PDA

View Full Version : Iowa High School coach shot

MadScientist
06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090624/ap_on_re_us/us_iowa_school_shooting

No details yet on who or why he was shot. It's notable here because he was Aaron Kampman's HS coach.

Edit, the shot was fatal
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090624/NEWS/90624008/1023/SPORTS13

It just doesn't make sense at this point.

GrnBay007
06-24-2009, 10:58 AM
A woman that works in our District lives in Parkersburg. Just heard from her that the shooter is a young local man who has been struggling with mental illness the last few years.

How horrible!! And there were students in the weight room when it happened. They must be devastated.

vince
06-24-2009, 10:59 AM
What an unbelievable shame.

I want to point out the incredibly moving video featuring the coach that includes some comments by Kampman from last year's devastation the community suffered on the Des Moines Register link above.

vince
06-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Here's a reader comment from the same link worth posting.

I knew Ed for nearly 30 years. In fact, I was employed at Parkersburg High School in 79-80 and worked with Ed. Ed was a consumate Educator of young men and women. His most effective "classroom" many times- was an athletic faciltiy. He taught young people to do what was right- no matter what. He taught students the value ot hard work, of teamwork, of finishing a job started, and to do things for the benefit of the team, not for individual glory. The public looks at the four young men that are playing football in the NFL as examples of what Ed accomplished in the athletic venue. Believe me, there are literally thousands of young men and women who were impacted by a man who was very intense, yet loving of his athletes. He wasn't an excellent educator because 4 of his players in the NFL. He was a man who was totally committed to what he did. The world was, truly, made better because of Ed Thomas, an Educator of students. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. God bless you Ed!

gbpackfan
06-24-2009, 11:50 AM
I'd pay to throw this murdering SOB off a cliff. Sorry, but there is no reason this asshole should continue to live. He chose his path and it was to cause terrible grief to innocent people. F him! Flush him like the turd he is!

Badgerinmaine
06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
He also coached three other players now in the NFL, including Jared DeVries of the Lions:
http://www.detnews.com/article/20090624/SPORTS05/906240423/1126/SPORTS0101/Iowa-shooting-victim-was-prep-coach-of-Lions--Jared-DeVries
What an amazing record from such a small school.

Here's more detail about the shooting:
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090624/NEWS/90624008/Update--Suspect-in-Parkersburg-coach-shooting-is-former-player--student

What a horrible shame in a town which took devastating tornado damage so recently. Coach Thomas surely had more to teach more players. My heart and prayers go out to his family, his town and his alumni.

Joemailman
06-24-2009, 04:11 PM
The shooter was arrested Saturday after vandalizing a house and leading police on a high speed chase. He was sent to a mental hospital for evaluation. Unclear what results of that were. We sure haven't heard the last of this story.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090624/NEWS/90624008

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 04:37 PM
I'd pay to throw this murdering SOB off a cliff. Sorry, but there is no reason this asshole should continue to live. He chose his path and it was to cause terrible grief to innocent people. F him! Flush him like the turd he is!

It is always jerks like you that rush to judgement about a situation. You don't know the facts, neither do i...why don't we all wait for them to come out.

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 05:00 PM

It is always jerks like you that rush to judgement about a situation. You don't know the facts, neither do i...why don't we all wait for them to come out.

In the meantime, how'd you like a new roommate?

Joemailman
06-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Police say they requested that hospital officials notify them before releasing Becker, but hospital did not do so. He was released Tuesday morning.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090624/NEWS/90624008

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 06:52 PM

I'm not sure what your point is. I never suggested that the suspect shouldn't be arrested, detained and tried in a court of law.

If, as reported, the killer is mentally ill, then clearly he didnt chose his path...to inflict terrible grief to innocent people. That was my point, perhaps i wasn't clear enough..or they need to give me an new emoticon for that.

gbpackfan
06-24-2009, 07:05 PM

What facts are you unclear about moron? The guy walked up to him and blew his head off in front of witnesses! So you just keep living with your head in the sand, praying that things like this don't happen to your family.

It's interesting that you call me the JERK in your defense of a stone cold killer. FYI - I didn't murder anyone this morning.

So grow up and start living in the real world. I don't need a trial to form my opinion in a case like this. I don't care how crazy his defense attorney is going to claim he is. I don't care how many times he is going to claim his daddy touched him as a kid. It's time to throw out the trash.

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 07:08 PM
FYI - I didn't murder anyone this morning.

What about the rest of the day?

gbpackfan
06-24-2009, 07:08 PM

I'm not sure what your point is. I never suggested that the suspect shouldn't be arrested, detained and tried in a court of law.

If, as reported, the killer is mentally ill, then clearly he didnt chose his path...to inflict terrible grief to innocent people. That was my point, perhaps i wasn't clear enough..or they need to give me an new emoticon for that.

Written like a true liberal quack. You make me sick.

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Sorry, this probably isn't very respectful screwing around in this thread.

gbpackfan
06-24-2009, 07:09 PM
FYI - I didn't murder anyone this morning.

What about the rest of the day?

So far so good. Just under 5 hours left though! :P

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 07:51 PM

What facts are you unclear about moron? The guy walked up to him and blew his head off in front of witnesses! So you just keep living with your head in the sand, praying that things like this don't happen to your family.

It's interesting that you call me the JERK in your defense of a stone cold killer. FYI - I didn't murder anyone this morning.

So grow up and start living in the real world. I don't need a trial to form my opinion in a case like this. I don't care how crazy his defense attorney is going to claim he is. I don't care how many times he is going to claim his daddy touched him as a kid. It's time to throw out the trash.

I didn't defend anybody. I merely stated we should wait for all the facts to come in.

Yes, i see. There is no such thing as mental illness. All those doctors, pharmaceutical companies, etc...have invented this. The fact that he was in the hospital means nothing.

I guess the justice systems deliniations mean nothing to you.

You are a cretin. The careless disregard for the life of a human is stunning.

It is time to take out the trash, we can only wish that this person had put the gun to your head.

Joemailman
06-24-2009, 07:57 PM
What you guys have done to this thread is a perfect example of why some of us have been spending more and nore of our time elsewhere.

gbpackfan
06-24-2009, 08:07 PM

I didn't defend anybody. I merely stated we should wait for all the facts to come in.

Yes, i see. There is no such thing as mental illness. All those doctors, pharmaceutical companies, etc...have invented this. The fact that he was in the hospital means nothing.

It is time to take out the trash, we can only wish that this person had put the gun to your head.

Ha ha. I should be killed but not a murdering scum bag? Ha ha. Bleeding hearts unite! You're too stupid for words.

gbpackfan
06-24-2009, 08:13 PM
What you guys have done to this thread is a perfect example of why some of us have been spending more and nore of our time elsewhere.

Sorry Joe. But sometimes people mix it up a little. Is it juvenile? Sure. But this is one topic and we're just exchanging words. I'm not trying to insult you here, but if this exchange between another poster and I drives you away from the site, then maybe you should just stick to reading articles. I think you're a good poster and have nothing against you. But sometimes people, even grown adults, get into it once and awhile. This is what makes forums good in my opinion.

I guess I don't see why it would be so difficult for you to click the "back" button and view another thread if this one doesn't do it for you. I also don't see a whole lot of threads being hijacked. But maybe I am missing something. But this happens in every forum. That's just the reality of it. I am sorry that your experience has been ruined.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 08:16 PM

My only sin was calling him a jerk, for that i will apologize. Nothing else of my original post was offensive unlike his.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Ha ha. I should be killed but not a murdering scum bag? Ha ha. Bleeding hearts unite! You're too stupid for words.

Yes.

CaptainD
06-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Such an incredibly sad story; a man who by all accounts was a leader in the school and community, and helped develop players into decent people, struck down much too early.
My thoughts & prayers go out to his family, friends & former players.

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Kampman on Ed Thomas:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/24/aaron-kampman-speaks-about-ed-thomas/

CaptainD
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM

What a classless post..EVERYTIME someone has an opinion opposite yours you spew this crap. I feel sorry for you. :(

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 08:27 PM

What a classless post..EVERYTIME someone has an opinion opposite yours you spew this crap. I feel sorry for you. :(

Opposite mine? What is my opinion?

THe simple fact is that our legal system has different charges: murder, manslaughter, etc. THey are there for reason.

I simply asked to hold off till all the facts are in...same as i did when sean taylor was killed...and i was right.

Cedar Falls Police Chief Jeff Olson said Wednesday that Butler County deputies had arrested Becker on Saturday after a chase through two counties. Deputies agreed to take him to a hospital psychiatric ward and request that Cedar Falls police be notified when he could be released. Cedar Falls police didn’t hear anything more.

Hmm, i know that all high speed chases lead to a psych ward. I know how namby, pamby, bleeding heart liberals cops are. :oops:

Ya think they might have had some reason for taking him there? You think after becker shoots a guy that they were right?

If the person who killed the coach was mentally ill, you still want to kill him? What if he is mentally ill and retarded?

Not saying this happened, nor do i want it construed as such..so let's make it a hypothetical...what if a coach had sexually assualted his killer. Should we kill the killer? Or, would that lessen it?

I'm sorry that the big scary world isn't black and white enough for you.

gbpackfan
06-24-2009, 08:29 PM

Yes.

Well at least I know where you stand. :shock: :D

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 08:32 PM

Yes.

Seems to contradict your bleeding heart assesment doesn't it.

CaptainD
06-24-2009, 08:39 PM

Explain that line ???? Really shows a lot of class. Not to mention that YOU singled hand took a topic about a coach being murdered and turned into Tyrone's little political drama !

Enough already let's let it be.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 08:42 PM

Explain that line ???? Really shows a lot of class. Not to mention that YOU singled hand took a topic about a coach being murdered and turned into Tyrone's little political drama !

Enough already let's let it be.

Class? You mean like the one about taking a mentally ill person and killing him?

All i said, was that we should wait to make judgements about the killer.

Political? Say what.

It takes two to tango, but why am i not surprised that you blame only one. :oops:

falco
06-24-2009, 08:49 PM
If this man is mentally ill to the point he killed someone, he should be locked up where he is no longer a danger to society.

I'm certainly against the execution of the mentally ill... against the death penalty altogether, but that's a separate topic. But this guy clearly belongs under custody somewhere.

Sounds like our system failed pretty badly in letting him go the first time.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 08:53 PM
If this man is mentally ill to the point he killed someone, he should be locked up where he is no longer a danger to society.

I'm certainly against the execution of the mentally ill... against the death penalty altogether, but that's a separate topic. But this guy clearly belongs under custody somewhere.

Sounds like our system failed pretty badly in letting him go the first time.

Agreed.

From what i've read, he is 24 and a former player. This isn't a random act of violence. Something very bad is going on inside his head.

There is more than one family having to deal with this tragedy.

http://stupidcelebrities.net/wp-content/mark.jpg

MJZiggy
06-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Kampman has got to be just devastated!

gbpackfan
06-24-2009, 08:59 PM

Yes.

But the moron diagnosis is stronger then ever.

falco
06-24-2009, 09:03 PM
There is more than one family having to deal with this tragedy.

This is a very good point.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Yes.

But the moron diagnosis is stronger then ever.

Just a mirror reflecting your stupidity.

Administrator
06-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Tyrone and GBpackfan, cease and desist.

Joemailman is right on. There is no place for this juvenile argument in this thread. Take it elsewhere please. This is why facebook exists.

gbpackfan
06-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Tyronne - We have offically hijacked this thread. We both have strong, differing opinions on this topic. But I think this ping-pong, thread stealing exchange has to stop. No more insults. We disagree.....and I'll end it at that.

gbpackfan
06-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Tyrone and GBpackfan, cease and desist.

Joemailman is right on. There is no place for this juvenile argument in this thread. Take it elsewhere please. This is why facebook exists.

I typed my post before I saw this. I want credit for that! :wink:

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
This is why facebook exists.

:lol:

Pretty good Joe.

pbmax
06-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Inconceivable. Not just that it happened to a community that just suffered through one catastrophe, but that it happened to one of the people who led the recovery. I am glad the others who were nearby were not harmed.

My thoughts and prayers to everyone connected to that community and family.