PDA

View Full Version : World Series of Poker

ThunderDan
06-29-2009, 08:24 PM
A good friend of mine just won his first braclet in the $1,500 NL Hold'em event last week. This week he took 3rd in the $10,000 PL Hold'em event. He's originally from Beaver Dam.

26 years old and he pockets close to $800,000 in a week.

Brando19
06-29-2009, 08:39 PM
That's crazy. I suck at Poker. Maybe he'll be playing for a couple million one day.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-29-2009, 08:47 PM
A good friend of mine just won his first braclet in the $1,500 NL Hold'em event last week. This week he took 3rd in the $10,000 PL Hold'em event. He's originally from Beaver Dam.

Why not give his name?

ty has played with several guys that have cashed in. Very impressive.

Is your buddy a math guy as well?

ThunderDan
06-29-2009, 08:50 PM

Why not give his name?

It's Eric Baldwin. He went to Whitewater. I think he majored in pysch and minored in math.

ThunderDan
06-29-2009, 08:52 PM

Why not give his name?

I've played in the main event 3 of the last 4 years. I had Eric Seidel on my table one year, Andy Bloch the next and Doyle Brunson sat right behind me at my first WSOP (different table).

Tyrone Bigguns
06-29-2009, 09:39 PM

Why not give his name?

It's Eric Baldwin. He went to Whitewater. I think he majored in pysch and minored in math.

Those are 2 good majors..if applied right...to poker.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-29-2009, 09:40 PM

Why not give his name?

I've played in the main event 3 of the last 4 years. I had Eric Seidel on my table one year, Andy Bloch the next and Doyle Brunson sat right behind me at my first WSOP (different table).

Win at satellites or online...surely you didn't pay.

ThunderDan
06-29-2009, 09:51 PM

Why not give his name?

2 of the 3 years I qualified online for around $25. The other year I had a client stake me for a % of my winnings.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Why not give his name?

2 of the 3 years I qualified online for around $25. The other year I had a client stake me for a % of my winnings.

Good job. You win anything.

Last time at bellagio..played with brunson's (son) wife.

ThunderDan
06-30-2009, 10:02 AM

Why not give his name?

Good job. You win anything.

Last time at bellagio..played with brunson's (son) wife.

Never cashed in the WSOP. Did win about $15k in cash and side games at Caesar's one year. Had Mike Sexton and Gavin Smith at my table and knocked both out.

Freak Out
06-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Not being a poker viewer (?) or serious player I was curious if the pro games are always Texas hold games and if so why? I have started to play again with a group of friends and that's all they ever want to play...is there a reason it's so popular now?

ThunderDan
06-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Not being a poker viewer (?) or serious player I was curious if the pro games are always Texas hold games and if so why? I have started to play again with a group of friends and that's all they ever want to play...is there a reason it's so popular now?

Hold'em is now the most popular game because I think it has the right amount of viewable information(5 cards up) verses non-viewable information(2 cards down).

At the WSOP they play almost every type of poker. They play NL Hold'em, PL Hold'em, limit Hold'em, NL/PL and limit Omaha and O H/L 8s or better, PL and limit Seven card stud and stud 8s or better, HORSE, 2 to 7 lowball, 2 to 7 triple draw lowball, short tables, shoot outs, heads-up.

Freak Out
06-30-2009, 12:20 PM

Hold'em is now the most popular game because I think it has the right amount of viewable information(5 cards up) verses non-viewable information(2 cards down).

At the WSOP they play almost every type of poker. They play NL Hold'em, PL Hold'em, limit Hold'em, NL/PL and limit Omaha and O H/L 8s or better, PL and limit Seven card stud and stud 8s or better, HORSE, 2 to 7 lowball, 2 to 7 triple draw lowball, short tables, shoot outs, heads-up.

Sounds like I better start researching the games because I haven't heard of most of those. :lol:

Thanks for the response Dan.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-30-2009, 02:06 PM

There is also one reason Thunder left out...it is an easy game to learn and play. Mastering is tougher, but you can become a "winning" player with very little effort.

Deputy Nutz
06-30-2009, 03:31 PM
I can pretty much sit down at any 2/4, 4/8 table and make a steady chip stack. I won a a couple of daily tourneys the last time I was in Vegas. It was a good trip.

I played 1/2 no limit a while back, and I found it difficult. It is hard to play average hands from pre-flop because of all the raises.

I know I probably shouldn't be playing those hands in the first place, but again, I am happy to call with a j/10 suited, until somebody pushes in 25 bucks on my one dollar call. At the time I didn't have the chip stack maybe required to play a no limit game.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Ty agrees, but Ty really doesn't like playing hold'em unless it is a tournament...otherwise you are at a disadvantage to the person with the largest bank account.

ThunderDan
06-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Ty agrees, but Ty really doesn't like playing hold'em unless it is a tournament...otherwise you are at a disadvantage to the person with the largest bank account.

That's the best time to play in my opinion. You keep a real low profile on the table never attacking the big guys stack. You wait until you have AA or KK and press him. Usually they aren't paying attention and think they can reraise you out of the pot. You get a nice double up and you can make it a very profitable time at the table.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-30-2009, 08:59 PM

That's the best time to play in my opinion. You keep a real low profile on the table never attacking the big guys stack. You wait until you have AA or KK and press him. Usually they aren't paying attention and think they can reraise you out of the pot. You get a nice double up and you can make it a very profitable time at the table.

True, but still...they just put more money on the table.

Tournaments to me are the best...since they force you to make decisions...blinds going up, being in the money, etc.

ThunderDan
07-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Tournaments to me are the best...since they force you to make decisions...blinds going up, being in the money, etc.

And then you take that, and that put more money on the table and you take that.

I think that as long as you play tight aggresive poker and don't fall off your game you want money on the table because over time you will be the winner.

Was playing in Vegas about 6 years ago with that exact situation. Some guy kept putting more and more money out and loosing. About $1,800 into his wallet some other guy on the table made fun of him. That caused the fish to leave. I tore into the other guy's ass for making our "easy" money leave the table.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-01-2009, 06:56 PM

I think that as long as you play tight aggresive poker and don't fall off your game you want money on the table because over time you will be the winner.

Was playing in Vegas about 6 years ago with that exact situation. Some guy kept putting more and more money out and loosing. About $1,800 into his wallet some other guy on the table made fun of him. That caused the fish to leave. I tore into the other guy's ass for making our "easy" money leave the table.

I get your point, but again, ty prefers tournaments. Taking the money is a victory of sorts...but, rarely does anyone wind up "winning."

Ty prefers having to battle against players and the tournament itself. There is a reason the WSOP don't follow your rules..ultimately, it favors the largest bankroll.

ThunderDan
07-01-2009, 07:29 PM

I get your point, but again, ty prefers tournaments. Taking the money is a victory of sorts...but, rarely does anyone wind up "winning."

Ty prefers having to battle against players and the tournament itself. There is a reason the WSOP don't follow your rules..ultimately, it favors the largest bankroll.

There are rebuy events in the WSOP.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-01-2009, 08:08 PM

Umm, not anymore. :oops:

ThunderDan
07-01-2009, 08:20 PM

Event 52 is a triple chance event with two add-ons, its a new event this year.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-02-2009, 05:55 PM

Event 52 is a triple chance event with two add-ons, its a new event this year.

Ty is aware of the triple chance, but that aint' a rebuy..and you know it. Or, were all the pros complaining just idiots. :lol: