PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NFL Offseason: Green Bay Packers

woodbuck27
07-11-2009, 06:38 PM
http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2009gb.php

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
07-11-2009, 09:39 PM
This isn't the Bible. Rather meant as a means of comparison and for discussion. woodbuck27

2009 Green Bay Packers Positional Rankings (1-5 stars):

Quarterbacks 4* Offensive Line 2* Secondary 3*
Running Backs 3* Defensive Line 2* Special Teams 4*
Receivers 4* Linebackers 4* Coaching 3*

Analysis indicates a major concern on our OL and DL. We also might be concerned for our running game and secondary?

2009 Chicago Bears Positional Rankings (1-5 stars):

Quarterbacks 4* Offensive Line 4* Secondary 3*
Running Backs 4* Defensive Line 2* Special Teams 4*
Receivers 3* Linebackers 4* Coaching 4*

Analysis indicates a major concern on the Bears DL. Some concerns with the Bear secondary and WR's.

2009 Minnesota Vikings Positional Rankings (1-5 stars):

Quarterbacks 2* Offensive Line 4* Secondary 2*
Running Backs 5* Defensive Line 5* Special Teams 3*
Receivers 3* Linebackers 4* Coaching 1*

Severe question marks at QB, the secondary and with Viking coaching. Some concerns at WR and with ST's.

2009 Detroit Lions Positional Rankings (1-5 stars):

Quarterbacks 2* Offensive Line 1* Secondary 3*
Running Backs 3* Defensive Line 2* Special Teams 3*
Receivers 4* Linebackers 3* Coaching 2*

After Calvin Johnson this is a team with a ton of questions almost all over. Despite that they did show a competitive spirit last season and will win some games in 2009. Their management has been very busy in this off season.

GO PACKERS!

pbmax
07-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't know how the Bear's offensive line can get four stars and the Packers 2. The Packer O line struggles are being oversold. There is cause for concern, but not at the current level. Clifton has been coming off a knee surgery into camp for the past 5 seasons, if not more.

And his depth chart info is a bit dated. Matthews isn't starting yet and neither is Raji.

DonHutson
07-12-2009, 09:05 AM
So how many Pro Bowlers do you need in your secondary to be better than average?

MJZiggy
07-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't know how the Bear's offensive line can get four stars and the Packers 2. The Packer O line struggles are being oversold. There is cause for concern, but not at the current level. Clifton has been coming off a knee surgery into camp for the past 5 seasons, if not more.

And his depth chart info is a bit dated. Matthews isn't starting yet and neither is Raji.

Let 'em oversell the o-line woes. Then perhaps teams will get lazy in their preparations.

Spaulding
07-12-2009, 11:05 AM

That's pretty off IMO but the bigger joke is the Bears WR's being ranked a 3 when the Packers are rated a 4. Big difference there between our #1 (Jennings) and their #1 (Hester) as well as down the line through #5 (Martin) which might very well be their #2 or at worst #3.

]{ilr]3
07-12-2009, 11:15 AM

That's pretty off IMO but the bigger joke is the Bears WR's being ranked a 3 when the Packers are rated a 4. Big difference there between our #1 (Jennings) and their #1 (Hester) as well as down the line through #5 (Martin) which might very well be their #2 or at worst #3.

I assume they are tossing the TE's Clark and Olson into the mix as well. But even so, if they are 3 stars we should be 5 stars!

bobblehead
07-12-2009, 11:33 AM
So how many Pro Bowlers do you need in your secondary to be better than average?

Apparently more than 50% must be considered premier players to be better than average...then add in that our nickel could start for most teams...

cpk1994
07-12-2009, 11:38 AM
My one major quibble is the fact that they harp on 0-7 in games decided by 4 pts and say that Rodgers needs to be more clutch, but don't bother to mention the fact that 2 of those games would have been won if Crosby makes FG, and a couple others of those he gave the team the lead only to see the defense blow it. You want to say Rodgers needs to be more clutch fine, but it is disingenous to not mention all the reasons for that 0-7 mark.

Packnut
07-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Which is why articles like this, written without any real research, are nothing more than fluff stuff designed just to fill space.

Packers4Ever
07-12-2009, 05:32 PM
My one major quibble is the fact that they harp on 0-7 in games decided by 4 pts and say that Rodgers needs to be more clutch, but don't bother to mention the fact that 2 of those games would have been won if Crosby makes FG, and a couple others of those he gave the team the lead only to see the defense blow it. You want to say Rodgers needs to be more clutch fine, but it is disingenous to not mention all the reasons for that 0-7 mark.

