PDA

View Full Version : Happy 4th of July!

Brando19
07-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Happy Independence Day, everyone! Anybody have any plans? I'm just going to chill at home tonight...we just got back from Pigeon Forge, TN.

Partial
07-04-2009, 10:54 PM
This is my favorite holiday. I had a wonderful time going to the fireworks last night, then the parade, cookout and fireworks today.

SkinBasket
07-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Happy Independence Day, everyone! Anybody have any plans? I'm just going to chill at home tonight...we just got back from Pigeon Forge, TN.

I miss TN. The only place in the US that's felt like home outside of WI.

falco
07-05-2009, 07:27 AM

Sort of funny...I noticed TN/KY is about the only other place in the US where people will hold a door for a stranger.

Brando19
07-05-2009, 09:00 AM

Did you visit or just live there? Ever been to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg?

MJZiggy
07-05-2009, 11:21 AM

Sort of funny...I noticed TN/KY is about the only other place in the US where people will hold a door for a stranger.

Nah, I do it here all the time.

I have had the BEST weekend! Dancing Thursday (80s night), shopping Friday, Fireworks last night, and chilling/homework today.

SkinBasket
07-05-2009, 01:45 PM

I think we've covered this before. I've visited the PF/Gatlinburg area a couple times. Also enjoyed northern SC.

Brando19
07-05-2009, 01:47 PM

I think we've covered this before. I've visited the PF/Gatlinburg area a couple times. Also enjoyed northern SC.

My bad. My memory sucks and I'm too lazy to go back and read previous posts.

falco
07-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey Brando,

I am going on a vacation to the south that will ultimately end in me travelling through the smokey mountains and passing through Pigeon Forge. It is only one day of the journey, but is there anything you recommend doing or seeing while there?

AtlPackFan
07-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey Brando,

I am going on a vacation to the south that will ultimately end in me travelling through the smokey mountains and passing through Pigeon Forge. It is only one day of the journey, but is there anything you recommend doing or seeing while there?

Falco, you coming through Georgia?

Brando19
07-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Hey Brando,

Falco...
There's a good bit to do at the Smokey Mountains. One day, huh? I can suggest a few things. First...the Dixie Stampede is awesome. It's a dinner show and will keep you entertained (the food is delicious.) Dollywood is also a good attraction. Lots of rides and sites there. For dinner, I would suggest eating at the Alamo...excellent steaks. They also offer Helicopter tours of the Smokey Mountains. That's always fun if you're not afraid of heights. Hope this helps some. If you need to know anything else, just ask.

falco
07-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Brando - the dinner show and Dollywood don't really appeal to me (although I did enjoy the medieval dinner show in Orlando a few years ago). Helicopter rides sound interesting, but probably not do-able with our family configuration. I will definitely take a look at the Alamo. Primarily just a sightseeing detour, so is there anything in particular we would need to see? Definitely more interested in natural formations, wildlife, or historical sites.

ATLpackerfan - we will be heading through Georgia. Plan on stopping for a day in ATL and seeing the aquarium.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Brando - the dinner show and Dollywood don't really appeal to me (although I did enjoy the medieval dinner show in Orlando a few years ago).

Medieval Times!

You musta been pretty darn drunk to enjoy that....food was awful.

falco
07-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Brando - the dinner show and Dollywood don't really appeal to me (although I did enjoy the medieval dinner show in Orlando a few years ago).

Medieval Times!

That or I have really horrible taste.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Medieval Times!

Or really enjoy eating with your hands.

Brando19
07-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Medieval Times!

That's what you do at Dixie Stampede...eat with your hands. It's the southern Medieval Times. One side is the North...one is the South and they have little competitions to see who wins.

Brando19
07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Brando - the dinner show and Dollywood don't really appeal to me (although I did enjoy the medieval dinner show in Orlando a few years ago). Helicopter rides sound interesting, but probably not do-able with our family configuration. I will definitely take a look at the Alamo. Primarily just a sightseeing detour, so is there anything in particular we would need to see? Definitely more interested in natural formations, wildlife, or historical sites.

ATLpackerfan - we will be heading through Georgia. Plan on stopping for a day in ATL and seeing the aquarium.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/autotouring.htm

I'd drive through Cades Cove if I were you. Beautiful scenery and you'll see lots of wildlife...if you're lucky like I have been a couple times...you'll see a few black bear. Roaring Fork is excellent as well...especially since you said you'd like to see some historical sites. You have to go to Gatlinburg to get to Roaring Fork...which is about 10 minutes from Pigeon Forge.

falco
07-07-2009, 07:01 PM
I'd drive through Cades Cove if I were you. Beautiful scenery and you'll see lots of wildlife...if you're lucky like I have been a couple times...you'll see a few black bear. Roaring Fork is excellent as well...especially since you said you'd like to see some historical sites. You have to go to Gatlinburg to get to Roaring Fork...which is about 10 minutes from Pigeon Forge.

Thanks - exactly what I was looking for.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-07-2009, 07:05 PM

Medieval Times!

That's what you do at Dixie Stampede...eat with your hands. It's the southern Medieval Times. One side is the North...one is the South and they have little competitions to see who wins.

Kinda stupid..but, i guess if you are a redneck you might enjoy seeing the South win. :lol:

Brando19
07-07-2009, 07:12 PM

Medieval Times!

Kinda stupid..but, i guess if you are a redneck you might enjoy seeing the South win. :lol:

:lol:

Christmas time is the best time to go...they have a live manger scene with camels and other animals.
I went to Cherokee a few minutes from Pigeon Forge one time and met an Indian who had been on Walker Texas Ranger numerous times. I felt like I wasn't worthy being in the presence of someone who has touched the greatness of Chuck Norris. :lol: 8-)

Brando19
07-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks - exactly what I was looking for.

No problem.

AtlPackFan
07-08-2009, 08:30 AM

If you are heading from the Smokies down to Atlanta (or vice versa), you may be taking 85-985-441 up through the mountains to the Smokies. If that is the route, there a couple of things you might want to do along the way. I've included links to both.

There is Tallulah Falls which is a pretty cool photo op. Lots to see and do.
http://www.gastateparks.org/info/tallulah/

Then, if your REALLY hungry, there is the Dillard House just south of the Tennessee/Georgia border. $18 for lunch, all you can eat and I mean ALL YOU CAN EAT. Fried and grilled chicken, Ham, Country Fried Steak, Fish, Hush Puppies, Biscuits, Corn on the cob and a whole ton of sides. As long as you keep eating, they keep bringing and they let you take home whatever is left on the table when you quit. Excellent food.
http://www.dillardhouse.com/

Have a great time on the trip.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Then, if your REALLY hungry, there is the Dillard House just south of the Tennessee/Georgia border. $18 for lunch, all you can eat and I mean ALL YOU CAN EAT. Fried and grilled chicken, Ham, Country Fried Steak, Fish, Hush Puppies, Biscuits, Corn on the cob and a whole ton of sides. As long as you keep eating, they keep bringing and they let you take home whatever is left on the table when you quit. Excellent food.

What? No brunswick stew. Place is a joke.

SkinBasket
07-08-2009, 05:21 PM

I could have really used that info last year.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-08-2009, 07:33 PM

I could have really used that info last year.

A crying shame..a record poop ready to happen.

Freak Out
07-08-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm glad you guys are talking about the time you've spent in Pigeon Forge again. It reaffirms my belief that this forum is good after all. :hug: