immediately after the expansion draft between the Saints and Colts, I think for QB Gary Cuozo.

I don't remember all the details of Taylor's situation. His contract was up, but the NFL did not have true free agency then. I think the Packers could have forced him to stay, but there was a little bad blood between Taylor and Lombardi. Taylor expressed an interest in finishing his career "at home". He was from Baton Rouge, and went to LSU. The Packers "accommodated him", and might have gotten the Carr Pick in return. I do remember that the Saints thought of Taylor as a local star who would help validate their franchise. If it was the Carr pick, they gave way too much for Taylor!

Scott Campbell
06-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I've found a huge positive out of this debacle. My obsession with the Packers had a great part of control over my life. I remember always feeling like I had been kicked in the gut everytime they lost. I would plan my life around Packer football. I worshiped Bart Starr as if he were some kind of God-like creature. I remember watching a piece on tv when Bart was coaching. It was a video collection with the song "the way we were". Man, I balled my eyes out.

Living in Chicago, I have a different perspective on Favre. He made football fun again for me. I will forever be thankfull to him for that. He gave me some real great times. I will never forget walking in stores on Mondays with my Packer gear on and Bear fans looking at me and then their eyes would shift to the ground and a look of shame would envelope them. It was pure unadulterated joy! I will not throw all those memories out because of this crap.

What this has all taught me is that their is no loyalty what-so-ever in the NFL. Players play for money plain and simple. It's a job, nothing more, nothing less. It goes the same for teams. They have no loyalty to the players. I could care less what Favre's motives are just like I no longer care what Thompson's motives were.

I agree with Fritz, it will be good drama if it happens. I don't buy the Greek tragedy angle, but good drama non-the-less. I'll be happy if the Pack beats a Favre led Vikes team, but at the same time, I won't feel anything if Favre thows 3 td's and the Vikes win.

Good post Packnut.

A lot of guys wouldn't admit crying to Streisand. I'm looking at you Harlan.

The Shadow
06-19-2009, 05:37 PM

Phil Vandersea was drafted by the Packers as a future pick in 1965. He played for the Packers in 1966 and was lost to the Saints in the expansion draft before 1967, along with Bill Curry and Paul Hornung. Taylor's contract expired and he signed with the Saints, but it wasn't that simple (see below).

Vandersea played one year for the Saints along with Taylor, and then the Packers got him back in a trade before the 1968 season. He played a couple more years in GB.

As I recall Curry was part of a trade almost immediately after the expansion draft between the Saints and Colts, I think for QB Gary Cuozo.

I don't remember all the details of Taylor's situation. His contract was up, but the NFL did not have true free agency then. I think the Packers could have forced him to stay, but there was a little bad blood between Taylor and Lombardi. Taylor expressed an interest in finishing his career "at home". He was from Baton Rouge, and went to LSU. The Packers "accommodated him", and might have gotten the Carr Pick in return. I do remember that the Saints thought of Taylor as a local star who would help validate their franchise. If it was the Carr pick, they gave way too much for Taylor!

Lombardi's comments (paraphrased) at the time offer a clue :"We will miss
Paul Hornung a great deal. The other fellow, we will replace."

oregonpackfan
06-19-2009, 05:59 PM
No, I don't like the idea of Brett Favre playing for the Vikings at all. Growing up in Wisconsin, the team I despised was the Vikings. I even felt neutral about the Bears!

As a Packer fan, I am grateful to Favre for all the many accomplishments he brought to the organization. I am also impressed in that he was the type of star player who never held out for a bigger contract. He not once said something to the effect of "The quarterback of X team is making more than me. I deserve more."

Like a few other posters, I have lost respect for Favre in his revenge motive. He also lost respect from me about his continual waffling about retirement the past 2 or 3 years he was with the Packers. The Packers management more than accommodated him in giving him time to make up his mind.

What troubles me as well is that Favre does not know there is a time to retire and retire on a positive note. There is just a time to move on to other things. He could be helping Deanna with her cancer fund. He could be spending more time with his daughters, etc. He just does not seem to be willing to transition to a new phase in his life.

Despite the last two years(and what may happen during this upcoming football season) I do feel Favre belongs in the Packers Hall of Fame as well as the NFL Hall of Fame.

b bulldog
06-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Great fit for brett. The Vikes have everything but a qb and it could be a marriage made in heaven but the way Brett plays ball and the way he likes to throw int's, it could also be a disaster. If the Vikings remain AP's team, it could be a great year for the purple but if Childress gets pass happy, doom and gloom is a strong possibility.

Gunakor
06-19-2009, 06:17 PM
I was using the word "rules" in the loosest possible sense of the word, meaning what acts might cause an uproar among fans. Not to suggest that those opposed to Favre on the Vikes are championing actual player movement rule changes.

I remember no one was happy with Longwell when he went to the Vikes (though his restaurant critique hurt as well) and while some felt the loss of Sharper would hurt (and that T2 had made a mistake) I don't recall too many blaming him for choosing the Vikings. I could be wrong about that.

I understand folks not wanting to have to play the Vikings with Favre at QB. My point was that unlike Longwell or Sharper, people expect Favre to take their feelings into consideration. That, I am at a loss to understand.

Ah, I see what you're getting at.

I'm not surprised at the Longwell and Sharper comparisons, but they are far fetched. First and foremost, neither the fans nor the team had invested nearly as much into both of them combined as they did Favre. They had less reason to feel loyal, and fans had less reason to feel betrayed. Beyond that, neither went public with their vendetta against the Packers or faked 2 retirements to manipulate their way out of lifetime contracts, as far as I can remember.

I can't say this enough. It's not about having to play the Vikings with Favre at QB. It's not about football. It's about spite. It's about what's going on in his head, and what comes out of his mouth. It's about February through August. I'm not worried from September through January.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-19-2009, 06:21 PM

My first reaction was to say this is lame. I still think it is, since many Packer greats played for others in their waning years, but I can understand how vitriol directed at Favre is deserved, especially since we have evidence from the horse's mouth that playing for the Vikings, specifically, is vengeful. As I've said before, if Favre plays for the Vikings, I will view him like I did Millard, Carter, Doleman, Randall, Moss, Hovan, Fuller, etc. - and hope he gets the shit kicked out of him on Sundays.

Ty fully agrees. I will take delight in watching him get clobbered. I hope they lay him out, and he is taken off on a stretcher. Not a serious injury, just enough to get him outta the game. Maybe a concussion. Maybe turf toe.

Favre...bridging the gap tween liberals and conservatives!!

pbmax
06-19-2009, 07:26 PM
I think the spite or vengeance angle is only one part of this. While I think Brett really thinks T2 did him no favors with his approach, that is not enough reason to continue. "To prove Ted wrong I will continue to get my head beat in by his remade offensive line?" Nah. Or "I will learn the Charlie Weis offense from a man who makes Belicheck seem likable?" Not going to waste his time.

Vengeance is not enough. My theory is that this is about records mainly, vengeance and Super Bowl in 2nd and 3rd. Playing streak and TDs and games won. The Vikings offer a shot at pushing all three further away from Peyton and as a bonus he faces Thompson and Rodgers twice and he might get to play in a Super Bowl.

Gunakor
06-19-2009, 07:40 PM
I think the spite or vengeance angle is only one part of this.

You're right. But it's still one part of this. I understand the whole "The Vikings are a great fit" angle. But that's just one part of this too. See where I'm coming from?

th87
06-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Because Favre was larger than life (inadvertently or not). He made us believe that he was the Green Bay Packers. Would rather retire than play anywhere else. Since I grew up watching him, and he was such a household name, it was almost like he was part of the family. We could lose Longwell, and we could lose Sharper, but at least we'd always have Favre.

