PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it was just the economy....

packinpatland
06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
The Packer Pro Shop and Atrium stores at Lambeau Field saw revenue decrease by $6.5 million, from $50.2 million to $43.7 million, from Favre's last season, 2007, to the first post-Favre season, 2008.

Was it Favre or was it the economy?

HarveyWallbangers
06-22-2009, 08:22 PM
1) Favre.
2) 13-3 in 2007. 6-10 in 2008.
3) Economy.

End of discussion.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Or, maybe it was the 6-10 season.

HarveyWallbangers
06-22-2009, 08:24 PM
How about another edit.
:D

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 08:24 PM
1) Favre.
3) Economy.

End of discussion.

Nice edit Harv. I saw your first response. :lol:

falco
06-22-2009, 08:56 PM
1) Favre.
3) Economy.

End of discussion.

Nice edit Harv. I saw your first response. :lol:

QFT

Seems like everyone is on a bit on edge.

GBRulz
06-23-2009, 12:12 AM
The Packer Pro Shop and Atrium stores at Lambeau Field saw revenue decrease by $6.5 million, from $50.2 million to $43.7 million, from Favre's last season, 2007, to the first post-Favre season, 2008.

Was it Favre or was it the economy?

Both. It was the first time ever that I've seen items 30-40% off at the Pro Shop that weren't on clearance racks. You really could get some incredible bargains there last season. I don't think their record had much to do with it because these sales were going on back in Nov of '08 already. The season wasn't even halfway over.

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2009, 12:18 AM
I don't think their record had much to do with it because these sales were going on back in Nov of '08 already. The season wasn't even halfway over.

I'm guessing that if they were 9-2 at that point of the season, sales would have been heavier. I'm also guessing that that time of year (Christmas shopping) is a huge time for sales. It's probably pretty normal when a team loses probably the most popular player in franchise history. It's not shocking that sales would drop off once Favre retired. $6.5M wasn't as big of a dropoff as I would have guessed once Favre retired. He probably had over 25% of the merchandise sales for the Packers. I guess people found other guys to support.

I'll say guess for about the 10th time in this post, and state I guess I don't understand the point of this thread--other than to stir the point yet again. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive right now. I can't wait for the season to start. Here's to hoping the Packers take the NFC North.

Pacopete4
06-23-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't think their record had much to do with it because these sales were going on back in Nov of '08 already. The season wasn't even halfway over.

I'm guessing that if they were 9-2 at that point of the season, sales would have been heavier. I'm also guessing that that time of year (Christmas shopping) is a huge time for sales. It's probably pretty normal when a team loses probably the most popular player in franchise history. It's not shocking that sales would drop off once Favre retired. $6.5M wasn't as big of a dropoff as I would have guessed once Favre retired. He probably had over 25% of the merchandise sales for the Packers. I guess people found other guys to support.

I'll say guess for about the 10th time in this post, and state I guess I don't understand the point of this thread--other than to stir the point yet again. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive right now. I can't wait for the season to start. Here's to hoping the Packers take the NFC North.

well considering the Packer pro shop still sells Favre stuff, I don't think it had to do with finding other players so much but rather that he was gone so there wasn't as many fans during training camp and the economy is bad also.

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2009, 12:38 AM
I don't think there's any question that Favre sold a lot of jerseys. I also admit that the world is not flat. I'm buying a Jennings jersey--as soon as he signs that contract extension. I didn't buy a jersey last year.

GBRulz
06-23-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm also guessing that that time of year (Christmas shopping) is a huge time for sales.

Nope, not at the PS. Which is why we (locals) always wait until the annual tent sale to do our Packer garb shopping. However, with unprecedented sales at the PS this past fall, I actually bought quite a few things there.

As far as Favre things...besides his jersey, I didn't see much stuff at all. I did see his Jets jersey on a clearance rack back in Feb though! (other store, not PS)

Patler
06-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Toward the end of the season a report on pro shops sales indicated that the drop experienced by the Packers was less than what many other NFL teams experienced, and was less than the league average. I don't think Favre had a lot to do with it. Fans were just not spending money.

Scott Campbell
06-23-2009, 05:09 AM
Toward the end of the season a report on pro shops sales indicated that the drop experienced by the Packers was less than what many other NFL teams experienced, and was less than the league average. I don't think Favre had a lot to do with it. Fans were just not spending money.

I think I agree. One might conclude that after 15 years, most people who wanted a Green Bay Favre jersey would have already gotten around to purchasing one anyway.

It'd be very interesting to know how the Jets pro shop fared over the same period.

Patler
06-23-2009, 06:57 AM

I think I agree. One might conclude that after 15 years, most people who wanted a Green Bay Favre jersey would have already gotten around to purchasing one anyway.

It'd be very interesting to know how the Jets pro shop fared over the same period.

I don't recall their final results for overall sales, but they did a huge amount of sales of Favre jerseys right after the trade. According to one article, sales were so high the first day the jersey was available that their computer sales processing system crashed intermittently during the day.

Fritz
06-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Do the Packers do this? (And if they don't, they should.)

Do they offer old-school jerseys - throwbacks from different eras - with more than just Starr/Hornung/Nitschke names? Could I get me a Brockington jersey? Maybe a Lynn Dickey, or a Lofton?

And if that worked well, you could really delve into jersey-dom - offer us jerseys from back in the day featuring the likes of Rich Campbell and Estus Hood and Terdell Middleton. It'd be cool.

Deputy Nutz
06-23-2009, 07:55 AM

Harvey is a sensitive little puppy. Very emotional, but yet tuned into the emotions of others.

Cheesehead Craig
06-23-2009, 08:38 AM
I don't think there's any question that Favre sold a lot of jerseys. I also admit that the world is not flat. I'm buying a Jennings jersey--as soon as he signs that contract extension. I didn't buy a jersey last year.

Do they make Jennings jersey's in your size Harv? I keed I keed.

]{ilr]3
06-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Or, maybe it was the 6-10 season.

Favre was a factor for sure, but it had to be the fact that we went from the NFC Championship game to no playoffs the next by a large margin.

I know I bought more stuff that year than last year.

oregonpackfan
06-23-2009, 10:26 AM
1) Favre.
3) Economy.

End of discussion.

I agree with the three reasons above but believe they are out of order. IMO, the order is:

1. economy
2. 13-3 in 2007, 6-10 in 2008
3. Favre

Patler
06-23-2009, 10:34 AM
1) Favre.
3) Economy.

End of discussion.

I agree with the three reasons above but believe they are out of order. IMO, the order is:

1. economy
2. 13-3 in 2007, 6-10 in 2008
3. Favre

That is the order I would put them in too, when you consider what happened in the league overall, with other professional sports, and with retail sales generally in apparel. People were buying essentials.

TravisWilliams23
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Do the Packers do this? (And if they don't, they should.)

Do they offer old-school jerseys - throwbacks from different eras - with more than just Starr/Hornung/Nitschke names? Could I get me a Brockington jersey? Maybe a Lynn Dickey, or a Lofton?

And if that worked well, you could really delve into jersey-dom - offer us jerseys from back in the day featuring the likes of Rich Campbell and Estus Hood and Terdell Middleton. It'd be cool.

Fritz, I found this web site which I ordered an away 1966 style Packer jersey with Jim Taylors number on it. You can get just about any size or number you'd like. www.retrothrowbacks.com
It's called Yesterday's Heroes.
Hope it helps.

Fritz
06-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Thank you, TW23!! What a cool site. And they even had my John Brockington. How cool is that?

Did you notice how the stripes on the sleeves fall farther and farther down as the jerseys go back in time? By the time they got to Canadeo, the stripes had fallen right off the jerseys!

And by the way, when did the geniuses who ran the team figure out that if your team was in Green Bay, you should have green for a color instead of blue? When did that change happen?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Thank you, TW23!! What a cool site. And they even had my John Brockington. How cool is that?

Did you notice how the stripes on the sleeves fall farther and farther down as the jerseys go back in time? By the time they got to Canadeo, the stripes had fallen right off the jerseys!

And by the way, when did the geniuses who ran the team figure out that if your team was in Green Bay, you should have green for a color instead of blue? When did that change happen?

Ty doesn't know, but ty will admit to being on the train to reverse the colors back to the original when Wolf thought about it.

Fritz
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Ty doesn't know, but ty will admit to being on the train to reverse the colors back to the original when Wolf thought about it.

Here's a link to a good site that shows the uni changes over the years, including Wolf's 1994 proposal to change the colors. I hopped up and down in protest over the years, but in the last couple of years I've gone back and looked at his idea - it's looking better to me now. I still am not sure of the muddy-looking gold, but I definitely like the jerseys without the stripes at all and the different hue of green (at least it looks different). Check it out:

http://www.packersuniforms.com/