PDA

View Full Version : How to make the FG more interesting.

Creepy
07-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Toomany games are decided by kcikers who hit 75% to 90% of their kicks. The FG kickers havebecome so accurate that it is almosta given anytimne they walk onto the field. So I propose a way to make it challenging to kickers in the NFL.

The Adjustable Crossbar. Currentlythe Crossbar is 10 yards wide, I say the width should be adjusted in accorance withthe length of kick.

10 yards wide for 45+ yard FGs
7.5 yards for 30 to 44 yard FGs
5 yards for all other FGs

This will effect strategy, do you kick the FG at the 44, or try to punt them inside the 20. The FG no longer is aock, because it now has to go moe through the middle with less room outside. Referees can make the call as to wether it is a 44 or 45 yard FG by simple math. Spot of ball +7 yards, the 7 yards is the normaal distance from center on FGs. If somebody does it father, too bad, the formula is for everybody.

The 5 yards on short Fgs and XPs, will make it more interesting. Right now kickers have it too easy, especially those in indoor stadiums. Lest puta little excitement back into the FG and take away the automatic.

MadtownPacker
07-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Damn Creepy, you aint playing. That is way crazy stuff but I have to admit it makes kicking much more interesting.

Welcome to PR.

Zool
07-19-2006, 08:46 AM
How about if they miss the kick, the kicker is pig piled by everyone on the field at the time?

ny10804
07-19-2006, 10:12 AM
You forgot about the 10 yards between the goaline and posts. So, a kick from the 44 would be about 60 yards.

cpk1994
07-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Fine in thoery, but you have to build feild goal posts which can adjust the crossbar first. That can take years of development to accomplish.

Rastak
07-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Fine in thoery, but you have to build feild goal posts which can adjust the crossbar first. That can take years of development to accomplish.

How about making the goalposts spin so you have to time the kick so they ain't sideways when the ball arrives....

:mrgreen:

Bossman641
07-19-2006, 01:24 PM
I think kickers should be forced to down 3 shots before any attempt. Now that would make for some interesting end of games.

It would also prove which of those 160 pound kickers can man up. My money is on Janikowski.

Rastak
07-19-2006, 01:50 PM
I think kickers should be forced to down 3 shots before any attempt. Now that would make for some interesting end of games.

It would also prove which of those 160 pound kickers can man up. My money is on Janikowski.

He and Vanderjagt.....

BigDmoney
07-19-2006, 03:18 PM
I would like to see a cage match between martin and bill gramatica but that is neither here nor there.

fUZZ
07-19-2006, 04:25 PM
how about a crossbar on the top of the goalpost?

MJZiggy
07-19-2006, 04:38 PM
With a net?

Harlan Huckleby
07-19-2006, 04:50 PM

not a bad idea, particularly coming from a first poster in Minnesota. It would make short field goals much easier to block, and have no effect on long attempts. I like it.

I would also allow the kicking team to position a player near the goal posts, and allow him to do a soccer-style header to get a short ball over the goal posts.

welcome to the forum, peach fuzz!

Creepy
07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
An adjustable crossbar is not a big deal. It may sound a little wierd, but really think about it. No more games won because they kicked a 20 yard FG and ran down the clock. Now you may want to get that TD, because any little difference makes that easy 20 yarder into a miss. It doesn't mess with the game because if they fake the FG it won't matter how wide the crossbar is.

I didn't say kick from the 45, Isaid a 45 yard kick, for evrybody who doesn't understand the ball is on the 35. Keep the miss rule where it comes out where you kicked it and maybe teams woudl think differently about a 40 yarder to win. The kicker would have to take a little more time to ensure the XP was good.I just think the automatic FGs need to be reduced. It doesn't effect the defensive plkayer or offensive player like stupid ruule changes (no touch after 5 yards).

This requires a position that has become so automatic that kickers not hitting 80% of their kicks are looked down as being average. In OT games getting to the 20 will be more important than stopping between the 25 & 30 for an easy kick. The only time that it will hurt is bad weather, but again teams will try to score TDs instead of FGs. Indoor team games will not be automtaic from 50 yards.

I think I will submit this to the NFL rules committee, it will increase teams scoring as they won't give up to get the easy three.

Tony Oday
07-19-2006, 05:40 PM
"automatic" kicks are missed more than we like remember Longwell last year and his "bad" holders? what is he going to use for an excuse this year? hehe he also missed two in the Dome hope that continues.

Creepy
07-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Kikcers will always miss an easy one, just not many. Most times it is a bad snap or hold (not explaiing Longwells misses, as much his fault as anybody else). Even with the usual screw up and bad kicker everybody is still hitting better than 70%, I would like to get that in the low 60% and upper 50%. Hell, they get paid to be an expert, now lets make them prove they are experts.

fUZZ
07-20-2006, 01:17 PM

not a bad idea, particularly coming from a first poster in Minnesota. It would make short field goals much easier to block, and have no effect on long attempts. I like it.

I would also allow the kicking team to position a player near the goal posts, and allow him to do a soccer-style header to get a short ball over the goal posts.

welcome to the forum, peach fuzz!

Not in MN by choice, brother. The Pack faithful fight the good fight here in the Twin Cities.

It's actually more like gorilla fuzz! :mrgreen: