PDA

View Full Version : Gale Sayers 'not dead' his likes will never be seen again.

woodbuck27
06-24-2009, 01:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d810a5a0c/Top-Ten-Gutsiest-Performances-Gale-Sayers

Alot of you never saw this fellow but he was something else.

DonHutson
06-24-2009, 01:15 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought this was an obituary. I'm happy to see it's not. And Gale's even happier, I'm sure.

woodbuck27
06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought this was an obituary. I'm happy to see it's not. And Gale's even happier, I'm sure.

Ohh No.

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 01:24 PM

Same here.

woodbuck27
06-24-2009, 01:27 PM
This is number 5 of the TOP TEN GUTSIEST PERFORMANCES:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d810a62a9/Top-Ten-Gutsiest-Performances-Brett-Favre

Some men are just made different with special status among us.

Then it gets really strange:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d810a5f17/Top-Ten-Characters-Brett-Favre

Whats not to love about that man? We'll never see another QB like him. Looks like he's going to be in our face this season. Who said it first?

'' It's unbelievable.''

KYPack
06-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Sayers is also an avid scuba diver in his "retiring years'. I was diving in the Cayman Islands 10 - 12 years ago. Gale had just left a few weeks before I got there. He used the same dive operation I did. All the employees raved about Gale and what an absolute nice guy. It was funny, most of them did not know what a good player he had been.

One of the minor employees was a Yank and knew all about Gale. The others asked me and I verified he was an all-time NFL great. They then marveled at having had such a celeb in their midst.

Rastak
06-24-2009, 01:34 PM
My favorite running back of all time.

OJ Simpson was second but dropped down the list after he started murdering people.

woodbuck27
06-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Sayers is also an avid scuba diver in his "retiring years'. I was diving in the Cayman Islands 10 - 12 years ago. Gale had just left a few weeks before I got there. He used the same dive operation I did. All the employees raved about Gale and what an absolute nice guy. It was funny, most of them did not know what a good player he had been.

One of the minor employees was a Yank and knew all about Gale. The others asked me and I verified he was an all-time NFL great. They then marveled at having had such a celeb in their midst.

There's likely better video out there on Gayle Sayers and no other RB has ever stirred me like this man. People get into these arguments of this decades athlete is superior to that decade. Gayle Sayers was so dominant among his peers.

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 01:40 PM

Ohh No.

I think you can edit the title Woody.

woodbuck27
06-24-2009, 02:01 PM

Ohh No.

How's that?

oregonpackfan
06-24-2009, 02:05 PM
One of the commentators on that video called Sayers "The most elusive running back ever to play in the NFL." I have to agree.

Sayers played for the Bears during the Lombardi Glory years of the Packers. Even the great Packer defenders of that era could not contain Sayers.

Though Sayers did come back a year after that horrible knee injury, he was never the same runner. The surgical techniques and the physical therapy programs of that era were archaic compared to what surgeons and physical therapists do in present day with serious knee injuries. Had Sayers had access to today's medical techniques, his career would have lasted far longer. IMO.

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Ohh No.

How's that?

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right, but I think if you hit the edit button at the top right of your initial post, you can change the title.

MOBB DEEP
06-24-2009, 02:36 PM
lol SC

i thoguht it was kinda cool that when barry sanders dad was asked if barry was best ever and dad said "not close, its sayers"

in my time i say sweetness was best, barry 2nd, then marcus allen

Badgerinmaine
06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
One of the commentators on that video called Sayers "The most elusive running back ever to play in the NFL." I have to agree.

Sayers played for the Bears during the Lombardi Glory years of the Packers. Even the great Packer defenders of that era could not contain Sayers.

Though Sayers did come back a year after that horrible knee injury, he was never the same runner. The surgical techniques and the physical therapy programs of that era were archaic compared to what surgeons and physical therapists do in present day with serious knee injuries. Had Sayers had access to today's medical techniques, his career would have lasted far longer. IMO.

