PDA

View Full Version : FAVRE ALREADY A VIKING?

gbpackfan
06-21-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/21/favre-already-under-contract-with-vikings/

I wouldn't be surprised. The man really knows how to kill a legacy!

ThunderDan
06-21-2009, 03:29 PM
If he is already a Viking I will puke.

He goes on Joe Buck and says we will see how my arm heals and then this. I would bet this can't be true.

MJZiggy
06-21-2009, 03:52 PM

He goes on Joe Buck and says we will see how my arm heals and then this. I would bet this can't be true.

You're right. It can't be true without the NFL's blessing (remember Favre is retired and this time filed the papers. Goodell doesn't have to reinstate him. Probably would, but if he did, it would have leaked when it happened (aren't league office actions public record?).

That said, I'm not sure my reaction would be so visceral.

Lurker64
06-21-2009, 03:54 PM

You think that Brett can't sit there and tell a bald-faced lie?

Patler
06-21-2009, 04:09 PM
I suspect they have the details worked out on salary, length, etc., and all that has to happen is for Favre to commit, sign the contract. That would be consistent with the Vikings saying recently that it is all up to Favre at this point. It would also mean that there is nothing for the Vikings to report to the league office yet.

Rastak
06-21-2009, 04:39 PM

You're right. It can't be true without the NFL's blessing (remember Favre is retired and this time filed the papers. Goodell doesn't have to reinstate him. Probably would, but if he did, it would have leaked when it happened (aren't league office actions public record?).

That said, I'm not sure my reaction would be so visceral.

I'm not sure he actually did file those papers.....there has been some dispute. I can say there would be no reason whatsoever to not reinstate him since it's considered a formality and if you think the NFL doesn't want this compelling story going on you're crazy! (Not saying you're crazy Zig!)

Anyway, the Favre-o-meter is now sitting at a 90% chance he's under center for the purple.

MJZiggy
06-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Unless the arm doesn't heal. Takes a bit longer with us old farts remember.

My point wasn't that Goodell wouldn't have reinstated him; it was that if he had (and remember he did it for the Jets even though there were no papers), it would have been made public.

Rastak
06-21-2009, 05:46 PM

My point wasn't that Goodell wouldn't have reinstated him; it was that if he had (and remember he did it for the Jets even though there were no papers), it would have been made public.

Agree on the old fart thing but my point is also that I'm not 100% sure he really did file those papers to begin with. I read something to the effect that he may not have earlier this year.

I'm really not sure.

MJZiggy
06-21-2009, 05:50 PM
That's not the point I was after. After his first retirement, he never filed his papers, yet still had to request reinstatement from the league. Kinda makes you wonder why they bother with the retirement papers in the first place, doesn't it? So if he didn't file papers, but had to be reinstated the first time, the same should hold true this time, thus leading to the league recording and subsequent reporting.

Rastak
06-21-2009, 05:54 PM
That's not the point I was after. After his first retirement, he never filed his papers, yet still had to request reinstatement from the league. Kinda makes you wonder why they bother with the retirement papers in the first place, doesn't it? So if he didn't file papers, but had to be reinstated the first time, the same should hold true this time, thus leading to the league recording and subsequent reporting.

I don't think he did. If he didn't file his papers he's a straight up free agent. Nothing more, nothing less.

rbaloha1
06-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Bring it on! This is going to end ugly for #4 ala Unitas.

MJZiggy
06-21-2009, 06:09 PM
You're right, because he was still under contract with the Packers at the time...but was released by the Jets. So, this year if he didn't turn in the papers, he is a free agent. Impressive move. Hold a second "my decision is final and not going to change" press conference and leave the door open to change your mind...

Deputy Nutz
06-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Favre had to file for reinstatement last year because the Packers put him on the retired list, or whatever they call it.

This year he retired and was then released by the Jets

MJZiggy
06-21-2009, 06:15 PM
That's what I just said...

Rastak
06-21-2009, 06:16 PM
You're right, because he was still under contract with the Packers at the time...but was released by the Jets. So, this year if he didn't turn in the papers, he is a free agent. Impressive move. Hold a second "my decision is final and not going to change" press conference and leave the door open to change your mind...

He didn't hold any press conference this year if you recall. Not a word other than he's likely done for good. Given the injury, I can understand why....in fact, I put his chances at coming back at 30% earlier in the year when discussing with Viking and Packer fans at work.

As for the Jets thing, they had no cap room and no interest in bringing him back with a new administration in place. They wanted to move on and build something new with the new staff.....hence the Sanchez deal. I can assure you they were not getting anything in a trade....mainly because the TT fear of him playing against the Packer clause in the trade and because the Jets simply couldn't have his salary count against the books if he declared he was coming back.

MJZiggy
06-21-2009, 06:29 PM
I know that part, I just thought I recall reading a quote saying he was really finished this time. Given the injury, I still don't see his return as set in stone just yet, though.

Rastak
06-21-2009, 06:36 PM
I know that part, I just thought I recall reading a quote saying he was really finished this time. Given the injury, I still don't see his return as set in stone just yet, though.

I agree to a point. When he saw Dr. Andrews, who is an expert in this field, he only had a minor procedure. I have to assume if Dr Andrews found major damage as was feared then that would have been it right there. It wouldn't make sense to have a minor procedure done at all if this were the case.

The only way he calls it now is if his arm is just too damn old to get back into shape, which is what you alluded to. I'm guessing the injury isn't going to stop him, just his age if anything does.

pbmax
06-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Favre did hold a press conference with the local New York guys several days after the announcement of his Jet retirement. That is probably the source of Ziggy's recollection about how his body had finally given out this time and was also the confirmation that he had had an additional injury to an existing shoulder injury.

And I think Nuts is right, he will not need reinstatement this year. While it was reported he had filed paperwork after the Jet's retirement (pension, health care, etc.) that won't keep him from signing with the Vikes. Last year he had to get off the reserve/retired list to be allowed back into camp, and that required Goodell's signature. The Packers put him there to keep his rights and get the cap off the books. I doubt he can be on that list with the Jets anymore since he was released.

Patler
06-21-2009, 07:05 PM
As for the Jets thing, they had no cap room and no interest in bringing him back with a new administration in place. They wanted to move on and build something new with the new staff.....hence the Sanchez deal.

Who knows, but the story at the time was that they told Favre they wanted him back, and if he needed time to evaluate his arm he could have it. He told them no.

The Jets said they would have made cap room for Favre. That wasn't the issue.

Patler
06-21-2009, 07:15 PM

Here's one:

"I have family and friends who are like, 'All right, Brett. Is this the real deal?'" Favre said during a conference call. "To me, it is. It is. Believe me. It's been a wonderful career, I couldn't ask for anything more. It was worth a shot for me to go to New York. I wish I could've played better down the stretch. I didn't.

"It's time to leave."
"It's something that obviously I was able to play with," he said. "I don't think I was nearly as productive as the season progressed, but it very well could be fine next year. I'm well aware of that. But then again, it could linger and bother me throughout the year and I just felt like it was time. I think that, to me more than anything, was a wakeup call."

Favre insisted that even if his shoulder felt better next season, he's still done with playing.

"It's nothing I would second-guess, no," he said.

and another in a USA Today interview:

"I have family and friends who say 'All right Brett is this the real deal?' " Favre said in an evening conference call.

"It is. Believe me."

Rastak
06-21-2009, 07:15 PM
As for the Jets thing, they had no cap room and no interest in bringing him back with a new administration in place. They wanted to move on and build something new with the new staff.....hence the Sanchez deal.

Who knows, but the story at the time was that they told Favre they wanted him back, and if he needed time to evaluate his arm he could have it. He told them no.

I highly doubt that, I really do. I admit there is no way to know but I can't imagine why they would do that.

MJZiggy
06-21-2009, 07:17 PM

I highly doubt that, I really do. I admit there is no way to know but I can't imagine why they would do that.

Butts in the seats?

pbmax
06-21-2009, 07:19 PM
The Jets and Giants are having trouble selling the licenses for the most expensive seats at the new field.

Patler
06-21-2009, 07:21 PM

Butts in the seats?

Yup, that's it. A billion dollar albatross around their necks, and Favre could have been a $10-15 million effort to rid themselves of it.

Rastak
06-21-2009, 07:22 PM
The Jets and Giants are having trouble selling the licenses for the most expensive seats at the new field.

The old guy who got hurt and the team missed the playoffs puts butts in the seats? Not in that market is my guess. Hope always springs eternal for the first year.

When they started cutting guys to make room for a guy who may never play again, I'm guessing the NY fans wouldn't have been too pleased. Were I the GM, I would have considered that a stupid idea. They were tight against the cap and there was too much uncertainty. New coach, I can't fathom a scenario where this would have made sense.

Patler
06-21-2009, 07:31 PM

The old guy who got hurt and the team missed the playoffs puts butts in the seats? Not in that market is my guess. Hope always springs eternal for the first year.

When they started cutting guys to make room for a guy who may never play again, I'm guessing the NY fans wouldn't have been too pleased. Were I the GM, I would have considered that a stupid idea. They were tight against the cap and there was too much uncertainty. New coach, I can't fathom a scenario where this would have made sense.

Actually, a one year plan with a "healed" Favre like he played the 1st 10 games would have been fine, and would have given more time to prepare a successor. They could have played it up quite nicely.

Rastak
06-21-2009, 07:36 PM

Actually, a one year plan with a "healed" Favre like he played the 1st 10 games would have been fine, and would have given more time to prepare a successor. They could have played it up quite nicely.

Perhaps.

I guess if I were starting off as a first time head coach I would know I have a semi-small grace period to build my team, so I'd probably be anxious to make it look good long term.....we'll have to agree to disagree. When it was all going down I had a real hard time seeing Favre stay in NY for that price given all the other circumstances and financial implications to the rest of the team.

Would have been a fun deal had they cut some guys to keep him and then he decided to call it a day AFTER the cap damage was done and the big marketing push was underway.

Again, we'll disagree....I just don't see it.

cpk1994
06-21-2009, 08:10 PM

Agree on the old fart thing but my point is also that I'm not 100% sure he really did file those papers to begin with. I read something to the effect that he may not have earlier this year.

I'm really not sure.Those papers are irrelevant(they are onnly for retirement benfits) just as they were last year. Favre has to ask for reinstatement, just like he did last year.

pbmax
06-21-2009, 08:16 PM
I agree Ryan might have been cold water on the idea, but he might not have the total say over decisions that his bluster with Channing Crowder might indicate. Ryan kept Brian Schottenheimer as O coordinator. He might love him, but I have never head of those two linked before.

One other thing, Mike Greenberg of Mike and Mike in the Morning was elated when Favre arrived. Up until the Cardinal's game he seem disappointed by Favre each week. Even after wins, he had doubts about the offense. There was an uptick after the 6 TD game, but even then it was clear he felt Favre was a mixed blessing. Then end of the season was predictable (in terms of Greenberg's reaction).

I don't take Greenberg for a football expert by any stretch, but he is a long time Jet fan. And I do wonder if even during the hot start, what the Approve/Disapprove ratings would have been for Favre. I think overall its a plus to be winning and trying to sell seats, but I doubt it was unconditional enthusiasm. Oddly enough, the one way to get unconditional enthusiasm amongst the fan base is to have a hot shot first round rookie QB. There are no pesky replays of his flaws available yet, while you are marketing the stadium.

Brando19
06-21-2009, 09:07 PM

You're right...his team missed the playoffs...BARELY. We were talking about the New York freaking Jets. They wouldn't have even dreamed of the playoffs if it weren't for Favre. The Jets wanted Favre back. He retired...so they moved on. Sounds familiar.

Joemailman
06-21-2009, 09:27 PM
You're right...his team missed the playoffs...BARELY. We were talking about the New York freaking Jets. They wouldn't have even dreamed of the playoffs if it weren't for Favre. The Jets wanted Favre back. He retired...so they moved on. Sounds familiar.

Actually, the Jets were a playoff team in 2006 when Pennington and Coles were healthy. Injuries killed them in 2007. I'm not so sure they wouldn't have been a playoff team if they had stuck with Pennington last year.

woodbuck27
06-21-2009, 11:50 PM

After last season Favre had a choice to remain a Jet. The organization informed us 'via the press statements' that he was welcomed back for 2009.

Subsequent to that Favre said that the Jets shouldn't count on his services in 2009 and that he was seriously considering permanant retirement. I took it that he was only offering fair advice, so that the Jets could make any adjustments needed at their QB position and well in advance of the 2009 draft.

GO PACKERS!

woodbuck27
06-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Hey (anyone here)? Want the newest Favre jersey.

Choice of color:

purple

http://www.escapetosports.com/remivibrfapr1.html

or white

http://www.escapetosports.com/remivibrfapr.html

Could it be true? Not until it's official.

GO PACK GO!

SMACKTALKIE
06-22-2009, 01:13 AM

Choice of color:

purple

or white

GO PACK GO!

Those look like jerseys from bizzaro world.

woodbuck27
06-22-2009, 01:46 AM

Choice of color:

purple

or white

GO PACK GO!

I suspect :lol: their not official.

Fritz
06-22-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm not going to post any more about Favre. Believe it.

Fritz
06-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Seriously. I'm not.

Administrator
06-22-2009, 12:03 PM

Actually, the Jets were a playoff team in 2006 when Pennington and Coles were healthy. Injuries killed them in 2007. I'm not so sure they wouldn't have been a playoff team if they had stuck with Pennington last year.

The jets have a real see saw effect going on here too. One season they are good, the next they aren't good. It's more than injuries.

Favre would've probably brought them a little consistency from the 4-12 then 10-6, then 5-11 saga.

I truly think they'd have taken him back if he wanted to come. even with Sanchez on the roster.

hoosier
06-22-2009, 12:30 PM

Choice of color:

purple

or white

GO PACK GO!

Kinda weird when you see your everyday reality in a new light, isn't it? :lol:

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 01:45 PM

Choice of color:

purple

or white

GO PACK GO!

If you're going to spend that kind of dough on a jersey, I'd ask them to velcro his name on the back for easy removal. If you don't believe me, just ask the Jets suckers who shelled out big bucks last summer.

Pacopete4
06-22-2009, 01:49 PM

Choice of color:

purple

or white

GO PACK GO!

If you're going to spend that kind of dough on a jersey, I'd ask them to velcro his name on the back for easy removal. If you don't believe me, just ask the Jets suckers who shelled out big bucks last summer.

I got one last year and I still wear mine at funny times... I don't think I can get myself to wear one of those purple stinkers though... but my friends insist on buying me one

Lurker64
06-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I got one last year and I still wear mine at funny times... I don't think I can get myself to wear one of those purple stinkers though... but my friends insist on buying me one

If you're getting a purple Favre jersey gratis, why not get an Atlanta Falcons one too and display all four (or more? Who's to say what he does next year) framed as gallery pieces?

Gunakor
06-22-2009, 01:58 PM

Choice of color:

purple

or white

GO PACK GO!

Their money, I suppose. I'd even let them, though I'd have to warn them ahead of time that they're wasting money. I'm sure I could find some practical use for the thing.

Are there a lot of Vikings fans up there in the Superior area?

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 01:59 PM
I got one last year and I still wear mine at funny times...

A Favre Jets jersey? Too bad you can't get some kind of trade in value on the Vikings jersey.

Gotta ask - what's a "funny time"?

Pacopete4
06-22-2009, 02:05 PM

A Favre Jets jersey? Too bad you can't get some kind of trade in value on the Vikings jersey.

I don't think I'd do it. I like the way the Jets jersey looks, my favorite color is green. But ya know, like if something funny is going on if ur going out somewhere. Kinda hard to explain I guess. I've worn it to a funny jersey party once, sometimes to the bar if the Packers werent playing that day. Stuff like that.

Zool
06-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Might as well pick up a #4 Falcons jersey too.

woodbuck27
06-22-2009, 02:19 PM

If you're getting a purple Favre jersey gratis, why not get a New Orleans Saints one too and display all four (or more? Who's to say what he does next year) framed as gallery pieces?

Falcons-Packers-Jets

He is officially still a FA or retired? It's a tough chore to keep up with it all. :D

I read a joke in the Montreal Gazette yesterday. It's a new toast originating from some contributor from Wisconsin..

''May your troubles last only as long as a Brett Favre retirement.''

GO PACKERS!

Pacopete4
06-22-2009, 02:21 PM

I'd say its about 50/50, kinda like the Brewers/Twins fans thing, same thing goes. Superior is right across the bridge from Duluth, MN so we gotta put up with a lot of clowns. The great thing about Viking fans is when their team starts stinking.. we don't hear much from them, well at least where I'm from anyways.

Pacopete4
06-22-2009, 02:21 PM

I've always wanted to get his Southern Miss jersey.. dunno why I never did.

Zool
06-22-2009, 02:23 PM

I've always wanted to get his Southern Miss jersey.. dunno why I never did.

