PDA

View Full Version : Can Kampman handle the switch to OLB?

packrulz
07-14-2009, 05:59 AM
"All my young men are smart, so they know where they're going to fit in the scheme of things," said Greene, who recorded 160 career sacks with the Rams, Steelers, 49ers and Carolina Panthers during a 15-year career that ended in 1999. "They are all athletic. The thing is increasing your vision. You can't just look at one or two eligible receivers. You got to look at No. 3, where No. 4 is aligned and have an awareness of where the fifth guy is. It sounds pretty complicated, doesn't it? It is." Kevin Greene
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810ff1d4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

pbmax
07-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Normally I would have reservations about a first-time coach at the Pro Level being counted on to make one of the more difficult position transformations for the defense. But Greene's enthusiasm is infectious, even in print. I hope it translates to the field.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Kampman will not be as effective standing up as he is on the line. (I know he will continue to play end a lot in the new scheme.)

sharpe1027
07-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Kampman will not be as effective standing up as he is on the line. (I know he will continue to play end a lot in the new scheme.)

Probably true, but we won't know for sure until we see the product on the field. A good scheme/coach can really help a player's production.

Waldo
07-14-2009, 10:41 AM

Why?

hoosier
07-14-2009, 10:47 AM

Everything I've seen has suggested that Capers's scheme will employ only two down lineman and three or four linebackers on passing downs. Kampman will surely be rushing the passer more than dropping into coverage on passing downs, but for what it's worth it sounds like he'll be doing it "standing up" instead of from 3pt stance.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2009, 10:53 AM

Why?

Because he has made a living out of being far more agile than offensive tackles, yet still strong enough to have a bull rush threat that the OT has to account for. I don't think the chances are good that he will excel in open space where the athleticism bar is so much higher, he is more likely to be like Poppinga. Anything can happen, but the odds are against him.

Waldo
07-14-2009, 12:12 PM

Why?

Because he has made a living out of being far more agile than offensive tackles, yet still strong enough to have a bull rush threat that the OT has to account for. I don't think the chances are good that he will excel in open space where the athleticism bar is so much higher, he is more likely to be like Poppinga. Anything can happen, but the odds are against him.

I really don't get what has changed? He has to drop into coverage 4 times a game. That's the problem?

His wide alignment in Sanders/Bates D was 3-4 OLB-like. His run/pass rush assignments were largely 3-4 OLB assignments in Sanders'/Bates' D. The only difference is stance and the few plays a game he drops.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2009, 12:25 PM
The only difference is stance and the few plays a game he drops.

If by "stance" you mean whether is hand is on the ground, that is a big difference.

I find it hard to beleive that his role will be so little changed, Kampman's cool reception to the change indicates he sees it as a big deal. Are all rush ends natural fits to be a 3-4 linebacker? Would Ezra Johnson been a good 3-4 linebacker? Your statement indicates that the postion is essentially unchanged. I don't know enough to say whether you are right or wrong.

Waldo
07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
The only difference is stance and the few plays a game he drops.

If by "stance" you mean whether is hand is on the ground, that is a big difference.

I find it hard to beleive that his role will be so little changed, Kampman's cool reception to the change indicates he sees it as a big deal. Are all rush ends natural fits to be a 3-4 linebacker? Would Ezra Johnson been a good 3-4 linebacker? Your statement indicates that the postion is essentially unchanged. I don't know enough to say whether you are right or wrong.

The % of players that tried to make the switch and failed is very low, unlike popular perception.

It is a high bust rate position for college players, but no different than 4-3 DE, which also is.

Guys that have to switch DE to OLB after making it as a DE almost always work out. The ones that don't, weren't very well suited (too big) to begin with, or had injury issues.

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Who knows how it will work, but plenty of guys have handled the transition. I think he's athletic enough to handle it. I understand that he's a bit particular, but he seems to be taking on the challenge full bore.

mraynrand
07-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Guys that have to switch DE to OLB after making it as a DE almost always work out. The ones that don't, weren't very well suited (too big) to begin with, or had injury issues.

Do you think KGB would have been able to transition? The prospect of KGB as a 3-4 OLB was repeatedly trotted out over the years. I shuddered to think of him in coverage. I recall him being very out of place in coverage in a game against the 'skins in 2004 in some zone blitz schemes, but that could have just been a by-product of the horribly ill-conceived D of Slo-wit.

Patler
07-14-2009, 01:41 PM

Why?

Do you remember the game 2 or 3 years ago against the Vikings, when they tried the entire first half to block Kampman with just their tight end? Kampman had two sacks and a couple knockdowns in just the first half. The exciting thing about Kampman this year is that he might see matchups against TEs or backs more often.

Waldo
07-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Do you think KGB would have been able to transition? The prospect of KGB as a 3-4 OLB was repeatedly trotted out over the years. I shuddered to think of him in coverage. I recall him being very out of place in coverage in a game against the 'skins in 2004 in some zone blitz schemes, but that could have just been a by-product of the horribly ill-conceived D of Slo-wit.

KGB dropping into a shallow zone? Sure....

Packer fans have been numbed by years of Bates/Sanders ball. "Coverage" does not necessarily mean doing what Al does (and the big gripe with Poppinga, he isn't very good at doing what Al does). It also means dropping to a set spot, standing there, and being in the way, and paying attention to the QB, like Gilbert used to do on occasion. Could KGB cover Olsen in M2M, nope, could he cover the hook zone and late flat, sure.

It has been a very long time since GB ran any sort of pure zone coverage, and not man within zone or pattern match. Closest we came recently is the cover-4 sticks that we ran in the middle of last year on 3rd down when Al was out (and we intercepted a lot of passes).

SnakeLH2006
07-15-2009, 01:19 AM

KGB dropping into a shallow zone? Sure....

Packer fans have been numbed by years of Bates/Sanders ball. "Coverage" does not necessarily mean doing what Al does (and the big gripe with Poppinga, he isn't very good at doing what Al does). It also means dropping to a set spot, standing there, and being in the way, and paying attention to the QB, like Gilbert used to do on occasion. Could KGB cover Olsen in M2M, nope, could he cover the hook zone and late flat, sure.

It has been a very long time since GB ran any sort of pure zone coverage, and not man within zone or pattern match. Closest we came recently is the cover-4 sticks that we ran in the middle of last year on 3rd down when Al was out (and we intercepted a lot of passes).

Snake agrees as KGB wasn't just a liability at DE, but in coverage (thus his drop in snaps). Kampy is no Poppinga as he'll be fine (gray area but fine vs. what Popps could do) the 3 times a game he needs to drop back. He's basically playing the same position as the bull LB. He might (might) decline on pressures/sacks, but will be fine at OLB. Al Harris scares me much more in zone, than Kampy can/would.

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Here are quotes on his switch. Also, Kampman says that the stories about him being upset were made up. He didn't talk because he thought it was unfair to the other 10 guys making the same switch. It's possible he's being less than truthful, but it does seem that his reservations about the switch are in the past, if nothing else.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090807/PKR01/90807141/1058

Capers and outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene said this week that Kampman has been near perfect on his coverage assignments so far in camp, which is a notable feat for a guy who almost never was asked to drop into coverage, especially not against receivers, during his first seven NFL seasons.

That’s not to say teams won’t go after Kampman when he’s in coverage. During a blitz/red zone period in Friday’s practice, Kampman dropped to cover receiver Jordy Nelson in the flat. Kampman stayed with him until Nelson turned his route up the field. Playing zone, Kampman let Nelson go, but no one picked him up and he had an easy touchdown catch from Rodgers.

“There are some defenses that they’re called to do that, but there’s always help in coverage, that’s the thing,” Greene said. “If you assume proper leverage position where your hip is, you’re fine. I don’t believe we have a defense where we just match up an outside backer (on a receiver) and just say, ‘you’re locked up.’ But we do have defenses that match them up and say, ‘this is where your help is and you have to carry them on this type of leverage, stay here and cause this kind of throw.’”

What Kampman appears comfortable with is rushing the passer and stopping the run — his main duties in the old scheme. In a team run period during Tuesday night’s practice — the most physical session of camp — Kampman was in the offensive backfield play after a play. On one play, he easily got around tight end Tory Humphrey to stuff DeShawn Wynn for a loss. Two plays later, he dumped Ryan Grant in the backfield.

“He gives you a big, physical presence out there,” Capers said. “He’s a good matchup on tight ends, and he’s played down there on the tackle some. I think he’s going to give us a big, physical presence there, and that should help our run defense.”

Partial
08-08-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm not making an assumptions, but the general word thus far is he will be better than fine at this new position.

Freak Out
08-08-2009, 12:43 AM
I cannot imagine Kampy failing on the football field at this stage of his career....he'll figure it out.

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2009, 12:57 AM
I cannot imagine Kampy failing on the football field at this stage of his career....he'll figure it out.

QFT.

Kampy could be a waterboy and figure it out and be the best at getting water to vets.

IMO Kampy's position change is moot, as that dude makes plays and is a gamer 100%. Doesn't matter where he (Kampy) is...he'll excel. Kampy 4TW.

The Leaper
08-08-2009, 01:05 AM
I think Kampman will be fine in the LB role...he's not going to be a beast like he was at DE the last 3-4 years, but I didn't think he was going to be that good at DE long term anyway. He was reaching a point where his ability as a pass rusher from a 4-3 DE position was beginning to wane.

If anything, I think he extends his career at LB. He can now become a crafty veteran who is a QB on defense. That doesn't happen to a DE in a 4-3.

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2009, 01:14 AM
I think Kampman will be fine in the LB role...he's not going to be a beast like he was at DE the last 3-4 years, but I didn't think he was going to be that good at DE long term anyway. He was reaching a point where his ability as a pass rusher from a 4-3 DE position was beginning to wane.

If anything, I think he extends his career at LB. He can now become a crafty veteran who is a QB on defense. That doesn't happen to a DE in a 4-3.

Kampy exceeded all our expectations (who would have thought he'd be a Maddenesque beast at DE.....EVER) but he did it at DE. Really has been getting better with time. At LB, I don't doubt the Kamp, as he'll be getting 8-10 sacks and make us a better. Dude is a PLAYER...A real winner. He might not get the sacks (but I think he will under Greene...same type of player/winner). We'll see, but Kampy is the best YOUNG player on our D.

MichiganPackerFan
08-08-2009, 10:03 AM
I love Kampman and think he's a special.

This concerned me today:

"(Jermichael Finley) added another later when he easily beat Kampman off the line and into the right flat. " (emphasis mine)

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52698927.html

I still have concerns about Kampman in coverage.