PDA

View Full Version : I just sent my 1st text message

SkinBasket
06-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I feel like I should beat off now. Is that typical?

Joemailman
06-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Please tell me you don't have a camera phone.

Harlan Huckleby
06-18-2009, 08:12 PM
has Nutz replied yet?

If you ever get a second friend, the text messaging could be useful in keeping your social life organized.

Joemailman
06-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Sounds like someone is jealous that Skinbasket's first text message wasn't to him.

Scott Campbell
06-18-2009, 08:30 PM

It is for you.

SkinBasket
06-18-2009, 08:40 PM

It is for you.

Well, here goes!

Brando19
06-18-2009, 08:53 PM

Welcome to the last decade, Skin! Where the hell have you been? You can photoshop a set of nuts between Richard Simmons' legs but you have never text until now?

Freak Out
06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Now that you have beat off you should "sext" Harlan a picture of your junk....nut up and take the next step man.

SkinBasket
06-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Now that you have beat off you should "sext" Harlan a picture of your junk....nut up and take the next step man.

I don't think he'll give me his number. (As I have recently learned, you send texts to a phone number, not a name or e-mail address). He's afraid we're going to forcibly make him part of the Great Wisconsin Mellon Tasting Tour. Speaking of which, nutz is actually kind of sad none of you fuckers have signed up. He extends a hand and you slap it away. Bretsky? I'm looking at you.

Harlan Huckleby
06-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Maybe people are not used to setting their social calender 5 months in advance. How do we know we won't get better offers between now and then?

Freak Out
06-18-2009, 10:38 PM

I don't think he'll give me his number. (As I have recently learned, you send texts to a phone number, not a name or e-mail address). He's afraid we're going to forcibly make him part of the Great Wisconsin Mellon Tasting Tour. Speaking of which, nutz is actually kind of sad none of you fuckers have signed up. He extends a hand and you slap it away. Bretsky? I'm looking at you.

If I'm able to come to the game this year (likely) I'll definitely hop on the bus. Cheaper than the car rental I had last year and I won't have to drive. Plus there are the melons.........

Partial
06-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Welcome to 2006 :lol:

SnakeLH2006
06-19-2009, 02:55 AM
LOL, what you first texted in 2006? Welcome to late 90's bro. Snake is/has always been technologically jacked, but really, really hates texting personally, as it takes more time than a phone call.....then you have to wait 5 min. for a reply, then vice versa like crazy for 25-30 min. when you could just pick the phone up and say it all in 30 sec.

OK, Snake texted his buddy tonite after work, but I knew it was of nothing of great importance, but that shit makes Twitter look all the more weak. WTF is the point of that? I thought text was for that? I only text when, I don't want to call..so what is Twitter? That is truly for nerds/attention whores...I'm sure you Twitter, eh, Partial? What did you have for breakfast? I truly care.

SkinBasket
06-19-2009, 06:58 AM

If I'm able to come to the game this year (likely) I'll definitely hop on the bus. Cheaper than the car rental I had last year and I won't have to drive. Plus there are the melons.........

Sorry Harlan, your spot's been taken unless nutz builds a wooden bench in the back of the minivan or we kick the hooker out.

arcilite
06-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Texting makes booty calls real easy

oregonpackfan
06-19-2009, 06:03 PM
The news the other night showed some teen-aged girl from Iowa winning a national texting contest. She won for a combination of speed and being able to text effectively while blindfolded.

It also mentioned this same girl sends approximately 14,000 texts a month! :shock:

She also wins the "Get a life" award, IMO.

Scott Campbell
06-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Maybe people are not used to setting their social calender 5 months in advance. How do we know we won't get better offers between now and then?

Better offer???

Have you done anything better in the last 5 years than hanging out with Nutz and Skin at titty bars?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-19-2009, 07:33 PM
The news the other night showed some teen-aged girl from Iowa winning a national texting contest. She won for a combination of speed and being able to text effectively while blindfolded.

It also mentioned this same girl sends approximately 14,000 texts a month! :shock:

Would you be saying this if she was from oregon? :wink:

That girl won 50k. BTW, did you notice that typical teenage look on her face, "the i can't believe you are bothering me while texting look." Priceless.

I have a feeling if your daughter won 50k for texting, you'd be on this board crowing..Ty sure would be. That is a nice sum for college.

Mr. T
06-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Was the reply a pic message?

Partial
06-20-2009, 01:01 AM
LOL, what you first texted in 2006? Welcome to late 90's bro. Snake is/has always been technologically jacked, but really, really hates texting personally, as it takes more time than a phone call.....then you have to wait 5 min. for a reply, then vice versa like crazy for 25-30 min. when you could just pick the phone up and say it all in 30 sec.

OK, Snake texted his buddy tonite after work, but I knew it was of nothing of great importance, but that shit makes Twitter look all the more weak. WTF is the point of that? I thought text was for that? I only text when, I don't want to call..so what is Twitter? That is truly for nerds/attention whores...I'm sure you Twitter, eh, Partial? What did you have for breakfast? I truly care.

2006 is when SMS really took off. Who texted in the late 90s? The qwerty phone was pretty rare. I'm sure the technology did exist, though, then.

I'm big on the texting. Quick, painless, doesn't require a phone call when you're at work, etc.

I don't twitter. It's more of a marketing thing, anyway, imo. Great way to get the word out about start up companies, for example.

RashanGary
06-20-2009, 10:03 AM
I like texting. I have an LG260. It's a pretty basic phone, but has a great keyboard. It's a solid, well designed phone though. No quirks that annoy me. I hated texting before I had the full keyboard - took way too long.

Harlan Huckleby
06-20-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a far more advanced text messaging system. I use a full screen display, ergonomic keyboard, and text editor to compose and send messages. My E-Mail system positively rocks.

RashanGary
06-20-2009, 10:18 AM
I have a far more advanced text messaging system. I use a full screen display, ergonomic keyboard, and text editor to compose and send messages. My E-Mail system positively rocks.

Except that you have to carry around a big ass computer and nobodies thigh vibrates when you send it. Texts are a great way to communicate quickly while at work or in a meeting or at dinner or in a boring social situation where you just want to kill some time while mr. boring talks about his stupid day.

Also, you send a text, and as soon as the receiver is available, he/she will read/respond to the text. The person can get the message discretely by simply looking at the screen of his phone.

There are endless advantages. It's here to stay and anyone without a full keyboard is missing out IMHO.

oregonpackfan
06-20-2009, 10:19 AM

That girl won 50k. BTW, did you notice that typical teenage look on her face, "the i can't believe you are bothering me while texting look." Priceless.

I have a feeling if your daughter won 50k for texting, you'd be on this board crowing..Ty sure would be. That is a nice sum for college.

Her monthly texting averages almost 470 texts a day!

I doubt if she uses that $50K cash prize for college. She will probably have to spend it for psychotherapy to cure her obsessive-compulsive desire to text! :)

Harlan Huckleby
06-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Texts are a great way to communicate quickly while at work or in a meeting or at dinner or in a boring social situation where you just want to kill some time while mr. boring talks about his stupid day.

why the hell would i wnat to communicate when I'm at dinner or at a social situation or meeting? Its just a neurotic habit that adds no real value. Live in the moment, man, be aware of the people and world arround you. Death to iPods and text messaging. For efficiency purposes, just kill everybody under 35.

Scott Campbell
06-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Texts are a great way to communicate quickly while at work or in a meeting or at dinner or in a boring social situation where you just want to kill some time while mr. boring talks about his stupid day.

why the hell would i wnat to communicate when I'm at dinner or at a social situation or meeting? Its just a neurotic habit that adds no real value. Live in the moment, man, be aware of the people and world arround you. Death to iPods and text messaging. For efficiency purposes, just kill everybody under 35.

Young people can multitask Harlan.

Harlan Huckleby
06-20-2009, 11:35 AM
OK, perhaps I've thought too narrowly. Kill everybody Scott Campbell's age and younger.

Harlan Huckleby
06-20-2009, 12:44 PM
hey, I'm more with-it than you think. I just now got my second twitter friend, or whatever you call them - "twits"?

I was notified that someone named Rhiannon Neal is now following my updates on Twitter. I checked her last tweet: "I just want to get fucked hard before I start settling down" and it has a link to a website.

Is this some kind of scam, or should introduce myself?

HarveyWallbangers
06-20-2009, 01:58 PM

I'm with you. It's annoying as hell. I was hanging out with my mother-in-law last night, and she kept texting my wife's younger (spoiled) sister. I finally just left the room and surfed the Internet instead.
:D

RashanGary
06-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm with you. It's annoying as hell. I was hanging out with my mother-in-law last night, and she kept texting my wife's younger (spoiled) sister. I finally just left the room and surfed the Internet instead.
:D

Way to live in the moment, enjoy life today :)

Joemailman
06-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Death to iPods and text messaging. For efficiency purposes, just kill everybody under 35.

I*'m 51 and have an Ipod. Do I get to stay?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-20-2009, 04:42 PM

2006 is when SMS really took off. Who texted in the late 90s? The qwerty phone was pretty rare. I'm sure the technology did exist, though, then.
I'm big on the texting. Quick, painless, doesn't require a phone call when you're at work, etc.

I don't twitter. It's more of a marketing thing, anyway, imo. Great way to get the word out about start up companies, for example.

This is what Ty loves about you. The fact that before you were doing it, nobody was. You are like a child that can't believe that his parents ever listened to music, had sex, etc.

Considering that 99 was 10 years ago, and you were like maybe 13 at best...you don't know what adults were doing. While you were still hoping to cop a feel many of us were texting.

I had my first Treo in 02 and was texting plenty...and was behind the curve.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-20-2009, 04:47 PM

I doubt if she uses that $50K cash prize for college. She will probably have to spend it for psychotherapy to cure her obsessive-compulsive desire to text! :)

Do you have daughters? I don't, but i do recall teenage girls..and they would talk for 2 hours a night in high school at minimum. No difference. If you've seen kids text, they are mighty quick..and some of those messages are like 2 words.

If i had a daughter, i'd rather have them texting than tying up the landline for hours at a time.

MJZiggy
06-20-2009, 05:01 PM

Do you have daughters? I don't, but i do recall teenage girls..and they would talk for 2 hours a night in high school at minimum. No difference. If you've seen kids text, they are mighty quick..and some of those messages are like 2 words.

If i had a daughter, i'd rather have them texting than tying up the landline for hours at a time.

They have their own cell phones now. You still have a landline?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-20-2009, 05:15 PM

They have their own cell phones now. You still have a landline?

I know they have cell phones, hence they text. But, even you must admit that talking on a landline is easier than a cell. Hence, they would want to talk on the landline phone over the cell..assuming privacy isn't the issue.

Either way, talking on a landline, cell, or texting..makes no diff to me...teenage girls are gonna communicate with their friends a ton.

The average woman speaks 25k words per day. Those teenage girls are prolly way over that....so, considering how fast they text...it really isn't a big thing with 400 or so texts a day. I bet they crack close to 50 before they get to school.."what you wearing?" "The blue X" "No, you should wear X" blah blah.

Landline: Ty hasn't had one since 00. First person i knew without one.

oregonpackfan
06-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Yes, Tyrone. I have two daughters--two of them. I swear my 15 year old would rather go to school nude rather than go to school without her cell phone! :)

I also grew up with FIVE sisters so I know about teenage girls tying up landlines(people only fantasized about cell phones after watching Kirk communicate to Scotty on Star Trek). My Dad was constantly telling my third sister to "Wind it up and get off the phone."

Texting over 400 messages a day is still unnecessary and unhealthy, IMO.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, Tyrone. I have two daughters--two of them. I swear my 15 year old would rather go to school nude rather than go to school without her cell phone! :)

I also grew up with FIVE sisters so I know about teenage girls tying up landlines(people only fantasized about cell phones after watching Kirk communicate to Scotty on Star Trek). My Dad was constantly telling my third sister to "Wind it up and get off the phone."

Texting over 400 messages a day is still unnecessary and unhealthy, IMO.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. I dont' find it any more unhealthy than talking on the phone for 2 hours a day. Unnecessary? My god, you lived with girls and you think discussing outfits and boys to the umpteenth degree is unnecessary? :wink:

I grew up with all boys..so we didn't have that problem..though my mom would spend quite a bit of time on the phone in the evenings.

We weren't suppose to be on the phone for long periods in case hospitals were trying to get ahold of my dad.

P.S. i don't think you read the article right.

Moore reportedly sent more than 400 texts a day to hone her speed and accuracy.

She was texting that much to get better. That is called practice and intestinal fortitude!

Also:
Among her uses of the text messages? Studying for exams with friends, which she says is better done by text because she can look back at the messages to review.

SnakeLH2006
06-21-2009, 02:49 AM
400 texts a day? Wow.

Partial
06-21-2009, 09:31 PM

This is what Ty loves about you. The fact that before you were doing it, nobody was. You are like a child that can't believe that his parents ever listened to music, had sex, etc.

Considering that 99 was 10 years ago, and you were like maybe 13 at best...you don't know what adults were doing. While you were still hoping to cop a feel many of us were texting.

Wow Ty, and I guess because you started 3 years after the 1990s.... meaning a 13 year after 1990, is really relevant and a fair assessment.

Texting has gone up in frequency astronomically over the past few years. Google it yourself. Stop being a bitch. The evidence is absolutely undeniable.

edit: Here you go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SMS_messages_sent_monthly_in_USA_(in_billions ).svg

Partial
06-21-2009, 09:33 PM
400 texts a day? Wow.

2nded.

GrnBay007
06-21-2009, 09:49 PM
1st time my son had 7,000 texts for the month he got a lecture. 2nd time it happened he lost the phone for awhile. It hasn't happened since. That was ridiculous.

Brando19
06-21-2009, 09:58 PM
1st time my son had 7,000 texts for the month he got a lecture. 2nd time it happened he lost the phone for awhile. It hasn't happened since. That was ridiculous.

How dare you punish him! Isn't carpal tunnel punishment enough? :lol:

Partial
06-21-2009, 10:04 PM

Good lord. That is out of control. Holy lot of texts! I feel like I do it a lot at maybe 10 a day!!

GrnBay007
06-21-2009, 10:08 PM

Good lord. That is out of control. Holy lot of texts! I feel like I do it a lot at maybe 10 a day!!

At the time he had a lil g/f who was a text queen. She's gone now and his new one is big on facebook. Now I have to control the computer....lol It's not too bad though now that it's summer, he's definitely an outside kinda kid.

GrnBay007
06-21-2009, 10:09 PM

How dare you punish him! Isn't carpal tunnel punishment enough? :lol:

:lol:

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 12:50 PM

At the time he had a lil g/f who was a text queen. She's gone now and his new one is big on facebook. Now I have to control the computer....lol It's not too bad though now that it's summer, he's definitely an outside kinda kid.

The kids PC is in a loft facing the stairs - a very public area. The monitor is 42 inches. They thought the size was really cool when I first got it because they can watch movies on it and stuff. Hehehe. I've told them I'll get them laptops once they graduate HS.

We don't have any problems.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-22-2009, 07:09 PM

Wow Ty, and I guess because you started 3 years after the 1990s.... meaning a 13 year after 1990, is really relevant and a fair assessment.

Texting has gone up in frequency astronomically over the past few years. Google it yourself. Stop being a bitch. The evidence is absolutely undeniable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SMS_messages_sent_monthly_in_USA_(in_billions ).svg

That is what Ty loves about you, the fact that don't understand logic.

You made the statement it was rare, yet you had no proof. I have a concrete example...myself and noted i felt i was behind.

Who said it hadn't gone up. That isn't the point, you said it was rare. It wasn't.

Partial
06-22-2009, 08:31 PM

You made the statement it was rare, yet you had no proof. I have a concrete example...myself and noted i felt i was behind.

Who said it hadn't gone up. That isn't the point, you said it was rare. It wasn't.

Are you seriously going to dispute a greater an increase of 80x? It clearly was rare. How was it not again besides the fact that you arbitrarily felt behind and did it yourself. The statistics I provided clearly show the increase I talked about.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 08:35 PM
I thought Skinbasket created a nice home for these sorts of discussions.

SkinBasket
06-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Apparently Partial is allowed to do whatever he wants under the new regime. It feels a lot like the old regime.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-22-2009, 09:58 PM

Are you seriously going to dispute a greater an increase of 80x? It clearly was rare. How was it not again besides the fact that you arbitrarily felt behind and did it yourself. The statistics I provided clearly show the increase I talked about.

Stats: which were they? Your link doesn't work. :oops:

rare1  /rɛər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rair] Show IPA

–adjective, rar⋅er, rar⋅est. 1. coming or occurring far apart in time; unusual; uncommon: a rare disease; His visits are rare occasions.

Clearly you dont' understand your mother tongue.

Initial growth of text messaging was slow, with customers in 1995 sending on average only 0.4 messages per GSM customer per month.[1] One factor in the slow take-up of SMS was that operators were slow to set up charging systems, especially for prepaid subscribers, and eliminate billing fraud which was possible by changing SMSC settings on individual handsets to use the SMSCs of other operators. Over time, this issue was eliminated by switch-billing instead of billing at the SMSC and by new features within SMSCs to allow blocking of foreign mobile users sending messages through it. By the end of 2000, the average number of messages per user reached 35

Partial
06-23-2009, 12:26 AM
The link does work. Copy and paste the full link. It's a limitation of PHPBB, not a bad link. Here's a full URL for you Ty.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/SMS_messages_sent_monthly_in_USA_%28in_billions%29 .svg

GBRulz
06-23-2009, 02:16 AM
It's just the way the younger generation communicates these days. As long as they aren't texting in class, losing sleeping at night or doing it while driving, I see nothing wrong with it. I guess I don't see it any different as when I used to tie up the phone every night for 2-3 hours!!

Ty and Partial's discussion is actually making me think of when I first sent my first text... I want to say 2005? I don't really remember anyone doing it much before then and I was even working for AT&T at the time where they gave us unlimited everything cell phones and landline/DSL services.

MJZiggy
06-23-2009, 06:40 AM
My only issues with it are that they text in shorthand and SOME don't learn to translate the text into English putting them at a disadvantage when they want a job that requires language skills, and that texting while going back and forth with someone on the other end is a solitary activity much like posting to a forum. You're solitary and silent while doing it and typing does not use the same language centers that are required to keep the mind sharp. When my dad had Alzheimers, the doctors credited my mom because she still took him to every social function she could get her hands on because it was good for both of them. The doctors said the disease progressed more slowly because he had to use verbal skills and challenge his brain to come up with and say the word he needed. I'm not saying that kids will all die of Alzheimers, but that face-to-face contact and human touch are important social interactions that cannot be replaced by typing into a phone.

SkinBasket
06-23-2009, 07:38 AM
human touch are important social interactions that cannot be replaced by typing into a phone.

I don't know. I was a little "excited" after sending it. I even used all the character limit. I couldn't find the punctuation though, so that took some of the sexy off it, otherwise I would have been set for the night.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-23-2009, 12:41 PM
The link does work. Copy and paste the full link. It's a limitation of PHPBB, not a bad link. Here's a full URL for you Ty.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/SMS_messages_sent_monthly_in_USA_%28in_billions%29 .svg

Congrats on another worthless link.

Really no need to read it as you have been proven completely wrong.

Partial
06-23-2009, 03:43 PM

Proven? By whom and where? There was about 100 million texts in '01. That is 1 text for every 3 people in America over the course of a year. Last year there were 800 texts for every 3 people in America. That is 80000% increase.

So, again, how was I proven wrong?

Worthless link? You're the wikipedia king. Stings to get beat at your own game, doesn't it.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-23-2009, 08:10 PM

Proven? By whom and where? There was about 100 million texts in '01. That is 1 text for every 3 people in America over the course of a year. Last year there were 800 texts for every 3 people in America. That is 80000% increase.

Worthless link? You're the wikipedia king. Stings to get beat at your own game, doesn't it.

You just proved it yourself. If there is 1 text for every 3 people...that hardly qualifies as rare.

Learn english, then get back to me.

I already quoted...in 2000, 35 texts per month for the average user.

Nobody disputes that it is growing, only that it wasn't rare.

Time to man up.

falco
06-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I think partial takes enough heat for the dumb things he says, I don't think you really need to quarrel semantics with him.

Unless you are doing it just for fun, in which case I guess the joke is on him.

Scott Campbell
06-23-2009, 09:32 PM
How many text messages sent in 2001? Riveting stuff fellas.

I'd rather watch The View with Harlan.

Little Whiskey
06-23-2009, 09:38 PM
sorry wrong thread. maybe it would have fit here too

Partial
06-23-2009, 10:16 PM

You just proved it yourself. If there is 1 text for every 3 people...that hardly qualifies as rare.

Time to man up.

1 text for every 3 people in a country over an entire year?!? That is .0009 texts per person per day compared to .73 texts per person per day today.

What is the source of you 35 texts per month? I find that very hard to believe.

Scott Campbell
06-25-2009, 01:27 PM
In a related note, what did you think about Shaq finding out that he got traded through NBA fans on Twitter?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-25-2009, 05:01 PM

Time to man up.

1 text for every 3 people in a country over an entire year?!? That is .0009 texts per person per day compared to .73 texts per person per day today.

Sigh. That doesn't make it rare. 100 million..yes, that i rare. :roll:

P.S. Nice use of poor logic. Considering that you are now increasing the sample size...instead of talking about phone users.

By that logic, the iphone is practically extinct. But, you wouldn't argue that would you.

Strawman: Nobody is talking about the increase.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS

SnakeLH2006
06-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Sigh....

Not to get caught up in this..but Snake feels sorry for getting this topic going for laughing at Partial about text getting going in 2006, when I used to text in the late 90's....and prob. about as much today. Not much.

Snake's Summarizing Take:

Partial: Text is rare as hell before 2006. Maybe they (Snake, many of his buds had the tech back then) did have it though back in the late 90's. You are all stupid haxors. My phone l33t FTW suxorz!
Ty: Sigh....Just because peeps send tons more texts per user, doesn't mean the tech wasn't there and peeps didn't use it, albeit no where near as often as current. Sigh.
Snake: Sigh. I agree with Ty. The tech was there, just more peeps use it now. Is logic that hard P? :cry: :roll:

Partial
06-26-2009, 09:19 AM

Time to man up.

P.S. Nice use of poor logic. Considering that you are now increasing the sample size...instead of talking about phone users.

By that logic, the iphone is practically extinct. But, you wouldn't argue that would you.

100 million texts in a year is extremely rare given their are 3 million people in the world and 130ish characters isn't very many to deliver a message.

I don't know why you're still arguing. I've posted crystal clear evidence, but you can't admit that you're wrong :lol:

Partial
06-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Christ, nobody said people didn't text. I have been texting since what 2002? It is rare compared to now. Extremely rare. Wow. Use your heads. Look at the numbers. Less than 1% of what it is now.

SkinBasket
06-26-2009, 09:22 AM
100 million texts in a year is extremely rare given their are 3 million people in the world and 130ish characters isn't very many to deliver a message.

I don't know why you're still arguing. I've posted crystal clear evidence, but you can't admit that you're wrong :lol:

I'm pretty sure this "fact" isn't accurate. Do I need a source?

Partial
06-26-2009, 09:35 AM

I'm pretty sure this "fact" isn't accurate. Do I need a source?

300 million in USA. Typo :lol:

sheepshead
06-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Christ, nobody said people didn't text. I have been texting since what 2002? It is rare compared to now. Extremely rare. Wow. Use your heads. Look at the numbers. Less than 1% of what it is now.

You have friends?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-26-2009, 04:40 PM

Time to man up.

Yeah. You really know the definition of rare.

1 out of 3 people isn't rare.

Partial
06-26-2009, 05:23 PM

Time to man up.

.33 text messages per person. Now, there is 266.7 texts sent per person. Pretty rare compared to what it is now within society. Pretty tough to dispute something

Tyrone Bigguns
06-26-2009, 05:31 PM

Time to man up.

.33 text messages per person. Now, there is 266.7 texts sent per person. Pretty rare compared to what it is now within society. Pretty tough to dispute something

Only you are comparing today to then. Strawman.

False argument again, you have to compare number of texts sent by the number of phones in use.

Either way...you don't understand english.

Iphones are extremely rare. Prolly at best 25 million sold in U.S. That is 1/12 iphone per person.

