PDA

View Full Version : Website

Administrator
07-03-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm soliciting ideas and possibly help with the website.

I've been kicking around a few ideas, but am wondering who has some creative ideas.

There is no revenue stream here right now, so I'm not flush with cash to pay for assistance, but if you've got the creative bug, and are interested in helping, I'd like to hear your ideas.

I'd love to fill the front page with stories and opinion articles during the season, but that only is effective if we can actually drive traffic there. Based on the website statistics, most of us bookmark the front page of the forum and don't visit the front page of the website.

Also, graphic design. Curious what ideas are out there. I understand that there was some previous design work that was donated and then retracted over hurt feelings. I'm not interested in a loan of things, but if any of you creative people would like to see your work when you visit here, again, I'd like to talk with you.

I understand we have a great competitive fantasy league and I want that to continue and even expand if we can, and I'd be interested in other ideas along those lines.

Partial
07-04-2009, 04:02 AM
Drupal or Wordpress main site, stick with phpBB or go with Vanilla if they have both a multiquote and a ignore list extension. :D

Partial
07-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Anyone know of a way to extract the content of an initial post, as in, a "quick hitter" if you will, and put that into a blog entry, where the comments and ratings can link back to the forum?

The forum layout is nice and the best way the communicate by far. The best way to make a home page is to have ample user generated content and having these quick hitting "blogs" is a great way to draw traffic.

Think of Digg, with a headline (which would be the title of the thread), it's summary(which would the content of the first post), it's rating, which can be done in the forum or on the homepage, and then of course the comments which trackback to the forum post.

This would be freaking awesome, but I don't know of any OOTB software that does this. Do you? Any drupal or wordpress experts out there?

This site (http://www.durhamdbt.com/blogs/dr-b) has a decent example of what I'm invisioning for a good homepage. Obviously it could look nicer. Then, when the user clicks "read more" or "read comments", they get redirected to the forum post.

Partial
07-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Oh, btw, anyone do graphics? This forum needs a makeover. I know mexicans like flamboyant crap, but people browsing the internet do not. This site could easily go to the next level with a makeover.

Partial
07-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Okay, phpBB 3 has "friend or foes" built in, which has a nice summary of it here.

http://rypn.sunserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26607

Basically it's an ignore list for foes, and an easy way to view friends posts quickly.

Partial
07-07-2009, 12:03 AM
This appears to be a user rating type system, like a reputation system if you will.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=559069&start=1245

Partial
07-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Here is a good example of thread rating:

http://prs.kruijff.org/demo/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=432421849cbb38edc73343a052a738f6

This is also phpbb 3

Partial
07-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Here is a good example of how nice this forum could look.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1680615

Note the nice rounded corners on the responses, the extremely clean fonts, the quote boxs are different colored when there are multiple quotes, etc.

Lots of potential there.

Partial
07-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Here is a feature comparison between phpBB 2 and phpBB 3.

http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

The biggest features imo are "Friends and Foes" lists, and the ability to quote multiple people/posts, as well as the nicer themes and infinitely more readable fonts.

Admin, are you using MySql or Postgres?

SkinBasket
07-07-2009, 08:36 AM

Note the nice rounded corners on the responses, the extremely clean fonts, the quote boxs are different colored when there are multiple quotes, etc.

Lots of potential there.

If this forum ever looks like the one in the link, I'll puke. It's ugly and hard to follow WTF is even happening. I'm sure part of it is just that 14 year old I love unicorns pastel color scheme, but the lack of division between all that text makes it look like someone ate alphabet soup and puked on my computer.

Partial
07-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Lots of potential there.

If this forum ever looks like the one in the link, I'll puke. It's ugly and hard to follow WTF is even happening. I'm sure part of it is just that 14 year old I love unicorns pastel color scheme, but the lack of division between all that text makes it look like someone ate alphabet soup and puked on my computer.

I'm not crazy about the color scheme myself. It's a POC of what a good forum should look like. The fonts are infinitely more readable and the differentiating between the quote boxes, something this forum lacks.

Division between all the text? There is a much grander division of text dude. I would personally alternate the background color of the responses, which they don't do, but that really isn't the point of said link.

SkinBasket
07-07-2009, 10:22 AM
There's no division between the header of each post and the content and only a partial division between the "avatar box" and the content. Makes the post look like a blob with text just laying around inside it, in my esteemed opinion. I understand your point on the multi-colored quote boxes, but that could get ugly quick no matter what color scheme you use. Guess I just prefer our clean two color scheme here. I want to read posts, not be blasted in the face with 5 or 6 colors in each thread. As far as the text goes, I guess I don't see an advantage other than personal preference, since honestly I like our font better. Good old fashioned letters. Not those pansy rounded letters with questionable moral fiber.

ThunderDan
07-07-2009, 03:01 PM

I've been kicking around a few ideas, but am wondering who has some creative ideas.

There is no revenue stream here right now, so I'm not flush with cash to pay for assistance, but if you've got the creative bug, and are interested in helping, I'd like to hear your ideas.

I'd love to fill the front page with stories and opinion articles during the season, but that only is effective if we can actually drive traffic there. Based on the website statistics, most of us bookmark the front page of the forum and don't visit the front page of the website.

Also, graphic design. Curious what ideas are out there. I understand that there was some previous design work that was donated and then retracted over hurt feelings. I'm not interested in a loan of things, but if any of you creative people would like to see your work when you visit here, again, I'd like to talk with you.

I understand we have a great competitive fantasy league and I want that to continue and even expand if we can, and I'd be interested in other ideas along those lines.

I wrote the Studs and Duds weekly column and would continue this year if wanted.

Bretsky
07-07-2009, 07:36 PM

I wrote the Studs and Duds weekly column and would continue this year if wanted.

You did a good job Dan; I wrote the winners and losers for about a year. For a while it was fun but then later it became too time consuming

I might ponder writing some thematic fantasy football colums. Maybe a pickups, drops, players to consider.......etc. Or maybe a start em sit em....etc....Not sure though.

MJZiggy
07-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Sure. NOW you're willing to write!! :lol:

Bretsky
07-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Sure. NOW you're willing to write!! :lol:

I so had writers block last year ! Somewhere I lost the fun in that column and the quality probably showed at the end.

Partial
07-07-2009, 08:13 PM
You're never going to get a steady stream of homepage content unless you make homepage content out of good posts in the forum or you pay someone to write it. Undeniable fact imo.

MJZiggy
07-07-2009, 08:20 PM
BS. We had a fine stream of content for a while in 07-08. Regular writers, game summaries, etc.

Partial
07-07-2009, 08:27 PM
BS. We had a fine stream of content for a while in 07-08. Regular writers, game summaries, etc.

I think we have a different definition of regular content :D I'm talking about daily articles, etc.

retailguy
07-07-2009, 10:03 PM

I think we have a different definition of regular content :D I'm talking about daily articles, etc.

That takes a really big network of people. You'd need at least 20 writers to keep daily content out there. That's a lot of people with a big ongoing commitment.

A couple of new articles a week would be fantastic. With the quality of what we had last season, I think they'd get some visibility.

Anyone know how to get good search engine rankings? Does that digg thing really work?

Partial
07-07-2009, 10:06 PM
A lot of things effect Search engine optimization. Digg is not really one of them, but an excellent way to get traffic to your site. If 15 people here would get digg accounts and we could synchornize a digg, we'd get it on the home page and it'd 100k+ hits very quickly.

I agree on the notion of needing a massive writing staff. That's why we need to focus as a group on improving the quality of the initial post on a topic, and posting a quick hitter of that topic on the homepage.

I'm not confident the Admin likes my ideas, but if he was smart he would trust me because I know a thing or two about designing and activating web sites :D

pasquale
07-07-2009, 11:55 PM
A lot of things effect Search engine optimization. Digg is not really one of them, but an excellent way to get traffic to your site. If 15 people here would get digg accounts and we could synchornize a digg, we'd get it on the home page and it'd 100k+ hits very quickly.

I agree on the notion of needing a massive writing staff. That's why we need to focus as a group on improving the quality of the initial post on a topic, and posting a quick hitter of that topic on the homepage.

I'm not confident the Admin likes my ideas, but if he was smart he would trust me because I know a thing or two about designing and activating web sites :D

any examples?

Partial
07-08-2009, 05:08 AM

any examples?

What are you curious about? This site would be better optimized if a web crawler could hit all of the pages from an unregistered state but thats not the case and wouldn't have much effect anyway since the topics outside of that are pretty random and rare.

Another would be appending the name of each sub-forum to the URL. Anything to make it more human readable is going to help.

I would have to do more research for phpbb to be honest.

Jivesoftware, which we use at work, is an example of a forum with really good SEO foresight built in. Really good naming conventions, by default the whole thing is traceable, etc.

http://www.jivesoftware.com/clearstep/docs/DOC-1063

SkinBasket
07-08-2009, 07:20 AM

any examples?

What are you curious about? This site would be better optimized if a web crawler could hit all of the pages from an unregistered state but thats not the case and wouldn't have much effect anyway since the topics outside of that are pretty random and rare.

Another would be appending the name of each sub-forum to the URL. Anything to make it more human readable is going to help.

Jivesoftware, which we use at work, is an example of a forum with really good SEO foresight built in. Really good naming conventions, by default the whole thing is traceable, etc.

You designed that page? No offense Partial, but it's not very impressive.

sheepshead
07-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Ratings for sure. It would eliminate a lot of bickering and perhaps lead to a more informative forum.

also, get rid of a few more idiots.

Partial
07-08-2009, 12:16 PM

any examples?

You designed that page? No offense Partial, but it's not very impressive.

No I didn't make that page. We have a Jive software community at work, so I'm familiar with it. They have their SEO down pat imo.

pasquale
07-08-2009, 12:34 PM

any examples?

I was just curious if you have any sites that we could see that you have designed and if they are similar to what you are talking about.

Partial
07-08-2009, 12:36 PM

any examples?

I was just curious if you have any sites that we could see that you have designed and if they are similar to what you are talking about.

Sites I have designed? No, I'm not a designer. I'm more of an architect. Sites I have built from scratch? Why would anyone do that when there is plenty of good enough open source software to get the job done.

I'll send you the social media site I'm currently working on over IM as I don't wish everyone to know who my current client is. I will forewarn you it's an ambitious project that is still very premature, but we're beginning the activation process and so far people really like the idea behind the site.

pasquale
07-08-2009, 01:46 PM

sigh :doh:

Partial
07-08-2009, 04:05 PM
removed post by partial

Administrator
07-08-2009, 04:18 PM

sigh? Excuse me? What do you do that makes you qualified to make any statements. :oops: I won't say any further as I'm not going to violate TOS.He only asked if you had any examples. A simple question to which you could not provide an answer for.

The site will not need your help or your ideas Partial. Thank you for your time.

pasquale
07-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Violate away, I can take whatever you have to say. You said previously that you have experience designing websites, then you said you weren't a designer...so excuse me for asking questions. I wanted to see what you had designed and if it was similar to what you are explaining here.

As for my qualifications, I don't have much experience in web design, I can't stand it, it's not my thing, but it's not rocket science. But I did not know that it limited me in asking you what you have designed. This is a thread about web ideas, lets see some in action.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Ratings for sure. It would eliminate a lot of bickering and perhaps lead to a more informative forum.

also, get rid of a few more idiots.

Irony alert.

mraynrand
07-08-2009, 05:39 PM

sigh? Excuse me? What do you do that makes you qualified to make any statements. :oops: I won't say any further as I'm not going to violate TOS.He only asked if you had any examples. A simple question to which you could not provide an answer for.

The site will not need your help or your ideas Partial. Thank you for your time.

lame and unnecessary. At least Partial made positive suggestions.

Partial
07-08-2009, 05:52 PM

First of all, way to post a deleted comment.

Second of all, this kid is clearly calling me out as I know him personally. Perhaps I misinterpreted him, but he was unclear imo, thus deleting my post.

As for not needing my help, well, okay. I guess if you're content having an average at best site thats fine, but it wouldn't be my preference... I guess if I bought a potential business from someone, I'd want it to make money for me... but thats just me :D

retailguy
07-08-2009, 06:01 PM
As for not needing my help, well, okay. I guess if you're content having an average at best site thats fine, but it wouldn't be my preference... I guess if I bought a potential business from someone, I'd want it to make money for me... but thats just me :D

C'mon man. Why you gotta do this? You get into a fight with someone in the admin's "ask for help" thread, then you tell him he can't build a site when you haven't seen anything yet? How do you know what he can/can't do?

Assuming that anything put together by someone other than yourself is "sub par" is pretty ridiculous. I like you Partial, and I know you, but that would still piss me off if you said it to me.

I think the Admin wanted constructive suggestions and volunteers. Pretty sure that he wasn't looking for someone to take over design and management of the site.

I'll help in any way I can. When I see something specific I can volunteer for, I'll be all over it.

Partial
07-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm pissed at the guy for posting a deleted comment. That is bush league at best.

I told him how to make his investment successful. If he doesn't want to take my advice, well, I wish him the best of luck but don't see it turning out well.

MJZiggy
07-08-2009, 06:06 PM
P, you know as well as anyone that if someone quotes you, before you edit, the original unedited post will be quoted.

retailguy
07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm pissed at the guy for posting a deleted comment. That is bush league at best.

I told him how to make his investment successful. If he doesn't want to take my advice, well, I wish him the best of luck but don't see it turning out well.

Well, everyone makes a mistake once in a while. He wouldn't go to the effort of removing your comment and then purposely posting it in his rebuttal. That doesn't make any sense.

You gave some suggestions, and some good ones, I think. But, 1st, your method of delivery kinda sucked, (I don't want to jump on your team right now), and you don't have the full "plan" that the admin has in his head either.

Maybe your suggestions will work with that plan, maybe they won't.... Guess we'll never find out now.

Partial
07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
P, you know as well as anyone that if someone quotes you, before you edit, the original unedited post will be quoted.

Except he didn't, that is the point. I verified this. I edited it immediately. He decided it was okay to take content someone thought better of.

Pasquale and I have made up over IM. It's cool. The Admin is a first rate douche though. Who does that?

Tyrone Bigguns
07-08-2009, 06:17 PM

because I know a thing or two about designing and activating web sites

We all are awaiting some of your designs.

retailguy
07-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Except he didn't, that is the point. I verified this. I edited it immediately. He decided it was okay to take content someone thought better of.

Pasquale and I have made up over IM. It's cool. The Admin is a first rate douche though. Who does that?

What? If you deleted it immediately, where did he get it from? I thought he edited your comment.

The only way (that I know of) he could have posted your comment is to have had it open in his browser, BEFORE you edited it. When it's gone, it's gone. We were both mods at one time, you should know this.

You should probably calm down a bit before you keep posting. You're not thinking too well right now.

Partial
07-08-2009, 06:26 PM
No, I deleted it within a minute or so. Note the lack of "edited by Partial at x oclock" that shows up if you modify a post after someone posts after you. It's gone because I edited it right away.

I'm not sure exactly how he did it either, but I don't appreciate it and think it's completely out of line and unprofessional.

Truly ridiculous. Madtown would do a lot of things, but he wouldn't resort to bush league play like that. I don't think I've ever been more dissapointed in an administrator.

Partial
07-08-2009, 06:27 PM

Not going to post my clients sites here. Already set that.

retailguy
07-08-2009, 06:30 PM
No, I deleted it within a minute or so. Note the lack of "edited by Partial at x oclock" that shows up if you modify a post after someone posts after you. It's gone because I edited it right away.

I'm not sure exactly how he did it either, but I don't appreciate it and think it's completely out of line and unprofessional.

Truly ridiculous. Madtown would do a lot of things, but he wouldn't resort to bush league play like that. I don't think I've ever been more dissapointed in an administrator.

Well Partial, I'm clearly not very "web savvy", but I spent a significant amount of time trying to understand how this software worked so I could be somewhat effective as a moderator. I'm only aware of what I said, you have to have the comment open in a browser window before your edits are made. There is no "secret" storage place where he could have recycled your comment from, and honestly, no reason to do that anyhow.

I sincerely believe that you're jumping to conclusions here, and your criticism is really off base.

pasquale
07-08-2009, 06:31 PM

CSI

It couldn't have been that short since I did see the original post actually and then I posted on it, and the gap is like ~20 mins.

/CSI

MJZiggy
07-08-2009, 06:38 PM
If someone quotes your post and you edit it while the other person is writing a response, what happens if you post the edit before the other person posts the response to the op?

Patler
07-08-2009, 06:57 PM
If someone quotes your post and you edit it while the other person is writing a response, what happens if you post the edit before the other person posts the response to the op?

Shall we run an experiment and see?
I suspect what will happen is exactly what we saw, the edited post does not show the "edited" comment, and the subsequent post quotes the original, unedited message.

Zool
07-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Do we really need to bother with this? This shit is just tired.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-08-2009, 07:11 PM

So, then you are making more baseless and unsubstantiated statements.

Ty is shocked. :roll:

Partial
07-08-2009, 07:21 PM

How, exactly? I provided links showign an implementation of each of my ideas. Doh! :roll: :wink: :oops:

Tyrone Bigguns
07-08-2009, 07:29 PM

How, exactly? I provided links showign an implementation of each of my ideas. Doh! :roll: :wink: :oops:

Links? Please show them?

Sites I have designed? No, I'm not a designer.

The community awaits your designs.

Partial
07-08-2009, 07:34 PM

Links? Please show them?

Use your browser. Go to page 1. Use your eyes. Read. Use your hands. Click Link. Use your eyes. Read. Don't be so lazy.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-08-2009, 07:39 PM

Links? Please show them?

Use your browser. Go to page 1. Use your eyes. Read. Use your hands. Click Link. Use your eyes. Read. Don't be so lazy.

Page 1? Hmm, plenty of links..but, not one that you claim you designed or were an architect.

We are all awaiting examples of your design.

Partial
07-08-2009, 07:41 PM
And I already told you I'm not about to give away whom my clients are... Why does it matter what I've done. I've given examples of what would work well and be successful. Not examples of what I've done. I've never worked on a landing page like the one I describe, but it can be done with Drupal OOTB for free within a few hours to have a functioning prototype.

CaptainD
07-08-2009, 07:48 PM
And I already told you I'm not about to give away whom my clients are... Why does it matter what I've done. I've given examples of what would work well and be successful. Not examples of what I've done. I've never worked on a landing page like the one I describe, but it can be done with Drupal OOTB for free within a few hours to have a functioning prototype.

Better off with a wordpress front page IMHO. Several examples on the net of packer sites using those.
http://packerslounge.com/

and http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/

Just my two cents worth !

MJZiggy
07-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Can you embed a wordpress blog within another webpage? I'm trying to figure out all this new media and I don't even know how to start a blog for cripes sakes!

Tyrone Bigguns
07-08-2009, 07:53 PM

Because you said you know a thing or 2 about design. Without examples, you are just all talk...which is par for the course.

You are a programmer....stop pretending you know design.

Partial
07-08-2009, 08:05 PM

Better off with a wordpress front page IMHO. Several examples on the net of packer sites using those.
http://packerslounge.com/

and http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/

Just my two cents worth !

I can definitely jive with that. Either way works really. Wordpress is quick and simple. I'm looking at making an FML rip-off site using WP. While I'm typically anti-flash, that flash tag cloud is pretty nice looking on the packerlounge site.

The one thing that I'd be adament about if it was my site was bringing the comments/ratings back into a forum setting as I think the flat layout is infinitely better for the type of discussion that goes on here.

Great post man!

Partial
07-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Can you embed a wordpress blog within another webpage? I'm trying to figure out all this new media and I don't even know how to start a blog for cripes sakes!

In what sense? You can nest any webpage within another web page using something called an iframe. Wordpress is php blog software/framework.

You can probably go to wordpress.com and get a free blog. It'll have a nice interface to do basic customizations I'm sure.

Administrator
07-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok. Well, here we go again. At least it's "behind closed doors". That's progress I guess.

Partial - I quoted and posted. You deleted in the middle of it. If you'd have PM'ed me, I'd have fixed it. Probably even apologized too. But you didn't. You just publicly criticized me.

mraynrand - I'm tired of breaking up stupid fights. I probably should have held my tongue. It wasn't intended the way you took it, but, in retrospect it could have sounded that way. I really wanted to say "thanks, but no thanks".

Tyrone - I don't send PM's when I delete posts or signatures. Common sense ought to tell you that both of your signatures are/were inappropriate. We're not going to mock other posters with signatures. If you persist, you can mock me elsewhere.

To those of you that offered assistance both privately and publicly, thank you. I will be in touch with you. I have a plan on how I want to proceed, but I really wanted to solicit opinions. Sometimes you get an idea you hadn't pondered. But, today, almost any thread is subject to "threadjacking". Kind of sad, but a good advertisement for what this place turns into.

Partial, you earned yourself a break until August 1st. There won't be a 3rd chance.

Tyrone, you're one step from a two week break. I'm really tired of the "little battle" you and Partial have going. Keep it in the garbage can. If it "escapes" again, it will be the last time.

Thread closed, yet again.