PDA

View Full Version : Pesto time

packinpatland
07-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm making fresh pesto tonight. I've been looking everywhere and can't find a recipe that let's you 'can' it. Lots of recipes say it'll keep in the frig for two weeks, or they say you can freeze it. I'd really like to can it tho.........anyone know how?

hoosier
07-13-2009, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't recommend it. Assuming you're using standard ingredients (olive oil, basil, pine nuts) it has too high an oil content and not high enough acidity. I doubt it would keep well and it might become breeding grounds for nasty stuff like botulism.

packinpatland
07-13-2009, 05:20 PM
How does Classico do it? There has to be a way..........

.......or should I give it as gifts to my really not very good friends.......

Freak Out
07-13-2009, 05:31 PM
You can can it just like anything else that can be canned. The process will change it but I'm sure there are ways to do it successfully.

packinpatland
07-13-2009, 05:39 PM
You can can it just like anything else that can be canned. The process will change it but I'm sure there are ways to do it successfully.

OK.......I'll try it. Will you test it?

Freak Out
07-13-2009, 05:40 PM

OK.......I'll try it. Will you test it?

Absolutely.....my nose will keep me safe. :)

packinpatland
07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
We are talking pesto right?..... :lol:

Freak Out
07-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Well....

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html

How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs, usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.

Lots of info..

http://www.google.com/search?q=preserving++pesto&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

packinpatland
07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Well....

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html

How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs, usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.

Lots of info..

http://www.google.com/search?q=preserving++pesto&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Damn.,..............

GrnBay007
07-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah, darn. I love pesto.

hoosier
07-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Sure, doubt my word.... :P

packinpatland
07-13-2009, 07:21 PM

My middle name is Thomas.

Freak Out
07-13-2009, 07:27 PM

No offense Hoosier.....you were obviously correct about the low acid properties of the pesto and the chance of contamination.....but dammit we like our pesto and if Trader Joes can do it so can we! :)

packinpatland
07-13-2009, 07:37 PM

No offense Hoosier.....you were obviously correct about the low acid properties of the pesto and the chance of contamination.....but dammit we like our pesto and if Trader Joes can do it so can we! :)

:bclap:

retailguy
07-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Did you ever think about buying a jar, seeing what is in it, and then trying to determine "how" they did it? :P

hoosier
07-13-2009, 07:43 PM

Maybe if you added lemon that would get the ph right. I still think the high oil content might ruin it, but at least you won't end up in the emergency room. That's what we're all trying to avoid here. :lol:

packinpatland
07-13-2009, 07:45 PM
I've got a perfect recipe.......it's the processing I don't know about........or as Hoosier has implied.....I may 'do in' my family.

But then.......I found a site that sells jars for pesto and they say (without the how-to's).,................I'm not giving up .......

Homemade pesto is one delicious food that you want to be able to enjoy long past summertime! For freshness and packaging quality these glass hex jars can be filled and topped with a cap and then boiled to specified temperatures creating an airtight seal for freshness. Try canning your pesto sauce in our clear glass hex jars with green metal lug caps for a great sauce that can be canned and used in later months, or given as tasty gifts!

packinpatland
07-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Maybe if you added lemon that would get the ph right. I still think the high oil content might ruin it, but at least you won't end up in the emergency room. That's what we're all trying to avoid here. :lol:

Explain to me how is that olive oil lasts forever.......they've even found bottles at the bottom of the Med. sea that still had oil in them.........

retailguy
07-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Explain to me how is that olive oil lasts forever.......they've even found bottles at the bottom of the Med. sea that still had oil in them.........

there isn't much air at the bottom of the mediteranean. :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
07-13-2009, 08:29 PM

I don't think they have found olive oil..they have found the remains of it in amphoras....and, usually they have found herbs in the testing.

Anti oxidants help with preservation.

hoosier
07-13-2009, 08:59 PM
I've got a perfect recipe.......it's the processing I don't know about........or as Hoosier has implied.....I may 'do in' my family.

But then.......I found a site that sells jars for pesto and they say (without the how-to's).,................I'm not giving up .......

Homemade pesto is one delicious food that you want to be able to enjoy long past summertime! For freshness and packaging quality these glass hex jars can be filled and topped with a cap and then boiled to specified temperatures creating an airtight seal for freshness. Try canning your pesto sauce in our clear glass hex jars with green metal lug caps for a great sauce that can be canned and used in later months, or given as tasty gifts!

Yikes. I just hope none of my friends decide to try out their canned pesto on my family. :shock:

On second thought, doesn't UConn have a food sciences department? If so, maybe someone there can help walk you through what you would need to make canned pesto that's fit for human consumption. I wouldn't trust just any old online source that says it can be done, but if an expert can help you determine the ph level you would need to discourage bacteria growth...

Then again, why are stubbornly refusing to just freeze the stuff?

Little Whiskey
07-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Its said that lake superior is so deep and cold that "she never gives up her dead". bodies don't bloat and float.

at least thast what gordon lightfoot says!!

pasquale
07-13-2009, 09:29 PM
How does Classico do it? There has to be a way........

You dont want to know! haha

I know you stated you don't want to, but just freeze it. Olive oil actually freezes very well and keeps its nutritional value. Herbs also do very well in the freezer, but they will wilt and look gross, but they will still retain their flavor (even more so than drying). I usually freeze it in ice cube trays first. Works very nice.

Olive oil doesn't last forever. Leave it in the sun for a bit, it'll go rancid. I bet the reason it was preserved on the bottom of the sea was because it was cool and dark (and no air!). There's a reason why reputable oil is sold in tins - keeps out light.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-13-2009, 09:58 PM

I know you stated you don't want to, but just freeze it. Olive oil actually freezes very well and keeps its nutritional value. Herbs also do very well in the freezer, but they will wilt and look gross, but they will still retain their flavor (even more so than drying). I usually freeze it in ice cube trays first. Works very nice.

Olive oil doesn't last forever. Leave it in the sun for a bit, it'll go rancid. I bet the reason it was preserved on the bottom of the sea was because it was cool and dark (and no air!). There's a reason why reputable oil is sold in tins - keeps out light.

Again, it wasn't found at the bottom of the sea....they found remnants in the amphoras...but, not like it was there and preserved.

pasquale
07-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Again, it wasn't found at the bottom of the sea....they found remnants in the amphoras...but, not like it was there and preserved.

i must have missed your post somehow...duuur

packinpatland
07-14-2009, 08:21 AM

I'm calling Dr. Ballard this morning. He'll tell me if there was any oil in his amphoras.......... :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
07-14-2009, 04:14 PM

I'm calling Dr. Ballard this morning. He'll tell me if there was any oil in his amphoras.......... :lol:

Dang, why not call you daughter..put that freakin master's to use. :wink:

packinpatland
07-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Actually.............a few summers ago she worked with Ballard editing footage from when he found those oil 'jars' :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
07-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Actually.............a few summers ago she worked with Ballard editing footage from when he found those oil 'jars' :lol:

They werent' just oil.

WASHINGTON - DNA scraped from inside clay vessels show that a ship that sank off the coast of Greece 2,400 years ago was carrying a cargo of olive oil, oregano, and probably wine, researchers reported on Friday.

Also fish sauce and honey.

Dr. Ballard weeps for his student now turned huckster. :wink:

packinpatland
07-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Dr. Ballard weeps for his student now turned huckster. :lol:

His head is too big to notice........
I knew him before he was 'Mr. Titanic'.......used to be a nice guy.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Dr. Ballard weeps for his student now turned huckster. :lol:

His head is too big to notice........
I knew him before he was 'Mr. Titanic'.......used to be a nice guy.

Does he have groupies (implicit question about your daughter ;). Can you get laid like athletes for this type of work? :wink:

packinpatland
07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Have you seen a recent photo of Ballard? :shock:

Tyrone Bigguns
07-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Have you seen a recent photo of Ballard? :shock:

Have you seen some of the muscians and athletes that get hot women? :shock:

MJZiggy
07-14-2009, 09:53 PM
If Keith Richards can get girls...(ewwww!)