Scott Campbell
06-26-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.rejectedjokes.com/picture_library/nerdautograph.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
06-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Scott,

You really don't get what i'm doing.

Partial
06-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm sure he very much understands that an only an idiot would make the argument that text messaging was a main stream world trend back in the 1990s. It wasn't. Since it wasn't a main stream global trend (as it is now), it was rare. Ipso facto, you're wrong and trying to twist words around to make your internet ego further inflated.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-26-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm sure he very much understands that an only an idiot would make the argument that text messaging was a main stream world trend back in the 1990s. It wasn't. Since it wasn't a main stream global trend (as it is now), it was rare. Ipso facto, you're wrong and trying to twist words around to make your internet ego further inflated.

Strawman again. Nobody said main stream. Nice of you to now change it to the 90s.

Global trend. Are you sure you wanna go there?

Iphones are rare. 1/12 of america has them. RARE, RARE, RARE.

Freak Out
06-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Weasels ripped my flesh.

MJZiggy
06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
The man in the crush on the metro yesterday, threatened to chew his arm off waiting to get home to have some food. He was hot enough I almost offered my arm. Instead we got into a conversation about World Bank projects and what we'd BE having for dinner by now if things were normal. Like socializing in a mosh pit. I can't wait til they figure out what went so horribly wrong.

falco
06-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Do you guys realize what you are arguing about? And that nobody cares.

I'm sure you can find something better to pick on partial about.

Freak Out
06-26-2009, 06:51 PM
The man in the crush on the metro yesterday, threatened to chew his arm off waiting to get home to have some food. He was hot enough I almost offered my arm. Instead we got into a conversation about World Bank projects and what we'd BE having for dinner by now if things were normal. Like socializing in a mosh pit. I can't wait til they figure out what went so horribly wrong.

They still haven't figured out what went wrong yet?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Do you guys realize what you are arguing about? And that nobody cares.

I'm sure you can find something better to pick on partial about.

You have it all wrong. I'm not arguing..it is an experiment to see how long/far he will spin.

MJZiggy
06-26-2009, 07:39 PM

They still haven't figured out what went wrong yet?

They THINK it might have something to do with a faulty sensor. Either way, they're running the trains a little less than 10 minutes apart and at a top speed of 38 mph. (they used to run about 2-5 minutes apart at 59 mph) Add in that yesterday there was some mechanical difficulty (not unusual) that had trains in both directions sharing a track and it's a recipe for losing all semblance of personal space. If all the guys (including the one who stepped on my toes) looked like the hottie, I wouldn't mind so much. Then again, considering the stop we got on, there's only a 50% shot he's straight anyway...

retailguy
06-26-2009, 08:19 PM
They THINK it might have something to do with a faulty sensor. Either way, they're running the trains a little less than 10 minutes apart and at a top speed of 38 mph. (they used to run about 2-5 minutes apart at 59 mph) Add in that yesterday there was some mechanical difficulty (not unusual) that had trains in both directions sharing a track and it's a recipe for losing all semblance of personal space. If all the guys (including the one who stepped on my toes) looked like the hottie, I wouldn't mind so much. Then again, considering the stop we got on, there's only a 50% shot he's straight anyway...

Sounds like a great way to get to work. :wink: Nothing personal, but I'm glad I don't have to look forward to your normal commute, much less the current one.

Sorry to hear that things are so rough for you right now.

MJZiggy
06-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, today I had to go to an area of town with no metro service (GASP!) so I drove and got to sit in a traffic jam with music and several square feet of my own personal space (that said, there were no cute guys to commiserate with and often I can get some things done on the train--just not this week).

It's not so bad and the job is totally worth it.

Partial
06-27-2009, 01:06 AM

Strawman again. Nobody said main stream. Nice of you to now change it to the 90s.

Absolutely are rare. No doubt about it. Same with text messaging prior to the year I listed :lol:

SnakeLH2006
06-27-2009, 01:39 AM

Absolutely are rare. No doubt about it. Same with text messaging prior to the year I listed :lol:

Seriously dude, P, Ty was/is right....you were talking about text phones in general as being rare....Maybe peeps text hella now, but I know (did myself with many buds) text was prevalent in 1999, just not as fluent. Where are you going with this? Peeps text more now, but your original point was that peeps with access/phones were rare before 2006. WTF are you spewing? It's entertaining to hear you post though.

Partial
06-27-2009, 01:50 AM

Seriously dude, P, Ty was/is right....you were talking about text phones in general as being rare....Maybe peeps text hella now, but I know (did myself with many buds) text was prevalent in 1999, just not as fluent. Where are you going with this? Peeps text more now, but your original point was that peeps with access/phones were rare before 2006. WTF are you spewing? It's entertaining to hear you post though.

LOL, not at all. Said welcome to 2006 after Skin said he made his first text. Then, said texting really took off in 2006. How can this possibly be disputed? Some of you guys will argue over anything and it's truly ridic. I just need to learn to turn the other cheek and not waste my time...

falco
06-27-2009, 09:08 AM

LOL, not at all. Said welcome to 2006 after Skin said he made his first text. Then, said texting really took off in 2006. How can this possibly be disputed? Some of you guys will argue over anything and it's truly ridic. I just need to learn to turn the other cheek and not waste my time...

Look, normally I want to beat partial with a big stick covered in dogshit as much as the rest of you guys. But in this case he's got a point - he was simply commenting on the exponential growth of texting over the last few years. Maybe he wasn't polite about it, but come on do we really need to argue about everything?

And snake my man, what the hell? You come in to a 10 page thread arguing semantics over the meaning of the word "rare," and then talk about how texting is more "fluent" in 2006 than in was in 1999???? :lol:

Scott Campbell
06-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I just need to learn to turn the other cheek and not waste my time...

I think you've confused turning the other cheek with spreading them.

SkinBasket
06-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I just need to learn to turn the other cheek and not waste my time...

I think you've confused turning the other cheek with spreading them.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/kayfisha/4018c2859f7e6a86f8df1c25ee18dcf7.gif

Tyrone Bigguns
06-27-2009, 05:36 PM

Only in your world is 100 million rare. :oops:

Partial
06-28-2009, 12:57 AM

It is RARE compared to 80 billion, which is the point.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-28-2009, 01:07 AM

It is RARE compared to 80 billion, which is the point.

that isn't what you stated in the beginning.

Sorry, but 100 million to 80 billion doesnt' make 100 million rare. You need to learn english.

coming or occurring far apart in time; unusual; uncommon: a rare disease; His visits are rare occasions.

SnakeLH2006
06-30-2009, 11:39 PM

Look, normally I want to beat partial with a big stick covered in dogshit as much as the rest of you guys. But in this case he's got a point - he was simply commenting on the exponential growth of texting over the last few years. Maybe he wasn't polite about it, but come on do we really need to argue about everything?

And snake my man, what the hell? You come in to a 10 page thread arguing semantics over the meaning of the word "rare," and then talk about how texting is more "fluent" in 2006 than in was in 1999???? :lol:

I don't get your rip. What are your talking about Falco?

flu·ent (flnt)
adj.
a. Able to express oneself readily and effortlessly

It's easier to text now than then (1999) with the new textpads, etc. It is more FLUENT now. Just don't get it yo. What's the rip/so funny with fluent? Text has been around for a decade...harder to do back then, but definitely not rare...it was harder to do, but definitely not RARE. That was the whole point. Peeps did it and do now. Partial's arguement had to do with numbers/if anybody texted in the 90's. I said yes, we did. It was harder to do, but many did it. Much more do now more FLUENTLY.

Partial
07-01-2009, 06:32 AM
much more do it now period. 100 million in America to 80 billion. As is... 800x more.

falco
07-01-2009, 05:47 PM

flu·ent (flnt)
adj.

It's easier to text now than then (1999) with the new textpads, etc. It is more FLUENT now. Just don't get it yo. What's the rip/so funny with fluent? Text has been around for a decade...harder to do back then, but definitely not rare...it was harder to do, but definitely not RARE. That was the whole point. Peeps did it and do now. Partial's arguement had to do with numbers/if anybody texted in the 90's. I said yes, we did. It was harder to do, but many did it. Much more do now more FLUENTLY.

My bad dude. Misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-01-2009, 06:44 PM
much more do it now period. 100 million in America to 80 billion. As is... 800x more.

Another strawman.

Partial
07-01-2009, 08:48 PM

Another strawman.

How is that a strawman? it's an undeniable fact.

SkinBasket
07-01-2009, 09:18 PM

Another strawman.

Drosophila melanogaster will produce new adults in two weeks. That's an undeniable fact too.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-01-2009, 09:54 PM

Another strawman.

When you understand what a strawman is..then we can talk.

Partial
07-01-2009, 10:00 PM

Another strawman.

When you understand what an undeniable fact... we can talk.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-01-2009, 10:02 PM

Another strawman.

When you understand what an undeniable fact... we can talk.

What do facts have to do with it. Nobody disputes your facts. This is another strawman.

Partial
07-01-2009, 10:10 PM
You're trying to pass off a nearly 10x increase per user as nothing. That is just flat out crazy.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-01-2009, 10:40 PM
You're trying to pass off a nearly 10x increase per user as nothing. That is just flat out crazy.

Find that statement. Ty will be waiting.

Another strawman.

mraynrand
07-01-2009, 10:44 PM
What's the rate of the 100 million in the 90s? How many people were sending how many texts on average? What's the average today per user?

Partial
07-01-2009, 10:48 PM

Another strawman.

How is that a strawman? If the average tpu was 35, and it is now 265ish, that is nearly 10x. Boy oh boy, you're dense.

mraynrand
07-01-2009, 10:50 PM

Another strawman.

How is that a strawman? If the average tpu was 35, and it is now 265ish, that is nearly 10x. Boy oh boy, you're dense.

Are those the numbers? Is that per/week or what?

