PDA

View Full Version : Favre Deal Done?

Chevelle2
06-25-2009, 01:02 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/206275-report-brett-favre-is-a-minnesota-viking

The saga is over—again. The Vikings have an agreement in principle with quarterback Brett Favre, who will report to Vikings training camp.

Multiple sources, both radio and Internet, are claiming a contract is near completion and that Favre will likely have landed an incentive-laden one-year deal that could reach the $8-10 million range. A formal announcement will likely not come until later in the week, but the lights are all green to go

Pacopete4
06-25-2009, 01:08 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/206275-report-brett-favre-is-a-minnesota-viking

The saga is over—again. The Vikings have an agreement in principle with quarterback Brett Favre, who will report to Vikings training camp.

Multiple sources, both radio and Internet, are claiming a contract is near completion and that Favre will likely have landed an incentive-laden one-year deal that could reach the $8-10 million range. A formal announcement will likely not come until later in the week, but the lights are all green to go

I've read this many places but nothings been confirmed. My thing is that it was a done deal when he got the surgery.

Pacopete4
06-25-2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/25/report-favre-makes-a-visit-to-minnesota-doctor/

Report: Favre Makes A Visit To Minnesota Doctor
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 25, 2009, 12:01 p.m. EDT

As the clock ticks down toward veteran quarterback Brett Favre’s anticipated return to the NFL, the only apparent remaining obstacle is his surgically-repaired biceps tendon.

And the Minnesota Vikings are reportedly keeping a very close eye on Favre’s progress following his surgery in May with Dr. James Andrews.

And we stress, very close.

According to Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, Favre was in Minnesota, Edina specifically, this Monday to get his arm checked out.

Walters even mentioned the name of the medical office that the former NFL Most Valuable Player visited.

“Psst: A little birdie says Brett Favre was spoted at Tria Orthopedics in Edina on Monday for an examination of his throwing arm, which is recovering from surgery to repair a frayed biceps tendon,” Walters wrote.

And it doesn’t take a birdie to see where this one is going: Favre in a purple No. 4 jersey at some point this summer.

pasquale
06-25-2009, 04:30 PM
it's official:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/79542/the-colbert-report-sport-report---soccer-tennis-and-brett-favre

EDIT: I should add that if colbert's not your flavor, skip the soccer and tennis bits to about 3:50.

woodbuck27
06-25-2009, 04:48 PM
it's official:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/79542/the-colbert-report-sport-report---soccer-tennis-and-brett-favre

EDIT: I should add that if colbert's not your flavor, skip the soccer and tennis bits to about 3:50.

Hahaahaha. :D

Not yet.

PACKERS!

pasquale
06-25-2009, 05:00 PM
I loved the soccer joke and the last one on favre. Got some good laughs.

Must be a slow day in the fake news department, favre jokes are too easy nowadays.

Freak Out
06-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Barnett commented on Twitter today that Favre to the Queens is a done deal...if it comes from Nick it's gotta be true! :lol:

Fritz
06-26-2009, 03:07 PM
This all feels like fait accompli....

woodbuck27
06-27-2009, 03:56 PM
I havn't seen this up yet here.

Favre Contract Not Filed Yet

Posted by Mike Florio on June 26, 2009, 10:38 p.m.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that, if there’s a contract between the Vikings and quarterback Brett Favre, it has yet to be filed with the NFL Players Association.

And, obviously, if it were, we all would have already known about it.

Per Zulgad, an NFL spokesman declined to comment on whether a contract has been sent to the league office, but the spokesman also said there would be no reason to keep the development quiet if it had indeed happened.

We explained this specific portion of the situation earlier this week. Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, teams are required to send all contracts to the NFL Management Council within two days, and the Management Council then must send the contracts to the NFL Players Association. However, the language of the Standard Player Contract, which is an appendix to the CBA, requires that the documents be submitted to the Commissioner within 10 days.

There’s an easy way around these details, as we also pointed out earlier in the week.

The team and the player can postdate the contract.

That said, it’s possible that an agreement in principle has been reached, and that the document simply hasn’t been signed.

We continue to believe that an announcement regarding the transaction will be made next week, after coach Brad Childress returns from vacation. Our best guess as to the date on which the news would be be leaked is Friday, July 3. Then, the formal announcement with the press conference would occur on Monday, July 6.

And, coincidentally, Vikings single-game tickets go on sale Thursday, July 9.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/teams/nfc/

Permalink | 11 Comments Back to Top

woodbuck27
06-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Here's all the latest on the Favre to Minnesota talk:

Reader BEWARE: :D

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/teams/nfc/minnesota-vikings/

Included:

Rampant Rumors Fly Of Favre Home Purchase
June 26, 2009

Rosenfels Says He’s Competing For Starting Job “As Of Right Now”
June 25, 2009

Report: Favre Makes A Visit To Minnesota Doctor

June 25, 2009
Does Adding Favre Mean Vikings Are For Sale?

June 25, 2009
Marvin (Harrison) To Minnesota?

GO PACKERS!

Rastak
06-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Hey Woody, how goes it in the great white north?

I think once a contract is signed they have 10 days to file it with the league office. My guess here is that the contract is finalized in the sense that terms have been agreed upon. Once Favre pulls the trigger, and he's the guy who ultimately decides, he'll sign it and they'll file it with the league office in short order.

MJZiggy
06-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I think they're still waiting to see how he heals...

Rastak
06-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I think they're still waiting to see how he heals...

Yes, I agree Z. I think he wants to be 100% sure before he commits to anything, even if terms have been hashed out.

woodbuck27
06-27-2009, 09:01 PM

I think once a contract is signed they have 10 days to file it with the league office. My guess here is that the contract is finalized in the sense that terms have been agreed upon. Once Favre pulls the trigger, and he's the guy who ultimately decides, he'll sign it and they'll file it with the league office in short order.

Funny weather here, unusually cold and wet, but besides that alls good thanks Rastak.

Favre will want to feel totally right physically before he signs. I do believe the Vikings will pull all the strings needed and available to pursue to make a huge push this season. Rastak. Getting a healthy Favre will be huge because of the balance the Vikings have on defense and offense and and the best RB in the NFL.That all translates to one trhing. Less pressure on Favre.

Now if I was going to offer advice to your team. I'd suggest a psychologist be asigned to Favre on a weekly basis to ensure he's not putting an undue burden on himself psychologically. He has to determine balance in himself and stay relaxed for a long run. He cannot be left to himself. A chilled out Brett Favre and with a focus on just execution is scary for opposaing teams.

GO PACK GO!

The Shadow
06-27-2009, 09:11 PM

Funny weather here, unusually cold and wet, but besides that alls good thanks Rastak.

Favre will want to feel totally right physically before he signs. I do believe the Vikings will pull all the strings needed and available to pursue to make a huge push this season. Rastak. Getting a healthy Favre will be huge because of the balance the Vikings have on defense and offense and and the best RB in the NFL.That all translates to one trhing. Less pressure on Favre.

Now if I was going to offer advice to your team. I'd suggest a psychologist be asigned to Favre on a weekly basis to ensure he's not putting an undue burden on himself psychologically. He has to determine balance in himself and stay relaxed for a long run. He cannot be left to himself. A chilled out Brett Favre and with a focus on just execution is scary for opposaing teams.

GO PACK GO!

And we only have to go back to what? -the mid-90's? - to recapture that?

Scott Campbell
06-27-2009, 10:16 PM
A chilled out Brett Favre and with a focus on just execution is scary for opposaing teams.

http://jasonjeffrey.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/brett-favre-playoff-28.jpg

cpk1994
06-28-2009, 09:30 PM
A chilled out Brett Favre and with a focus on just execution is scary for opposaing teams.

http://jasonjeffrey.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/brett-favre-playoff-28.jpgThey weren't interceptions. THe WR's ran the wrong routes on every single one of those.

LEWCWA
06-29-2009, 03:36 AM

I really get a kick out of this shit. Why don't you compare Favres carrer playoff stats with other "great QB's" His numbers aren't all that bad. His numbers are comparable or better than some of the big time winners like Bradshaw, Staubach, Elway, Aikman, so get off it already. Brady, Starr, and Montana were decidedly better in the post season and Montana only with the help of one spectacular run with 11 tds and 0 ints....Point is Favre's playoff numbers stack up with most QB's They just hurt you more, because your a Packer fan! Pretty sorry group of people that just want to bash, one of the top 3-4 Packer players of all time.

falco
06-29-2009, 06:46 AM

I really get a kick out of this shit. Why don't you compare Favres carrer playoff stats with other "great QB's" His numbers aren't all that bad. His numbers are comparable or better than some of the big time winners like Bradshaw, Staubach, Elway, Aikman, so get off it already. Brady, Starr, and Montana were decidedly better in the post season and Montana only with the help of one spectacular run with 11 tds and 0 ints....Point is Favre's playoff numbers stack up with most QB's They just hurt you more, because your a Packer fan! Pretty sorry group of people that just want to bash, one of the top 3-4 Packer players of all time.

Right, like those beautiful games against the Falcons and Rams? ? ?

I think Favre is a top 10 QB, but his boneheaded play, especially in games that mattered, is what keeps him out of the top 5 for me.

And I would have told you that in late 2007, when I was still pretty high on him.

Partial
06-29-2009, 08:45 AM
:lol:

Statistically, Favre and Manning are identical in the playoffs. Stats are eerily similar, as I did a deep comparison, and both have had a hard time winning big games.

Yet Peyton is the best QB ever, and Favre is just yesterday's news.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2009, 08:54 AM

Statistically, Favre and Manning are identical in the playoffs. Stats are eerily similar, as I did a deep comparison, and both have had a hard time winning big games.

I think it would be far more interesting to statistically compare old Brett against young Brett. I suspect he played far better pre 2001 than post 2001.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Pretty sorry group of people that just want to bash, one of the top 3-4 Packer players of all time.

That has nothing to do with it.

Woody claims we should "fear" Brett Favre, or that he's somehow "scary". My point is that I don't think we need to fear him nearly as much as the Vikings should.

cpk1994
06-29-2009, 09:01 AM

Yet Peyton is the best QB ever, and Favre is just yesterday's news.It couldn't be that Peyton still has a few years to go while Favre is 40. Nah, it has to be people just bashing Favre becuase they hate him. :roll:

Partial
06-29-2009, 09:09 AM

Yet Peyton is the best QB ever, and Favre is just yesterday's news.It couldn't be that Peyton still has a few years to go while Favre is 40. Nah, it has to be people just bashing Favre becuase they hate him. :roll:

Manning isn't exactly young anymore. The odds of him winning another one with the young talent in the AFC isn't great imo. Especially with Brady and that sick offense back.

cpk1994
06-29-2009, 09:23 AM

Manning isn't exactly young anymore. The odds of him winning another one with the young talent in the AFC isn't great imo. Especially with Brady and that sick offense back.No, but he has more years left than Favre does(barring serious injury of course). He will have more chances to win another one than Favre will.

HarveyWallbangers
06-29-2009, 09:51 AM

The first part of this is fair. Their numbers may be comparable. However, I don't think Manning is close to the best QB ever, and a lot of it has to do with his playoff failures. Outside of one year, his playoff record is poor. Favre has had more misses than hits in his playoff career also. I may end up ranking Manning higher, if he doesn't drop off completely. His numbers compare very favorably to Favre in the regular season.

64.4 completion %, 7.7 yards/attempt, 333 TDs, 165 interceptions (2.02 TD/int rate)

61.6 completion %, 7.0 yards/attempts, 464 TDs, 310 interceptions (1.50 TD/int rate)

If Manning continues what he's doing, I'd put those two (plus Marino) on the edge of the top 5. It will probably go Manning, Favre, Marino.

pbmax
06-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Please post it, I'd love to look at it.

sharpe1027
06-29-2009, 03:03 PM

Favre (22 games):
Cmp Att Yds TD Int Y/A Cmp% Rate
438 721 5311 39 28 7.4 60.7 85.2

Manning (15 games):
Cmp Att Yds TD Int Y/A Cmp% Rate
348 564 4208 22 17 7.5 61.7 85.0

This is not a "deep comparison," however, just a ten-second google search with cut-and-paste options enabled. :P

Partial
06-29-2009, 03:26 PM

I think I've done more than this too, but this took more than enough digging to find.

Not really. I'll take 3-6 over 0-0 any day. Furthermore, they're called the playoffs because the best teams play. 11/12 of the teams in the playoffs lose a game annually, ya know.

Take out the two horrendous performances and the numbers are not very bad at all.

How many times would we have been in the playoffs with a lesser quarterback to lose those games?!? Nobody is itching to throw Romo out despite being 0-2!

Manning - 2007 - 2 TO, 0-1
- 2006 - 8 TO, 4-0
- 2005 - 0 TO, 0-1
- 2004 - 3 TO, 1-1
- 2003 - 5 T0, 2-1
- 2002 - 2 TO, 0-1
- 2001 - 0 TO, 0-0
- 2000 - 0 TO, 0-1
- 1999 - 3 TO, 0-1
- 1998 - 0 TO, 0-0

Let's see... 1-1 conference championship loss
1 super bowl appearance
23 TO
7-7 record
1.5 TOPG
1.4 PGPY

Brett Favre
2007 - 2 TO, 1-1
2006 - 0 TO, 0-0
2005 - 0 TO, 0-0
2004 - 5 TO, 0-1
2003 - 1 TO, 1-1
2002 - 3 TO, 0-1
2001 - 7 TO, 1-1
2000 - 0 TO, 0-0
1999 - 0 T0, 0-0
1998 - 2 TO, 0-1
1997 - 4 TO, 2-1
1996 - 2 T0, 3-0
1995 - 2 TO, 2-1
1994 - 1 TO, 1-1
1993 - 3 TO, 1-1

2-2 conference championship record
12 - 9 record
32 total turnovers
1.52 TOPG
1.4 PGPY

hmmm... Almost identical stats... Funny how when Favre was on a bad team in recent years, and Peyton was on a bad team in the early years things managed to work out almost evenly.

Accept Favre managed to win some playoff games. His stats would be even better if the first round bye didn't exist!

Both quarterbacks are considered old in quarterback years. Would you not take Peyton Manning over A-Rod either, despite virtually identical # of playoff games per year, and 1.3% less turnovers per game?!? Both are .500 in conference championship games as well. Favre has a better winning percentage in the playoffs, though.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2009, 03:50 PM

I think I've done more than this too, but this took more than enough digging to find.

Not really. I'll take 3-6 over 0-0 any day. Furthermore, they're called the playoffs because the best teams play. 11/12 of the teams in the playoffs lose a game annually, ya know.

Take out the two horrendous performances and the numbers are not very bad at all.

How many times would we have been in the playoffs with a lesser quarterback to lose those games?!? Nobody is itching to throw Romo out despite being 0-2!

Manning - 2007 - 2 TO, 0-1
- 2006 - 8 TO, 4-0
- 2005 - 0 TO, 0-1
- 2004 - 3 TO, 1-1
- 2003 - 5 T0, 2-1
- 2002 - 2 TO, 0-1
- 2001 - 0 TO, 0-0
- 2000 - 0 TO, 0-1
- 1999 - 3 TO, 0-1
- 1998 - 0 TO, 0-0

Let's see... 1-1 conference championship loss
1 super bowl appearance
23 TO
7-7 record
1.5 TOPG
1.4 PGPY

Brett Favre
2007 - 2 TO, 1-1
2006 - 0 TO, 0-0
2005 - 0 TO, 0-0
2004 - 5 TO, 0-1
2003 - 1 TO, 1-1
2002 - 3 TO, 0-1
2001 - 7 TO, 1-1
2000 - 0 TO, 0-0
1999 - 0 T0, 0-0
1998 - 2 TO, 0-1
1997 - 4 TO, 2-1
1996 - 2 T0, 3-0
1995 - 2 TO, 2-1
1994 - 1 TO, 1-1
1993 - 3 TO, 1-1

12 - 9 record
32 total turnovers
1.52 TOPG
1.4 PGPY

hmmm... Almost identical stats... Funny how when Favre was on a bad team in recent years, and Peyton was on a bad team in the early years things managed to work out almost evenly.

Accept Favre managed to win some playoff games. His stats would be even better if the first round bye didn't exist!

Both quarterbacks are considered old in quarterback years. Would you not take Peyton Manning over A-Rod either, despite virtually identical # of playoff games per year, and 1.3% less turnovers per game?!? Both are .500 in conference championship games as well. Favre has a better winning percentage in the playoffs, though.

Am I reading this right?

Young Brett (Pre 2001) 14 TO in 14 games, 9-5 record
Old Brett 18 TO in 8 games, 3-5 record

Zool
06-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Did Manning announce he was going to retire yet in a tearful goodbye presser?

HarveyWallbangers
06-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Brett Favre
2007 - 2 TO, 1-1
2006 - 0 TO, 0-0
2005 - 0 TO, 0-0
2004 - 5 TO, 0-1
2003 - 1 TO, 1-1
2002 - 3 TO, 0-1
2001 - 7 TO, 1-1
2000 - 0 TO, 0-0
1999 - 0 T0, 0-0
1998 - 2 TO, 0-1
1997 - 4 TO, 2-1
1996 - 2 T0, 3-0
1995 - 2 TO, 2-1
1994 - 1 TO, 1-1
1993 - 3 TO, 1-1

12 - 9 record
32 total turnovers
1.52 TOPG
1.4 PGPY

Looks like that should be 12-10--based on your numbers. First round byes have existed since Favre has been in the league, so I don't get your point?

gex
06-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Pretty sorry group of people that just want to bash, one of the top 3-4 Packer players of all time.

Don't forget they will not allow any thread or post that gives praise to him either. :cry:

Scott Campbell
06-29-2009, 04:15 PM

Don't forget they will not allow any thread or post that gives praise to him either. :cry:

Yeah, like those have really been outlawed. :lol:

cpk1994
06-29-2009, 06:03 PM

Don't forget they will not allow any thread or post that gives praise to him either. :cry:Yeah the 123 threads about Favre on the front page are really outlawed. :roll:

cpk1994
06-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Did Manning announce he was going to retire yet in a tearful goodbye presser?Or wnated to be released so he couild then play for Tennessee so he could stick it to the Colts?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Ty doesn't want to get bogged down in analysis of what partial posted...just wants to note that his stats are bogus since partial displays an inability to do basic math.

pbmax
06-29-2009, 07:12 PM

I, for one, would be happy to see such a thread and/or post. Do you have something to add other than the complaint listed here?

pbmax
06-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Favre and Manning are close in playoff performance, there seems to be no doubt about that by the numbers posted. But you do realize that the most common criticism of Manning is his mediocre playoff performance and his (public) rep as a bad teammate?

And despite overwhelming regular season statistical evidence, most fans prefer Brady to Manning current day, forget the Best Ever moniker.

I think the comparison may be damning Favre with faint praise. Manning is a tremendous QB with a history of poor playoff performances.

Additionally, to your point that Favre suffered on bad teams seems not to jibe with the Packers record. He was on very good 12-4 teams in back to back years while at the beginning of his 2000s playoff slide, and while the next two 10-6 teams were clearly weaker, they were hardly bad teams. Old, perhaps. Lacking depth. But not bad.

But the question asked at the bottom, would you replace Manning with Rodgers? That question cannot be answered by these stats. Manning is five years younger and while his playoff record is underwhelming, it does not seem to indicate that he is suddenly old. He has outperformed Favre this entire decade in the regular season too.

Given that, the answer to the question you asked is no, nothing you have shown here would convince me to replace Peyton with Rodgers. But that has less to do with these numbers, and more to do with the regular season and age.

LEWCWA
06-30-2009, 03:29 AM
blah, blah, blah is all I hear. The point wasn't to compare Favre with anyone, just to show most all QB's with several playoff runs have comparable numbers to Brett. I just don't get all the bashing. big damn deal, he threw a bunch of picks against the Rams. They were a much better team and he knew they had to score to keep up with that team, as I recall most of those picks came trying to make up a big deficit.....and christ get off this traitor crap already. I'm sure most of your wives change their minds about shit on a daily basis and you still keep her around!

mission
06-30-2009, 03:34 AM
I'm sure most of your wives change their minds about shit on a daily basis and you still keep her around!

If my girl wanted to bang another producer who I have to work with a couple times a year I'd have a pretty big problem with that ... not insecure, just, you know ... :wink:

mraynrand
06-30-2009, 11:42 AM
blah, blah, blah is all I hear. The point wasn't to compare Favre with anyone, just to show most all QB's with several playoff runs have comparable numbers to Brett. I just don't get all the bashing. big damn deal, he threw a bunch of picks against the Rams. They were a much better team and he knew they had to score to keep up with that team, as I recall most of those picks came trying to make up a big deficit.....and christ get off this traitor crap already. I'm sure most of your wives change their minds about shit on a daily basis and you still keep her around!

I always get riled up about that Rams game because 3 INTs came after the game was over - the Pack down by at least three scores with about a quarter left. And depending on Schroeder, Favre was responsible for 1 or 2 of the first 3. Favre actually played quite well in that game - the run blocking was for shit, the pass pro not much better, and other guys (Freeman and Schroeder) made mistakes. Stats in football are always troublesome, as are the attempts to determine whether Favre made the receivers better or vice versa. And people routinely forget things like the fact that in 2002 the Packers were 8-1 starting out, but by the time the second half of the playoff loss to Atlanta, they had lost 9 starters to injury, including Driver, Green, Glenn, Sharper, Clifton, Tauscher, Johnson, etc.

Stats never come close to revealing the true story, and in football it's much more the case.

woodbuck27
06-30-2009, 03:32 PM

I always get riled up about that Rams game because 3 INTs came after the game was over - the Pack down by at least three scores with about a quarter left. And depending on Schroeder, Favre was responsible for 1 or 2 of the first 3. Favre actually played quite well in that game - the run blocking was for shit, the pass pro not much better, and other guys (Freeman and Schroeder) made mistakes. Stats in football are always troublesome, as are the attempts to determine whether Favre made the receivers better or vice versa. And people routinely forget things like the fact that in 2002 the Packers were 8-1 starting out, but by the time the second half of the playoff loss to Atlanta, they had lost 9 starters to injury, including Driver, Green, Glenn, Sharper, Clifton, Tauscher, Johnson, etc.

Stats never come close to revealing the true story, and in football it's much more the case.

The funny thing about it too as concerns Favre that people don't give him credit for. Brett Favre would be the first one to lay all the blame on himself even when what is written above is so true.

GO PACKERS!

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2009, 03:58 PM

I don't disagree with much of this--although saying Favre played quite well is a bit much. I don't blame Favre for that game. However, he did have chances in other games that he failed to capitalize on. There were too many failures by Favre in those other games to give him a free pass. Two OT interceptions. The play against Minnesota where he ran past the LOS and then underhanded the ball forward when he could have run it. The Atlanta game. Great regular season QB who had a solid playoff record in the first half of his career, but played too undisciplined in many playoff games in the second half of his career.

woodbuck27
06-30-2009, 04:16 PM

I don't disagree with much of this--although saying Favre played quite well is a bit much. I don't blame Favre for that game. However, he did have chances in other games that he failed to capitalize on. There were too many failures by Favre in those other games to give him a free pass. Two OT interceptions. The play against Minnesota where he ran past the LOS and then underhanded the ball forward when he could have run it. The Atlanta game. Great regular season QB who had a solid playoff record in the first half of his career, but played too undisciplined in many playoff games in the second half of his career.

''The play against Minnesota where he ran past the LOS and then underhanded the ball forward when he could have run it.'' HW

That one really bugged me.

mraynrand
06-30-2009, 05:10 PM

You make good points. I agree with almost everything you wrote. That Rams game is really weird. If you get a chance to, go back and watch it - Favre was really getting no support and he did make quite a few good plays. I watched it a few years back to see how bad he really was, and I was shocked by how much my judgment of his play was clouded by the outcome of the game.

cpk1994
06-30-2009, 05:14 PM

The funny thing about it too as concerns Favre that people don't give him credit for. Brett Favre would be the first one to lay all the blame on himself even when what is written above is so true.

GO PACKERS!Brett take the blame? What a crock. YOU obviously have forgotten the Mike SHerman years. Brett hid while SHerman made excuses for him. 5 INT game agsint Cincinatti? He ran and hid like a coward while Sherman covered for him. He rarely, if ever, lay blame on himself.

woodbuck27
06-30-2009, 05:21 PM

GO PACKERS!Brett take the blame? What a crock. YOU obviously have forgotten the Mike SHerman years. Brett hid while SHerman made excuses for him. 5 INT game agsint Cincinatti? He ran and hid like a coward while Sherman covered for him. He rarely, if ever, lay blame on himself.

I see your in your normally high spirit. Your such a pleasure. :lol:

Just to lighten it up around here. I saw this just now and thought it amusing.

Friday, May 8, 2009

David Letterman has his say on Brett Favre

Here's David Letterman's take on Brett Favre, from Thursday night's "Late Night" show on CBS:

"Brett Favre played all of his career for the Green Bay Packers. He started in Atlanta, played for the Falcons and they traded him to Green Bay. He’s a tremendous Super Bowl champion, an icon, Hall of Famer. Then, he quits the Green Bay Packers and goes to the New York Jets. Then, he quits the New York Jets. Said, 'That is it, I'm done.' Oh no, he is not done. Apparently, he is going to the Minnesota Vikings."

Letterman then aired an "announcement" on Favre’s plans:

"Hey, football fans, Brett Favre is coming to the Vikings. This is your last chance to see Brett play before he goes to Jacksonville next year.

Then, you won't want to miss Favre's 2011 stint with the Raiders. Then, it's back to the Jets before an emotional reunion in Green Bay. Did someone say Winnipeg? That's right. In 2014, Brett's going to Canada, and then what the hell? He'll pour out another year with the Jets.

Brett Favre, take it to the bank!"

It's not among the online clips from Thursday night's show, so this will have to do.

-- Jeff Ash, jash@greenbaypressgazette.com

HarveyWallbangers
06-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Brett take the blame? What a crock. YOU obviously have forgotten the Mike SHerman years. Brett hid while SHerman made excuses for him. 5 INT game agsint Cincinatti? He ran and hid like a coward while Sherman covered for him. He rarely, if ever, lay blame on himself.

I disagree with this. Brett took blame. Always? No. But he did so more than most superstars for most of his career. I've seen him lay the blame on others in recent years, but that just might be an aging star trying to convince himself that he is still a star. I have little doubt that his decision making and the natural decline in his skills was as much to blame for his failures at the end of last season as his arm injury, but if Favre thought that was the case, he probably wouldn't come back. Thus, I've see him justifying his struggles (i.e. not taking blame) more. It's not unusual. For most of his career, I saw him man up and take blame plenty of times when he messed up.

woodbuck27
06-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Brett take the blame? What a crock. YOU obviously have forgotten the Mike SHerman years. Brett hid while SHerman made excuses for him. 5 INT game agsint Cincinatti? He ran and hid like a coward while Sherman covered for him. He rarely, if ever, lay blame on himself.

I disagree with this. Brett took blame. Always? No. But he did so more than most superstars for most of his career. I've seen him lay the blame on others in recent years, but that just might be an aging star trying to convince himself that he is still a star. I have little doubt that his decision making and the natural decline in his skills was as much to blame for his failures at the end of last season as his arm injury, but if Favre thought that was the case, he probably wouldn't come back. Thus, I've see him justifying his struggles (i.e. not taking blame) more. It's not unusual. For most of his career, I saw him man up and take blame plenty of times when he messed up.

Thank You Harvey.

cpk1994
06-30-2009, 07:46 PM

I disagree with this. Brett took blame. Always? No. But he did so more than most superstars for most of his career. I've seen him lay the blame on others in recent years, but that just might be an aging star trying to convince himself that he is still a star. I have little doubt that his decision making and the natural decline in his skills was as much to blame for his failures at the end of last season as his arm injury, but if Favre thought that was the case, he probably wouldn't come back. Thus, I've see him justifying his struggles (i.e. not taking blame) more. It's not unusual. For most of his career, I saw him man up and take blame plenty of times when he messed up.Maybe at the beginning of his carerr, but once Mike Sherman was hired that changed completely. He had no problem chatting up the media after wins, but after losses, especially when he had bad performacnes, he was nowhere to be found while Mike Sherman sat there and came up with every excuse in the book, "WR ran the wrong route", The ball slipped out of Brett's hand", "Well, he has a thumb injury" etc. Basically only took the blame when coaches refused cover for him.

SnakeLH2006
07-01-2009, 12:44 AM

I disagree with this. Brett took blame. Always? No. But he did so more than most superstars for most of his career. I've seen him lay the blame on others in recent years, but that just might be an aging star trying to convince himself that he is still a star. I have little doubt that his decision making and the natural decline in his skills was as much to blame for his failures at the end of last season as his arm injury, but if Favre thought that was the case, he probably wouldn't come back. Thus, I've see him justifying his struggles (i.e. not taking blame) more. It's not unusual. For most of his career, I saw him man up and take blame plenty of times when he messed up.Maybe at the beginning of his carerr, but once Mike Sherman was hired that changed completely. He had no problem chatting up the media after wins, but after losses, especially when he had bad performacnes, he was nowhere to be found while Mike Sherman sat there and came up with every excuse in the book, "WR ran the wrong route", The ball slipped out of Brett's hand", "Well, he has a thumb injury" etc. Basically only took the blame when coaches refused cover for him.

It's hard to blame Brett when that was out his hands as Shermy drank some Favrey Kool-Aid game-wise, as that has nothing to do with Brett. I don't remember Brett calling out any player in his whole career (show some articles or STFU) so you should really look at yourself CPK. You call out EVERYONE and bitch and moan on EVERY post about EVERYONE/EVERYTHING, yet unlike Brett (who has produced winners/stats his whole career) you have NEVER produced anything (in your PR post career) but negativity and insults. If Brett did so now (talk down on someone.....which to your point, he never did), at least he ain't a Packer. You still (don't know how it's possible) still post on PR, so lighten your hate, please. It's VERY tiresome. Please post less. Your suck-post ratio is very poor. Prob. the poorest Snake has seen in 5 NFL forums. I've never seen you post a good post without trying to bitch/drag someone (a poster, or player, coach, GM) down. Just quit now. Your mom is texting me now, just begging you stop with the facade....... :shock: :x

cpk1994
07-01-2009, 04:01 AM

It's hard to blame Brett when that was out his hands as Shermy drank some Favrey Kool-Aid game-wise, as that has nothing to do with Brett. I don't remember Brett calling out any player in his whole career (show some articles or STFU) so you should really look at yourself CPK. You call out EVERYONE and bitch and moan on EVERY post about EVERYONE/EVERYTHING, yet unlike Brett (who has produced winners/stats his whole career) you have NEVER produced anything (in your PR post career) but negativity and insults. If Brett did so now (talk down on someone.....which to your point, he never did), at least he ain't a Packer. You still (don't know how it's possible) still post on PR, so lighten your hate, please. It's VERY tiresome. Please post less. Your suck-post ratio is very poor. Prob. the poorest Snake has seen in 5 NFL forums. I've never seen you post a good post without trying to bitch/drag someone (a poster, or player, coach, GM) down. Just quit now. Your mom is texting me now, just begging you stop with the facade....... :shock: :x

Pot calling kettle......

Scott Campbell
07-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I don't remember Brett calling out any player in his whole career (show some articles or STFU) so you should really look at yourself CPK.

Where did CPK say that Brett called out a player? And why are you so worked over nothing once again?

Administrator
07-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Pot calling kettle......

Not even close. Well written and spot on.

Administrator
07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't remember Brett calling out any player in his whole career (show some articles or STFU) so you should really look at yourself CPK.

Where did CPK say that Brett called out a player? And why are you so worked over nothing once again?

Just a guess, but he's probably tired of the tone, or he focused on the "blame other people" comment.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Pot calling kettle......

Not even close. Well written and spot on.

Well written? :lol:

Guess we now know that Admin is a Favre homer.

I thought you were against personal attacks..that post is full of them.

BTW, how is it that "texting your mom" is ok?

Partial, is that you?

cpk1994
07-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Pot calling kettle......

Not even close. Well written and spot on.How is calling me out for personal attacks and then persnaonlly attacking me "Not even close"? Are you saying it's OK for him to personally attack me like he did?

SkinBasket
07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Looks like it's open season on cpk. Better strap one on brah.

mraynrand
07-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Pot calling kettle......

Not even close. Well written and spot on.How is calling me out for personal attacks and then persnaonlly attacking me "Not even close"? Are you saying it's OK for him to personally attack me like he did?

If this place didn't have personal attacks, the post rate would drop about 90% - it wold be like texting back in the late 1990s.

DannoMac21
07-02-2009, 04:31 PM
This truly is a Favre masturbation fest. Now which one of these Favre lovers is secretly John Madden?

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm sure most of your wives change their minds about shit on a daily basis and you still keep her around!

If my girl wanted to bang another producer who I have to work with a couple times a year I'd have a pretty big problem with that ... not insecure, just, you know ... :wink:

You gonna let a girl come tween you and the bucks? For shame.

cpk1994
07-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Looks like it's open season on cpk. Better strap one on brah.I can deal with it, if the admin would just be honest and admit that he has different standards for different posters based on wether he likes you or not.

SkinBasket
07-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Looks like it's open season on cpk. Better strap one on brah.I can deal with it, if the admin would just be honest and admit that he has different standards for different posters based on wether he likes you or not.

Maybe if you had called Favre a cunt, you could have just gotten away with not apologizing.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 09:35 PM

Maybe if you had called Favre a cunt, you could have just gotten away with not apologizing.

Ziggy noticeable absent lately.

Bretsky
07-02-2009, 10:28 PM

different standards ? What a load of crap. How would you know what an admin is PM'ing people ? Silly to generalize like this with limited knowledge.

You are still around and you've shown plenty of disrespect over time toward other posters.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 10:43 PM

different standards ? What a load of crap. How would you know what an admin is PM'ing people ? Silly to generalize like this with limited knowledge.

You are still around and you've shown plenty of disrespect over time toward other posters.

Did you read the thread? From your post, it doesn't appear so.

Rastak
07-02-2009, 10:45 PM

I think it's more based on his impression of a poster being a one trick pony.

Same opinion on same subject interjected into every fucking post.....over and over and over. I will rip this guy, I will rip this poster....rinse and repeat.

Just my guess.

Bretsky
07-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Yes, I read it

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Yes, I read it

And, u don't find Snake's post pretty darn personal...and nothing from the admin...just...good post?

Look, Cpk may be a one trick pony...but, the post was personal.

Pretty hard for some of us not to see selective enforcement...especially after posters were banned...and partial called someone a cunt..and didn't suffer one bit for it.

Rastak
07-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Body of work is my guess......body of work. Same shit over and over equals kick square in ass.

bobblehead
07-02-2009, 11:33 PM

GO PACKERS!

Actually in that particular game he threw Schroeder firmly under the bus...then put it in reverse and backed over him for good measure.

mraynrand
07-03-2009, 01:04 AM

GO PACKERS!

Actually in that particular game he threw Schroeder firmly under the bus...then put it in reverse and backed over him for good measure.

Did he?

SMACKTALKIE
07-03-2009, 01:42 AM
So................ I have wondered this many times over the last year.

I realize there is no way of getting a solid answer to this question.

But.

Does anyone think this whole Favre to the Vikings thing could have been avoided if TT had somehow acquired Randy Moss?

Just a thought.

Spaulding
07-03-2009, 07:57 AM

But.

Does anyone think this whole Favre to the Vikings thing could have been avoided if TT had somehow acquired Randy Moss?

Just a thought.

Not sure I see it having that much of a bearing even if TT successful trades for Moss in 2007. I guess it's possible Brett doesn't play his annual "Am I gonna retire or not" game and commits to 2008. 2009 is another story though as even with Moss we obviously had issues on defense in 2008 and likely wouldn't have done enough to push far into the playoffs even with Favre and Brett.

The only way I see a correlation IMO is if Moss put the Packers over the Edge in 2007 and we win the SB. Brett might then have ridden into the sunset quite happily and as a Packer legend with everybody's respect. Then again he might have come back in 2008 and when the defense caved and we failed to mirror the 2007 season he might have retired for good this offseason.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind fast forwarding a few years when all the Brett hoopla is mostly behind us.

SkinBasket
07-03-2009, 08:18 AM
comment removed - Admin

Skinbasket - check your PM's.

cpk1994
07-03-2009, 08:38 AM

You are still around and you've shown plenty of disrespect over time toward other posters.Reread Snake's personal attack on me and Admin's response. I called "Pot calling kettle" becuase Snake is the last person who should be calling me out for personal attacks based on the repeated personal attacks he has thrown my way, not to mention the thread that ended up in the garbage can that Snake created purely to personally attack me and the constant editing of my posts to misrepersent me. Admin says I wasn't even close and then in a later post implicitly defended the personal attack post. That is how it comes off to me.

cpk1994
07-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Maybe if you had called Favre a cunt, you could have just gotten away with not apologizing.That's one word I will never use.

falco
07-03-2009, 09:21 AM

I think it's more based on his impression of a poster being a one trick pony.

Same opinion on same subject interjected into every fucking post.....over and over and over. I will rip this guy, I will rip this poster....rinse and repeat.

Just my guess.

I agree with you Rastak. I consider CPK to be one of the least contributing posters here (right below myself). But there has to at least be an impression of fairness.

Fritz
07-03-2009, 12:37 PM

But.

Just a thought.

No, I don't think so. People who thrive on drama - and I think Brett Favre needs drama - can never be appeased. They'll just find something else to give them the reason they need to create the drama they subconsciously crave.

SMACKTALKIE
07-03-2009, 12:52 PM

But.

Just a thought.

No, I don't think so. People who thrive on drama - and I think Brett Favre needs drama - can never be appeased. They'll just find something else to give them the reason they need to create the drama they subconsciously crave.

I don't know Fritz. I think Favre's drama has been more cerebral than subconsious. However I don't think he craves it. I think it was his only way to play a very public game of chicken last year with TT. This whole Viking thing has been a product of football fans and media.

I think if a player of a lesser caliber did this, no one would care.

hoosier
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM

But.

Just a thought.

I don't know Fritz. I think Favre's drama has been more cerebral than subconsious. However I don't think he craves it. I think it was his only way to play a very public game of chicken last year with TT. This whole Viking thing has been a product of football fans and media.