Cause it was torn pretty much every game. All his SM highlights have him getting chased.

Packers4Ever
06-22-2009, 02:31 PM
[quote=Pacopete4]

I don't think I'd do it. I like the way the Jets jersey looks, my favorite color is green. But ya know, like if something funny is going on if ur going out somewhere. Kinda hard to explain I guess.

Fritz
06-22-2009, 02:52 PM
If any of this is true about a contract agreement, Patler's post makes the most sense. There is no contract - thus no violation of league rules - but ther5e may be an agreement in principal.

And Childress thinks Favre's arm is fine, huh?

It's smelling more and more like a done deal.

Beat the Vikes! Hard!

woodbuck27
06-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Packerrats.

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head, moreless my heart around Brett Favre wearing a Vikings jersey. That thought is as close to the concept of ' being unreal ' as anything I've ever seen in sports. There's a real possibility of ' the WOW factor, in there I suspect, but Lord Thunderin'.

GO PACK GO!

Gunakor
06-22-2009, 03:03 PM
If any of this is true about a contract agreement, Patler's post makes the most sense. There is no contract - thus no violation of league rules - but ther5e may be an agreement in principal.

And Childress thinks Favre's arm is fine, huh?

It's smelling more and more like a done deal.

Beat the Vikes! Hard!

It's been a done deal for a month now. It became a done deal the day Favre had surgery. For a guy so deathly afraid of the knife, I don't think he'd have done it unless he was fully committed to a return at that time.

hoosier
06-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head, moreless my heart around Brett Favre wearing a Vikings jersey.

Does this help?

http://216.117.157.184/740thefan/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/viking-favre.jpg = http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/traitor.jpg

woodbuck27
06-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head, moreless my heart around Brett Favre wearing a Vikings jersey.

Does this help?

http://216.117.157.184/740thefan/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/viking-favre.jpg = http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/traitor.jpg

Jaysus! He's still got that ''don't piss me off '' look in his eyes. Where did you ever uncover that picture? It really doesn't help to convince me any more of the reality of Favre and Minnesota.

GO PACKERS!

MOBB DEEP
06-22-2009, 04:15 PM

Choice of color:

purple

or white

GO PACK GO!

sigh, thats me SC...good thing i got a raise last year and due for one this year...lol...whats a 100 dollars a year?

if ziggy sends me her favre/packer joint i will have all 3.....falcons would be cool but im not pressed

LETS GOOOOOOOO....

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Choice of color:

purple

or white

GO PACK GO!

sigh, thats me SC...good thing i got a raise last year and due for one this year...lol...whats a 100 dollars a year?

if ziggy sends me her favre/packer joint i will have all 3.....

LETS GOOOOOOOO....

:lol:

At least you admit it Mobb.

MOBB DEEP
06-22-2009, 04:30 PM
SC if u remember i was quite possibly the 1st poster to admit im more a favre fan than a pack fan; even started a thread/poll discussing that quandry over at JSO

i postualated that its b/c of favre that MANY became pack fans (for me it was sharpe) and that with FA i started to dig players above teams because we cant control trades, drafts, etc

Freak Out
06-22-2009, 04:53 PM
SC if u remember i was quite possibly the 1st poster to admit im more a favre fan than a pack fan; even started a thread/poll discussing that quandry over at JSO

i postualated that its b/c of favre that MANY became pack fans (for me it was sharpe) and that with FA i started to dig players above teams because we cant control trades, drafts, etc

Favre brought millions of people into the Packer fold.....he was fun to watch and they were WINNING after all those years. A true test is how many remain since he left......PackerRats is still pretty busy. :)

Packers4Ever
06-22-2009, 05:00 PM

I'd say its about 50/50, kinda like the Brewers/Twins fans thing, same thing goes. Superior is right across the bridge from Duluth, MN so we gotta put up with a lot of clowns. The great thing about Viking fans is when their team starts stinking.. we don't hear much from them, well at least where I'm from anyways.

`8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8=8-8

Hi Paco, very similar to the way we're treated by da bears when we're in trouble and things aren't going very well for us, they'll start up again by mid-summer, I'm sure! :lol:

Gunakor
06-22-2009, 05:00 PM

Favre brought millions of people into the Packer fold.....he was fun to watch and they were WINNING after all those years. A true test is how many remain since he left......PackerRats is still pretty busy. :)

It's still Favre.

Just sayin.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 05:05 PM

I get it, and have no problem with it. But there's a reason that they didn't choose the name FavreRats.com.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Adding Favre Is An “All-In” Move For Childress
Posted by Mike Florio on June 22, 2009, 5:42 p.m. EDT

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/22/adding-favre-is-an-all-in-move-for-childress/

I think it was an all in move for Mangini last year too. Here's hoping that history repeats itself.

falco
06-22-2009, 06:13 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/22/favre-not-required-to-request-reinstatement/

retailguy
06-22-2009, 06:41 PM

I'm really not sure.Those papers are irrelevant(they are onnly for retirement benfits) just as they were last year. Favre has to ask for reinstatement, just like he did last year.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/22/favre-not-required-to-request-reinstatement/

There has been some confusion regarding the status of quarterback Brett Favre, given that he filed retirement papers earlier this year. Some of you have asked whether he will be required to request reinstatement before signing with the Vikings.

The answer is no.

Once the Jets released Favre from the reserve-retired list, the reinstatement issue became irrelevant.

“He’s a free agent,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told us via e-mail today.

So Favre can sign with the Vikings, or anone else, without having to take any steps to formally unretire.

Just to clear up a little more mis-information...

retailguy
06-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Well. Falco beat me to it.... oops. :P

falco
06-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Well. Falco beat me to it.... oops. :P

Its okay RG, my post was much lazier than yours! :D

Packers4Ever
06-22-2009, 06:58 PM

I get it, and have no problem with it. But there's a reason that they didn't choose the name FavreRats.com.

And................ ??? :?:

MOBB DEEP
06-22-2009, 07:02 PM

QFT

MOBB DEEP
06-22-2009, 07:04 PM
bus cook refutes favre has signed per nfl network

falco
06-22-2009, 07:05 PM

QFT

true, favre certainly was the face of the organization the last 15 years.... but the packers also had a waiting list for tickets before him

MOBB DEEP
06-22-2009, 07:14 PM

no doubt....u know i love u man and have NO rebuttal

how long u think favre lovers will still be around here? until he retires?

MOBB DEEP
06-22-2009, 07:15 PM

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/22/adding-favre-is-an-all-in-move-for-childress/

I think it was an all in move for Mangini last year too. Here's hoping that history repeats itself.

true about mangini imo

cpk1994
06-22-2009, 07:28 PM
bus cook refutes favre has signed per nfl networkOf course becuase if he said Favre had a contract before informing the league first, Goodell would asking to chat with certain people.

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 07:35 PM

no doubt....u know i love u man and have NO rebuttal

how long u think favre lovers will still be around here? until he retires?

I suspect most will be back as Packer fans, but still a little ticked at Ted.

packrat
06-23-2009, 09:38 PM
At least as a Packer fan I've been able to cheer on my team now for more than 50 years--you Favre fans are soon going to have to be looking for a new "hero". Ticked at Ted? Hell no! He improved the team when he upgraded at QB last year. He, in contrast to TOG, has loyalty to something other than himself--he is loyal to the Packers, not to a single player whose day has passed.

Pacopete4
06-23-2009, 09:39 PM
At least as a Packer fan I've been able to cheer on my team now for more than 50 years--you Favre fans are soon going to have to be looking for a new "hero".

why can't people be both?

Lurker64
06-23-2009, 10:57 PM
At least as a Packer fan I've been able to cheer on my team now for more than 50 years--you Favre fans are soon going to have to be looking for a new "hero".

You can't be a fan of one team and also cheer for their division rivals. It just doesn't work that way.

packrat
06-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Believe me, I was a Favre fan when he was Packer, and I still have fond memories of his contributions to the Packers. But the Pack comes first. Before Favre, before TT

woodbuck27
06-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Hahaahahahaha! :lol:

woodbuck27
06-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Scott your possessed. DAMNED.

Yup.

Media reports all over New York State reported that Eric Mangini was fully confident that his Jets would move up from 'only four wins in the 2007 season' to the Super Bowl in 2008. Now that he had Brett Favre as his QB.

Scott. He only named his son after Brett Favre not Jesus Christ.

PACKERS on the mend (sometime).

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Scott your possessed. DAMNED.

Will you keep my seat warm? :lol:

GO PACK GO!!!!

:glug:

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Scott. He only named his son after Brett Favre not Jesus Christ.

I heard the Mangini's had it narrowed down to Brett and Damian.

GO PACK GO!!! :glug:

http://www.homevideos.com/movies-covers/omen.jpg

woodbuck27
06-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Agent Denies Favre, Vikings Have A Deal

Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 24, 2009, 11:56 a.m. EDT

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/24/agent-denies-favre-vikings-have-a-deal/

MOBB DEEP
06-24-2009, 02:46 PM

You can't be a fan of one team and also cheer for their division rivals. It just doesn't work that way.

why did ted (infamy) thompson put us in this quandry?

DAYUM...!!!

Packers4Ever
06-24-2009, 04:20 PM

I think you can, Lurker, state lines can be like swinging doors.
I spent quite a bit of time over at the Mpls Star newspaper yesterday, reading the blogs in sports. I was surprised to read how many were very
happy to know that Favre will be coming to their house to play very soon. Many had been fans of his for years, but many said they'd continue to support the Vikes regardless ??

Interestingly, the blog was also re Fran Tarkenton and his commentary last week re Brett. He sounds like a very bitter man, usually the older retired players have pleasant memories of the player being discussed. Not so with him, he didn't have the "smarts" enough to be even a little polite. I think it's mostly jealousy over never having won a SB.

It seems there are usually divided fans from both sides, don't most Bears worship the Pack? :D

Chevelle2
06-24-2009, 07:20 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31475915/ns/sports-nfl/

Vikings, Favre reportedly agree to deal
QB will attend Minnesota's training camp; No. 4 jerseys already ordered

http://www.cbs58.com/index.php?aid=8077&

Brett Favre signs with Minnesota

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/107731-favre-looking-for-minnesota-home?eref=fromSI

Latest buzz is Brett Favre is looking for a home in the gated Bearpath community in Eden Prairie, which isn't far from the Vikings' facilities.

Freak Out
06-24-2009, 07:26 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31475915/ns/sports-nfl/

Vikings, Favre reportedly agree to deal
QB will attend Minnesota's training camp; No. 4 jerseys already ordered

http://www.cbs58.com/index.php?aid=8077&

Brett Favre signs with Minnesota

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/107731-favre-looking-for-minnesota-home?eref=fromSI

Latest buzz is Brett Favre is looking for a home in the gated Bearpath community in Eden Prairie, which isn't far from the Vikings' facilities.

It's getting colder in hell.

Chevelle2
06-24-2009, 07:31 PM
ESPN has been strangely quite since the Buck interview.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 07:44 PM

I spent quite a bit of time over at the Mpls Star newspaper yesterday, reading the blogs in sports. I was surprised to read how many were very
happy to know that Favre will be coming to their house to play very soon. Many had been fans of his for years, but many said they'd continue to support the Vikes regardless ??

Interestingly, the blog was also re Fran Tarkenton and his commentary last week re Brett. He sounds like a very bitter man, usually the older retired players have pleasant memories of the player being discussed. Not so with him, he didn't have the "smarts" enough to be even a little polite. I think it's mostly jealousy over never having won a SB.

It seems there are usually divided fans from both sides, don't most Bears worship the Pack? :D

How in the world do you think this contradicts what Lurker said. Vikings fans can be fans of brett, but that doesn't mean they cheered for the pack.

Ty can be a fan of AD, but in no way am i cheering for the vikes.

woodbuck27
06-24-2009, 08:37 PM

I look forward to Packers and Viking games anytime but Vikings and Favre will be so exciting. I can't lose with that scenario either and look forward to the pre and post game analysis.

There is no such thing as absolutes. I know that but . . .

We're discussing a Legend here. Brett Favre. I'm in the camp that is dealing personally with those that actually profess hatred for Brett Favre. I don't get hatred, moreso hatred for someone that gave, helped give us so much.

I have one huge concern for Brett Favre. That he may end up very seriously injured. To realize that there are actually fans of my team (the Packers) that may applaud that outcome for Brett Favre is hardly bareable. I can't deal respectfully with anyone that hates.

This will be my team in 2009. I allow for the conflict in myself now realizing Favre won't play forever:

Packers

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm in the camp that is dealing personally with those that actually profess hatred for Brett Favre.

The Packers "hate" the Bears.
The Vikings "hate" the Packers.
My girls "hate" boys. For the time being.

This hatred is no more real then when I said that you hate Ted. I wouldn't take it too literally.

cpk1994
06-24-2009, 08:46 PM

why did ted (infamy) thompson put us in this quandry?

DAYUM...!!!Ted didn't put you in that quandry, Brett did. Remember, when he "retired" for the first time? And then unretired? This is all on Brett, not TT.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 08:48 PM
The sooner Brett signs, the closer we are to kicking his ass.

cpk1994
06-24-2009, 08:49 PM
ESPN has been strangely quite since the Buck interview.I get the feeling it's becuase they have been burned so many times by Favre in the alst 3 months that they aren't as quick to pull any triggers on his stories anymore.

MJZiggy
06-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Buck,

I don't think the majority of the people here want to see Favre seriously injured or even injured at all. I think people would like to see Favre spending some time looking up at the inside of the dome because he got sacked so much...

Chevelle2
06-24-2009, 09:39 PM
I need a witty anti-brett status on facebook once this goes down...

Fritz
06-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Buck,

I don't think the majority of the people here want to see Favre seriously injured or even injured at all. I think people would like to see Favre spending some time looking up at the inside of the dome because he got sacked so much...

I'd also like to see a few of those plays where he throws it right into a linebacker's arms.

Pugger
06-25-2009, 10:33 AM
I'll believe BF is a queen when there is a formal announcement in Minneapolis. Am I the only one who is kinda surprised BF isn't signed? If his arm is pain free what is the hold up here?? :?: Or will he sign right before TC begins (or will he try to get out of TC altogether?)?

Rastak
06-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I'll believe BF is a queen when there is a formal announcement in Minneapolis. Am I the only one who is kinda surprised BF isn't signed? If his arm is pain free what is the hold up here?? :?: Or will he sign right before TC begins (or will he try to get out of TC altogether?)?

No TC is not an option, nor would he even want that as an option.

Speculation is he wants to make 100% sure his arm is sound before officially signing. He's technically still rehabbing it. The latest rumor has an announcement 7/3 but that's complete speculation. Anytime during early or mid July works perfectly fine. It's the deadest time of year in the NFL.

hoosier
06-25-2009, 10:46 AM

Speculation is he wants to make 100% sure his arm is sound before officially signing. He's technically still rehabbing it. The latest rumor has an announcement 7/3 but that's complete speculation. Anytime during early or mid July works perfectly fine. It's the deadest time of year in the NFL.

What better time for a circus? :P

Rastak
06-25-2009, 10:56 AM

What better time for a circus? :P

Exactly!

The tents will go up and Mankato Minnesota will become ESPN's midwest headquarters.

And in the center ring.......

Fritz
06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Somebody get Brad Childress a red coat with tails and a top hat!

He's already got the requisite mustache!

Pacopete4
06-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Exactly!

The tents will go up and Mankato Minnesota will become ESPN's midwest headquarters.

Have you ever gone to Viking training camp and if so, is it pretty easy access to watch a practice?

MOBB DEEP
07-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Exactly!

Have you ever gone to Viking training camp and if so, is it pretty easy access to watch a practice?

u gong?

mngolf19
07-04-2009, 06:34 PM
I have but it's been 15 years since. It was very easy then. But I mostly remember going golfing afterwards. Obviously it's probably changed since then. By the way Paco, I'm from your part of the world. I grew up in Duluth.

woodbuck27
07-04-2009, 08:16 PM
The sooner Brett signs, the closer we are to kicking his ass.

That's the stuff. :D

The 'H' word is used up here too. For instance some emotional hockey fans declare hate. Leaf fans hate the Hab players and vice versa and to leave the Habs as a FA is OK as long as you don't sign on with the Boston Bruins or Toronto Maple Leafs.

I just cannot get that intensely involved to find that weakness to hate.

GO PACKERS!

woodbuck27
07-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Vikings trainer returns to Mississippi

Posted by Mike Florio on July 8, 2009 11:18 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/08/vikings-trainer-returns-to-mississippi/

b bulldog
07-09-2009, 05:59 PM
They make the NFL jersey's here in Berlin and they did make Favre's Viking jersey. Kampy was here last week getting fitted in a new fabric and he really likes his jersey small.

