PDA

View Full Version : 500 Million in debt

GrnBay007
06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Crazy sh!t!!!

How can someone be that far in debt after making all that money? They will be able to publish a book about his finances alone.

I read something several months ago about him recording some songs that he wrote for his kids and would not be released until after his death. I'm sure those songs will be released soon and earn a lot of money.

(won't let me use the URL....so here it is)
Michael Jackson's lucrative afterlife has just begun

Michael Jackson, the man they called "The King of Pop," worried he would end up dead like "The King of Rock 'n' Roll" Elvis Presley, the father of his ex-wife Lisa Marie. Jackson's worries are proving to be prophetic.

Already, the price of Jackson memorabilia is soaring. Pop culture expert Gary Sohmers, who also is an appraiser on "The Antiques Roadshow" told DailyFinance that he saw a reproduction of a Jackson autograph fetch $1,400. Jackson's actual autograph fetches about $400 to $800. Sohmers, a former music promoter who runs allcollectors.com, cautions would-be collectors against buying into Michael mania.

Settling Jackson's estate will be complex. Media reports indicate that the entertainer was $500 million dollars in debt when he died, despite having made $700 million as a performer over his career.

There's also the matter of what will happen to his three children. His mother Katherine's efforts to seek legal custody of the the kids, including "Blanket", who Jackson infamously dangled out of the window, are being opposed by Deborah Rowe, the mother of two of them.

Then there's the property. Jackson reportedly recorded 100 "secret songs" over the years. He also has the property from the Neverland Ranch, an auction of which Jackson canceled in April days before it was scheduled to occur. Julien's Auctions is selling a set of catalogs detailing items in the sale for $500. A phone call to Julien's to find out if the sale was rescheduled was not returned.

Probably Jackson's most valuable asset was his stake in a partnership that owned the publishing rights to more than 200 classic Beatles songs. He spent $47.5 million to buy the rights in 1985; now his share is worth more than $500 million, according to The New York Times. But selling the tunes won't mend the King of Pop's troubled finances all by itself, because he used the collection as collateral for $300 million in loans that still must be repaid.

Before he died, interest in Jackson collectibles was on the decline as fans voiced their disgust over the child molestation allegations against him. That, of course, has changed. Recent sales have been through the roof -- including $25,000 for a painting he did as a child of Micky Mouse. A crystal-studded shirt sold for $52,000, ahead of the $6,000 sales estimate, according to Sohmers.

Jackson has joined a pantheon of music dieties including Frank Sinatra, Kurt Cobain, Bob Marley and John Lennon who will continue to interest collectors for generations to come. Jackson's money woes may be solved through smart licensing arrangements.

"He will make more money in his death than he did in his life," Sohmers said. "My 13-year-old got the opportunity to discover Michael Jackson."

Brando19
06-29-2009, 08:38 PM
That's crazy. He was bad in debt. I would have figured he made more than $700 million performing. The article is right...he'll make more dead than alive...just like Elvis. I went to two different Walmarts...and they were both completely sold out of every Michael CD. If you go to the Great Smoky Mountains in Pigeon Forge...which is where I'm going Wednesday....you see Elvis shops and impersonators everywhere. I guarantee the same will be for Michael Jackson worldwide.

packinpatland
06-29-2009, 08:47 PM
But.........the part I don't/can't understand is.....how can you be that much in debt?

MJZiggy
06-29-2009, 08:52 PM
But.........the part I don't/can't understand is.....how can you be that much in debt?You spend like Michael Jackson?

GrnBay007
06-29-2009, 08:53 PM
I went to two different Walmarts...and they were both completely sold out of every Michael CD.

Kinda funny. About two weeks ago I was at Target and I saw Michael Jackson's "Number One's" CD on sale. (His #1 songs throughout) I bought it because my kids suddenly took this interest in 80's music. ( :D ) and love Thriller, Billy Jean, Beat It. Looks like I bought at the right time....and on sale! lol

Dang, I just read another article about custody of his kids. It's fascinating reading but the whole thing (really........the whole thing!) is sad. And I mean sad in many different ways too.

GrnBay007
06-29-2009, 08:55 PM
But.........the part I don't/can't understand is.....how can you be that much in debt?

Well, it says he owned the publishing rights to more than 200 classic Beatles songs and used that as collateral.

That's what I meant when I said they could probably end up writing a book about his finances alone. Can you imagine?

Scott Campbell
06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Paying off witnesses can get expensive.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-29-2009, 09:08 PM

MJ spent more than he made. He was infamous for his spending sprees.

It aint' cheap going around the world with an entourage of 15-20. He spent millions every year on charter planes, antiques, art, etc. According to one source, 8 mill a year on that stuff.

4 mill a year on Neverland upkeep and staff.

MJ spent about a million for the "bad" video...think about how many others he had. He spent wildly on vids/teasers/promos for compilations like History.

15 million for vanity project "ghosts"..35 minute film he wrote with steven king.

According to sources, he spent 65 mill on vid projects in the mid 90s.

50 mill on deals that never panned out...amusement parks, etc.

In recent years his albums didn't sell great...and he didn't tour. He went 10 years without an album..91-01.

Bad managers and good managers he didnt' listen to...add in lawsuits.

It isn't like anything bad will happen....they can sell assets, structure the debt, tours of neverland, sell part of the ranch, license his songs, etc.

The debt was the reason he was touring. If he continued as planned...ty recalls he would make around 300 million.

Gunakor
06-29-2009, 09:08 PM
He has 500 million in debts. They haven't calculated his assets yet as far as I know. We don't know how much money he has after his debts have been paid off, but I'm pretty sure he'll still end up with plenty to give to his kids.

Why was he that much in debt? He was one of the biggest private spenders in American history. At least that I can think of.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2009, 09:12 PM
And his outfits have always been pretty extravagant and likely pretty expensive too.

Grown men don't wear "outfits".

Well, most grown men don't wear "outfits".

Gunakor
06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
And his outfits have always been pretty extravagant and likely pretty expensive too.

Grown men don't wear "outfits".

Well, most grown men don't wear "outfits".

Oh, but he did. What else could you call it?

Brando19
06-29-2009, 09:17 PM

Here's how:

http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/29/michael-jacksons-last-art-purchase/

Scott Campbell
06-29-2009, 09:29 PM
What else could you call it?

Halloween costumes?

Gunakor
06-29-2009, 09:46 PM
What else could you call it?

Halloween costumes?

Even in June?