Let him play for the Vikings for a few years and then check back with us. :lol:

Administrator
07-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Body of work is my guess......body of work. Same shit over and over equals kick square in ass.

Exactly. Thanks Rastak. You nailed it.

Administrator
07-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Just a brief explanation. Anyone feeling the need to reply, do so by creating a new thread in the Romper Room.

CPK - I overlooked two things in the post that Snake made. You needed a good "telling off" and he did it. No telling off is ever perfect, so yes, I cut him some slack considering.

You've lost your 'right' to gripe with your entire body of work. You don't like it? Leave. You've had more chances than any other poster in this forum, and you are truly on your last chance. (Your fairness comment is absolutely asinine, you have skated more than anyone) You add virtually nothing to these forums. Your only function is to screw things up.

I have asked repeatedly for off topic discussion, and bickering to not be present in this forum. I meant it, and it is going to end.

This forum is to talk about the Packers. That's it. It is not for you or anyone else to bitch, moan, complain, or criticize people.

To everyone:

If you have a post about the topic at hand, post it, if not, don't.

Fritz
07-04-2009, 08:18 AM

But.

Just a thought.

Well, if a player of lesser caliber did this, no one - including NFL teams - would care. Can you imagine a guy like, say, Scott Wells "retiring" from the Packers, then announcing in June or so he wanted to come back? The Packers would just cut him, and he'd be free to sign a minimum wage deal with the Jets. He'd play for a year, retire again, then want to come back - in July this time - and no one would touch him.

So yes, Favre's talent has a lot to do with this. And yes, the fans and media stoke the flames. We love this crazy shit, mostly.

But Favre does - over and over - put himself into positions in which he is going to receive more attention than he does otherwise. Let's say for example he didn't talk publicly about retiring every year. Let's say he didn't "retire" from the Pack the first time - let's say he privately told TT he thought he'd retire but he wanted to wait ti the end of April (the draft).

So he comes back after all. No one heard anything, so sure there'd be lots of speculation, but after his announcement there wouldn't be a big circus in the summer. Lots of "How ya feelin'?" stuff, but not the craziness that was last offseason.

Packnut
07-04-2009, 11:20 AM

But.

Just a thought.

Well, if a player of lesser caliber did this, no one - including NFL teams - would care. Can you imagine a guy like, say, Scott Wells "retiring" from the Packers, then announcing in June or so he wanted to come back? The Packers would just cut him, and he'd be free to sign a minimum wage deal with the Jets. He'd play for a year, retire again, then want to come back - in July this time - and no one would touch him.

So yes, Favre's talent has a lot to do with this. And yes, the fans and media stoke the flames. We love this crazy shit, mostly.

But Favre does - over and over - put himself into positions in which he is going to receive more attention than he does otherwise. Let's say for example he didn't talk publicly about retiring every year. Let's say he didn't "retire" from the Pack the first time - let's say he privately told TT he thought he'd retire but he wanted to wait ti the end of April (the draft).

So he comes back after all. No one heard anything, so sure there'd be lots of speculation, but after his announcement there wouldn't be a big circus in the summer. Lots of "How ya feelin'?" stuff, but not the craziness that was last offseason.

In all fairness Fritz, there were several times when his brother would speak first or someone else around him and then Favre would be forced to answer. . Some times it was other players. All this junk about Favre craving attention is nonsense and is put out there by those who don't have a clue.

I mean come on, the media hounds him worse than any Hollywood stars. In the football sport world, Favre is the holy Grail for a lot of these reporters. They are the ones who have consistently stirred the pot. Has he handled it well? No, but then again he's a football player, not a public relations pro which is what many expect of him. Where is it written that a player is suppossed to know how to handle the press?

There are those who claim he should just not say anything. Well, that's easy to say but when your asked the same crap over and over a billion times (insert sarcasm here), sooner or later your gonna say something.

Guiness
07-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Favre puts himself in the position, but the media certainly plays a part. There's not a lot of 'no comment' in that boys vocabulary. Media asks a question, he answers. So the media keeps asking, he keeps answering.

Fritz
07-04-2009, 12:49 PM

But.

Just a thought.

In all fairness Fritz, there were several times when his brother would speak first or someone else around him and then Favre would be forced to answer. . Some times it was other players. All this junk about Favre craving attention is nonsense and is put out there by those who don't have a clue.

I mean come on, the media hounds him worse than any Hollywood stars. In the football sport world, Favre is the holy Grail for a lot of these reporters. They are the ones who have consistently stirred the pot. Has he handled it well? No, but then again he's a football player, not a public relations pro which is what many expect of him. Where is it written that a player is suppossed to know how to handle the press?

There are those who claim he should just not say anything. Well, that's easy to say but when your asked the same crap over and over a billion times (insert sarcasm here), sooner or later your gonna say something.

The boldfaced part above is where we disagree. First, Favre is not ever "forced" to answer. It's his nature to answer. Also, there are many people, and I am one, who think that Favre uses family members to get messages out that he wants out there but doesn't want to give himself - the Thompson-bashing, for example.

The guy's been playing for how many years now? Almost 20? Something like that? It's a fact of life in the NFL that if you're a QB and you last a few years as a starter, part of the job description does involve knowing how to deal with the press. It may not be written down, but teams now teach players how to address the media so as not to stir the pot. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I think it's fair to expect an NFL player who's been around for a long time to know how to deal with the press.

And finally, I do think Favre craves attention. That's just my opinion, and I think his history supports that, but there it is.

MOBB DEEP
07-04-2009, 04:24 PM

HILARIOUS