PDA

View Full Version : Jolly's Court Case Starts Today

vince
06-26-2009, 06:35 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090625/PKR01/90625167/1058

If he's found guilty, he's looking at a 4-game suspension. If innocent, no suspension.

This could make or break him, as he's a bit of a tweener anyway in the 3-4. If he's a non-factor to start the season, and particularly with the addition of Raji, he may never get back in the mix.

gbpackfan
06-26-2009, 07:10 AM
He had cough syrup! Oh my God!!!

Stallworth got 30 days for killing a man so Jolly shouldn't be worried. Right..... :P :wink:

Rastak
06-26-2009, 07:54 AM

Stallworth got 30 days for killing a man so Jolly shouldn't be worried. Right..... :P :wink:

Actually Stallworth got 30 days for driving drunk (a very bad thing) and having a dude run in front of his car trying to catch a bus.

prsnfoto
06-26-2009, 09:23 AM

Actually Stallworth got 30 days for driving drunk (a very bad thing) and having a dude run in front of his car trying to catch a bus.

Well a chick here in LaCrosse just got 15 years for hitting a guy walking in the middle a a busy street with traffic and his back turned on New Years Eve, granted she left the scene and they never could give her a DUI but they had her on video drinking at a bar. In todays world if you have ANY alcohol in you, you are guilty and she did leave the scene which I don't condone, but somewhat understand the fear. Stallworth got off because he gave millions to the scumballs related to the victim, I give him credit for being a man and stopping but he bought his way out by giving money to people with less morals than even him.

pbmax
06-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Stallworth got off because he gave millions to the scumballs related to the victim, I give him credit for being a man and stopping but he bought his way out by giving money to people with less morals than even him.
Do you really know the family involved enough to conclude that they are scumballs? Or is this internet bravado?

Prosecutors frequently do not abide by the wishes of the victim's family in cases (although their cooperation can be important).

Stallworth did all he could to make amends. He stopped, called for help, took the DUI test and approached the family.

There is video that supports Rastak's claim that the man put himself in harms way.

So we have the victim's family, prosecutor, the driver and a video all pointing to 30 day jail time, 8 years probation, a couple of years of house arrest and thousands of hours of community service as justice served.

But anonymous internet message board poster thinks the family are scumballs. Perhaps this is more a window into your thinking than it is into theirs.

Fritz
06-26-2009, 09:50 AM

What you write is very probably true but it still reminded me of those internet posts where you get people's excuses, such as "I was driving down the street and suddenly a street lamp got in my way."

Rastak
06-26-2009, 10:30 AM

What you write is very probably true but it still reminded me of those internet posts where you get people's excuses, such as "I was driving down the street and suddenly a street lamp got in my way."

Yea, I always loved that one. I guess they have video from a camera mounted nearby that showed the dude run out into traffic trying to get his bus. I will say it seemed odd Stallworth said he flashed his lights to warn the dude.....that sounds like a well thought out plan, how about jamming on the brakes dumbass!

As to the scumbag comment earlier (not Fritz), where the hell did that come from, you know these people?

MadScientist
06-26-2009, 11:42 AM
What I still don't get is the charge of 200 grams of codeine. The cough syrup + soda was more than 200 grams, but the amount of codeine was closer to 200mg. It's like charging someone with having 2000lbs of pot because the cops found an ounce of pot in a car and added the weight of the car to the charge.

Fritz
06-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Mad, I was in ignorance of the ins and outs, but some posters here with more knowledge than I set me straight - I guess there is some thing that can be done that makes the "cough syrup" kinda dangerous, so it's a bigger deal than it sounds.

woodbuck27
06-26-2009, 01:30 PM
I believe that a decent lawyer gets him off on that charge after looking at the circumstances as posted here.

pbmax
06-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Prosecutor's asked for (and got) a postponement until the 17th of July.

Fritz
06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Wonder if they see they have a crappy case and want to try to strike a plea?

Lurker64
06-26-2009, 04:35 PM
If he gets a decent lawyer, he should be able to beat this easily. It's not really possible for a 20 ounce bottle to contain 200g of codeine considering that 20 fluid ounces of the most potent prescription codeine cough syrup available would only contain about 140g of codeine. I don't think Jolly and his associates are clever enough to take codeine laced-cough syrup and somehow distill it enough to be more concentrated... why would they want to anyway?

What likely happened is that the arresting officer estimated about 200g of fluid (that's about a half-full 20 ounce bottle), and tried to push a misdemeanor possession charge into a felony "intent to distribute" charge, and that sort of thing frequently results in the case getting thrown out in court.

I'm guessing Jolly beats this or ends up on a misdemeanor possession charge, and probably just ends up in the NFL substance abuse programe assuming he is appropriately conciliatory before the feet of Goodell.

KYPack
06-26-2009, 05:48 PM
If he gets a decent lawyer, he should be able to beat this easily. It's not really possible for a 20 ounce bottle to contain 200g of codeine considering that 20 fluid ounces of the most potent prescription codeine cough syrup available would only contain about 140g of codeine. I don't think Jolly and his associates are clever enough to take codeine laced-cough syrup and somehow distill it enough to be more concentrated... why would they want to anyway?

What likely happened is that the arresting officer estimated about 200g of fluid (that's about a half-full 20 ounce bottle), and tried to push a misdemeanor possession charge into a felony "intent to distribute" charge, and that sort of thing frequently results in the case getting thrown out in court.

I'm guessing Jolly beats this or ends up on a misdemeanor possession charge, and probably just ends up in the NFL substance abuse programe assuming he is appropriately conciliatory before the feet of Goodell.

That's the gist of it, Lurk.

This is where celebrity works against you. If this was just 3 guys, the cops would have written a minor ticket and hauled one to 3 of 'em off to jail. After a night in the can, that would've been the end of the case.

When a prosecutor "over-charges" like this, most judges will throw the case out on the facts. there is NO way this is an "intent to ditribute' case. What was Jolly gonna do, sell sips of his lean for a buck a hit?

falco
06-26-2009, 06:34 PM
This is lot less worrisome than it was a few months ago I think.

MadScientist
06-26-2009, 10:47 PM

That's the gist of it, Lurk.

This is where celebrity works against you. If this was just 3 guys, the cops would have written a minor ticket and hauled one to 3 of 'em off to jail. After a night in the can, that would've been the end of the case.

When a prosecutor "over-charges" like this, most judges will throw the case out on the facts. there is NO way this is an "intent to ditribute' case. What was Jolly gonna do, sell sips of his lean for a buck a hit?
Part of the reason for over-charging is that the prosecutor wants a plea to a lesser charge that is not a slam-dunk. It saves a lot of time and effort if the defendant pleas to the reasonable charge.

In this case the over-charge was way over the top, and the real penalty for pleading guilty to a lesser charge is does not come from the courts, but from the NFL. Jolly has no choice to fight it fully. One thing I don't know about the legal process is if he can be found guilty to a lesser charge by the judge or jury without a plea bargain.

SnakeLH2006
06-27-2009, 12:19 AM
We talking bout cough syrup, not the game. We talking bout cough syrup, I know it's important, but we talking bout cough syrup man. We ain't talking bout the game, we talking bout cough syrup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsId3goYYE

pbmax
06-27-2009, 08:11 AM
The piece doesn't give an indication otherwise, so we might need to take the Prosecutor at face value. He said the calendar is full of more serious crimes.

Patler
06-27-2009, 08:44 AM
The piece doesn't give an indication otherwise, so we might need to take the Prosecutor at face value. He said the calendar is full of more serious crimes.

One article said they had a number of defendants in jail awaiting trial, and they moved those ahead of cases with defendants who are out on bail.