PDA

View Full Version : Cautious Optimism

MJZiggy
07-19-2006, 10:07 PM
From JSO-Some of the 20,000 or so loyalists who made it to Lambeau Field bright and early Wednesday morning probably were let down when Ted Thompson didn't even try to counter the negative vibe emanating from the national media for the Green Bay Packers in 2006.

Fighting words often were Ron Wolf's modus operandi during his addresses to the Packers stockholders that seemed to educate and entertain many in his audience. Then again, Wolf always had a football team that was a champion or a contender throughout his 10-year tenure as GM.

Thompson, one of those responsible for the 4-12 collapse last season, did his best to keep the focus on what he views as a bounce-back future but was careful to avoid forecasts for grandeur that could come back to haunt him.

"Just to get it out of the way, last year was a very difficult time for all of us here who work for the Packers and I'm sure it was difficult for you," Thompson said. "It was tough on our coaches, our players and myself.

"But I'm sure we're moving forward now. I'm feeling confident. I think we're headed in the right direction."

New coach Mike McCarthy wasn't at the stadium to meet some of his "bosses" but as the Packers' other main architect, his name was front and center.

"We have the utmost confidence in Mike leading our team forward," said Thompson. "He's one of those people who has the ability to see the big picture and also be able to focus on the details that will enable us to get to the promised land."

Last July, Thompson had to deal with his own nerves and a bad sound system before a turn-away crowd at the Resch Center across the street from Lambeau Field. He appeared much more at ease as he gave his second football report on a beautiful morning. Starting shortly after 9 o'clock, Thompson spoke for about 25 minutes before sitting down to 10 seconds of applause.

"I didn't feel nervous," said Thompson. "There's only so much I'm going to say about the roster. Then I thought the general public needs to understand sometimes why I don't talk about certain things. I tried to let them get to know me a little bit more."

Twice Thompson described his management approach as "steady and even-keel." It's his nature, he said, and thus it's how the Packers will conduct their business.

"We've avoided speaking publicly about any contract discussions we may or may not have with any of our players," he said. "We think it's counter-productive to be involved in any sort of public discourse in that regard. We don't overreact to things like that."

Thompson opened to cheers when he looked out across the stadium and said, "Can you believe how great this place is?" He also referred to Lambeau as "this great cathedral of football."

In closing, Thompson told stockholders: "We're grateful for the history and the expectations of this place. We know how important it is to so many people and how important it is to you people here. Thanks, fans and stockholders, for making Lambeau and Green Bay, Wis., the wonder of all professional sports."

But as impressed as he is with the team's venue and fan base, Thompson referred to the Packers' employees as primarily responsible for what he called a "special" place.

"We choose to focus on football and people," he said. "At the end of the day, it's the people, the players and coaches and staff, they will be the ones who determine how we did on our watch.

"We think you lead by winning the trust and confidence of those people. It's not complicated. It's treating people the right way and having a structure that gives them the freedom to think and form ideas on their own."

As Thompson went through a brief rundown of each position, the names of every player on the roster appeared on the video boards. Thompson was interrupted by applause after mentioning the names of 12 players, with the most sustained cheers going to quarterback Brett Favre and rookie linebacker A.J. Hawk.

Hawk, the fifth pick in the draft, is one of five rookies with a reasonable chance to start this year.

"Me and Mike are not afraid to do that," Thompson said. "I think that's a good thing as long as they earn it. We're not going to stick somebody in there just because they're a rookie, though."

As for the prospect of rookies Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz starting or playing extensively at guard, Thompson said, "I'm not playing quarterback, but I think that's a good thing."

As for the linebacker corps that was reinforced with Hawk and third-round pick Abdul Hodge, Thompson said, "I think it has the potential to be a remarkable group of linebackers. We feel (linebacker) has gone from a position of concern to a position of strength."