I wonder if he was aware of his impact on the kids growing up in Wisconsin. I doubt it, because if he was, he probably wouldn't flippantly play it off like going to the arch-rival isn't a big deal. As we've grown up, we realized that Favre's just a guy - he doesn't feel any allegiance to us, and it appears that we'd misplaced ours. In the end, it really isn't such a big deal, and so in turn, neither was his time as a Packer.

It's one of those things you lose from childhood. Like when you found out there was no Santa Claus. Or like when Ben from "Growing Pains" found out that rock star was a douchebag.

Rastak
06-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Which thread is this? #1 or #2 with the exact same title by the exact same poster? With all the replies I'm guessing #1. Perhaps the central scrutinizer (administrator) could combine them.

edit: By the way, it's a good idea for a thread, just curious why we needed two.

edit2: I omitted my take. Obviously my angle is completely different than most everyone here. I couldn't stand the guy when he played for Green Bay, mainly in the 90's....but like many of you were willing to take Moss, I'm cool with it, but I ain;t buying a jersey...LOL

RashanGary
06-19-2009, 09:12 PM
edit2: I omitted my take. Obviously my angle is completely different than most everyone here. I couldn't stand the guy when he played for Green Bay, mainly in the 90's....but like many of you were willing to take Moss, I'm cool with it, but I ain;t buying a jersey...LOL

That's how I'd feel. If Moss was a Packer I'd support him even if I didn't think his priorities were straight.

Rastak
06-19-2009, 09:16 PM
As we've grown up, we realized that Favre's just a guy - he doesn't feel any allegiance to us, and it appears that we'd misplaced ours.

Yea, you have this right. And it's true of damn near every guy on every roster. I think as they get older and long after they retire they may think back with loyalty on their team, but when they are still playing you will see things like Jerry Rice playing for Seattle and Alan Page playing for Chicago. It's a friggen job.

In addition, Favre got dumped by the team. It's not like his contract was up and he said "screw you Packers, I want to play for Minnesota". Playing for the Packers isn't an option.

RashanGary
06-19-2009, 09:21 PM
In addition, Favre got dumped by the team. It's not like his contract was up and he said "screw you Packers, I want to play for Minnesota". Playing for the Packers isn't an option.

Except that he sought out Minnesota from the moment the Packers decided to move on. He didn't have to choose the #1 rival. He did that on his own.

The Packers moved on and Brett is trying to prove a point back. That's not an issue to me, I have plenty of other issues with the way he's acted. It's an issue with a lot of the middle ground people who didn't really take a side. It seems the great majority of Packer nation has pretty much given up on idolizing Favre or even respecting him as a person. With the exception of the far extremists on both sides, the opinion of Favre is pretty much what he deserves. He's just a guy, not good, not horrible, certainly not great that played great football for a long time. Nothing more. Nothing less. Probably a bit of a phony. That's about right.

Gunakor
06-19-2009, 09:22 PM
It's not like his contract was up and he said "screw you Packers, I want to play for Minnesota".

His contract wasn't up, you got that part right.

Rastak
06-19-2009, 09:51 PM

Except that he sought out Minnesota from the moment the Packers decided to move on. He didn't have to choose the #1 rival. He did that on his own.

The Packers moved on and Brett is trying to prove a point back. That's not an issue to me, I have plenty of other issues with the way he's acted. It's an issue with a lot of the middle ground people who didn't really take a side. It seems the great majority of Packer nation has pretty much given up on idolizing Favre or even respecting him as a person. With the exception of the far extremists on both sides, the opinion of Favre is pretty much what he deserves. He's just a guy, not good, not horrible, certainly not great that played great football for a long time. Nothing more. Nothing less. Probably a bit of a phony. That's about right.

The thing is, which teams of the 32 had his old QB coach, a friend as a head coach, runs the same offense and a gaping hole at QB?

