PDA

View Full Version : Statistics help

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Anyone good at statistics? I have this paper that I have to present on that talks about CI, power analysis, and other stuff that I'm confused about. If anyone understands this stuff I would love some help!!!

Here is the article:

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/337/oct16_2/a1840

Scott Campbell
06-29-2009, 09:08 AM
I wonder what the odds are of you finding help here on this?

Partial
06-29-2009, 09:11 AM
ThunderDan claims he's some stud mathematician so perhaps he can help.

hoosier
06-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Anyone good at statistics? I have this paper that I have to present on that talks about CI, power analysis, and other stuff that am confused about. If anyone understands this stuff I would love some help!!!

Here is the article:

The link is to an article on diabetes and vascular disease. Is that really what you are asking for help on?

mraynrand
06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
The P values all suck, but seem correct. The numbers are all big enough, even though they grouped a bunch of shit together that probably doesn't belong together. This could have gone into the 'journal of negative results.' The conclusion "No evidence was found of any interaction between
aspirin and antioxidant" is undeniable. It will be a pretty short journal club. You could impress them with some bullshit by saying that you have to be careful with antioxidants, because of mitochondrial hormesis. All things in moderation.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Anyone good at statistics? I have this paper that I have to present on that talks about CI, power analysis, and other stuff that am confused about. If anyone understands this stuff I would love some help!!!

Here is the article:

The link is to an article on diabetes and vascular disease. Is that really what you are asking for help on?

Yes but the statistics part. Like How to interpret the stats and explain them. Like on page five were they talk about power calculations, I don’t know really what that tells me.

Little Whiskey
06-29-2009, 02:10 PM
I think you just stand up there and say, "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics." then sit down.

now that i think about it, i didn't do very well in stats class either. i wonder why?

Scott Campbell
06-29-2009, 02:17 PM
now that i think about it, i didn't do very well in stats class either. i wonder why?

You think you were bad? I only stood a 1 in 3 chance of getting a True/False question correct?

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Wait a minute maybe I should be asking patler

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-29-2009, 05:08 PM
I think you just stand up there and say, "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics." then sit down.

:D

Tyrone Bigguns
06-29-2009, 05:23 PM

Douche post.

SkinBasket
06-29-2009, 05:36 PM

Douche post.

I think that fulfilled the requirements for both unprovoked insult and insulting one-liner. Maybe being concise in your trouble making earns you a gold star.

I applaud Ty on limiting of his criticism to the post, and not the poster.

Freak Out
06-29-2009, 05:52 PM
I believe you're at the wrong internet forum if you're looking to cheat in your stats class....nothing but honest, hard working, god fearing Americans around here.

Mr. T
06-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Here is the article:

Yes but the statistics part. Like How to interpret the stats and explain them. Like on page five were they talk about power calculations, I don’t know really what that tells me.
I admit that I know very little about this. I did some looking, and I was unable to find any solid online resources. I was able to find this:
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/PowerSampleSize

"The program can determine the sample size needed to detect a specified alternative hypothesis with the required power, the power with which a specific alternative hypothesis can be detected with a given sample size, or the specific alternative hypotheses that can be detected with a given power and sample size. "

From the above, it would appear that "Power" correlates to a confidence level of the significance of an outcome. Apparently this is a metric of how the sample size (i.e. in a medical study) affects the likelihood that an outcome is statistically significant.

But don't quote me....

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-29-2009, 07:21 PM
I believe you're at the wrong internet forum if you're looking to cheat in your stats class....nothing but honest, hard working, god fearing Americans around here.

When did asking for help when you tried and don't understand something become cheating? I don't know anyone good in this stuff that a can ask. It's not an exam, I have to read an article, explain the stats, and then from the stats make a recommendation about the study drugs. It's kind for hard to make to recommendation when I don’t fully understand the stats.

I'm not looking for someone to do my work, I just wanted to know if someone was good in this stuff so that a could ask them a couple questions....

Nevermind I'll figure it out somehow. Forget you.

someone can delete this thread if they want, I didn't know this made me a sinner.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2009, 07:29 PM

When did asking for help when you tried and don't understand something become cheating? I don't know anyone good in this stuff that a can ask. It's not an exam, I have to read an article, explain the stats, and then from the stats make a recommendation about the study drugs. It's kind for hard to make to recommendation when I don’t fully understand the stats.

someone can delete this thread if they want, I didn't know this made me a sinner.

Psssst. I think he was just kidding.

ThunderDan
06-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Anyone good at statistics? I have this paper that I have to present on that talks about CI, power analysis, and other stuff that I'm confused about. If anyone understands this stuff I would love some help!!!

Here is the article:

Is this a one-sided or two sided hypothesis being tested?

Freak Out
06-29-2009, 08:20 PM

I'm not looking for someone to do my work, I just wanted to know if someone was good in this stuff so that a could ask them a couple questions....

:lol:

This thing got you a little stressed?

mraynrand
06-30-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't think it made you a sinner, but it would be pretty funny to present at journal club saying "Mraynrand at Packerrats said that the paper did an appropriate t test, but the standard deviations looked whack."