You are correct, CPK, this has become common
in many NFL sports' columns, makes you wonder if the
writer is just "padding" for his column? Easier to toss
the blame off onto other units. Who's going to argue it?

pbmax
07-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Of course this is offseason fluff. Everyone of any talent enough to be paid to write is on vacation. I am just warming up to be outraged when the Packers get slighted in the regular season. Personally, I look forward to the inevitable "Worst 10-0 Team In History" article. :D

SkinBasket
07-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Donald Driver eclipsed the 1,000-yard receiving barrier for the fifth-consecutive season, notching 74 receptions for 1,012 yards and five scores. Unfortunately, Driver turned 34 this offseason, so those days could be over.

Looks like 34 is the new dead. Driver is obviously getting older and less productive, but choosing age 34 as a sign that his productive days are over seems a little silly. I think his slowing down has more to do with the multiple hits it's taken to take him down over the years than his age, but that's just my stupid, non published opinion.

Fritz
07-13-2009, 09:56 AM
That does seem like a pulling-a-number-out-of-your-butt move. It'd be cool if he'd have chosen, like, age 34 and a half as his magic number.

pbmax
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Donald Driver eclipsed the 1,000-yard receiving barrier for the fifth-consecutive season, notching 74 receptions for 1,012 yards and five scores. Unfortunately, Driver turned 34 this offseason, so those days could be over.

Looks like 34 is the new dead. Driver is obviously getting older and less productive, but choosing age 34 as a sign that his productive days are over seems a little silly. I think his slowing down has more to do with the multiple hits it's taken to take him down over the years than his age, but that's just my stupid, non published opinion.
Yes, you see it at 34 all the time. Why Al Harris just turned 33 last year and his spleen fell out of his bellybutton.

MadScientist
07-13-2009, 10:10 AM
My one major quibble is the fact that they harp on 0-7 in games decided by 4 pts and say that Rodgers needs to be more clutch, but don't bother to mention the fact that 2 of those games would have been won if Crosby makes FG, and a couple others of those he gave the team the lead only to see the defense blow it. You want to say Rodgers needs to be more clutch fine, but it is disingenuous to not mention all the reasons for that 0-7 mark.

You are correct, CPK, this has become common
in many NFL sports' columns, makes you wonder if the
writer is just "padding" for his column? Easier to toss
the blame off onto other units. Who's going to argue it?
Unfortunately whatever the technical reason, there is a psychological aspect to this. If AR pulls a few miracle comebacks out, the rest of the team will believe or even expect it will happen the next time the situation occurs. That belief may become self fulfilling.

sharpe1027
07-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Bear's offensive line a 4 and ours a 2? Wow. Bear's offensive line better than our secondary? Wow.

The Shadow
07-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Bear's offensive line a 4 and ours a 2? Wow. Bear's offensive line better than our secondary? Wow.

The Bears are going to have big-time troubles with that offensive line if they go into the season with the indicated group.

cheesner
07-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Some notes:

The only "1"s - Vikings coaching and Lions OL. Seems fair.

Packers 4 on Special Teams? I thought we were below average overall.

Not sure who (other than the Cardinals) has better WRs, as a whole, than us.

Personally, I would go with:

Quarterbacks 4* Offensive Line 3* Secondary 4*
Running Backs 3* Defensive Line 3* Special Teams 2*
Receivers 5* Linebackers 4* Coaching 3*

This is reasonable, but the homer in me believes the QBs, RBs, DL, and ST could all go up a star this season.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Some notes:

The only "1"s - Vikings coaching and Lions OL. Seems fair.

Packers 4 on Special Teams? I thought we were below average overall.

Not sure who (other than the Cardinals) has better WRs, as a whole, than us.

Personally, I would go with:

Quarterbacks 4* Offensive Line 3* Secondary 4*
Running Backs 3* Defensive Line 3* Special Teams 2*
Receivers 5* Linebackers 4* Coaching 3*

This is reasonable, but the homer in me believes the QBs, RBs, DL, and ST could all go up a star this season.

Cheese,

don't be a homer..all of these are better: broncos (marshall, stokely, royal, lloyd, gafney, chad jackson, graham scheffler), pats (moss, welker, galloway, greg lewis, watson), bills (to, evans, reed, parrish, ), Saints (colston, shockey, moore, henderson, arrington, meachem, miller), Chargers (chambers, jackson, floyd, davis, gates, manu...fuckit..can't spell that shit), Texans (johnson, walter, davis, jones, daniels).

About the same: Eagles (jakson, curtis, maclin, brown, avant, baskett), Falcons (white, jenkins, finneran, gonzalez, douglas), bengals (ocho, coles, henry, caldwell, chatman, kelley/utecht/coffman), steelers.