What would you do given the same circumstances? Say, "I want to play for strangers in an unfamiliar offense against teams I am not familiar with". That just doesn't make sense. I know he said rightafter he got traded he "wanted to show TT he made a mistake". That's just human nature.

RashanGary
06-19-2009, 10:16 PM
I see your points Ras. I definitely do. I don't think anything of him going to Minny. I know a guy at work that has defended Favre through thick and thin and now he can't stand him. I think a lot of Packer nation thought he wouldn't do something like this.

This is the least of Favre's wrongs though. This isn't even wrong, it just shows Favre was not that special Packer. I think a big part of Packer fans thought Favre was something else. They thought he cared about the Packers like they do. They loved him because of it. I think that is gone and rightfully so. The guy is very disingenuous.

woodbuck27
06-20-2009, 02:01 AM

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

How in a cats paw can we respond to that question until we actually see and feel it for ourselves? To date he's retired.

SkinBasket
06-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Hey guys, long time lurker and virgin poster here. I found this t-shirt that you may find interesting.

http://sconnie.com/view_item&id=137?PHPSESSID=ece80f0ac13ee744f2665b9c1f241a15

I'd wear that shirt.

http://sconnie.com/images/products/positions/2/137.jpg

BTW, welcome to posting poo.

Scott Campbell
06-20-2009, 08:02 AM
I know he said rightafter he got traded he "wanted to show TT he made a mistake". That's just human nature.

Human nature is feeling that way.

Complete stupidity is saying it.

As was ripping Ted in interviews, calling Millen during game week.....etc., etc., etc........

Gunakor
06-20-2009, 09:47 AM

How in a cats paw can we respond to that question until we actually see and feel it for ourselves? To date he's retired.

Because this story has been told before. We know the ending. Now where do you stand, knowing how the story ends even before the last page is written?

woodbuck27
06-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Because this story has been told before. We know the ending. Now where do you stand, knowing how the story ends even before the last page is written?

I believe this:

Brett Favre will only suit up again, and possibly with the Minnesota Vikings if he truly believes he's needed and can contribute to the Vikings going to a Super Bowl. If that transpires I see a lot of courage in that man. It then would be a continuation to a remarkable story of an athletes desire to win the ultimate prize. In that sense it's not at all strange nor wrong.

I really wonder what could be? For Favre to get there would mean a another season we have to wait for our team to excel. Should we collectively find disrespect for a QB that did so much for us as fans if he signs with Minnesota? That's an individual route of choice. A free and compelling choice of position.

I refuse to beat myself up over that choice until it's 'in fact' upon me. I then would say it's what happens on the field. A what it is 'is' thing.

If Favre is successful as a Viking I'll applaud him. It would be to me just another truly great sports story and result. It could cement Favre as ' the Legend '. That's as an NFL fan should be and for me simply now. Compelling.

That's my stance to this time.

The Shadow
06-20-2009, 10:53 AM

I believe this:

Brett Favre will only suit up again, and possibly with the Minnesota Vikings if he truly believes he's needed and can contribute to the Vikings going to a Super Bowl. If that transpires I see a lot of courage in that man. It then would be a continuation to a remarkable story of an athletes desire to win the ultimate prize. In that sense it's not at all strange nor wrong.

I really wonder what could be? For Favre to get there would mean a another season we have to wait for our team to excel. Should we collectively find disrespect for a QB that did so much for us as fans if he signs with Minnesota? That's an individual route of choice. A free and compelling choice of position.

I refuse to beat myself up over that choice until it's 'in fact' upon me. I then would say it's what happens on the field. A what it is 'is' thing.

If Favre is successful as a Viking I'll applaud him. It would be to me just another truly great sports story and result. It could cement Favre as ' the Legend '. That's as an NFL fan should be and for me simply now. Compelling.

That's my stance to this time.

More than a few of us see something very different from 'courage' here, and it is disheartening.