Spot on, POF.
He did bounce back from the first knee injury remarkably well--he gained over 1000 yards in a 14 game schedule in 1969. It was the second knee injury he got in a game in 1970 that really finished him off. He was not a bad kick returner, either. And to think that the Bears got him AND Dick Butkus in the same 1965 draft (the Bears had three of the first six picks that year, and took Butkus #3 and Sayers #4). Amazing what a mark Sayers made considering he was only able to make it through three full seasons and parts of three others because of his two bad knee injuries. And he was AD at Southern Illinois, and set up a PR firm, and an IT company, and from everything I have heard about him, was a good guy through it all.

Badgerinmaine
06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
As Mark Twain said, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated". :)

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Packer fans are now posting about Bear greats? Super!! :roll:

Jimx29
06-24-2009, 04:30 PM
I recall falling asleep in 7th or 8th grade when they had "Brians Song" playing in school

Fritz
06-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey, the guy was incredible. I was a kid but I remember seeing him and thinking that I'd never seen anyone change direction so quickly and fluidly. (okay, I didn't use those words - more like "Gosh, that guy is really good!")

I think if he'd avoided the injuries people would have him up even higher on the all-tiome list. Was he better that Payton? Hard to say. But he was better than any Packer running back I can think of, although I don't know much about Tony Canadeo or Johnny Blood.

Scott Campbell
06-24-2009, 04:40 PM
I recall falling asleep in 7th or 8th grade when they had "Brians Song" playing in school

I thought the ending was really sad - when only 1 Bear player died.

Yeah, I know. And oldie but a goodie.

Fritz
06-24-2009, 04:44 PM

I thought the ending was really sad - when only 1 Bear player died.

Yeah, I know. And oldie but a goodie.

I never heard it before. It IS funny.

oregonpackfan
06-24-2009, 05:55 PM

BIM,

Wasn't it Grocho Marx who made that statement?

Where is Patler when we need him? :)

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2009, 06:02 PM

BIM,

Wasn't it Grocho Marx who made that statement?

Where is Patler when we need him? :)

No. It was Twain.

Ty will forgive you as neither Twain nor Marx was from Oregon. :wink:

Maxie the Taxi
06-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Sayers was the best I've ever seen. I always thought he was the football equivalent of Sandy Koufax, or vice versa. Koufax was the best pitcher I've ever seen.

And now I'm gonna mention Jim Brown and Bob Gibson just so I can go to sleep tonight with a clean conscience.

And now I'm gonna apologize to Jimmy Taylor and Warren Spahn.

:D

Fritz
06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Warren Spahn's numbers were ridiculous. Even when he was much older, at a time when training and knowledge of the human body was less advanced than now, he had incredible numbers. I think his reputation got tarnished a bit because he stuck around a bit too long.

Better to be like Sandy Koufax and give it up before you go south.

Imagine what Jim Brown would do in the league today with the training methods and such. AP reminds me a little bit of Brown, though I hope AP will be a better actor.

woodbuck27
06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Sayers was the best I've ever seen. I always thought he was the football equivalent of Sandy Koufax, or vice versa. Koufax was the best pitcher I've ever seen.

And now I'm gonna mention Jim Brown and Bob Gibson just so I can go to sleep tonight with a clean conscience.

And now I'm gonna apologize to Jimmy Taylor and Warren Spahn.

:D

I've seen them all and all we're very good. Great comparison bet. Gayle Sayers and Koufax. Koufax was a strikeout machine and a smooth technician on the mound. Domination at his best.

Jim Brown and Bob Gibson forces for sure and also a close comparison.

Jimmy Brown was just plain mean / tough. He'd run over or through you.

Warren Spahn was a personal hero of mine ( the winningest left handed pitcher of all time and that with a delay in his career ) along with Henry Hank Aaron of the Milwaukee Braves.

The Shadow
06-26-2009, 10:33 PM
#1 : Jim Brown
#2 : Gayle Sayers

Best two running backs I've yet seen.

SnakeLH2006
06-27-2009, 12:23 AM
My favorite running back of all time.

OJ Simpson was second but dropped down the list after he started murdering people.

:shock: :lol: :lol: Yeah, that might have some importance.