Partial
07-01-2009, 11:12 PM

Another strawman.

Ty made some BS claim about 35 texts per person. Not sure where it came from. According to a credible source I posted, there are 80,000,000,000 texts sent in the USA alone last year. Assuming everyone has a cell phone, thats 260ish per person.

Harlan Huckleby
07-02-2009, 01:08 AM
aren't a lot of those text messages computer-generated spam?

SkinBasket
07-02-2009, 07:13 AM

Black people text me things like, "I aint 4got bout u. I went out of town, sum shit took place. But every thang gone work out. It got 2." at 3 am.

Cheesehead Craig
07-02-2009, 08:40 AM

Black people text me things like, "I aint 4got bout u. I went out of town, sum shit took place. But every thang gone work out. It got 2." at 3 am.
Sorry, that was me. I meant to send that to Harvey.

mraynrand
07-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Text messages should be legal safe and rare.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 05:52 PM

Another strawman.

Funny, how you didn't post that, just another strawman.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 05:53 PM

Another strawman.

Ty made some BS claim about 35 texts per person. Not sure where it came from. According to a credible source I posted, there are 80,000,000,000 texts sent in the USA alone last year. Assuming everyone has a cell phone, thats 260ish per person.

Your source was Wiki, ty's was wiki...yet, ty's is bullshit. You asked where it came from..ty gave it to you..now, you pretend that you aren't sure. :lol:

Partial
07-02-2009, 06:48 PM

Another strawman.

?

Do the math. I have no idea how many cell phones there are in America. I do know that 80,000,000,000+ texts were sent in America. I also know there are ~300,000,000 people in america.

80,000,000,000 / 300,000,000 = 266.67

Bam. And thats making the extremely wrong suggestion that every man women and child has a cell phone, when in reality its probably closer to 200,000,000, since it was 159 mil in 2003 according to many sources.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Another strawman.

?

Do the math. I have no idea how many cell phones there are in America. I do know that 80,000,000,000+ texts were sent in America. I also know there are ~300,000,000 people in america.

Bam. And thats making the extremely wrong suggestion that every man women and child has a cell phone, when in reality its probably closer to 200,000,000, since it was 159 mil in 2003 according to many sources.

You're trying to pass off a nearly 10x increase per user as nothing.

Still waiting for you to show me where i was trying to pass off.

Partial
07-02-2009, 07:20 PM

Another strawman.

?

You're trying to pass off a nearly 10x increase per user as nothing.

Still waiting for you to show me where i was trying to pass off.

[quote=Partial][quote=Tyrone Bigguns][quote=Partial]You're trying to pass off a nearly 10x increase per user as nothing. That is just flat out crazy.

Another strawman.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Have no idea what you are trying to say.

Still waiting for you to show me where ty was trying to pass of the increase as nothing.

Partial
07-02-2009, 07:26 PM

Still waiting for you to show me where ty was trying to pass of the increase as nothing.

They're rare compared to now. The point I have originally made has been mathematically proven. and.... Boom goes the dynamite!

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 07:35 PM

They're rare compared to now. The point I have originally made has been mathematically proven. and.... Boom goes the dynamite!

Still waiting.

The point you made was "who was texting" it was rare. You never said compared today.

Nobody but you would consider 100 million rare. 100 mill is less than today. Rare. Not a chance.

mraynrand
07-02-2009, 08:02 PM
where have I witnessed such scintillating debate before?

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 08:25 PM

It isn't a debate.

Partial
07-02-2009, 08:52 PM

Still waiting.

The point you made was "who was texting" it was rare. You never said compared today.

Nobody but you would consider 100 million rare. 100 mill is less than today. Rare. Not a chance.

Isn't it implied that it's compared to today? Regardless, it is rare when it looking at it compared to today. The total texts and texts per user are both micro-fractions of what they are.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 09:32 PM

Still waiting.

Isn't it implied that it's compared to today? Regardless, it is rare when it looking at it compared to today. The total texts and texts per user are both micro-fractions of what they are.

No. It isn't implied.

Camparison is a strawman.

Rare is rare. There aren't degrees.

mraynrand
07-02-2009, 09:45 PM

It isn't a debate.

That's the truth

Cheesehead Craig
07-02-2009, 10:19 PM
We now interrupt this inane argument with a picture of a hot cheerleader.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Red-hot-Cheerleader-nfl-cheerleaders-770313_288_432.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 10:40 PM
We now interrupt this inane argument with a picture of a hot cheerleader.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Red-hot-Cheerleader-nfl-cheerleaders-770313_288_432.jpg

It isn't an argument, it is an excercise.

SnakeLH2006
07-03-2009, 11:18 PM

flu·ent (flnt)
adj.

My bad dude. Misunderstood what you were trying to say.

It's all good, Falco. I thought it was clear, but I'll to be more fluent, unlike Partial's twist and turn arguments. Partial would make a great Internet lawyer like Johnnie Cochran, "If you don't get my post's gists, I gotta give it some 180 twists.". :shock: :lol: