PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV

MJZiggy
06-27-2009, 10:45 AM
I have a TV that's only been turned on a few times since the season ended. It's costing me $57 a month to have the option of satellite programming. The only reason I keep it is for football. The Sunday Ticket costs $45 a month for 6 months. That's $270 a year to watch just the games that aren't on regular tv or picked up locally.

I'm not so rich at the moment, so I'm trying to think through my options. What do you guys think? How much is TV worth?

Scott Campbell
06-27-2009, 11:21 AM
I have a TV that's only been turned on a few times since the season ended. It's costing me $57 a month to have the option of satellite programming. The only reason I keep it is for football. The Sunday Ticket costs $45 a month for 6 months. That's $270 a year to watch just the games that aren't on regular tv or picked up locally.

I'm not so rich at the moment, so I'm trying to think through my options. What do you guys think? How much is TV worth?

IMO - the math doesn't work.

SkinBasket
06-27-2009, 11:27 AM
You obviously just need to stop eating, then this isn't an issue.

MJZiggy
06-27-2009, 11:28 AM
You're right. I've just added the whole thing up and it comes out to almost $950 a year to watch bad tv.

Time to start a Packer meetup to go watch it at the bar.

Freak Out
06-27-2009, 12:15 PM
If the TV is new it has a digital tuner....OTA rocks now so ditch the SAT crap.

GrnBay007
06-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Time to start a Packer meetup to go watch it at the bar.

Not so bad if you are by yourself and meet up with friends to watch a game...you can keep the cost as low as you'd like. Last year we went to a sports bar to watch a few games. The cost goes wayyyy up with a couple kids with you...esp. teens who are always hungry. :)

retailguy
06-27-2009, 01:54 PM

there are a lot of options to stream tv from the internet. Justin TV usually has broadcasted Packer games. (quality isn't great however) You can get recent shows on HULU or ABC or NBC.

For <$50 you can get a cable from your laptop to your TV if it's relatively new. I got an Svideo cable for 24.95 including shipping and stream movies from netflix to the TV all the time.

I have directv for the same reasons you do. I've thought about canceling it, but the only thing we watch is cable. discovery, HGTV, Food network, TRUTV. We don't watch broadcast TV AT ALL. Even news we get from CNN or Fox News Channel.

Tough call. I get it. But I'm paying the same $57 a month too.

GrnBay007
06-27-2009, 02:04 PM
But I'm paying the same $57 a month too.

I've been wanting to get it and have just kept putting it off. I think this will be the year though. Cable rate increase again and now paying something like $62 a month for cable.

retailguy
06-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm hopeful that within the next five years, we'll start to have channel choices via broadband.

There are a few cable channels that I'd like to have, but very few. This cable/satellite monopoly is hopefully threatened in the next several years.

Scott Campbell
06-27-2009, 02:50 PM
For <$50 you can get a cable from your laptop to your TV if it's relatively new.

www.monoprice.com

Partial
06-27-2009, 03:01 PM
For <$50 you can get a cable from your laptop to your TV if it's relatively new.

www.monoprice.com

2nded.

Scott Campbell
06-27-2009, 03:02 PM
For <$50 you can get a cable from your laptop to your TV if it's relatively new. I got an Svideo cable for 24.95 including shipping and stream movies from netflix to the TV all the time.

I'm with RG - broadband content will soon begin eating away at cable and satellite subscriptions.

There are emerging options for streaming media content over your network to your TV's. Within the next 2 to 4 years, they should become fairly mainstream. If you're building a house or finishing a basement, make sure to run Cat 5 (or Cat 6) outlets to all your TV areas.

I use some devices called the Popcorn Hour, but can't recommend it for novices. It's incredibly stable, but setting it up involves tremendous amounts of brain damage. I also keep all my content on a PC running Windows Home Server - by far the best Microsoft product I've ever owned.

MJZiggy
06-27-2009, 03:09 PM
For the moment I may just get a netfllix subscription...

Scott Campbell
06-27-2009, 03:13 PM
For the moment I may just get a netfllix subscription...

We've done Netflix, Blockbuster - even the library which was surprisingly pretty good.

Speaking of saving a few bucks on utilities, how many here are using VOIP instead of the phone company? Which ones? Anyone dropped the land line altogether for their cell phones?

MJZiggy
06-27-2009, 03:28 PM
My company uses VoIP. Works fine.

Scott Campbell
06-27-2009, 03:53 PM
My company uses VoIP. Works fine.

I mean at home.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-27-2009, 05:28 PM
MJ,

Assuming you know some folks in wisco..why not pay for slingbox, have it installed at their house, and then watch the games on your computer.

For the cost of one, you will save on this year's nfl package...and pay zero from then on.

If you want, then you can go back to basic cable or whatever cheap package you want.

retailguy
06-27-2009, 07:38 PM
on the whole slingbox idea, has anyone got experience with this one?

http://myhava.com/product_hava_gold_30.html?gclid=CImyhYvcq5sCFVRM5Q od8TRFoA

Little Whiskey
06-27-2009, 07:56 PM
My cable bill just skyrocketed to $97/ month. I don't have any movie channels or HD packages. The only pkg I subscribe too was the sports pkg. I got a couple extra outdoor channels and NFL network. I called to complain and tell them I was going to switch to DTV but befor I could get the words out they offered me a pkg with more channels for $65/month.

maybe try that route.

Freak Out
06-27-2009, 09:18 PM
$25 bucks for an S-Video cable? Crooks.

Cheesehead Craig
06-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Absolutely go with the threat to leave or otherwise reduce your package somehow. These companies know that getting some money is better than none. I did that with Comcast and they gave me a break in the price of my phone and internet for 6 months. Know what I'm going to do when that's up? Yep, call again and demand they keep the price low.

Aaron12odgers
06-28-2009, 03:32 AM

I'd suggest you downgrade your subscription to the 29.99/mth package.

I dont watch much tv either but Directv is da bomb when it comes to sports. I upgraded my package to the Choice Extra + HD Dvr (75.99/mth) solely for the golf channel, as it is not included in the lower packages. :x Watched Tiger Woods play ALL 72 holes at the US Open last week. :)

SnakeLH2006
07-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Ziggy you are paying through the teeth, girl. Snake pays (with Charter) $105 month with taxes for (high-speed Internet, every HD channel, Sport tier, EVERY movie channel aka HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz and an HD-DVR...that is the shit) but has to hold a gun to the head of my Charter peeps (aka cancel me or re-up me...and they do yearly on renewal). As far as the NFL package...fuck that...

Justin.TV, SopCast, TVUPlayer are all free. You'll never EVER miss a game....and all free. Check that shit out. It's Internet, but hey most don't know that you can buy a $5 VGA jack to get 1080p off your PC/laptop to your HDTV. Check that out. It's priceless...literally.

If I miss something NFL/any PPV whether it's UFC or WWE/TNA PPV (fucking love the UFC!!!!) or whatever which is rare..it's available online for free so just stream it to my living room 50" HD for free via the VGA cable. Just saying...so fuck that NFL package..it's all there for free and looks great for free. Check it out Ziggy! :D

Little Whiskey
07-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Snake, anyway to take movies from your dvr and put them on your pc?

GBRulz
07-01-2009, 01:43 PM
SC, Most people I know don't have land lines anymore unless they have younger kids (for the 911 thing) or crappy cell phone service.

With my permanent move south happening in the next couple of months, paying to watch the Packers on TV is something that will be totally new for me. I really am not a fan of DirectTV and their behind-the-times technology, so I may just find a bar to watch the games at. How much is Sunday Ticket anyhow?

SnakeLH2006
07-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Snake, anyway to take movies from your dvr and put them on your pc?

Nope..not that I know of. External drives are cheap as hell now. I put an external 500 gb on my HD-DVR along with the internal 80gb from the HD-DVR itself fo 580 gigs. Currently I have about 60 HD movies, 12 or so TV shows on it, and it still shows only 79% used up space.

Any external USB 2.0 HDD drive should work, but in doubt call your satellite/cable operater. For about $70 or so online it's a great investment.

Here's two great sites for cheap prices on anything electronic. Hope it helps:

www.dealnews.com
www.slickdeals.net

Scott Campbell
07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Any external USB 2.0 HDD drive should work, but in doubt call your satellite/cable operater.

There are still some noisy external drives out there, and in many settings noise can be a problem. I'd suggest finding a quiet one, or better yet, buying an Antec MX-1 and putting your own quiet drive in.

MJZiggy
07-01-2009, 05:24 PM
SC, Most people I know don't have land lines anymore unless they have younger kids (for the 911 thing) or crappy cell phone service.

With my permanent move south happening in the next couple of months, paying to watch the Packers on TV is something that will be totally new for me. I really am not a fan of DirectTV and their behind-the-times technology, so I may just find a bar to watch the games at. How much is Sunday Ticket anyhow?

...just six easy installments of $44.99 EACH! Need to find a Packer bar...

Tyrone Bigguns
07-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Ty still says slingbox or the one that Retail posted is the cheapest.

Add in Snake's suggestion and you are watching the pack for less than 200 bucks....for the life of you or the packers..which ever comes soonest.

SnakeLH2006
07-03-2009, 11:02 PM

Add in Snake's suggestion and you are watching the pack for less than 200 bucks....for the life of you or the packers..which ever comes soonest.

Yeah, I've had a Slingbox for 3 years now. It's the AV Slingbox, and don't ask how, as I've got a HD-DVR, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, VCR, DVD-Recorder, and the Slingbox all hooked to my 50" HDTV. I did a work around on the component cables to get HD support off the AV Slingbox for my laptops, cell.....used some crazy config to get it to go. HD on Sling is topnotch and effortless.

Still....I don't use it much, but for cheap it's great for trips, barhopping, etc. to watch the games, movies etc. Slick program that I have used on my HTC Mogul for the past 2 years. Sling = Slick Stuff. Check those weblinks I posted a few posts up...I found my AV Sling on there years ago for under $100.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-04-2009, 12:54 AM

Yeah, I've had a Slingbox for 3 years now. It's the AV Slingbox, and don't ask how, as I've got a HD-DVR, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, VCR, DVD-Recorder, and the Slingbox all hooked to my 50" HDTV. I did a work around on the component cables to get HD support off the AV Slingbox for my laptops, cell.....used some crazy config to get it to go. HD on Sling is topnotch and effortless.

Still....I don't use it much, but for cheap it's great for trips, barhopping, etc. to watch the games, movies etc. Slick program that I have used on my HTC Mogul for the past 2 years. Sling = Slick Stuff. Check those weblinks I posted a few posts up...I found my AV Sling on there years ago for under $100.

Is that program compatible for other smart phones...ty is pondering the new pre.

SnakeLH2006
07-04-2009, 01:09 AM

Is that program compatible for other smart phones...ty is pondering the new pre.

Yeah, Ty, it should be as my HTC Mogul is a Windows 6.0 originally/6.1 (I upgraded the ROM) as if your cell has Windows running on a Smart Phone..you should be able to run Sling on it. It's pretty slick (Sling) and if you have a proprietory Windows program, your cell phone should be able to run SlingPlayer.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-04-2009, 01:27 AM

Yeah, Ty, it should be as my HTC Mogul is a Windows 6.0 originally/6.1 (I upgraded the ROM) as if your cell has Windows running on a Smart Phone..you should be able to run Sling on it. It's pretty slick (Sling) and if you have a proprietory Windows program, your cell phone should be able to run SlingPlayer.

The pre doesn't run windows.

doesn't really matter..as really no reason for Ty to have the slingbox. The suggestion was really for zig.

SnakeLH2006
07-04-2009, 01:49 AM

doesn't really matter..as really no reason for Ty to have the slingbox. The suggestion was really for zig.

OK. but if you have Windows running on your cell...bottom line...get some Slingbox...it's cheap/easy/really easy to configure. Run anything off your DVR to your cell. I'm pretty sure you must run Windows, but maybe not...check the website to be sure.

www.slingmedia.com

Tyrone Bigguns
07-04-2009, 03:37 PM

OK. but if you have Windows running on your cell...bottom line...get some Slingbox...it's cheap/easy/really easy to configure. Run anything off your DVR to your cell. I'm pretty sure you must run Windows, but maybe not...check the website to be sure.

www.slingmedia.com

I've never run windows on a cell yet. Had the treo for years...then ditched it for the Samsung Blade. gonna go back and get a smartphone...thinking pre, but I've liked HTC for a long time...but want the top one...don't think they offer it in this country yet.

I'm not anti MS, but i prefer not to give my money to them.

Have to check out dynamism again.

MJZiggy
07-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Oh. And I called to cancel my service and they knocked half off Sunday ticket and $16 a month off the regular bill, so I'll hang onto it until after the season and THEN cancel it.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Oh. And I called to cancel my service and they knocked half off Sunday ticket and $16 a month off the regular bill, so I'll hang onto it until after the season and THEN cancel it.

Any company that gets a regular payment from you....is always willing to cut deals...RETENTION.

Ty has been with Sprint since 99. Every contract that is up..ty calls...threatens to leave...connect ty to customer retention....what can we do to make you stay.

Ty hasn't paid anything for a phone in 8 years. Ty pays 40 bucks a month for 2000 anytime minutes (soon to be more), 7 nite calling time, and free top of line phone.

AtlPackFan
07-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Where south???

AtlPackFan
07-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need a landline for Directv...yes/no????

Zool
07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need a landline for Directv...yes/no????

No. You used to need one to get PPV, but now you can use highspeed internet. Or just not use PPV.

Freak Out
07-08-2009, 12:49 PM

Any company that gets a regular payment from you....is always willing to cut deals...RETENTION.

Ty has been with Sprint since 99. Every contract that is up..ty calls...threatens to leave...connect ty to customer retention....what can we do to make you stay.

Ty hasn't paid anything for a phone in 8 years. Ty pays 40 bucks a month for 2000 anytime minutes (soon to be more), 7 nite calling time, and free top of line phone.

When I canceled my last subscription with GCI (Local, Long, Basic cable and High Speed Internet) the person on the other side of the counter didn't try and keep my business. Just gave me a receipt for returning boxes and other assorted junk and said adios. They will not cut deals with a private consumer.

AtlPackFan
07-08-2009, 01:32 PM

No. You used to need one to get PPV, but now you can use highspeed internet. Or just not use PPV.

Do you need a hardwired connection or will wireless work? If so, how? Thanks!

Tyrone Bigguns
07-08-2009, 04:55 PM

When I canceled my last subscription with GCI (Local, Long, Basic cable and High Speed Internet) the person on the other side of the counter didn't try and keep my business. Just gave me a receipt for returning boxes and other assorted junk and said adios. They will not cut deals with a private consumer.

Counter is the key to the situation..imho. When you are at the counter..those people are just order takers/barely functional.

Ty is strictly talking phone call. Try it next time. Ty isn't saying anything is 100 percent..but, Ty has yet to strike out...and just look at what happened to Zig when she called.

retailguy
07-08-2009, 06:06 PM

I assume that you're talking about ordering PPV from the satellite box. You do need a phone line for that. Alternatively, you can use your PC, log into your account on the directTV website and purchase PPV that way. directtv then communicates one way, with your box, (the same way they program the card) and you have access to the PPV event.

Hope that helps.

Zool
07-08-2009, 06:58 PM

I assume that you're talking about ordering PPV from the satellite box. You do need a phone line for that. Alternatively, you can use your PC, log into your account on the directTV website and purchase PPV that way. directtv then communicates one way, with your box, (the same way they program the card) and you have access to the PPV event.

Hope that helps.

The new boxes can use ethernet over highspeed. No phone line needed. I would assume that a wireless would work with it but I havent tried.

Little Whiskey
07-09-2009, 09:41 AM

Zig, you might want to make sure you didn't enter into a contract for the discount. When I had direct tv I negotiated my bill down (matched a competitors price) and after I cancelled I was hit with a $90 fee on the last bill. I was told that since I didn't stay for a certain length of time (don't remember how long i needed to stay I think 3 Months)) after the deal was struck they back charged me for it. I had to fight them over many phone calls to finally get them to remove the bill.

Now I fight with comcast instead of direct tv. Its a pain in the ass really so I've just made a game of it. I don't hang up unitil I get what i want. I am very polite and just keep saying, "if you can't do it for me then please send me to someone who can". I usually plan to spend a couple hours on the phone evertime. Any time I call them it is an hour minimum on the phone.

AtlPackFan
07-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Hope that helps.

The new boxes can use ethernet over highspeed. No phone line needed. I would assume that a wireless would work with it but I havent tried.

Zool and retailguy,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Iron Mike
07-09-2009, 07:54 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/AQUA/24-293~Trailer-Park-Boys-Posters.jpg

How thew hell are you supposed to watch the Trailer Park Boys without DirecTV? :roll:

SnakeLH2006
07-10-2009, 11:37 PM

I agree, but if you have a buddy with Sprint it gets better. Currently I pay about $22 monthly with taxes on my HTC Mogul for 1200 anytime min. Unlimited text, unlimited data plan (streaming my Sling, Internet, Youtube vids), unlimited pic/video mail, 6pm nites, no roaming fees, free Sprint-to-Sprint and Sprint-to-Nextel, fab 5 match (don't know what they call it, but I can choose my top 5 numbers for free calls to and fro), and unless Snake goes over 1200 min/month (impossible...I hate long conversations) there is no possibility of an any overage fees. Oh yea, I also get 17% off for my firm I work for...depending where you work nationally, you get crazy discounts. I used to get a 15% loyalty discount, but had to turn it in for the 17%. In this shitty economy, EVERY cent counts, no?

I really used to upgrade my cell yearly, but the HTC Mogul is like a PC (totally mod worthy) and have a 32 gig SDHC card
that holds most all my MP3's, some great vids, EVERY old NES/SNES game to play if you are bored, etc. I rarely use it for that, but it's an amazing phone app. I really have yet to see something for a new phone since I got in Sept. 2007 that is better/need. Great phone.

Anywayz, Snake got that plan for being good buds with the GM of my local store, but got in the loop of the Sprint circle and helped out many buddies (prob. about 5-7...don't really remember/care) that get the same plan now too (called SERO....look it up on slickdeals.net) without them knowing anyone as my GM bud gave me a tip to help them out. They get the same deal for about $35 or less/monthly with taxes, just based off of Internet links.

Check that shit out. Google SERO as that is basically the plan ole Snakey is on but a bit cheaper, but for around $30/monthly that is some good stuff. My younger sis is 23 (Chemical Engineer now and smart as all hell) but shocked to hear that she could get this deal when I told her about SERO (which is the Sprint Employee and friends and family plan BTW)/hooked it up. She pays $27/monthly with SERO with Sprint for the same plan as Snake. But you could too! The best thing is that Sprint "GrandFathers" all the deals, meaning they will not raise the rates in the future. You are "stuck" and thank god, with the same rate 100 years from now if need be, as they can't raise your rate.

Check it out. Snake is here to help if anyone has any questions.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-11-2009, 01:30 AM
Ty will check it out. ty is done with his contact...and looking at phones..checked out pre today.

Liked it, but felt the slider was a bit flimsy and would break.

Ty likes the HTC, but Ty heard they are coming out with new HTC Pro pretty soon...like end of month. Mogul? That isn't listed on the sprint site..at least not when Ty puts in his zip code..you just buy it? Mogul is older...doesn't have the Touchflo, right?

If I go with SERO..you think they'll gimme the phone for free? Ty hasn't paid for a phone since 99. And, since ty likes a new phone every 2 years...works about the same if i keep my plan and get a phone...or get SERO and have to buy a phone.

Ty just googled...seems SERO is defunct. It was open in 06 to everybody..now closed. You now need an email addy of sprint person.

Lots of people trying to sell/takeover their sero, but there are wide variations. It appears the standard for 30 beans is 500 minutes.

You just go to the sprint website and enter a sprint email addy .....and access to plans. How hard is that...guess Ty will mosy on down to the sprint store and look at phones..and take a biz card. :twisted:

Maybe Ty will offer a few beans to the right person if they can match your deal. The talk time is a lot less, but the unlimited internet and text....very good.

SnakeLH2006
07-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Ty will check it out. ty is done with his contact...and looking at phones..checked out pre today.

Ty likes the HTC, but Ty heard they are coming out with new HTC Pro pretty soon...like end of month. Mogul? That isn't listed on the sprint site..at least not when Ty puts in his zip code..you just buy it? Mogul is older...doesn't have the Touchflo, right?

If I go with SERO..you think they'll gimme the phone for free? Ty hasn't paid for a phone since 99. And, since ty likes a new phone every 2 years...works about the same if i keep my plan and get a phone...or get SERO and have to buy a phone.

Ty just googled...seems SERO is defunct. It was open in 06 to everybody..now closed. You now need an email addy of sprint person.

Lots of people trying to sell/takeover their sero, but there are wide variations. It appears the standard for 30 beans is 500 minutes.

You just go to the sprint website and enter a sprint email addy .....and access to plans. How hard is that...guess Ty will mosy on down to the sprint store and look at phones..and take a biz card. :twisted:

Maybe Ty will offer a few beans to the right person if they can match your deal. The talk time is a lot less, but the unlimited internet and text....very good.

SERO is STILL active. It's just not available to the general public. Still would upgrade but my HTC Mogul still pimps my cell (and fuck I love upgrades) till I know/see otherwise.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-11-2009, 03:42 PM

SERO is STILL active. It's just not available to the general public. Still would upgrade but my HTC Mogul still pimps my cell (and fuck I love upgrades) till I know/see otherwise.

You misunderstood. At one point in time..SERO was open to anybody...you didn't need the sprint person or sprint email addy. Now you do.

If you have info on how to get more than the 500 minutes cough it up. Also, according to multiple sites...certain phones aren't available on SERO..like the PRE.

There is a SERO plan..but, it isn't as good as the old plans. I'm in the site now...and the plan is:

Everything your phone can do — chirp, text, surf, watch, email, listen, find and, of course, talk — on one simple plan.

This plan includes
Data: Web surfing, email, GPS Navigation, Sprint Music Premier, Sprint TV Premier, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS)
Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)
Talk: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling starting at 7 p.m. and weekends, domestic long distance and no roaming charges

And, it is 60 bucks a month. :evil:

From research they got rid of the orig SERO plan in 08 or so..cos it was ABUSED. Thanx snake for fucking us all over. :wink:
Guess ty will research buying someone else's sero plan.

SnakeLH2006
07-12-2009, 01:43 AM

You misunderstood. At one point in time..SERO was open to anybody...you didn't need the sprint person or sprint email addy. Now you do.

If you have info on how to get more than the 500 minutes cough it up. Also, according to multiple sites...certain phones aren't available on SERO..like the PRE.

There is a SERO plan..but, it isn't as good as the old plans. I'm in the site now...and the plan is:

Everything your phone can do — chirp, text, surf, watch, email, listen, find and, of course, talk — on one simple plan.

This plan includes
Data: Web surfing, email, GPS Navigation, Sprint Music Premier, Sprint TV Premier, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS)
Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)
Talk: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling starting at 7 p.m. and weekends, domestic long distance and no roaming charges

And, it is 60 bucks a month. :evil:

From research they got rid of the orig SERO plan in 08 or so..cos it was ABUSED. Thanx snake for fucking us all over. :wink:
Guess ty will research buying someone else's sero plan.

I wasn't aware that you could do it online, as I always took my buddies into the store to meet with the GM, and he did the deal there. Of course I took about $50 from my buddies or so to do this...and in turn had to take my buddy/GM out for a round of golf/drinks. 8-)

As far as my plan, I believe I got the "Fab 5", 6pm nites, and 1200 min. cuz I knew my buddy. It's basically a raped version of SERO (not the one that is officially known). :twisted: It's basically the same plan my buddy who runs the store has. For $22 a month, I love Sprint.

I really have no reason to upgrade to a new phone, but yeah, you can get new phones for free, but back in Sept. 2007 that was the pimpest phone out there (full PDA, touch, GPS chip, etc.) as I have yet to see something else to get. I did pay $50 for it, as it was BRAND NEW tech at the time, and wasn't even on the website or stores. The list was $650, but I used the $250 retention bonus, and scoured the web for a $200 and $150 rebate that I fudged and sent in. You get what you pay for (or swindle :lol: ) so yeah, you could get a new phone for free, but never a top of the line for free. The HTC Mogul rocks, as I added numerous MOD'd apps and still do, and upgraded the ROM with new cooked ROM's 3 times now. So it's fully upgradeable. If I wanted it to run like the IPhone, it could do all the same stuff EXACTLY like the IPhone, but that setup is for emo's.

digitaldean
07-13-2009, 11:11 PM

My contract is due soon, I may have to try a little haggling with my Sprint rep.....

MJZiggy
07-14-2009, 05:20 AM
Ha! All this discussion on what to do with satellite and I turn the thing on last night only to find that I have no signal!!!

Bretsky
07-14-2009, 07:00 AM
it appears if you had the NFL Package last year Direct TV will give you a notice and assume you want it this year.

I think I'm going to call to tell them I don't want it and wait to see if they have any special offers for those who sign up.

I've never liked that assumption strategy

Little Whiskey
07-14-2009, 11:37 AM
just got my cable bill after renegotiating with them to a lower rate. damn thing is about the same as the old rate. of course they put so much crap on there you can follow what you are being charged for.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-14-2009, 04:11 PM

My contract is due soon, I may have to try a little haggling with my Sprint rep.....

Yes, call them up...and say you are gonna quit..they should put you thru to customer retention. Now, Ty will say that he hasn't done this in 2 years, since last contract was up....and that Sprint has had some bad financial quarters....so, i guess they coulda changed, but i would think they would even be more desperate to stop the customer loss hemorrhaging.

Last go round: Got the Samsung Blade for free (was hot new phone at the time), got more minutes, and got them to put me at 7 for nites (ty had been at 8 when everybody else was at 9...but, then they had changed to 7).

PM if you need assistance or strats.

Snake's SERO plan isn't out there...unless there is something that you can get from the manager at the physical locations. However, Ty has googled "sero plans for sale" and they are out there for sale..customer transfers to you. However, that means you gotta pay for the phone.

Ty just got an email from a guy in Miami looking to sell his.

SnakeLH2006
07-15-2009, 03:36 AM
The problem is this....if you call them up ready to quit...be ready to do it. It's 50/50 if they offer you better....and that's the past talking. If you really don't wanna quit don't do it, cuz with the economy (had 2 out of 2 buddies do it in the past month) you might get fucked. Don't call retentions. Just haggle them with "other" deals you might get, don't call retentions as you better be ready to quit if you don't get what you want. Both lost their plans..And NO ONE is as smart as TY, so just forget that nonsense. :roll:

retailguy
07-15-2009, 08:27 AM
The problem is this....if you call them up ready to quit...be ready to do it. It's 50/50 if they offer you better....and that's the past talking. If you really don't wanna quit don't do it, cuz with the economy (had 2 out of 2 buddies do it in the past month) you might get fucked. Don't call retentions. Just haggle them with "other" deals you might get, don't call retentions as you better be ready to quit if you don't get what you want. Both lost their plans..And NO ONE is as smart as TY, so just forget that nonsense. :roll:

This has been my experience too. You had better be prepared to leave, because that's a distinct possibility. Too many people have gone before you, insisting that they know the firms business better than the firm.

I pay $85 a month for 3 lines with sprint and 2000 shared anytime minutes. How much better can a plan get? You think the retention folks at Sprint don't know that my plan is better than any plans on the market when I call? What incentive do they have to drop my price further? Because I'll leave? Then I'll pay more, wherever I go. It doesn't make any sense. The sprint folks know that, or should know that too.

You just have to fully think through what you're doing. You have to understand the market at the time you're calling, and you have to know what is reasonable for your particular situation. Just making a stink because you can won't typically work. Consumers have power, but not the power that they think they have. Some customers are just too difficult to deal with, regardless of the price.

Scott Campbell
07-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I pay $85 a month for 3 lines with sprint and 2000 shared anytime minutes. How much better can a plan get?

That's a really good deal. I've got 3 lines for a little over $90 including the taxes - 1000 minutes, all you can eat text, pictures and data. Plus all kinds of night and weekend minutes. I'd love to bump the minutes up to 2000.

SkinBasket
07-26-2011, 04:03 PM
So does anyone use any of this shit to watch games anymore? Fucking directTv.

Can you still stream through a slingbox device? Are the streams any good or is it going to look like watching in 1986 with tinfoil on the fucking antenna?

MJZiggy
07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
I dumped directv after the season. The guy on the phone said I can sign up again just for the season, but we'll have to see what the start-up fees look like. Otherwise, I go to the honey's house for ESPN games and the Packer bar for the non-televised. Any DC rats want to meet at Hawk and Dove? I need to find a closer place or maybe a Baltimore place.

SkinBasket
07-26-2011, 07:54 PM
That's the fucking problem with these people. They want a 2 year commitment to order any service at all. How the fuck does this Direct TV stay in business? And they can't even offer matching internet and phone service, just a list of partners in the area. I don't want to sacrifice the quality of Packer broadcasts, but you bunch of fuckwads (not Ziggy) are of no help.

MJZiggy
07-26-2011, 07:59 PM
That's the fucking problem with these people. They want a 2 year commitment to order any service at all. How the fuck does this Direct TV stay in business? And they can't even offer matching internet and phone service, just a list of partners in the area. I don't want to sacrifice the quality of Packer broadcasts, but you bunch of fuckwads (not Ziggy) are of no help.

I believe if you go with the fuckwads otherwise known as Verizon, you can get DirecTV added into FIOS. You'll still have to commit.

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2011, 09:03 PM
AT&T is partnered with DirectTV. AT&T uverse (DSL) is excellent value for internet if you have modest bandwidth needs. I got rid of my cable-based internet and my DSL works just as snappy for half the price.

DirectTV looks like a decent value compared to comparable channel plans on cable. My ass is burning over DirectTV, I just went through a fiasco helping a friend get setup. Just because the sales rep says DirectTV works in your house/building, you may find in the end it doesn't.

Bretsky
07-26-2011, 09:06 PM
I still have Direct TV; I wanted to upgrade so I could take and replay in two locations. But in order to do that I had to sign up for a two year contract. Lost my cool and told them off. It's a year later; had they been flexible we would have that service and be paying more....probably for far more than two years..........but I'm not into long term committments with a fiscal penalty.......well........with the exception of marriage :)

SkinBasket
07-27-2011, 06:50 AM
I still have Direct TV; I wanted to upgrade so I could take and replay in two locations. But in order to do that I had to sign up for a two year contract. Lost my cool and told them off. It's a year later; had they been flexible we would have that service and be paying more....probably for far more than two years..........but I'm not into long term committments with a fiscal penalty.......well........with the exception of marriage :)

That's what I kind of couldn't believe, that there wasn't a way to pay more for short term. I guess the penalty for ending early is only $20 per month remaining, but like I told the sales rep, they sure as shit don't make getting directTV easy. They're partnered with Cincinnati Bell down here to offer phone, pretty shitty cable, and their standard level plan for $80/mo for 12 months and it comes with Sunday ticket, so I might still give it a go after checking if we can keep our number we got through Time Warner and if we have to pay to have our security system changed. It sure is cheaper, but it's also crappier.

SkinBasket
07-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Fuck it, I think I'm keeping TW cable and phone, but downgrading the cable, since I've grabbed enough porn at 50 Mbps to last a year or two anyway, then having fuckwads from directTV provide our tv service. In the end we save money, about 30-40 a month, bring our cable service down to normal levels, but gain this season's NFl sunday ticket at no charge. I guess that's a win, for now.

Zool
07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
You still have a land line phone? Did you have zubaz on too?

SkinBasket
07-27-2011, 03:25 PM
You still have a land line phone? Did you have zubaz on too?

Eat my vagina. It's mostly for the security system. But yes, I call people from the "big" phone occasionally.

Zool
07-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Eat my vagina. It's mostly for the security system. But yes, I call people from the "big" phone occasionally.

http://e-reversephonelookup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/anywho-reverse-phone-lookup.jpg

Oh, I think I hear it ringing now.

When you pick it up do you ask the operator to connect you with KL5-2997?

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Fuck it, I think I'm keeping TW cable and phone, but downgrading the cable, since I've grabbed enough porn at 50 Mbps to last a year or two anyway

try running a program to test your true bandwidth. My "14 MBps" service was really 3 MBps. The true bandwidth varies wildly by location and time. Cable ethernet is inherently bursty, you get moments where it locks up. DSL is much more consistent. If I got cable internet again, I would choose one of the slow packages because it probably will work about the same as the higher bandwidth plans.

MJZiggy
07-27-2011, 07:29 PM
try running a program to test your true bandwidth. My "14 MBps" service was really 3 MBps. The true bandwidth varies wildly by location and time. Cable ethernet is inherently bursty, you get moments where it locks up. DSL is much more consistent. If I got cable internet again, I would choose one of the slow packages because it probably will work about the same as the higher bandwidth plans.

Is that true for FIOS too?

SkinBasket
07-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Maybe you missed the part about how much porn it's delivered.

Bretsky
07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
I called Direct TV to cancel my NFL ticket tonight; a bit of a bummer

They told me of a new technology that would essentially network my HD/DVR to other TV's in the house. No install charge to me due to how long I've been a customer, I guess. So while I got sucked into a two year committment, my wife and I will now be able to DVR and watch HD in our bedroom TV as well. I text'd her and let her know we can now watch porn on HD ! I guess we can also get Internet on the TV's as well. Should be interesting to test out. It's $3 more per month.

Last year for a similar but older service I had to give a two year committment as well as a $239 install fee. With only fiscal risk and extra beer a month I went for it

MJZiggy
07-27-2011, 10:01 PM
I called Direct TV to cancel my NFL ticket tonight; a bit of a bummer

They told me of a new technology that would essentially network my HD/DVR to other TV's in the house. No install charge to me due to how long I've been a customer, I guess. So while I got sucked into a two year committment, my wife and I will now be able to DVR and watch HD in our bedroom TV as well. I text'd her and let her know we can now watch porn on HD ! I guess we can also get Internet on the TV's as well. Should be interesting to test out. It's $3 more per month.

Last year for a similar but older service I had to give a two year committment as well as a $239 install fee. With only fiscal risk and extra beer a month I went for it

I bought a blu ray player instead. Never use it for the blu ray, but get Netflix, Hulu, youtube and a bunch of other stuff on it. I use bf's netflix account so it doesn't cost me anything.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
I text'd her and let her know we can now watch porn on HD !

careful, HD is a dubious idea for porn. Welcome to the world of ass pimples. hold-on to your box of vhs tapes

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Maybe you missed the part about how much porn it's delivered.

I wasn't doubting your prowess as a smut hunter & gatherer. just wondering whether your bazillion MBps porn farm was really all that.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Is that true for FIOS too?
I don't know this acronym. So answer is yes

MJZiggy
07-27-2011, 11:14 PM
I don't know this acronym. So answer is yes

Fiber Optic system.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2011, 11:55 PM
The fiber optic system I have experience with is AT&T Uverse. (They use that "uverse" brand to describe both fiber and non-fiber systems, to endless confusion. When both TV & Internet are offered, it is fiber.) I never tested the bandwidth, but it seemed consistently fast. In theory neighborhood use could affect it the same way as copper wire ethernet. But I guess fiber-based systems are as fast as promised.

SkinBasket
07-28-2011, 06:17 AM
I wasn't doubting your prowess as a smut hunter & gatherer. just wondering whether your bazillion MBps porn farm was really all that.

Yes, it was as fast as promised. The nerds who installed it made sure of it, and in practical (bittorrent) testing, it held. Having 5 Mbps upstream was a bit absurd but really helps with sharing ratios when you're pulling near the whole 50 across several torrents.

Freak Out
07-28-2011, 01:46 PM
There are some great Internet deals down in America ....be happy you have those options. Up here.....it's expensive and shitty service no matter who you go with.

Freak Out
08-17-2011, 06:55 PM
This is sweet.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/17/directv-brings-nfl-sunday-ticket-to-android-tablets-and-the-ps3/