PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Year Players-Who Has Break Out Season?

Joemailman
06-20-2009, 06:27 PM
The 3rd year of a career is when a lot of players start to make an impact. 1st year is often a humbling learning experience. 2nd year they start to assert them selves a bit. 3rd year they make an impact if they're talented enough.

Which of these 3rd year players have the best chance at a break out season?

Note: I did not include players who are already starters, such as Ryan Grant, Mason Crosby and Korey Hall. Vote other if you wish.

Joemailman
06-20-2009, 06:29 PM
For me it's Justin Harrell. If he can stay healthy, and he's healthy now, he has the perfect skill set for the LDE position. A close second would be Allen Barbre. Opportunity knocks.

hoosier
06-20-2009, 07:07 PM
If I have to pick one I pick Barbre over Harrell. I still think of Harrell in terms of the reports that were coming out about him last winter, that his back was really screwed up and wasn't responding to the surgeries and treatments. Has that changed? In any case, until he manages to stay on the field for a whole season I'm going to be thinking Harrell as an injury waiting to happen.

The lingering doubts about Barbre: he hasn't done anything yet, and MM has had the same blocking system in place for four off-seasons now and still hasn't managed to establish continuity in the form of known starters. That, in my view, is the most disappointing aspect of his tenure in GB--and perhaps the only really negative mark against him.

oregonpackfan
06-20-2009, 07:34 PM
I voted for James Jones. I remain highly impressed at how well he catches the ball with his hands away from his body.

He was plagued with nagging injuries last year which hindered his development. He showed me a tremendous amount of potential his rookie season.

By the third season, receivers often come into their own. I am not claiming Jones is HOF material but I think he can become a solid starter.

The Leaper
06-20-2009, 08:18 PM
I vote for Jones...he has the size and strength to be a huge asset in the redzone. I wouldn't be surprised to see less of Driver on the field this year inside the 20, because Driver has really disappeared in the redzone the last couple years. Jones should be able to step up in that regard...along with Finley.

RashanGary
06-22-2009, 08:01 AM
I voted Tramon. He seems like a great fit for this defense. Problem is, he's already broken out. He had a great year last year. I think Tramon being good is a pretty safe bet.

If the guy who broke out was Harrell, I think it would be the biggest help to this team. DL is extremely important to the run game and pass game. Having good depth is the difference between 2007 and 2008.

Administrator
06-22-2009, 08:04 AM
I've got to go with Barbre too. I just don't see Harrell getting past the injuries. It can happen, he's not washed up yet, but the chance isn't good.

Harrell just reminds me of Cletius Hunt. All the potential in the world, but just can't put it together. In the few games I've seen him in, he'll flash something extraordinary but then disappear. I haven't heard a bunch of knocks coming out about being lazy, so theres a difference to Hunt, but otherwise.... It is just kind of sad.

sheepshead
06-22-2009, 08:50 AM
I took Jones, but there BETTER be more than one or we're HOSED!

Zool
06-22-2009, 08:51 AM
I took Jackson. I'm still on this bandwagon and holding out hope that he can become a 1-2 punch with Grant.

Deputy Nutz
06-22-2009, 08:58 AM
I don't know how someone could pick Justin Harrell much less six of you at the time of this post.

I picked Brandon Jackson. I think he can really have a break out season. He was a project coming out and really showed some nice things last year, although in small spurts. Could really make a nice one-two punch with Grant

SkinBasket
06-22-2009, 09:01 AM
I wanted to pick Donald Driver, but he wasn't on the list. I don't think there's much of a chance any of those other guys has a break down season. They're still pretty young.

woodbuck27
06-22-2009, 09:06 AM
My vote is for Tramon Williams. I like his chances as things now appear to to seize an opportunity to have a solid season.

woodbuck27
06-22-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't know how someone could pick Justin Harrell much less six of you at the time of this post.

I picked Brandon Jackson. I think he can really have a break out season. He was a project coming out and really showed some nice things last year, although in small spurts. Could really make a nice one-two punch with Grant

Yes. He showed us something last season Deputy Nutz.

Waldo
06-22-2009, 09:21 AM
The lingering doubts about Barbre: he hasn't done anything yet, and MM has had the same blocking system in place for four off-seasons now and still hasn't managed to establish continuity in the form of known starters.

Ummm........

Clifton-Colledge-Wells-Spitz-Tausher has been our healthy lineup for all but the Chiefs game in '07 (Colledge was benched in favor of Coston) throughout MM's tenure.

What am I missing?

pbmax
06-22-2009, 09:28 AM
I think Williams broke out last season. I think Harrell could, but you can't count on it, especially not when its a back that might crop up him. Barbre has the best chance to make a name for himself this year.

Packnut
06-22-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm going with Jones due to the fact the 3rd season for WC WR's is usually the break-out season. Only fly in the ointment is Nelson taking away snaps but I have little faith in our run game and our D is going to have growing pains, so it's logical to assume A-Rod's arm is gonna be worn out.....

Gunakor
06-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Because the only knock against Harrell is his injuries. As long as he can get past the injuries and stay healthy, he's talented enough to be a dominant DE for us. Much better than Cullen Jenkins (also injured often, could open up the door for Harrell), and certainly more talented than Jolly.

As bad as his injury history has been, they are unrelated injuries. So we can't say that he's not going to get healthy this year simply because he was injured for most of last year and the year before. His injuries last year were unrelated to his injuries his rookie season, so no legitimate cause for concern this year - unless it's just "Well, he's always injured, so he'll never get healthy" which makes no sense from a medical perspective without identifying a chronic issue.

Assuming then that he'll get healthy enough to play significant time this year, an assumption based on the non-related injuries he's dealt with and should be getting over, his talent matched with the talented coaching staff he'll now be working with should be enough for Harrell to have his breakout season. The only reason to assume he won't is if you believe he'll never see the football field. I think he will.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't know how some.

Hope springs eternal for high draft picks.

I voted for Barbre.

Fritz
06-22-2009, 02:50 PM
I voted for James Jones. Because I like the guy. I don't know why.

I had a breakout season when I was fourteen.

pbmax
06-22-2009, 02:53 PM

What cleaned it up Vitamin A or penicillin? :lol:

Fritz
06-22-2009, 02:55 PM

Clearasil. :oops:

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 03:09 PM

Nice. What was her name?

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 03:10 PM

I like your response better. :lol:

DonHutson
06-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Harrell and Barbre clearly have the best opportunities, as they have starting jobs to lose. Harrell has more talent, so I voted for him. Hopefully he can stay on the field.

While Jones has the talent to be more productive, he also needs to get more consistent. Even if he does make some strides, he might not have the opportunity to show it all that often. I don't see him getting ahead of Nelson and/or Driver.

I think last year might have been the break-out season for Williams. Until he becomes a starter, I'd be pretty happy with more of the same from him. He could also improve his consistency, but I'd be surprised if he improves more than he did last year.

While this is technically Bigby's fourth year on the roster, it will be his third as a regular player. If he can get himself 100% healthy, I'll vote for him. I think he's got a great chance to become an impact player in this D.

RashanGary
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
It seems like every week the reporters are writing about Tramon Williams doing something great in blanket coverage (INT's, breakup, etc. . )

It seems like he's making more plays than both Woodson and Harris. We forget how young Williams is and he came from a small school. I'm very, very intrigued by him. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if he turned into a probowl player at some point in his career. I see his low potential as being an average starter and his high potential as being a top 15 CB in the NFL. I'm basing it off his play last year, the year before and now this big offseason where he keeps making plays in the new defense.

wist43
06-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Williams...

Hopefully Barbre can step up... Harrell is a bust.

RashanGary
06-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Williams...

:lol:

I've watched him a little at OTA's. He looks like a slug. I'm still hoping :)

RashanGary
06-23-2009, 12:38 PM
To me, James Jones or Tramon don't even belong on this list. 50 catches, 700 yards as a rookie is breaking out. 5 int's and 20 pass breakups in one season is breaking out (Blackmon has zero pass breakups and zero interceptions in three years for comparisons sake).

Take those two away and I'd vote Jackson. He's shown he's a tough runner but hasn't gotten the opportunity.

After that, I'd go Bishop and Barbre.

Gunakor
06-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Harrell is a bust.

I hope you're wrong. The Justin Harrell I saw at Tennessee would be a great asset on our defensive line.

Fritz
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
It seems like every week the reporters are writing about Tramon Williams doing something great in blanket coverage (INT's, breakup, etc. . )

It seems like he's making more plays than both Woodson and Harris. We forget how young Williams is and he came from a small school. I'm very, very intrigued by him. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if he turned into a probowl player at some point in his career. I see his low potential as being an average starter and his high potential as being a top 15 CB in the NFL. I'm basing it off his play last year, the year before and now this big offseason where he keeps making plays in the new defense.

Intrigued like you were intrigued by the chesty redhead? Ooh, Justin!

On a serious note, you write elsewhere that Harrell looks like a "slug." Ouch. Just not getting off blocks?

hoosier
06-23-2009, 01:00 PM
The lingering doubts about Barbre: he hasn't done anything yet, and MM has had the same blocking system in place for four off-seasons now and still hasn't managed to establish continuity in the form of known starters.

Ummm........

Clifton-Colledge-Wells-Spitz-Tausher has been our healthy lineup for all but the Chiefs game in '07 (Colledge was benched in favor of Coston) throughout MM's tenure.

What am I missing?

Is it really certain that your ineup would have started every healthy game the last two years? There was frequent talk last summer of starting Spitz at center and Sitton at RG even if Wells was healthy. The point I was trying to make was that none of the nominal OL starters, with the possible exception of Colledge, seem to have really secured a position and developed into a solid starter. Spitz seemed like he was on the verge of doing so last fall, but then (by all reports) he had a regression last year. Tauscher and Clifton are showing signs of breaking down and it's far from clear whether the Packers have their replacements on the current roster. The OL isn't a disaster, and it's possible that this is the year it gels into a solid unit, but it's not there yet.

Scott Campbell
06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Williams...

:lol:

I've watched him a little at OTA's. He looks like a slug. I'm still hoping :)

Slug? You are talking about Harrell - right?

If so, not good.

RashanGary
06-23-2009, 01:38 PM
He doesn't look quick at all. He looks big and slow. I've barely watched him though, it's an observation of one or two plays.

rbaloha1
06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Voted for JH. Working with Pickett and Raji allows JH to possibly flourish. The size, power and explosion should surface this season on a consistent basis.

Runner up is Brandon Jackson. Never goes down after initial contact and learned how to read blocks better. Already the best pass receiver. The Grant/Jackson may rival the Levens/Bennett tandem.

Guiness
06-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Agreed that Jones and Williams shouldn't be there. Done too much already to truly be considered 'break out' unless one goes pro bowl or something.

I'd like to say Harrel, but Jackson is more likely, IMO.

Joemailman
06-23-2009, 05:12 PM
I see the points about Jones and Williams not belonging on the list. In the case of Jones, he had a poor finish in 2007, and then had an injury-plagued season in 2008. He's had just 24 catches in the Packers last 20 games, so I wouldn't say he's as established as some think.

In the case of Williams, he could have a break-out season for 2 reasons. First, he may be a better fit for this defense than Al Harris is. Second, Harris is at an age where he could start to decline. If he does, Williams will have a real opportunity.

falco
06-23-2009, 05:23 PM
I see the points about Jones and Williams not belonging on the list. In the case of Jones, he had a poor finish in 2007, and then had an injury-plagued season in 2008. He's had just 24 catches in the Packers last 20 games, so I wouldn't say he's as established as some think.

In the case of Williams, he could have a break-out season for 2 reasons. First, he may be a better fit for this defense than Al Harris is. Second, Harris is at an age where he could start to decline. If he does, Williams will have a real opportunity.

Williams had a real opportunity last year, and showed he is the second coming of Deion Sanders.

Joe, did you even watch any games last year???

Joemailman
06-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I did. I thought he played great when filling in for Al Harris. I thought he did not play quite as well when filling in for Woodson when Woodson was moved to safety. I think he's a talented player who still has room for improvement.

falco
06-23-2009, 05:42 PM
I did. I thought he played great when filling in for Al Harris. I thought he did not play quite as well when filling in for Woodson when Woodson was moved to safety. I think he's a talented player who still has room for improvement.

I agree completely. I was being overly dramatic. I think he'll be a solid starter for the next 5-6 years.

Willard
06-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Wynn. Just a hunch....and I wanted to be different.