PDA

View Full Version : Jennings close to deal

HarveyWallbangers
06-22-2009, 10:24 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/48814277.html

You certainly wish you could have 53 players on the team with Greg's attitude. It's good when your two biggest, young stars have the character that Greg and Aaron have.

packer4life
06-22-2009, 10:36 PM
finally some good news in packerland

mission
06-22-2009, 10:47 PM
... because it's all been horrible.

:roll:

Scott Campbell
06-22-2009, 10:48 PM
I shouldn't count my chickens before they're hatched, but who is up after Greg?

Collins?

packers11
06-22-2009, 10:49 PM

Collins?

I believe so...

I was thinking Justin Harrell needs a raise :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
06-22-2009, 10:52 PM

Collins?

I think Collins was the better player last year, but I might try to lock up Spitz and Colledge next. I think those guys were solid last year, and might end up being a better investment. I guess it depends on how far apart the team is with each guy.

BallHawk
06-22-2009, 10:53 PM

Collins?

Perhaps. Kampman would be the no brainer if we were still rockin' the 4-3, but since he's now playing LB I think we've gotta take a "wait and see" approach. If he plays poorly or isn't happy playing LB than a long-term contract won't work. I think Pickett is worth a new contract, too.

gbpackfan
Collins
Driver can wait
Kampman can be tagged (or traded, depending how this 3-4 thing works out)
Colledge and Spitz are going to need new deals.

Tyrone Bigguns
Time to rework Ruvell's deal. Grossly underpaid.

boiga
06-22-2009, 10:57 PM
The article also mentions Colledge, Spitz, Pickett and Kampman as needing new deals. I'm not sure how I'd prioritize that group right now.

We might actually use up our cap space this year.

Nevertheless, I have to hope that Jennings gets rewarded for being a class act about his new contract. What do you experts expect he'll be paid?

falco
06-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey boiga, where have you been? Haven't seen you lately.

I think if it was up to me, I'd like up the two o-lineman also. Simply because Thompson has had a hard time finding quality o-lineman, and with Clifton/Tauscher gone we are going to need some vets on the line.

falco
06-22-2009, 11:05 PM
and ballhawk, what is up with our brewers? we need a fix, and fast.

packers11
06-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Nevertheless, I have to hope that Jennings gets rewarded for being a class act about his new contract. What do you experts expect he'll be paid?

Larry just got 4 years 40 million but hes the best WR in the league...

Roy Williams of Dallas got 6 years 54 Million = 9 mill a year...

T.J. Housh got 8 mill a year...

I could see Jennings getting anywhere between 7.5-9.5 mill a year... (Expect the contract to be front loaded) Packers are 27 mill under the cap... Ala when they signed Charles Woodson type of deal...

Ex:

4/26/2006: Signed a seven-year, $52 million contract. The deal included a $4 million signing bonus and $10.5 million in first-year guarantees. 2009: $5.5 million, 2010: $5 million, 2011: $5.5 million, 2012: $6.5 million, 2013: Free Agent. Cap charge: $7.407 million (2009).

Lurker64
06-22-2009, 11:13 PM

I thought the draft went pretty well, but I don't know about you.

HarveyWallbangers
06-22-2009, 11:33 PM

I think many have pointed to Lee Evans' extension - 4y, $37M

BallHawk
06-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Time to rework Ruvell's deal. Grossly underpaid.

Why is it that only the Jews realize how good Ruvell is?

Tony Oday
06-23-2009, 12:51 AM
"I don't want to be a distraction to the team," Jennings said. "When you're looked upon as a leader on the team - not that I'm a main leader, but I'm looked upon as one of the leaders - your leader can't be a main distraction.

refreshing. A WR that has this attitude and the talent! BOOYA!

RashanGary
06-23-2009, 06:25 AM

Collins?

I think Collins was the better player last year, but I might try to lock up Spitz and Colledge next. I think those guys were solid last year, and might end up being a better investment. I guess it depends on how far apart the team is with each guy.

I've been beating this drum quite a bit, but the worst thing I can imagine would be starting over next year without Colledge and Spitz on the line. Let's face it, they're not stars, but if it's not them it's going to be rookies and first year starters and we don't even know how this years first year starters are going to pan out. The OL is starting to become solid, but it could quickly drop back into complete disaster if we don't resign our guys early to fair deals.

Colledge
Spitz
Pickett (can never have enough fat guys inside)
Collins (only if his agent isn't asking for top safety dollar. He's not Bob Sanders)
Kampman (I'd wait on him until the end of TC to make sure he fits, but there is no risk in resigning him. Absolute worst case, he doesn't pan out as a LB and some 4-3 team gives us a 2nd rounder for him)

RashanGary
06-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Oh and I'm happy to see Jennings getting done, but I'm not shocked, surprised or anything. I just expect it. I expect Ted to be a year early on all of his deals because it saves money.

Fritz
06-23-2009, 07:10 AM
The article also mentions Colledge, Spitz, Pickett and Kampman as needing new deals. I'm not sure how I'd prioritize that group right now.

We might actually use up our cap space this year.

B, the Packers use up their cap space every year. They've never left a nickle on the table.

As for who's next, I'll be curious to see if Collin's near-bullying (he's non-committal about whether he might hold out) will help or hurt his cause. My opinion is that Colledge is next, then - I dunno.

sheepshead
06-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Jennings=pro bowl

pbmax
06-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Collins might get a new deal, but it won't be top safety money. Not a position Thompson pays top market money to. I think Colledge would be next. I think Kampman will need to be mid-season. Spitz depends on if he has a starting job or not.

Fritz
06-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Maybe Ted (Thompson Two-Tone) should let Jennings pick who's next:

"Jennings Jennings, who should I turn to?"

Zool
06-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Maybe Ted (Thompson Two-Tone) should let Jennings pick who's next:

"Jennings Jennings, who should I turn to?"

Aaron throws the deep ball you always hold on to.

RashanGary
06-23-2009, 12:33 PM
That's true. It has been a complained about in the past that Ted Thompson doesn't let the players make personnel decision. Maybe part of Jennings contract will be that he gets final say in personnel decisions, including all coaches and players on offense.

Fritz
06-23-2009, 01:04 PM
And Jennings could call the signals at the line of scrimmage:

"8....6....7....5....3...0....9......hike!"

Guiness
06-23-2009, 01:13 PM

I think many have pointed to Lee Evans' extension - 4y, $37M

?

Don't see that at all. Lee's getting up there, isn't he? If the Packers offer Jennings a deal worth $6mil/year, I bet he tells them to go smoke pole, refuses to talk to them anymore, and is gone at the end of the season!!!

I also think he'll be around the $8-9 million mark. Just below Fitz. Just looking at the #s, I shake my head at the Housh deal, and can't believe Andre Johnson is supposedly getting less than him and Roy Williams. But I also don't know how these deals are written, and of course dividing money by time tells you nothing.

Fritz
06-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Roy Williams has been overpaid, but I hear he's working out this year in the offseason - basically for the first time in his career.

rbaloha1
06-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Great move to lock up Jennings. The rest of guys should be a wait and see. There seems to be a trend that players best years occur when contracts are expiring.

Collins may have to be franchised. Currently Collins looks overweight but given recent family issues its understandable.

BallHawk
06-23-2009, 03:10 PM
and ballhawk, what is up with our brewers? we need a fix, and fast.

It's all hot and cold with the Crew. Perhaps we could get a low-end starter, but that's being hopeful. I think we're just gonna have to ride it out.

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Great move to lock up Jennings.

Just to be clear. This isn't a done deal yet.

svh1962
06-23-2009, 04:04 PM
I would wait and see how collins does in the new defense before giving him a new contract.

Joemailman
06-23-2009, 04:12 PM

What was the bad news?

Fritz
06-23-2009, 04:16 PM

What was the bad news?

JH went to an OTA and watched the real Justin Harrell for two plays and Harrell looked sluggish. I think that's what it is.

Or maybe it's that Nick Collins is thinking of not showing up to camp because of the contract situation.

Or maybe it's that Kampman still looks awkward at times in coverage, according to the JSO.

For us worrywarts, this is enough to fret through the next month.

Scott Campbell
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Frankly, that first one concerns me.

vince
06-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Greg Jennings Signed? (http://twitter.com/fox6sports)

MJZiggy
06-23-2009, 09:13 PM

What was the bad news?

JH went to an OTA and watched the real Justin Harrell for two plays and Harrell looked sluggish. I think that's what it is.

Or maybe it's that Nick Collins is thinking of not showing up to camp because of the contract situation.

Or maybe it's that Kampman still looks awkward at times in coverage, according to the JSO.

For us worrywarts, this is enough to fret through the next month.

I thought it was when his wife found out about the redhead's boobs?

MJZiggy
06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
And Jennings could call the signals at the line of scrimmage:

"8....6....7....5....3...0....9......hike!"

That would likely be a touchdown or at least draw a penalty when the whole defense stood up and said WTF?????? Totally throw them off, but it would only work once.