Rastak
07-09-2009, 07:07 PM
They make the NFL jersey's here in Berlin and they did make Favre's Viking jersey. Kampy was here last week getting fitted in a new fabric and he really likes his jersey small.

I always thought you lived in Hamburg.....

mraynrand
07-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Vikings trainer returns to Mississippi

Posted by Mike Florio on July 8, 2009 11:18 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/08/vikings-trainer-returns-to-mississippi/

http://needisaymore.files.wordpress.com/2006/09/sid-hartman.jpg

Rastak
07-09-2009, 07:46 PM
HEY!

Was that you giving Grandpa sports the finger!

:evil:

Fritz
07-10-2009, 10:57 AM
It's just one comment, I know, but it's a fun one from a Vikings' fan commenting of Sid's column on the Vikes' trainer going to Hatiesburg - again.

"To you "so called" Vikings fans, we know you're all cheese heads in disguise...Favre is the 3rd or 4th best QB in the entire NFL. He's on his way to MN, so go cry in your beer and curds. The Pack will be last in the North at 5-11. Mn at 11-5."

We'll see.

BTW, I heard from an old-timer from Rochester that lots of old folk were Pack fans growing up because there was no team in Minnesota. Is that true, Rastak?

Gunakor
07-10-2009, 11:29 AM
It's just one comment, I know, but it's a fun one from a Vikings' fan commenting of Sid's column on the Vikes' trainer going to Hatiesburg - again.

The Pack will be last in the North at 5-11. Mn at 11-5.

Vikings fans are no fun at all.

:cry:

AV David
07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
"Have you ever gone to Viking training camp and if so, is it pretty easy access to watch a practice?"

Good news and bad news.

Good news: Yes it is easy to watch and you can get pretty close.

Bad news: They charge you. You have to buy a ticket.

SMACKTALKIE
07-10-2009, 02:10 PM
"Have you ever gone to Viking training camp and if so, is it pretty easy access to watch a practice?"

Good news and bad news.

Good news: Yes it is easy to watch and you can get pretty close.

Bad news: They charge you. You have to buy a ticket.

Been going there for 34 of my 37 years and have never had to buy a ticket.

There are events (scrimmages namely) and areas (VIP tent) that require a ticket, but the TC itself does not require a ticket.

It's easy to get around and see alot of practice, and decent access to the players before and after prractice.

Parking will cost you 5 to 10 dollars. But again you do not neeed to buy a ticket.

SMACKTALKIE
07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
And the 3 years I missed were when I was young. In other words I have been there the last 3 years (the Chilly/Wilf years) and can tell you, you do not need to buy a ticket.

HarveyWallbangers
07-10-2009, 08:38 PM
HEY!

The guy in the background looks like Dan Barreiro.
:D

Rastak
07-10-2009, 11:36 PM
HEY!

The guy in the background looks like Dan Barreiro.
:D

Likely was!

Harlan Huckleby
07-13-2009, 10:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4322952

Bevell says Favre is throwing well. Favre says he won't make a decision until camp opens July 29.

MOBB DEEP
07-13-2009, 02:17 PM
GET MARVIN HARRISON....!!!!!!!!!!

MJZiggy
07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
AND MAKE SURE YOU CUT A GOOD YOUNG RECEIVER TO DO IT!!!!

Go Zygi!!!

Bretsky
07-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Harrison would probably make a nice addition to go along with Berrion, Sydney Rice and the rookie first rounder.

Zig, good of you to wish ill on the competitors....but I don't think the Vikings have enough depth at WR to cut somebody that talented when they bring a vet on.

MJZiggy
07-14-2009, 05:26 AM
They could cut a lineman or something. I hear those Williams boys are nothing but trouble.

retailguy
07-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Harrison would probably make a nice addition to go along with Berrion, Sydney Rice and the rookie first rounder.

Zig, good of you to wish ill on the competitors....but I don't think the Vikings have enough depth at WR to cut somebody that talented when they bring a vet on.

Da FRAUD. :wink:

woodbuck27
07-14-2009, 06:28 PM

Man I appreciate a chap such as you. Your cool B. One that doesn't get his shorts all in a bunch over something as obvious as Favre in a Vikings uniform after all we've seen done. One that has an overall appreciation in terms of how Favre fits in as a NFL Pro and person.

Kudos B. :D

GO PACKERS!

Rastak
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
The latest on the subject most folks wish would go away.....

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=3037

The Associated Press talked with Brett Favre, who said he felt “pretty good” after another throwing session on Wednesday but that he’s not ready to commit to the Vikings because he wants to make sure he can be effective for an entire season. That confirms the report that ESPN’s Ed Werder had earlier this week.

Favre told the AP that he will give the Vikings an anwer before the start of training camp. Players report July 29 with the first practice set for the 31st.

Favre said he works out with the Oak Grove High School team three days a week and recently started working out on Sunday too because he’s “running out of time.”

Favre told the Associated Press that the surgery on his right arm was successful and that he has enough velocity to play right now, but he wants to make sure his arm will hold up for the entire season.

Scott Campbell
07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
How convenient. He won't know for sure if he can hold up to an entire NFL season until the deadline for reporting to training camp.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Favre said he works out with the Oak Grove High School team three days a week

plus a water aerobics class on tuesday nights.

this is a balls-to-the-wall effort. :lol:

Scott Campbell
07-15-2009, 12:42 PM

The Associated Press talked with Brett Favre, who said he felt “pretty good” after another throwing session on Wednesday but that he’s not ready to commit to the Vikings because he wants to make sure he can be effective for an entire season. That confirms the report that ESPN’s Ed Werder had earlier this week.

Favre told the AP that he will give the Vikings an anwer before the start of training camp. Players report July 29 with the first practice set for the 31st.

Favre said he works out with the Oak Grove High School team three days a week and recently started working out on Sunday too because he’s “running out of time.”

Favre told the Associated Press that the surgery on his right arm was successful and that he has enough velocity to play right now, but he wants to make sure his arm will hold up for the entire season.

What a jerk face. Why do you always have to steal MOBB's thunder?

Fritz
07-15-2009, 12:59 PM
How convenient. He won't know for sure if he can hold up to an entire NFL season until the deadline for reporting to training camp.

The only thing cooler than that would be if on July 29 Favre announced that he'd decided he needed just a-n-o-t-h-e-r t-w-o weeks to make sure, really sure, that he could play. But that he knows the offense so well, so thoroughly, that if he did decide to play it'd be much, much better than the experience of trying to learn the Jets' offense last year.

That would be so cool.

CaptainKickass
07-15-2009, 01:01 PM

And every Friday he's got a pedicure, a manicure, a full body rub down, and a eucalyptus steam bath planned.

Then it's off to his Jazzer-cise class followed by private tutoring on the finer points of crochet.

Fritz
07-15-2009, 01:06 PM

And every Friday he's got a pedicure, a manicure, a full body rub down, and a eucalyptus steam bath planned.

Then it's off to his Jazzer-cise class followed by private tutoring on the finer points of crochet.

This sounds like the routine of someone who's . . . retired.

Rastak
07-15-2009, 01:57 PM

My guess is he has a crystal ball but it only works at the end of July each year.

He probably forgot to consult it last year and he's bound and determined not to make that same mistake again.

SnakeLH2006
07-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Here ya go...Favre to decide by July 30th. :roll: Yep, ok, then....per ESPN breaking news:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4329416

KYPack
07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
(Please let my permanent record reflect that I put this post in an existing BF string and didn't start a new thread for minor news.)

The Golden Boy bets against Favre...

From the GBPG

Paul Hornung thinks Brett will flop with the Purples, "(Favre) ain't going to win in Minnesota," Hornung told the crowd on Tuesday night. "I'll bet on it."

That last line drew waves of laughs from the 300 people in attendance at the fundraiser. As any diehard Packers fan from the Glory Years knows, the "Golden Boy" was suspended from the NFL in 1963 for betting on games.

He has long been friendly with Brett, but doesn't like Farvre's actions in the last two years.

Rastak
07-15-2009, 02:37 PM
From the AP article.....

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/50855692.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Sure sounds like a done deal for better or worse......

"I felt like going to New York last year that I still had it," Favre said. "I didn't know my arm was hurt at the time. So that's what I try to get across to people. I had that fixed, the surgery to fix that, so I'm trying to make sure that if I go back that part is completely resolved."

It sure looked like it Wednesday morning, when a jovial Favre hit a variety of passes to high school and college wide receivers. He was crisp on short timing passes and was hitting receivers in the end zone from about 50 yards away. He attempted a few deep passes off bootlegs and usually hit his targets in stride.

Favre's spirals held true and he proved he still has plenty of zip when he tossed a deep pass to a college receiver who dropped by to work out. The pass split the receiver's hands and hit him in the face.

"He's a senior from Southeastern Louisiana, so I put a little more on it," Favre said with a smile.

hoosier
07-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Welcome to our world. I guess you more or less knew what that world is like already, tho. I just hope we say "welcome to our world" again in early or mid January when the Vikings season ends with an ill-advised INT. :lol:

Scott Campbell
07-15-2009, 03:10 PM
(Please let my permanent record reflect that I put this post in an existing BF string and didn't start a new thread for minor news.)

From the GBPG

Paul Hornung thinks Brett will flop with the Purples, "(Favre) ain't going to win in Minnesota," Hornung told the crowd on Tuesday night. "I'll bet on it."

That last line drew waves of laughs from the 300 people in attendance at the fundraiser. As any diehard Packers fan from the Glory Years knows, the "Golden Boy" was suspended from the NFL in 1963 for betting on games.

He has long been friendly with Brett, but doesn't like Farvre's actions in the last two years.

He's still golden. :lol:

woodbuck27
07-16-2009, 03:59 PM

Favre will be a Viking. Bet the house on that.

What he's doing is trying his best to deflect the media attention from himself. He realizes he needs all the energy he can store. Smart.

Favre is learning. How long will he go on? :D

Fritz
07-16-2009, 04:08 PM

Favre will be a Viking. Bet the house on that.

What he's doing is trying his best to deflect the media attention from himself. He realizes he needs all the energy he can store. Smart.

Favre is learning. How long will he go on? :D

That is a positive interpretation of Favre's desire to wait until just before camp to decide!

woodbuck27
07-16-2009, 04:09 PM

From the GBPG

He's still golden. :lol:

One thing that must always be considered in terms of a teams success or not is injuries. Wins and loss's come down to the difference between about five plays a game out of say 55 plays. The team that plays every down hard will come out the winner casting aside any bad luck factor.

The team that comes out the winner in those five plays is the team that has the best overall talent. The team with the best QB and LT. The team that has the best defensive and offensive lines. Best on the lines is a decisive factor.

Favre doesn't represent a losing season. He's a lock for a winning season with the Vikings.

Packers!

MOBB DEEP
07-20-2009, 11:32 AM

What a jerk face. Why do you always have to steal MOBB's thunder?

he he.....

woodbuck27
07-21-2009, 04:47 PM

The only thing cooler than that would be if on July 29 Favre announced that he'd decided he needed just a-n-o-t-h-e-r t-w-o weeks to make sure, really sure, that he could play. But that he knows the offense so well, so thoroughly, that if he did decide to play it'd be much, much better than the experience of trying to learn the Jets' offense last year.

That would be so cool.

and. . . . the man's grass is still growing in Mississippi in August. Darn kids charge an arm and a leg to cut it these days