PDA

View Full Version : Rule change #2, hitting receivers up to 10 yards.

Creepy
07-19-2006, 05:42 PM
The last few years teams have been using scat backs (tiny receivers) to run crossing patterns from 6-9 yards deep so that they are covered by slow moving LBsd and safeties. It is nice the little guy gets a free walk throughthis area, but it is time for the NFL to make it alittle more difficult. Let players bump until 10 yards down field, WR running crossing patterns will get clobbered by LBs & Safeties so it wioll be a little more work than just being fast. Manning would have to make an adjustment as his timing patterns would be destroyed. WR would actually have to fight to get open. No position in the NFL allows somebody to run free without getting hit except for wr. The big receivers would also have to work harder to get open. This will finally give the DL a chance to mount a real pass rush, better pass rush, more ints, more sacks. They may knock teh scoring down a little, but it is worth it to stop watching touch football in the middle of the field.

Deputy Nutz
07-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Creepy I agree. You really can't get nothing of a jam with only 5 yards. Recievers cover 5 yards in like .3 seconds. I hate rules that favor the offense verses the defense. I am a grind it out kinda guy. Thats how I like my football.

Tony Oday
07-19-2006, 05:49 PM
yeah but then the lords of the NFL might never see a manning win the SB. That is why they changed it. Bring back the defense!!!!!!!!

Creepy
07-19-2006, 07:38 PM
The rule changed before Manning, the refs craking down it was because they saw a small decline in scoring. NFL thinks if team don't put up big points, nobody will watch.

I think people miss the sack, and the ints. QB ratings and stats have been inflated since the 5 yard rule and throw away rule. If Reggie was a rookie today, he couldn't get the sacks he had in the 80s & 90s. Not every rule change has been for the better in the NFL. Now is the time for them to reverse or modify some rules.

Tony Oday
07-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Creepy the decided to really enforce the rules after the Patriots crushed the WR of the colts and Payton whinned like a little woman.

Iron Mike
07-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Creepy the decided to really enforce the rules after the Patriots crushed the WR of the colts and Payton whinned like a little woman.

When HASN'T Peyton whined like a little woman???? :roll:

KYPack
07-21-2006, 09:13 AM
It would be an interesting change.

It would help you with the little guys, maybe.

It would really help DB's that don't play press cover. Most guys in press deliver a blow, then get in the WR's hip and run with him. You can get all that done in 5 yds, easy.

The 5yd rule means if you don't press the guy, you can't touch him. A change would allow guys that play 5 - 7 yd technique a chance to get in a lick. Thbat would be more fair because smart corners like to vary their coverage and this would give 'em that shot.